2022 MDX vs 2021 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 MDX vs 2021 RX350

Currently have a 2015 highlander that's getting long in the tooth. Was considering a rx350, but recently saw a new MDX. The MDX is nice looking, but not crazy about the bodyline in the back that causes the car to have a darker looking shadow on one half at a certain angle. Has anyone opted for an MDX over the RX? I don't necessarily need a 3 row SUV but would like something bigger than a rav4.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I am currently in the hunt to buy a 3 row SUV. It feels like you might consider the regular rx350 rather than the rx350L which I think might be a harder choice.

My main criteria are:
1) 3rd row will barely be used, but it can't be miserable. Granted, My family is all asian so we aren't exactly tall.
2) Want to buy new and hold long term. IMHO, That basically means Japanese
3) I've been saving up for a while (my current car is a 2009 G37x), so I can push the 'bang/buck' curve. My typical style is to buy on the higher end of things so I can afford to hold it longer. I'm still pretty content with my g37x, although space is quickly becoming an issue.

With those combined, there really aren't THAT many choices.
Basically we are looking at the mdx, the r350l, and the gv80. I don't know why, but I don't find myself interested in the CX-9.
GV80 is out for now, because my wife and I are insisting on having a spare tire. The 3 row doesn't have one. To be honest, if I can get a gv80 prestige 3 row with a spare tire, It'd probably be my top pic. (only thing holding me back is i'm not 100% sold on the quality, esp. 1st year model).

Here's how I see things, RX350L vs MDX advance
RX350L pros:
Has a hybrid option - better gas mileage, smoother (?), auto on/off is less obnoxious
a bit cheaper. (Not that interesting since I'm holding for so long.)
quieter (maybe?)
smoother/less sporty
(probably) overall more comfortable ride (how much though?)

MDX pros, in roughly the order that I prioritize:
Bigger back row. (Rx350l's back row is kind of a joke).
More cargo capacity
Looks more modern: digital dashboard, ambient lighting
HUD can display driving directions and caller information/text messages
Higher res backup/360 cameras
significantly better lane centering/ACC (from what I can tell, the rx350's isn't very good)
Has a pano moonroof
Can stick in a full size spare where the 'donut is' if you want that safety.
Bigger, higher res infotainment screen.
I do like the flexibility of the MDX's middle row with the semi-customizable middle section.
sportier/stiffer - I don't really need a 'sporty' car, but I do like the idea of less 'body lean' when turning.
The gimmick with the trunk floor behind the 3rd row being reversable/lowered is handy.
wireless android auto/apple carplay
Faster/sportier

I guess that's it? Needless to say, the MDX stomps a mudhole in the 2021 RX350L.
A MUCH more interesting comparison would be the 2022 MDX against the RX350 refresh.
The leaked NX refresh video gives a hint at things to come. But the problem is, the rx350L refresh (or the TX or whatever it's called)
is at least 2 years away, if not possibly more. I doubt I will wait that long, unless Lexus announces some OMG I MUST WAIT FOR THAT
feature in the NX refresh.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:50 PM
10th Gear

Yes I would consider the regular RX not the RXL. I would even consider a base RX vs a MDX tech---strictly from a styling standpoint. This preference causes a decent price difference. I agree the larger cargo size in the MDX is a positive. I find myself having more usability with the Highlander cargo than the rav4 we have too. Holding the vehicle long term, I would be more concerned about reliability of the Acura rather than the RX. I agree about waiting for an RX refresh. However, my experience waiting for any Toyota product is that it requires a lot of patience as they take forever, but I don't want to wait forever either.

Last edited by tagmanx; 02-27-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Other than the price, i wouldn't have considered Lexus RX and i am saying that in a non offensive way, i have 19 Corolla and had owned several Toyotas and i can tell where they share same steering wheel buttons, to same graphics on the infotainment, as well as the lifeless back a/c vents in the back. Lexus doesn't even try to hide that they share parts bin with Toyota. Reliability is their forte but i wish they add a little flair in their cabins and i am not the only one harping about it. When my sister in law bought RDX in 2020 , i was like eh just like a CR-V but boy i was wrong, that thing is lot different and doesn't have anything common at-least to the eye. Fast Forward to this past week, i bought 2022 MDX Aspec my first ACURA or Honda product and i can tell you how much happier i am by not buying another Toyota. Although that Highlander Platinum looks enticing.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:24 PM
10th Gear

I wondered if getting a Lexus was more of the same. I have a 2015 highlander limited now. It's not a bad vehicle, but boring. I test drove a new highlander platinum. For the price I wasn't all that impressed, which is what started me looking into the Acura and Lexus. I've only owned 1 Toyota and before that it was 4 Hondas and a TL type S. The TL had some quirks which is why I questioned acura's reliability.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Considered the RX, besides being at the end of this model lifespan, it will only tow up to 3,500 lbs and the MDX will tow up to 5,000 lbs. while I would never max it out to 5,000 lbs, I like having the extra ability. Planning to tow a 2,200 lb tent trailer and when loaded with gear, fuel, water and passengers could easily approach 3,000 lbs or more and this is just to close to maxing out an RX. MDX for us.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
When we get our 2022 MDX (around June), it's essentially going to be our 5th MDX (counting our ZDX). Each time I throw the Lexus RX in the mix for my wife to think about, but each time the MDX wins.

For us, the deciding factors boil down to comparative price (feature for feature), cost of ownership, and overall design.

If dealership experience is high on your list, the Lexus experience definitely outweighs Acura. I do most of the maintenance myself, so honestly, I rarely see my dealers. The purchase experience has always been a pleasure.