Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.2.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 12:25 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had one issue that pops up every now and then...

It won't recognize "ok googlle" sometimes and I have to take the USB cable out and reconnect.

I'm using a Galaxy S10+
Old 11-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1.2.1 observation

First, I appreciate the update by Acura.

My observation (have 2019 April build):

1) OTA installation went smooth. Installed day after release.
2) Drive mode unavailable error occurred this morning (1 time since 1.2.1 update, and screen dimming periodically while in error). After car sat for 4-5 hours, it didn't come up again.
3) USB drive initializing still an issue when starting. Interestingly for few days after 1.2.1, I didn't have this issue, but now I'm still seeing it. When this issue happens, I just unplug USB drive and re-plug and music from USB loads up immediately.
4) Overall infotainment app, or switching from app to app feels little more robust. Not sure if this is just perception or things have improved.

Question to owners? after 1.2.1 update (or any FW updates), do you recommend Factory Reset thru onscreen menu or three finger salute reset? (maybe equivalent to clear cache wipe on Android). Thanks.

IMHO good update, hoping fore more improvements soon.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Just completed an interesting test with CarPlay. I let the car fully boot up before connecting my IPhone which I had put directions in Apple Maps for my test. I started driving and within a few miles the CarPlay had crashed. I tried unplugging/plugging back in the Lightning cable from the phone and the USB slot in the RDX and neither would revive the Carplay connection. Then with the Lightning cable plugged into the phone and the car I powered off my IPhone and when I powered it back on the Carplay connection became live again. I did NOT need to pull over and restart the car to get the Carplay to be active again.

This test leads me to think that the Carplay crash happened within the phone versus the car as rebooting the phone re-established a live Carplay connection again. After this rebooting of my IPhone I continued using the Apple Maps via Carplay and it did NOT crash again for over 20 minutes of driving. Not sure what this examples shows but at least it is some additional data.
Alright folks the plot thickens. I just tested my work IPhone XR 64GB with Carplay using Apple Maps and it worked fine with ZERO crashes. Thus this is pointing towards some sort of issue with my XS Max. Both phones are running the latest IOS 13.2.2. Maybe some corrupt data, iffy lightning port (although I’ve only be using wireless charging since new) so highly unlikely I have a damaged lightning port. I’m backing up my IPhone XS Max to ITunes now and will then factory reset it to do more testing to see if “corrupt data” could be at fault.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Thanks. I am just curious...wondering if some of the issues sometimes aren't related to an older phone (mine is a 6S+...so pretty old.) I have had issues (not since the update, at least yet) where I had to disconnect and restart my phone to get things working again.
i’m still using an iPhone 6, and have had no issues with Carplay in 18 months. I mainly use google maps, and don’t stream music from my phone very often (mostly use Sirius XM). I’ve been hesitant to upgrade since it seems to me from following this forum that the newer phones have more issues.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I have had zero issues using CarPlay with my XS Max since the update.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 127 Posts
No problems using Car Play here. The only time I notice it not connecting is after plugging in I have to unlock my 10S Max then everything is fine. This only happens occasionally and it’s no big deal to just look at the screen.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Pro

Alright folks the plot thickens. I just tested my work IPhone XR 64GB with Carplay using Apple Maps and it worked fine with ZERO crashes. Thus this is pointing towards some sort of issue with my XS Max. Both phones are running the latest IOS 13.2.2. Maybe some corrupt data, iffy lightning port (although I’ve only be using wireless charging since new) so highly unlikely I have a damaged lightning port. I’m backing up my IPhone XS Max to ITunes now and will then factory reset it to do more testing to see if “corrupt data” could be at fault.
My XS Max works fine with Carplay after factory resetting it. Thus there must be some corrupt data somewhere that is causing the crashes . I have no idea on how to find where the corrupt data might be so I can remove it. Any IOS techies on here have any thoughts? Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Went to the dealer yesterday and got my free A1 service. Receipt says they updated the software.

