Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.2.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the same thing. If you have found a way to download this update, please let know. Calling dealer- no hep, calling client services- no help. Stuck, with the car telling me no update available.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I finally got car updated to 1.2.1.

Here's my path to 1.2.1 shortened:

1) Called Acura CSR. 2 HRS on phone. They state it's due to car downloading 1.2.1, but failing to install the update. So the car thinks it's up to date.
2) Took it to Elk Grove Acura at around 8:15AM. They tried the normal path, HDM OTA, resetting dash by unplugging battery, and etc. Didn't work. Dealership offered a loaner car, which I was glad to take.
3) Dealer had to call Acura. Dealer found out Acura didn't include my VIN number in authorized 1.2.1 updates. Dealer had to manually upload my VIN to the Acura database. Afterwards, they used the dealer USB Method. However, the website where the dealers download 1.2.1 is different from the customers. It's a special one supposedly.

tl;dr - Schedule an appointment with a dealer. It's covered by warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX2O2O:
NooYawkuh (11-15-2019), Royki5cp (11-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Not available on my car either!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
I finally got car updated to 1.2.1.

Here's my path to 1.2.1 shortened:

1) Called Acura CSR. 2 HRS on phone. They state it's due to car downloading 1.2.1, but failing to install the update. So the car thinks it's up to date.
2) Took it to Elk Grove Acura at around 8:15AM. They tried the normal path, HDM OTA, resetting dash by unplugging battery, and etc. Didn't work. Dealership offered a loaner car, which I was glad to take.
3) Dealer had to call Acura. Dealer found out Acura didn't include my VIN number in authorized 1.2.1 updates. Dealer had to manually upload my VIN to the Acura database. Afterwards, they used the dealer USB Method. However, the website where the dealers download 1.2.1 is different from the customers. It's a special one supposedly.

tl;dr - Schedule an appointment with a dealer. It's covered by warranty.
Thanks for the info. I'll mention the VIN database when I bring mine in.

What is this CSR line you called?
Old 11-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Link

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh

https://www.acura.com/contact-us#contact-us
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Hey, just wanted to thank you so much for this info! I have an appointment with my dealer on Tuesday. I will take a copy of you post and hopefully get my firmware updated. I’m sure this will help them as well, because they had not experienced this problem. I’m thoroughly disgusted with their customer service. Have been calling for two weeks and only get voice mail and no call backs. Your post was what I’ve been looking for. THANK AGAIN!
Old 11-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
The Lord be with all y'all: I have been working on my new knee with the nicest Physical Therapist ever....really, she is kicking my butt! So, today I snuck past the security detail my wife set up to keep me from driving and went to check up on the UpdateL. NADA! It still says I am up to date. No, it didn't happen automatically, though I set that up before I went into the hospital.

I even got a mailer from Acura telling me how it will be happening.....but I guess my car is exempt? Seriously, anyone else experiencing this?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes, mine is stuck at 1.1.4 as well (2019 Tech) and tells me there are no updates. I have called Acura who told me to go to the dealership. Stopped into the dealership at lunch one day and they did everything I already had done (reset the system, tried forcing an update, etc.). The Service Manager pulled up my VIN in their system and somewhere along the way, it appears to have attempted the update, but it failed and they think it is now at 1.2.1, but it is not. (same as another posting from earlier in this thread). He asked that I schedule an appointment so they could dig further into it. Appointment was yesterday....I waited about 1-2 hours and they told me it was up to date. We went to verify and nope....its still 1.1.4. The tech came out and did yet another factory reboot. NADA. They then told me they thought my VIN maybe wasn't part of the update and wasn't eligible. I pulled up this forum and showed them the tech document on the update. I also told them that they needed to update my VIN in the Acura DB and re-authorize my car, then put the update on manually. So, visit 3 to the dealer is Thursday, but at least they are giving me a loaner this time.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chappyja
Yes, mine is stuck at 1.1.4 as well (2019 Tech) and tells me there are no updates. I have called Acura who told me to go to the dealership. Stopped into the dealership at lunch one day and they did everything I already had done (reset the system, tried forcing an update, etc.). The Service Manager pulled up my VIN in their system and somewhere along the way, it appears to have attempted the update, but it failed and they think it is now at 1.2.1, but it is not. (same as another posting from earlier in this thread). He asked that I schedule an appointment so they could dig further into it. Appointment was yesterday....I waited about 1-2 hours and they told me it was up to date. We went to verify and nope....its still 1.1.4. The tech came out and did yet another factory reboot. NADA. They then told me they thought my VIN maybe wasn't part of the update and wasn't eligible. I pulled up this forum and showed them the tech document on the update. I also told them that they needed to update my VIN in the Acura DB and re-authorize my car, then put the update on manually. So, visit 3 to the dealer is Thursday, but at least they are giving me a loaner this time.
If I'm not mistaken, the latest firmware can be downloaded on a PC, moved to a flash drive, and installed from there. I've never had to do this but I thought it was an option.
Royki5cp (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I think your car still has to register with Acura as being authorized to accept the update - but someone smarter then me probably knows more in this forum.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
If I'm not mistaken, the latest firmware can be downloaded on a PC, moved to a flash drive, and installed from there. I've never had to do this but I thought it was an option.
The manual claims it is an option, but whether anyone has gotten it to work is a different question.

