One year of ownership - 2020 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
One year of ownership - 2020 MDX

I bought my 2020 MDX A-SPEC last year in July. I went to buy a 2022 MDX A-SPEC and I was about to sign the papers. I noticed a white 2020 on the dealer floor. I asked about the car and it turned out to be a Nov'22 production with 6KM (yes 6KM, brand new) that wasn't sold since in Feb the new MDX was released. Everyone wanted the new one The car was discounted $9K (CAD). I made my decision on the spot, and cancelled the 2022 and opted for the 2020. I couldn't refuse the $9K plus Quebec taxes. I loved the 2022 model and honestly it has some great features that my 2020 doesn't have. But since, I was not leasing or financing the car. I felt saving $11-$12K cash is a wise decision and no regrets!

My quick take after one year and hope this helps those who are in the market to get a CPO.

It's not a fluke or coincidence that the MDX is the best 3 row luxury or premium (whatever you want to call it) in North America. It's an excellent family car that's fun to drive.

Pros:
- Spacious while using it for 5 or 7 passengers. If you leave the 3rd row free, you get a massive trunk space.
- Reliable. Zero issue in 13 months.
- Drives & handles excellent for a 7 seater
- Great acceleration, not slow by any means with that weight and size.
- Excellent safety features that work flawless
- Decent gas consumption
- Great fit and finish.
- Love the two screens but see my comment in Cons.
- Canadian models comes with: auto-folding & auto-dimming side mirrors, heated steering wheel & remote start. +++++

Cons:
- The two screens are great, it allows you to maneuver the GPS and other controls separately, but the top screen is horrible. It's outdated. The map is old and just gives a feel of early 2000s. Acura should have updated it for MMC.
- No pano, and it's a bit dark when you sit in the back.
- No sensor trunk release
- A-SPEC doesn't have 360 and adaptive dampers.

Hope this quick review helps if you are in the market to buy a CPO. I know some people complain about the transmission, but I think as of 2019, Acura fixed that issue. Happy to help if you have any questions.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
ESHBG (09-06-2022), moose66 (08-31-2022), mrgold35 (09-03-2022), technocrat (01-17-2023)
Old 09-01-2022, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Good write up. From someone who has owned now 5 MDX'es (if you count our ZDX as well) and just spent about a year in a 2021 RDX A-Spec, I can provide some follow-up and perhaps shed some light on your Cons.

- The two screens are great, it allows you to maneuver the GPS and other controls separately, but the top screen is horrible. It's outdated. The map is old and just gives a feel of early 2000s. Acura should have updated it for MMC.
Follow-up: I completely agree with the top screen being behind in resolution and perhaps behind in layout structure. But the dual screen is the reason we're driving a CPO 2019 and not a new 2022 MDX (and part of the reason we got rid of the 21 RDX - space was the main reason). I seriously think you dodged a bullet on the 2022 MDX interface. The RDX is very similar and both my wife and I loathed it. Almost every technical interface today is touch screen. iPads, phones, movie theaters, and even McDonalds now has huge touch screens when you walk through the doors. Teslas basically have vertical iPads as their sole interface. Yet Acura thought it was a good idea to remove the touch screen and add a sensitive and confusing touch pad - which is basically a pad that uses your finger as a mouse. IMO a huge step back in usability.

Follow-up: I definitely miss the panoramic sunroof in the RDX. One note though is that it was better closed because when you open the sunroof, the front slides on top of the rear and basically covers the clear upward view. I do miss the panoramic, open air feel.

Follow-up: several friends of ours have this in their SUVs and I have yet to see a clean sweep and open execution of this. I laugh at them because while they're doing lower leg kicks, I just push the button, which I can do closely or from a distance, and my trunk opens. I get that it can be a useful feature if executed properly, but I haven't seen too many properly executed leg sweeps with this. And this goes for all manufacturers, not just Acura.

Follow-up: my wife was smitten with having an Apex Blue A-Spec RDX. She loved the color. So we looked at a 2019 Apex Blue A-Spec MDX. We quickly realized that while the A-Spec is a sporty spec, it really doesn't have the luxury nor the features that we wanted in an MDX. That's why we opted for a 2019 Advance MDX because of the Milano leather, 360 cameras (we use these a ton with having younger children), cooled seats, rear captains chairs, etc. etc. etc. I will never buy a non-Advance again.