But they didn't. Still D.1.1.2.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Went to the dealer yesterday and got my free A1 service. Receipt says they updated the software.

Only way to update it apparently is through the dealership or wait for a new update I think. I called the Acura CSR line. They said it looks like the system downloaded the update, and then partially updated and failed. So it looks like update is complete on their system unless they manually check. Person on line said you have to take it to dealer, because the dealer has tools to force the update. Ugh.... this is a lot of work to get an update.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts

“Yeah, we updated the software. But we didn’t install it. Did you want it installed too?”
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
MrmissmyTLX (11-12-2019), NooYawkuh (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 127 Posts
My XS Max works fine with Carplay after factory resetting it. Thus there must be some corrupt data somewhere that is causing the crashes . I have no idea on how to find where the corrupt data might be so I can remove it. Any IOS techies on here have any thoughts? Thanks!!
Periodically turn your iPhone off for one to two minutes then back on. This helps to delete bad data and clear its cache. I do it about twice a month. Also whenever a new system update comes out for the car I write down all my presets and do a factory reset. With that I have the occasional to no bugs/errors using CarPlay or any other app in the system.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
Only way to update it apparently is through the dealership or wait for a new update I think. I called the Acura CSR line. They said it looks like the system downloaded the update, and then partially updated and failed. So it looks like update is complete on their system unless they manually check. Person on line said you have to take it to dealer, because the dealer has tools to force the update. Ugh.... this is a lot of work to get an update.
I asked to see them do the update, because I figured they'd just connect to the AHMOTA network. But the guy told me they connect to a computer (or som'p'n').

I've also gotten this code a couple times. So, something is just plain fucked up.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
I asked to see them do the update, because I figured they'd just connect to the AHMOTA network. But the guy told me they connect to a computer (or som'p'n').

I've also gotten this code a couple times. So, something is just plain fucked up.
Dealer "forcing the update" must be via their computerized HDS ( Honda Diagnostic System ). That's how they apply firmware updates to other embedded modules in the vehicle.

If Acura is tracking the vehicles that have downloaded and applied the update, I need to completely rethink how the updates are being distributed. I had assumed it was just a publicly accessible update that could be downloaded and applied at the customers request, like the vast majority of computer updates. Guess not.
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Dealer "forcing the update" must be via their computerized HDS ( Honda Diagnostic System ). That's how they apply firmware updates to other embedded modules in the vehicle.

If Acura is tracking the vehicles that have downloaded and applied the update, I need to completely rethink how the updates are being distributed. I had assumed it was just a publicly accessible update that could be downloaded and applied at the customers request, like the vast majority of computer updates. Guess not.
FYI, If you use the USB to update, the last step is to plug the usb drive back into your computer to tell Acura what you did. So they know...
So if you have an OTA update issue, go to your users manual, and use the USB method.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Funz51
FYI, If you use the USB to update, the last step is to plug the usb drive back into your computer to tell Acura what you did. So they know...
So if you have an OTA update issue, go to your users manual, and use the USB method.
I've tried the USB method also and got stymied there too. I don't remember the details but I couldn't get it to work. Mybee I'll try it again just for the helluvit but I'll probably just stop off at the dealer again on my way home from work one day soon.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Periodically turn your iPhone off for one to two minutes then back on. This helps to delete bad data and clear its cache. I do it about twice a month. Also whenever a new system update comes out for the car I write down all my presets and do a factory reset. With that I have the occasional to no bugs/errors using CarPlay or any other app in the system.
Yeah I’m in wireless so I do that several times per week (power cycling my phone) and I have for years. After restoring my XS Max from the ITunes backup I used the maps twice today for 30 minutes or so each time with ZERO crashes. Thus my bad data/corruption seems to be cleared out. The good news is IPhone users can feel confident that their Carplay should be stable for the most part!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced

USB Method

USB method gives you a JSON file to upload. Problem is the JSON file thinks it's 1.2.1 as the car successfully downloaded the update, but failed to install it. I tried. Person at Acura said only way is dealership.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:38 PM
10th Gear

Too good to be true

I knew it was too good to be true. Been running great since the update. As someone else mentioned started feeling really great about this vehicle again.

