Map Update is "live"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
Use a 32 gb flash drive.
Second that. I used 32GB FAT32 formatted and it downloaded fine (took a while) and then inserted it into the USB port in the car, drove up North, and voila, map updated.
It could be that the downloader can't handle the partition size.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Second that. I used 32GB FAT32 formatted and it downloaded fine (took a while) and then inserted it into the USB port in the car, drove up North, and voila, map updated.
It could be that the downloader can't handle the partition size.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
That is what my Garmin used to do. You had to run the Garmin downloader, and it took about the same, slow time.

My download speed is 100 Mbps, so 15 GB should come down in a couple of minutes (150,000 Mb should come down in around 2 1/2 minutes) but it took almost an hour.
And Garmin offers the option to download the maps to local storage for use in their desktop mapping software as well as on portable devices or embedded vehicle systems.

But also, Garmin maps require all kinds of cross-indexing between map segments, and that's part of what sucks up time and computing resources. The mapdownloader app may do the heavy lifting in temporary files on the computer's main storage device.

It used to take many hours to build large maps for installation on Garmin portable devices. Dunno if the maps for RDX are in a similar format, but it kinda feels the same.

I don't think there is a nefarious purpose behind the "Administrator" permissions, just legacy code and/or legacy map format.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

If you watch the downloader process you would notice that is downloading 1500 separate chunks of map data and they are individually checked for no errors.So it is not a singular large linear download. That is what takes up the time.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I am happy to report that after a week of waiting for HERE customer support I FINALLY get my map update for my VIN. HERE customer responded to my email saying they are investigating. I went on the Acura Navigation punch in my VIN and Navigation version, voila, I get the download page.

I will download the update map tonight and try my luck with the updates.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
I am happy to report that after a week of waiting for HERE customer support I FINALLY get my map update for my VIN. HERE customer responded to my email saying they are investigating. I went on the Acura Navigation punch in my VIN and Navigation version, voila, I get the download page.

I will download the update map tonight and try my luck with the updates.
OTOH, the CT roads have not changed, and The Merritt is where The Merritt was.

(I have a fine memory of chasing an Alfa down The Merritt at near triple digit speeds. But that was in my rash, untutored youth.)

Last edited by Madd Dog; 12-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HERE is trolling me now!! I'm getting HERE ads on other pages I visit telling me to keep my maps up to date.

Well played HERE, well played!

Good thing Android Auto has been working great for me. I'm sure I will do as russianDude did and ignore the new map anyway. BUT it's the principal of it. Gimme my map!!!
Old 12-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by djdaddykool
If you watch the downloader process you would notice that is downloading 1500 separate chunks of map data and they are individually checked for no errors.So it is not a singular large linear download. That is what takes up the time.
Yes, error check is part of it. But in past map systems all those pieces also needed to be stitched together for rapid referencing on dog slow processors with minimal RAM. I don't know if that's still true, I'm merely speculating.

Anyway it's pretty freaking slow.

Originally Posted by 97ws6
HERE is trolling me now!! I'm getting HERE ads on other pages I visit telling me to keep my maps up to date.

That's almost as annoying as getting prodded to update your maps by the car, after you already updated the maps, and that's what started the prodding.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

(I have a fine memory of chasing an Alfa down The Merritt at near triple digit speeds. But that was in my rash, untutored youth.)
True, but i like to keep my things up-to-date. Sometimes i get myself in trouble for always having the latest and greatest.

Map updating is going well but not without some glitches. My 32 GB USB 2.0 Sandisk was bad or not recognized by HERE Map Downloader. I format the drive at least 3 times using FAT32. Fortunately i got a few 32 GB USB 2.0 around the house. Pop in a new USB thumb stick in Win10, do a quick format using FAT32. Immediately HERE Map Downloader recognize it. My download took less than 30 minutes.

I capture a few screen shots of the download. I had Xfinity 600 Mbps download. With multiple devices streaming at home i get excellent speed and still watch 4K movies and my kids playing online games.

Hopefully the car map update is less drama.
Attached Thumbnails Map Update is "live"-acura-map-updates_2019_12_16.png   Map Update is "live"-here-2.png   Map Update is "live"-killer_download.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by ToniRDX19:
Madd Dog (12-16-2019), markm929 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