Just my 2 cents. And bottom line: you made the right choice
The following 4 users liked this post by Type34:
andysinnh (09-02-2022), ESHBG (09-06-2022), moose66 (09-02-2022), mrgold35 (09-03-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I bought my 2020 MDX A-SPEC last year in July. I went to buy a 2022 MDX A-SPEC and I was about to sign the papers. I noticed a white 2020 on the dealer floor. I asked about the car and it turned out to be a Nov'22 production with 6KM (yes 6KM, brand new) that wasn't sold since in Feb the new MDX was released. Everyone wanted the new one The car was discounted $9K (CAD). I made my decision on the spot, and cancelled the 2022 and opted for the 2020. I couldn't refuse the $9K plus Quebec taxes. I loved the 2022 model and honestly it has some great features that my 2020 doesn't have. But since, I was not leasing or financing the car. I felt saving $11-$12K cash is a wise decision and no regrets!

My quick take after one year and hope this helps those who are in the market to get a CPO.

It's not a fluke or coincidence that the MDX is the best 3 row luxury or premium (whatever you want to call it) in North America. It's an excellent family car that's fun to drive.

Pros:
- Spacious while using it for 5 or 7 passengers. If you leave the 3rd row free, you get a massive trunk space.
- Reliable. Zero issue in 13 months.
- Drives & handles excellent for a 7 seater
- Great acceleration, not slow by any means with that weight and size.
- Excellent safety features that work flawless
- Decent gas consumption
- Great fit and finish.
- Love the two screens but see my comment in Cons.
- Canadian models comes with: auto-folding & auto-dimming side mirrors, heated steering wheel & remote start. +++++

Cons:

Hope this quick review helps if you are in the market to buy a CPO. I know some people complain about the transmission, but I think as of 2019, Acura fixed that issue. Happy to help if you have any questions.

I have 2019 Aspec, and I am a big fan. I was leasing it for 3 year and bought it out. Aside from the fact that there were no 2022's to buy, the car lease buy-out was less than it's value and it was a no brainer to buy out a perfectly reliable vehicle. I know many don't like the 2 screens. I do. The only thing I really don't like is I still cannot get used to the push button transmission. I miss the shifter even 3 years later.

This vehicle is flawless, save for a couple stupid items, such as one of the black chrome pieces had the paint peeling off and one of the aspec badges on the drivers fender lost the top half, and the car had all it's light light up on the dash and a fuel pump had to be replaced, All replaced under warranty.

Love the car and it looks real good. When I was buying it, the advance had a few more options, but the look of the Aspec sold me.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLEXV6:
mrgold35 (09-03-2022), Tony Pac (09-05-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:31 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Nice write-up!

I love the updated interior of the +22 MDX (except for the piano black trim). The exterior of the +22 really isn't as dramatic of a change compared to the 3rd Gen 17-20 MDXs. As weird as it sounds, I'm so used to the low res navi screen compared to the multi color and sometimes too much information on iphone type maps like Waze. I'm sometimes with Carplay I'm like what color am I supposed to follow, why is the map orientated in the wrong direction, I can't get it to zoom out, I can't get it to zoom in, why am I in the middle of the field next to the hwy, etc... Acura navi is so low tech dumb and stupid looking; but, it works 100% for me (IF you can input the address).
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 11:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Type34
Good write up. From someone who has owned now 5 MDX'es (if you count our ZDX as well) and just spent about a year in a 2021 RDX A-Spec, I can provide some follow-up and perhaps shed some light on your Cons.

Follow-up: I completely agree with the top screen being behind in resolution and perhaps behind in layout structure. But the dual screen is the reason we're driving a CPO 2019 and not a new 2022 MDX (and part of the reason we got rid of the 21 RDX - space was the main reason). I seriously think you dodged a bullet on the 2022 MDX interface. The RDX is very similar and both my wife and I loathed it. Almost every technical interface today is touch screen. iPads, phones, movie theaters, and even McDonalds now has huge touch screens when you walk through the doors. Teslas basically have vertical iPads as their sole interface. Yet Acura thought it was a good idea to remove the touch screen and add a sensitive and confusing touch pad - which is basically a pad that uses your finger as a mouse. IMO a huge step back in usability.