Yesterday - had the problem of CarPlay disconnecting from the phone and not reconnecting no matter what I tried. Did not reboot phone, but plugged, unplugged, etc. First time since update. However, as I’ve noticed previously it happened geographically at the same spot on my drive home as I have seen frequently in the past. Almost like a questionable cell tower or switch from 5Ge to LTE or something. Odd.

Tonight, started car up with iPhone plugged in already. Apple Maps came up and showed route Home. A few seconds later I had the “beep” that always accompanied the full, hard crash of the Infotainment system (previously requiring the fuse pull trick to restart). But this time had a Blue Screen with message saying something along the lines of: Network communication error. System will reboot now to recover.” Sure enough it did auto-reboot and came back up normally.

So, still way better than it used to be but not totally fixed.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Oh. No.

A BSOD? Never had that one in the car.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
must be good car if the top thread talks about infotainment which is way low on my list of importance
Old 11-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Cruisin'

Has anyone else notice that since the update, the real-time traffic data is no longer visible on the nav?

Note - I am in Canada.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found that with my iPhone and Siri I can do everything I need without CarPlay. True I can't use GoogleMaps or Waze, but the nav system in my 2020 RDX Advance is adequate. Plus I can use Acuralink to preplan nav addresses. And final bonus, the next turn appears on my heads up display. I tried using CarPlay (true before this last update) but it crashed within the first 10 miles I drove the car. I heard the "beep" and then the screen went blank. No sirius, no FM radio, no blue tooth, no anything. The Acura nav worked, but with no sound. I have now been driving it for 2 weeks with 0 issues with just the Acura functions. Just a different learning curve.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
1. Probably been answered before but on AA...google maps has me located in another part of the city doin weird turns. How do I reposition my location on the map.

2. How do I add apps like whatsapp icon and others to my AA homescreen.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by eswanborg
I knew it was too good to be true. Been running great since the update. As someone else mentioned started feeling really great about this vehicle again.

Yesterday - had the problem of CarPlay disconnecting from the phone and not reconnecting no matter what I tried. Did not reboot phone, but plugged, unplugged, etc. First time since update. However, as I’ve noticed previously it happened geographically at the same spot on my drive home as I have seen frequently in the past. Almost like a questionable cell tower or switch from 5Ge to LTE or something. Odd.

Tonight, started car up with iPhone plugged in already. Apple Maps came up and showed route Home. A few seconds later I had the “beep” that always accompanied the full, hard crash of the Infotainment system (previously requiring the fuse pull trick to restart). But this time had a Blue Screen with message saying something along the lines of: Network communication error. System will reboot now to recover.” Sure enough it did auto-reboot and came back up normally.

So, still way better than it used to be but not totally fixed.

I have the same crash but with a Pixel 3 and AA running Waze. System rebooted and work again. Still sucks but much better than pulling fuse.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Oh. No.

A BSOD? Never had that one in the car.
Maybe they changed the OS to Windows?
Old 11-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Owner's Manual?

( Freudian slip, perhaps? )

Gawd, this thing really is a rolling computer...
Old 11-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Call Ahead

I've tried the USB method also and got stymied there too. I don't remember the details but I couldn't get it to work. Mybee I'll try it again just for the helluvit but I'll probably just stop off at the dealer again on my way home from work one day soon.
You should call ahead. I called my dealer to schedule an appointment, and there are specific techs that handle this issue. I tried to schedule on a Saturday, but dealership recommended I schedule another day, to have the correct techs that can handle this issue.

It's pretty lame. The issue is that you have to explain the same thing over and over.