I drive the Merritt everyday....usually triple digits for everyone in the left lane so it has not changed much. Well maybe not triple, but typically 80+ at 5:30 am. In the afternoon about 25 mph.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dweilbacher
I successfully downloaded the Map, but still need to install in RDX.
  • Purchased a 32G USB2.0 drive
  • Formatted it (using Win7) to FAT (FAT32)
  • Went to Acura Owners site and copied my VIN (I think this is the best way to get your VIN. No chance of type-0)
  • Paste VIN into download site
  • Downloaded the installer software and installed it on my Win10 PC
  • Click the download link (which then seems to start the installer software) and pointed it to the USB drive
Took about 2 hours to download. No one has posted a pic of the USB content. Here is what I see on the drive:
Completed the process.
  • Got in car and closed door.
  • Without touching the brake, pressed the start button. Then pressed it again. Turned off lights and Fans.
  • Inserted USB drive into console USB slot.
  • 20 seconds later, got message: Updating Map... 3:57pm.
  • Open car door and left car (coming back every 10 mins or so to check).
  • At 4:51pm, process completed with a message to restart car and OK prompt.
  • Restarted car. Done.
The only odd thing was that after restarting and then turning off the car, I tried to exit the RDX. The car started beeping (Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding). I tried a few more restarted, but same thing. So I started the RDX and went for a short drive. Then exited and the beeping was gone. No idea what it was.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
My download took about an hour on a synchronous gigabit FIOS connection. So, the user’s internet speed is not a controlling factor. I used an old 32G memory stick, freshly formatted to FAT in my Mac using the Disk Utility.

My update was without incident, running for about an hour with the car “on”, I.e. two presses of the start button without braking.

One small improvement on the instruction pdf posted early in this thread: There is no need to enter the current map version along with the VIN. You can leave that field empty, saving a trip to the car.
The following users liked this post:
Funz51 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Probably a good idea to just get hold of a 32 Gb thumb drive if you don't already have one. Just for this purpose, if this is how map update will be done for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:05 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
" foreseeable future."
A very loose and vague term for Acura.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
After reading the hundreds of submissions to this thread I've been hesitant to take the plunge and begin the map update process, especially since I haven't received a word from Acura that there's an update available. My question is to those that have successfully updated the map: has anyone noticed a difference from the original map? New roads, POI's, improvements to the map itself? Is it worth the effort?
Old 12-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Skeptic

No.

The only change for me is, after leaving the car in the "ON" state for an hour, Auto Idle Stop no linger works.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1
After reading the hundreds of submissions to this thread I've been hesitant to take the plunge and begin the map update process, especially since I haven't received a word from Acura that there's an update available. My question is to those that have successfully updated the map: has anyone noticed a difference from the original map? New roads, POI's, improvements to the map itself? Is it worth the effort?
Hard to tell what is what. The actual roads around me haven’t changed, and I have not vetured out to where they have changed. I am not sure where the POIs reside, whether they are embedded in the map or are accessed via Acuralink in the cloud.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 12-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
There are new roads in one area where I frequently drive which was previously outdated on the old map, drove that area Sunday and the roads are now current. But a neighboring subdivision has yet to show any roads, the streets were installed summer of '18. Haven't tried any of the POI stuff yet, but the voice finder found the library in my old home town, even though I used the 'old' name and the current name is different.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
No.

The only change for me is, after leaving the car in the "ON" state for an hour, Auto Idle Stop no linger works.
LOL. Low battery charge is one of the conditions that turns it off. Sadly, that will probably get cured with driving.

For me the only obvious benefit is not getting the "maps out of date" notices that started immediately after I updated the maps the last time.

I'm not yet sure if its knowledge of local businesses and services has improved, but that's usually the major benefit of updated "maps", aside from interchanges the DOT found it necessary to change.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Hard to tell what is what. The actual roads around me haven’t changed, and I have not vetured out to where they have changed. I am not sure where the POIs reside, whether they are embedded in the map or are accessed via Acuralink in the cloud.
If it's anything like older systems that use HERE maps, POI's are primarily in the map data. The ability to access data "from the cloud" is optional, and dependent on network availability.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I tried using a $30 USB 3.0 Sandisk, didn't work, used a $5 USB 2.0 Sandisk formatted to FAT32 and it worked perfectly!

Just turned on the car into accessory (press start twice), popped in the usb after the startup sequence, it opened the navigation app and said, "Navigiation Maps Updating..." and just waited about an hour or so.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by OliveBread
I tried using a $30 USB 3.0 Sandisk, didn't work, used a $5 USB 2.0 Sandisk formatted to FAT32 and it worked perfectly!

Just turned on the car into accessory (press start twice), popped in the usb after the startup sequence, it opened the navigation app and said, "Navigiation Maps Updating..." and just waited about an hour or so.
Good info, but "Accessory" is one start button push ( without brake ), two pushes is "On".