I did manage to install map updates by this route last year, before they were immediately pulled, and I succeeded in causing my built-in Nav to display a "maps out of date" warning every single time I try to calculate a route to a destination.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:59 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Mustachio
I've tried it and couldn't get it to work. I'm still on D1.1.2. Has anyone been successful?

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ia-usb-982467/
Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to change the subject, but just an FYI....

I rented a 2019 Ford Edge Titanium for a trip to one of our DC's...

Hooked my Galaxy S10+ in the USB slot, and it found my phone and up came Android Auto with my Pandora playing...

Went into the Android Auto screen on the vehicle and it had Waze, so I started that...

Worked kinda...was wonky...it would go in and out of the maps.... meaning it would go in and show you as the little triangle, then it would go farther out and show the bigger map, and it did that constantly....also, I only got 2 alerts on a 6 hour drive for 'vehicle on the side of the road' and no alerts for police....twice it totally stopped working where I had to unplug and re-plug my cell and sometimes 'ok google' wouldn't respond.

So, I would switch to google maps and that was flawless...

But, what I wanted to point out was how seamless it connected to my cell and Android Auto worked flawless with the exception of Waze...it was there to use but it was wonky.

It seems Waze has issues in other vehicles also, not just the RDX.
rdxny (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced

I took mine into the dealer this morning and my vin number was not in the D1.2.1 database. They had to call Acura and someone was able to load the vin and then they loaded the firmware. It shows to have the update now. Still need to check it all out tomorrow. The AndroidAuto is now on my home screen. ALL 2019 and 2020 have the update, so take it to the dealer and demand the get this loaded. Tell them to call David McDavid in Plano Texas, as they were the one that got mine loaded. We shouldn’t have to jump through these hoops to get a software update. I had previously loaded 2 previous updates with my WiFi.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Royki5cp
I took mine into the dealer this morning and my vin number was not in the D1.2.1 database. They had to call Acura and someone was able to load the vin and then they loaded the firmware. It shows to have the update now. Still need to check it all out tomorrow. The AndroidAuto is now on my home screen. ALL 2019 and 2020 have the update, so take it to the dealer and demand the get this loaded. Tell them to call David McDavid in Plano Texas, as they were the one that got mine loaded. We shouldn’t have to jump through these hoops to get a software update. I had previously loaded 2 previous updates with my WiFi.
You had downloaded and installed two previous updates but your VIN was not in the database? Do they come out with a new VIN database for every update? Add some vehicles and leave some off?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up My update at dealer. Version D1.2.1

I don’t know for sure, but just suspect that any update would require a new data base of vin #s as it may or may not apply to all RDX models. I think for some reason a lot of vehicles did not get input in order for the car to get the update. As you click on the WiFi or usb update, it searches the data base to see if your car is effected. If your vin # isn’t in the database you will see “no update is available” or you are “up to date”, which you know is not true if you don’t have the Android Auto or checking the system version should read D 1.2.1
Funz51 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by billyt1963
I have an iPhone, so can't try this out.

Someone posted on YouTube how to get Waze on Android Auto on the RDX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHd11x8ehE

Hope it helps.

Billy
This did it for me. Thanks so much. Happy to finally have AA with Waze working in my RDX now!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Skeptic

My car has been at the dealer since Monday and they still haven't been able to install the update. First, they called Acura tech support. Then they replaced the head unit. They were only able to install up to 1.1.4.

If they replaced the head unit, and they still can't load software, it can't be a hardware or software problem. I has to be a configuration issue. Something outside the car. Something with the update database, VIN #, serial numbers, etc. Of course the Head unit is just one of many serialized parts on the car, with a MAC address, and who TF knows how many other hardware identifiers.