Me: Hey, I'm on 1.1.2/1.1.4, but I know 1.2.1 update is out. My car won't update.
CSR at Acura and also CSR at Dealer: When you install the update, android auto isn't in homepage, you have to add it manually. (Ugh.... I guess this happens too much they just automatically say this).
Me: Yeah, I know that, but the car simply won't update. I tried WiFi, USB, and OTA. I even reset the settings.
CSR at Acura and also CSR at Dealer: Yeah, so did you check if there is an android auto icon though at the main page though?
Me: "sigh" Yes, I checked, and there is no android auto icon at the main page.....

This is worsened by the first Acura CSR disconnecting with me by accident, and I had the same conversation with the second Acura CSR. I swear it was a similar convo with the Acura dealer. So apparently hella people call in and not notice they have to add the icon to the shortcut page manually.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Drifting

I think you left the quotation marks off of “by accident”.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:56 PM
Skeptic

You should call ahead. I called my dealer to schedule an appointment, and there are specific techs that handle this issue.
My dealer's service department doesn't schedule "routine" maintenance. I pulled in there on Monday for the A1 service and they did it in about 45 minutes. Receipt says they did the firmware update but they didn't. I didn't bother to actually check until I got home. They must have seen "Software is up to date" and just stopped right there.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Drifting

My dealer's service department doesn't schedule "routine" maintenance. I pulled in there on Monday for the A1 service and they did it in about 45 minutes. Receipt says they did the firmware update but they didn't. I didn't bother to actually check until I got home. They must have seen "Software is up to date" and just stopped right there.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine won’t update

Have tried a dozen times on different Wifi networks. Did the 3 finger reboot. Nada. Just says it’s up to date. Tried resetting Wifi connection. Nada. I have AcuraLink subscription. Doesn’t matter. Dropped into the dealership and they couldn’t get it to update on the Acura Wifi. They reset to factory settings. Nope. Stuck on 1.1.4. Service manager checked my vin on the Acura update system and it said my system failed an update on 11/8 as incomplete. I didn’t do that. It never even started an update nor showed that one was available. Then it showed a successful update to 1.2.x. It never did that update. We sanity checked. He had no idea what to do at that point. Oh yeah there is also a recall that they said I needed. Hmmmmmm. He suggested that I make an appointment to drop the car off. Ugh.

2019 RDX SH-AWD-13,500 miles

Last edited by chappyja; 11-14-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Car info
Old 11-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Dealer

Originally Posted by chappyja
Have tried a dozen times on different Wifi networks. Did the 3 finger reboot. Nada. Just says it’s up to date. Tried resetting Wifi connection. Nada. I have AcuraLink subscription. Doesn’t matter. Dropped into the dealership and they couldn’t get it to update on the Acura Wifi. They reset to factory settings. Nope. Stuck on 1.1.4. Service manager checked my vin on the Acura update system and it said my system failed an update on 11/8 as incomplete. I didn’t do that. It never even started an update nor showed that one was available. Then it showed a successful update to 1.2.x. It never did that update. We sanity checked. He had no idea what to do at that point. Oh yeah there is also a recall that they said I needed. Hmmmmmm. He suggested that I make an appointment to drop the car off. Ugh.

2019 RDX SH-AWD-13,500 miles
I'm going to dealer now. Let's see what they says.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced

2 hr

So far 2 HR wait, they tried all the easy method. Got a loaner car. They tried downgrading the system to original version and do the upgrade, but it didn't work.

Now they said they going to wipe memory. So this led to the long wait and loaner car. Dealer is doing their best though. Cars are getting complicated. I wish Consumer Reports didn't downgrade Honda/Acura reliability over the infotainment issue.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,892 Posts
I wish Consumer Reports didn't downgrade Honda/Acura reliability over the infotainment issue.
Why not? If this doesn't become a big deal, Acura is never going to fix things. I've been around Honda/Acura long enough to know that they only ever make things right once it becomes a big deal.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Point A to Point B

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Why not? If this doesn't become a big deal, Acura is never going to fix things. I've been around Honda/Acura long enough to know that they only ever make things right once it becomes a big deal.
I agree to a certain extent. The issue is that the main purpose of a car is getting from point A to point B.