Follow-up: I definitely miss the panoramic sunroof in the RDX. One note though is that it was better closed because when you open the sunroof, the front slides on top of the rear and basically covers the clear upward view. I do miss the panoramic, open air feel.

Follow-up: several friends of ours have this in their SUVs and I have yet to see a clean sweep and open execution of this. I laugh at them because while they're doing lower leg kicks, I just push the button, which I can do closely or from a distance, and my trunk opens. I get that it can be a useful feature if executed properly, but I haven't seen too many properly executed leg sweeps with this. And this goes for all manufacturers, not just Acura.

Follow-up: my wife was smitten with having an Apex Blue A-Spec RDX. She loved the color. So we looked at a 2019 Apex Blue A-Spec MDX. We quickly realized that while the A-Spec is a sporty spec, it really doesn't have the luxury nor the features that we wanted in an MDX. That's why we opted for a 2019 Advance MDX because of the Milano leather, 360 cameras (we use these a ton with having younger children), cooled seats, rear captains chairs, etc. etc. etc. I will never buy a non-Advance again.

Just my 2 cents. And bottom line: you made the right choice
Thank you for the great summary to provide more clarity to buyers in the market. I am 100% with you and sensor trunk part is so true. My buddy, who drives a RX and he was trying to use his yesterday and did not work. It's always 50/50. Overall, the last generation MDX is a solid CPO purchase among the competitors. Test drive and see it for yourself. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Nice write-up!

I love the updated interior of the +22 MDX (except for the piano black trim). The exterior of the +22 really isn't as dramatic of a change compared to the 3rd Gen 17-20 MDXs. As weird as it sounds, I'm so used to the low res navi screen compared to the multi color and sometimes too much information on iphone type maps like Waze. I'm sometimes with Carplay I'm like what color am I supposed to follow, why is the map orientated in the wrong direction, I can't get it to zoom out, I can't get it to zoom in, why am I in the middle of the field next to the hwy, etc... Acura navi is so low tech dumb and stupid looking; but, it works 100% for me (IF you can input the address).
Thank you.

Yes, the updated interior of 22+ is great. As you mentioned, I am used to the low resolution as well. At this point, I am happy with the car and honestly, I care less for better screen. MDX is a package that doesn't disappoint its buyers for 20 years. Over 1Million+ units are sold.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have 2019 Aspec, and I am a big fan. I was leasing it for 3 year and bought it out. Aside from the fact that there were no 2022's to buy, the car lease buy-out was less than it's value and it was a no brainer to buy out a perfectly reliable vehicle. I know many don't like the 2 screens. I do. The only thing I really don't like is I still cannot get used to the push button transmission. I miss the shifter even 3 years later.

This vehicle is flawless, save for a couple stupid items, such as one of the black chrome pieces had the paint peeling off and one of the aspec badges on the drivers fender lost the top half, and the car had all it's light light up on the dash and a fuel pump had to be replaced, All replaced under warranty.

Love the car and it looks real good. When I was buying it, the advance had a few more options, but the look of the Aspec sold me.
A-SPEC look is so good. I know the Advance has more options, but ASPEC's look compensate for the missing features. I am glad you like your car as well. I just did a 2,000 KM trip with a family friend. We were 7 people in the car. Our friends were extremely impressed by the ride, features and size of the vehicle. T
Old 09-09-2022, 05:51 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
i have a 2020 Advance that I am leasing (third MDX for us). Flawless so far-there is an advantage to getting the last year or so of a model-all of the beta testing has revealed the short comings that were revealed in the initial year or so. Any yes the 9 speed transmission has also been tweaked so that it is basically flawless. I likely will extend the lease for an additional year (could never match the payment on a 2023 model) while I decide on weather to get a 2024 model. A lot depends on the availability of cars then.....
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 08:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
i have a 2020 Advance that I am leasing (third MDX for us). Flawless so far-there is an advantage to getting the last year or so of a model-all of the beta testing has revealed the short comings that were revealed in the initial year or so. Any yes the 9 speed transmission has also been tweaked so that it is basically flawless. I likely will extend the lease for an additional year (could never match the payment on a 2023 model) while I decide on weather to get a 2024 model. A lot depends on the availability of cars then.....

Well said and 100% agreed!

I am happy that many owners share the same feedback.