Funny, I was able to update the map software no problem. More people have had trouble with that. But now I'm thinking when I get the car back, the old map software will be there. Or, does the map software reside in a different physical unit?
Old 01-24-2020, 07:03 AM
Skeptic

The issue has been elevated to an engineer out in California. They're saying the infotainment head unit does not appear to be communicating properly with the engine control module. They put back the original head unit because there was probably nothing wrong with it.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Skeptic

The saga continues. Now, the engineer is planning to fly here next week. They claim they've seen 3 incidents like this nationwide. Lucky me.

The tech reiterated the comm issue between the head unit and the ECM/ECU. He says the system may have to be wiped and reloaded while retaining all the historical data for the vehicle, like mileage and performance data.

I wonder what this is costing.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Dunno, but they have to solve these things.

Cars are getting more complex and computer-like, and if they can’t reliably make it work, someone else will.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
The saga continues. Now, the engineer is planning to fly here next week. They claim they've seen 3 incidents like this nationwide. Lucky me.

The tech reiterated the comm issue between the head unit and the ECM/ECU. He says the system may have to be wiped and reloaded while retaining all the historical data for the vehicle, like mileage and performance data.

I wonder what this is costing.
If they dont know what's wrong with it, why can't they remove all the stuff (ECU/Infoteniment and other electronics) and replace them. Yes, its expensive, but it will solve the problem without you waiting. Sounds like they are trying to save money by trying to find the exact cause.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
If they dont know what's wrong with it, why can't they remove all the stuff (ECU/Infoteniment and other electronics) and replace them. Yes, its expensive, but it will solve the problem without you waiting. Sounds like they are trying to save money by trying to find the exact cause.
Sounds to me that they are using his car as a test mule. Yes, it is important for them to solve the problem, but it is important for him to get on the road in a fixed car. They seem to be choosing their needs over his.
fogdoctor (03-02-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Skeptic

They did replace the head unit, at first. It didn't solve the problem. They put back the old head unit. I expected they would and I don't blame them because that's what I would have done. There was probably nothing wrong with it and there may be nothing wrong with the ECM. The engineer wants the system to be "baseline" as it was when I brought it in with the original problem, whatever THAT is so they can diagnose it. When you're troubleshooting, you want to solve the problem you have, not introduce new problems and variables. You need to isolate the fault, not go around in circles.

I have an EE background and I've worked with systems like this all my life. I don't know anything about the architecture of this system, but I assume the infotainment software doesn't just get loaded into the head unit. It probably fans out to other firmware based units in the car so they all work together. If it can't, it reverts back. Not knowing more, I can't object to their approach.

In the mean time, I have an identical loaner so I have no reason to be a dick about it.

lausy (01-28-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Sounds to me that they are using his car as a test mule. Yes, it is important for them to solve the problem, but it is important for him to get on the road in a fixed car. They seem to be choosing their needs over his.
yeah, and the problem might not be his dealer, but rather Acura. Honda warranty will not pay dealer for massive replacement of all (most) electronic components, it only pays to replace exact component that failed. He might need to escalate it to corporate and tell them that he wants his car back and if they dont know what is the root cause of the problem, they should replace everything as its not his problem.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

They did replace the head unit, at first. It didn't solve the problem. They put back the old head unit. I expected they would and I don't blame them because that's what I would have done. There was probably nothing wrong with it and there may be nothing wrong with the ECM. The engineer wants the system to be "baseline" as it was when I brought it in with the original problem, whatever THAT is so they can diagnose it. When you're troubleshooting, you want to solve the problem you have, not introduce new problems and variables. You need to isolate the fault, not go around in circles.

I have an EE background and I've worked with systems like this all my life. I don't know anything about the architecture of this system, but I assume the infotainment software doesn't just get loaded into the head unit. It probably fans out to other firmware based units in the car so they all work together. If it can't, it reverts back. Not knowing more, I can't object to their approach.

In the mean time, I have an identical loaner so I have no reason to be a dick about it.
Their engineering approach to solve problems is correct, but why does it need to inconvenience you?
the problem will be gone if they replace all electronics that have anything to do with infoteinment.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Skeptic

yeah, and the problem might not be his dealer, but rather Acura. Honda warranty will not pay dealer for massive replacement of all (most) electronic components, it only pays to replace exact component that failed. He might need to escalate it to corporate and tell them that he wants his car back and if they dont know what is the root cause of the problem, they should replace everything as its not his problem.
I don't expect something like this to be fixed by techs at the dealer. It may not even be a hardware problem. The car functions pretty much flawlessly beyond the the occasional common "glitch" which we've all had and always just goes away.