I thought the map update would work in Accessory, like other updates, but I was wrong. Not a clue why.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:56 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Just received a voice mail from Acura. The message said the old map version I have is the only version there is, and there is no update (which many of you have updated) as I stated in the case i opened. God, I hate this company with a passion. Stumbling, bumbling idiots.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the call from Acura just now and my VIN has been added, finally. There is hope, it will happen! They also tried to walk me through enabling HERE on your Maps settings. Apparently that has been the cause of not seeing the VIN's sometimes. Mine was already enabled so who knows. Good luck everyone. Downloading now!
Old 12-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
How do you enable HERE on your Maps settings? Is that under Settings in the car or the Acura website?
97ws6 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcpagano
How do you enable HERE on your Maps settings? Is that under Settings in the car or the Acura website?
Just open the map application. Then go to Menu in the top right corner, and scroll down to "connected features" and make sure it's enabled. Mine already was so this isn't a cure all for everyone. But she said some people had it disabled. Which it won't receive the update if it's disabled.
97ws6 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by skipatrol
Just open the map application. Then go to Menu in the top right corner, and scroll down to "connected features" and make sure it's enabled. Mine already was so this isn't a cure all for everyone. But she said some people had it disabled. Which it won't receive the update if it's disabled.
Thanks! I checked and mine was disabled. So let's see enabling it solves my problem. I'll give it a few days to connect to HERE.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! I checked and mine was disabled. So let's see enabling it solves my problem. I'll give it a few days to connect to HERE.
Nice! She said if it had been off you might need to drive it around a little bit to let it connect. Best of Luck. Thought I'd pass it along.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Skeptic

I'll have to check that. Maybe that's why my traffic reporting sucks so bad. Although, I did the update, so it's probably enabled and the system just plain sucks.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced

I can confirm that enabling HERE in maps settings fixed my problem. I only had the car on for about 30 seconds and I just checked and now my VIN# was found. Thanks for the tip.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcpagano:
97ws6 (12-19-2019), skipatrol (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:06 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

They also tried to walk me through enabling HERE on your Maps settings"​​​​​​

....OK...I'm still not getting it. Open the 'maps application'? I'm not sure what or where that is. On my Macbook Pro... The Acuranavi.navigation.com website has something called 'menu' in the top right corner area but when you click on it all it shows is every model of Acura made, which leads to entering your VIN and map version, which for me leads nowhere. The HERE website does not have any 'menu' in that area. I see a HERE map app for iphones and google phones, which has nothing to do with any of this. So, I'm gonna be that guy...what 'maps application', on what device..on what program? Sorryyyyyy---feelin kinda dense.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EFR

....OK...I'm still not getting it. Open the 'maps application'? I'm not sure what or where that is. On my Macbook Pro... The Acuranavi.navigation.com website has something called 'menu' in the top right corner area but when you click on it all it shows is every model of Acura made, which leads to entering your VIN and map version, which for me leads nowhere. The HERE website does not have any 'menu' in that area. I see a HERE map app for iphones and google phones, which has nothing to do with any of this. So, I'm gonna be that guy...what 'maps application', on what device..on what program? Sorryyyyyy---feelin kinda dense.
The maps application in your car. It's called Navigation I believe. Not on your computer.
EFR (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EFR

I think they mean the built-in navigation "maps" app in the car. The setting in the menus for that app enables "information sharing" with HERE, from the car.

[edit] Jinx
EFR (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:21 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Oh...got it.Well, it was 'enabled'...so, back to square one or whatever this state of perpetual is called. But thank you!
Old 12-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Advanced

I have a question on the downloading. Do you download the downloader app to the USB or to your computer. I downloaded the app to my computer and right now the map is downloading to my USB. Do I need the downloading app on the USB to install the maps in the car?
Old 12-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
I have a question on the downloading. Do you download the downloader app to the USB or to your computer. I downloaded the app to my computer and right now the map is downloading to my USB. Do I need the downloading app on the USB to install the maps in the car?
Both go on the USB.

Last edited by kboo74656; 12-18-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
Both go on the USB.
That is not what I did.

I downloaded and installed the download software on my Windows 10 PC. Then downloaded the Maps to the USB.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dweilbacher
That is not what I did.

I downloaded and installed the download software on my Windows 10 PC. Then downloaded the Maps to the USB.
Were you then able to download the files on the USB to the Navigation system in the car?
Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Were you then able to download the files on the USB to the Navigation system in the car?
Never mind, it's updating the maps in the car. Therefore you can install the downloader app either on your computer or the USB and it will work.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Never mind, it's updating the maps in the car. Therefore you can install the downloader app either on your computer or the USB and it will work.
That's interesting. I guess as long as the computer can access it during the download from the server to the USB drive, all is good.

When you ran the installer for the "downloader" app that you downloaded from the website, it should have prompted you for where you wanted to install the application.

But AFAIK the "downloader" app has nothing to do with loading the maps from the USB drive into the infotainment system. It just builds the map on the USB drive in whatever format the infotainment system expects.

Quick Reply: Map Update is "live"