If car reliability is really important to me, I would consider "reliability" for a car to be defined by point A to point B reliability with reasonable maintenance price. I haven't driven an Acura that's newer then a 2002, but my experience with buying Acuras with 110k miles and going to 250k miles easily is what made me choose the RDX when I graduated with my doctorate. Since, I remember the reliability of Acuras during my broke schooling days.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Drifting

Here is where the crux of the matter is, and what I have against CU in the first place.

I can live with infotainment quirkinesses. I get ticked off, but I can live with it. I can’t live with a sloppy suspension, a numb and yacht-like ride, or a crappy drivetrain.

This car drives great. Period. The End.

Took the car out for a run today, and it did great. Had Amazon Prime HD running via Carplay, and no issues. Hit some twisties, and the suspension handled it like a champ. Power when I needed it, etc. coming home on a more travelled route, set up the cruise control at 7 over the local limit and let radar pace me behind the car in front. Worked perfectly.

CU thinks a great two seater is an El Camino. I don’t agree with their taste in vehicles.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 11-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,892 Posts
I can live with infotainment quirkinesses. I get ticked off, but I can live with it. I can’t live with a sloppy suspension, a numb and yacht-like ride, or a crappy drivetrain.
Different strokes for different folks. Some folks (I would say the vast majority actually given how many cars Lexus sells) don't care that the cars drive like boat or have steering that's as numb as a coked out streetwalker on her last shift of the night. They got what they were expecting, which is fine. And if an infotainment system is slow, that's fine, it is what it is. However, nobody expects an infotainment system to be buggy. Even if it's not a dealbreaker, it's not a good sign that something that is supposed to work doesn't work.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Here is where the crux of the matter is, and what I have against CU in the first place.

This car drives great. Period. The End.

Took the car out for a run today, and it did great. Had Amazon Prime HD running via Carplay, and no issues. Hit some twisties, and the suspension handled it like a champ. Power when I needed it, etc. coming home on a more travelled route, set up the cruise control at 7 over the local limit and let radar pace me behind the car in front. Worked perfectly.

CU thinks a great two seater is an El Camino. I don’t agree with their taste in vehicles.
I agree with you 100%. And now that the RDX Infotainment software has been updated, and with most of the glitches fixed, the next thing we will see is updated and improved "reliability" ratings. (purposely put it in quotes as I agree that infotainment glitches don't really belong in reliability ratings).
Old 11-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Drifting

I agree to a certain extent. The issue is that the main purpose of a car is getting from point A to point B.

If car reliability is really important to me, I would consider "reliability" for a car to be defined by point A to point B reliability with reasonable maintenance price. I haven't driven an Acura that's newer then a 2002, but my experience with buying Acuras with 110k miles and going to 250k miles easily is what made me choose the RDX when I graduated with my doctorate. Since, I remember the reliability of Acuras during my broke schooling days.
And Acura is blatantly coasting on that past record of reliability while it aggressively cuts costs to maximize profit. It's not only CR that has picked up on the high rate of problems with recent Acura vehicles, it's JD Power and everyone else who does such things for a living.

I agree that a crashing infotainment system isn't the same level of severity as a dead engine or transmission in terms of the basic function of a car as a transportation appliance. But connectivity and navigation, via either built-in features or enabled by smartphone integration, are increasingly important in people's "second home".

Hate to say, but driving enthusiasts may be a dying breed. Connectivity junkies, not so much.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Skeptic

I'm in Mad dogs camp. I buy a car for its driving, ride, handling characteristics and its ability to meet my day to day needs. Not for the stereo, navigation or how it works with my phone. Which is mostly stuff I don't have time to properly evaluate even during multiple test drives anyway. 98% of what I do while I'm in the car is drive the car. EVERYTHING else is secondary.

That said, I bought a car with an infotainment system that has embedded software. I don't plan and I won't accept the software not being updated for the life of the car.

The TSB on this says not to replace the head unit because there's nothing wrong with it. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...screen-970518/

Quick Reply: Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.2.1