Auto Idle Stop - length of time it stays on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Auto Idle Stop - length of time it stays on?

Hi Guys - I've tried searching for an answer in the forums and the owner's manual, but no luck. My question is, how long does the Auto Idle Stop keep the engine turned off when you're at a stop light? I sit at some lights for over a minute and it seems the engine automatically comes back off after a certain amount of time automatically (even when I kept my foot full depressed on the brake).

Anyone have any idea or experienced the same? Does anyone know what the time duration of auto idle off is before it turns the engine back on by itself?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:55 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever had it turn on automatically. It turns on if you 1) lift your foot from the brake (unless you have the Hold Brake function active) or if you 2) jiggle the steering wheel.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Seems to take about a minute.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I don’t think I’ve ever had it turn on automatically. It turns on if you 1) lift your foot from the brake (unless you have the Hold Brake function active) or if you 2) jiggle the steering wheel.
Hi Waetherman - would you mind testing it out in your driveway, or the next time you're alone at a stop sign to see how long your auto engine off keeps your engine off?
Old 01-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Seems to take about a minute.
Oh cool, so you've experienced something similar to me where the engine turns back on automatically even when you're brake is fully depressed and you're not moving the steering wheel?
Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by Nearsite00
Hi Waetherman - would you mind testing it out in your driveway, or the next time you're alone at a stop sign to see how long your auto engine off keeps your engine off?
I’ll test it tomorrow. I’ve been in stop-n-go traffic where it seemed to stay off longer, but maybe it just feels like longer....
Old 01-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

I’ll test it tomorrow. I’ve been in stop-n-go traffic where it seemed to stay off longer, but maybe it just feels like longer....
Yeah, I haven't like timed it, it seems to be about 1-2 minutes, then the engine will automatically start.
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nearsite00
Hi Guys - I've tried searching for an answer in the forums and the owner's manual, but no luck. My question is, how long does the Auto Idle Stop keep the engine turned off when you're at a stop light? I sit at some lights for over a minute and it seems the engine automatically comes back off after a certain amount of time automatically (even when I kept my foot full depressed on the brake).

Anyone have any idea or experienced the same? Does anyone know what the time duration of auto idle off is before it turns the engine back on by itself?
Yes, I routinely use brake hold, and even after a period of a minute or two (longer light cycle typically), the engine will start up again after turning off from auto-stop feature. I know engine operating temperature and climate control demands play a role in auto-stop activation, so maybe the engine coolant drops just below a certain threshold or A/C/heating demand requires the ICE to fire up again. It doesn't bother me, though. I actually wish there were a way to tell the auto-stop feature to reactivate if you have to scoot up in a long traffic line and not just sit there and leave a huge gap ahead of you as the line compresses. Sometimes I don't get over the 3 mph threshold and the engine continues running for the rest of the light cycle even though it should turn off again.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
There's no fixed length of time. It depends on several factors such as temperature, load on the battery, battery condition and charge level. It won't shut down the engine at all if the car is stone cold. It also won't stay off very long if the AC, heated seats, rear defroster or other accessories are on. It senses when the battery draws down and restarts to start charging again.

Mine hasn't worked at all since I installed the map update and left the car in accessory mode for about an hour. I don't know if the battery condition was compromised but I've been meaning to bring it in to have it checked out.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
There's no fixed length of time. It depends on several factors such as temperature, load on the battery, battery condition and charge level. It won't shut down the engine at all if the car is stone cold. It also won't stay off very long if the AC, heated seats, rear defroster or other accessories are on. It senses when the battery draws down and restarts to start charging again.

Mine hasn't worked at all since I installed the map update and left the car in accessory mode for about an hour. I don't know if the battery condition was compromised but I've been meaning to bring it in to have it checked out.
Don’t bother. Eventually the battery will get to a state of full charge and it will resume. I had not driven the car for a couple of months due to a health issue, and A.S.S. Stopped working for me. It took longer than I expected for the car to get fully charged, but eventually it did, and auto stop start began working again.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:38 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Don’t bother. Eventually the battery will get to a state of full charge and it will resume. I had not driven the car for a couple of months due to a health issue, and A.S.S. Stopped working for me. It took longer than I expected for the car to get fully charged, but eventually it did, and auto stop start began working again.
Were you getting a message on the MID "Auto Engine Stop Unavalable".every time you came to a stop? Or was it just not working?

It's been well over a month. I still have to bring it in for the D.1.2.1 system update, so I'll mention it then.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 01-12-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:11 AM
Drifting

Were you getting a message on the MID "Auto Engine Stop Unavalable".every time you came to a stop? Or was it just not working?

It's been well over a month. I still have to bring it in for the D.1.2.1 system update, so I'll mention it then.
I got the message each time.
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Ive had the start/stop not working on several occasions (probably battery charge related) but I’ve never seen that message.

What is the D1.2.1 update and how do I know if I need it?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 AM
Drifting

The message flashes on, but does not stay on.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember seeing a theory on this forum that one of the cyclinder will be ready to go when the engine is stopped by A.S.S. If the cyclinder is at the end of compression stroke waiting for ignition, it can't hold the pressure indefinitely because the piston is not a perfect seal. If this is the case then it would explains why the engine always restarts after a minute for reasons not specified in the manual.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Mine turns back on randomly all the time (when I don't have it off). Sometimes 5 seconds, other times not at all. Sometimes it doesn't even go into idle. I hate this feature and turn it off 99% of the time. One of these days, I will (hopefully) reverse engineer and disable it.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:58 PM
Skeptic

... What is the D1.2.1 update and how do I know if I need it?
It's the current infotainment software that includes Android Auto. I'm still 2 updates behind. If you have Android Auto, you have it. If you don't, you don't.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-2-1-a-983666/