If they replaced everything electronic or computerized in the car, they would still have to re-image the software and firmware in an orderly fashion. I assume, that's what they plan to do. And it will probably work. If not, we'll go from there.

The tech mentioned he got the same code that I've gotten once or twice during an attempt to update the software. I posted about it previously in this thread. Accodring to this, Acura is "... aware of this issue, and have it under investigation.". That was 15 months ago.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46074-9999.pdf

Old 01-25-2020, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't expect something like this to be fixed by techs at the dealer. It may not even be a hardware problem. The car functions pretty much flawlessly beyond the the occasional common "glitch" which we've all had and always just goes away.

If they replaced everything electronic or computerized in the car, they would still have to re-image the software and firmware in an orderly fashion. I assume, that's what they plan to do. And it will probably work. If not, we'll go from there.

The tech mentioned he got the same code that I've gotten once or twice during an attempt to update the software. I posted about it previously in this thread. Accodring to this, Acura is "... aware of this issue, and have it under investigation.". That was 15 months ago.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46074-9999.pdf

Demand a new car and let them study yours in the lab
Old 01-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Skeptic

Demand a new car and let them study yours in the lab
That won't cut it. What about my inconvenience and emotional distress?
Old 01-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Drifting

That won't cut it. What about my inconvenience and emotional distress?
Make them include a therapy dog.

For the car. The thing clearly has issues.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:29 PM
Skeptic

Got the car back today. They put back new head unit. I didn't ask if that was necessary but the tech just said that they ordered it fior me, so they might as well put it in. I guess it's paid for anyway and the dealer doesn't get anything for returning it to inventory. Cost to me $0.00. Cost to Acura, over $2,600. I assume that's only what the dealer is billing. Probably be a lot more once the field tech puts in his expense report.

The software is now 1.2.1 and the tech told me that everything has been made right with the VIN database and he assures me I will have no problems doing OTA updates in the future. It's like a factory reset, so all my presets are gone. No biggie. I figure, during the life of the car, I'll probably have to do that from time to time anyway.

The good news is the engine idle stop has started working again. The bad news is, the map update is gone. It's back to Feb 2018. To make matters worse, I erased it from the USB, so I'm downloading it again now. Hey, I never thought I would need THAT again.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Drifting

The head unit will get rebuilt, or "recertified", or some such thing, so that's kinda funny money to Acura. But the labor cost and expense report is real money.

Hope it stays "fixed".
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djdaddykool
This might be true for older Android versions, but for Android10 there is no separate app that you can launch that loads with the settings menu as shown in this video. Therefore you cannot tap to get into developer mode.

I'm on Android 10 PixelXL2
Not true. You can get into developer mode in Android 10 by going into regular Settings> About Phone > Build Number. Tap on Build Number 8 or 10 times and that will open up developer options under the Advanced settings in Settings> System.
Once you are a developer, the developer options will show up in the Android Auto Settings just like is shown in the video. I'm running Android 10 on a Pixel 4 XL , I did what the video showed, went to the garage, plugged my phone into my RDX and there was Waze for the first time on my car's screen. It worked like a charm.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Drifting

I find Waze’s routing to suck.

We are leaving Naples FL tomorrow, and Acura, Google maps, and Apple maps all say to go one way, while Waze says to go a different way. I know these roads and have gone both ways over the years, and Waze’s way is the absolute worst way to go.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 02-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Skeptic

All the apps, ... Android Auto, Google Maps, Waze, etc., work much better on the phone than they do in the car. And my 10 year old Garmin Nuvi still works better than all of them, including the built in nav.

Pretty sad.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

finally updated mine, turns out had to start the car. It would say no updates when car was in accessory mode, even though it was connected to wifi. Would be helpful if Acura explained whats needed for update to work.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:47 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Phone un-paired

I spoke too soon when I said everything looked okay after the update. My Android phone is no longer paired. It was still on the device list so I deleted it and paired again. It seemed to go okay, but it doesn't work. I guess I will reread this thread to see if there are any known solutions.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:08 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
I spoke too soon when I said everything looked okay after the update. My Android phone is no longer paired. It was still on the device list so I deleted it and paired again. It seemed to go okay, but it doesn't work. I guess I will reread this thread to see if there are any known solutions.
You are in the D.1.2.1 thread from last year...
Old 05-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by DJA123
You are in the D.1.2.1 thread from last year...
I'll ask my wife to give me another dope slap.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
I'll ask my wife to give me another dope slap.
Gotta make sure my wife never sees this. It would be bad for me... very bad.

Quick Reply: Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.2.1