2021 Palisade Calligraphy vs 2022 MDX A-spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Palisade Calligraphy vs 2022 MDX A-spec

Got a call from Acura dealership that they have the A-spec that was just traded in with 5K miles. They are selling it for about $55K. Hyundai dealer has 2021 Calligraphy with 2K miles for about $52K. I haven't seen the A-spec in person but I really liked the Tech that I test drove. I'd personally would like to spring for the Advance but it went from $62K to $71K after a $3.9K dealer package and taxes. Sales rep told me the package is standard...

The Palisade on the other hand not only had a lot more tech and options than the Advance, but you get all that for a whole lot less. Cons were cup holders are tiny and don't fit my 40 oz water bottle, not a whole lot of door storage space compared to the 2013 Pilot that is my DD (need to check this on MDX), interior feels smaller than the Pilot and the MDX, and I'd lose out on cargo space too.

Did anyone cross shop the MDX and Palisade and why did you pick the MDX? I inquired at the Palisade forum too to see what similarities are and what the dealbreakers were that made you pick one over the other.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
You may want to check out more MDX threads as there appears to be the typical issues of a first year of a new generation car (I'm experiencing the same on my TLX). The Palisade is on its 2nd year. Neither are what I would call great deals since they are both used and selling above MSRP (pick your poison).
It's a great time to be a car salesman right now...

For a hot car like the '22 MDX to already be back in dealer's hands is not a positive sign.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I started a thread a while back when I was car shopping:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...luride-993755/

The palisade had a couple of things that the MDX does not but i certainly don't recall it having a "lot more tech".
We went with the MDX because we wanted a bench seat in the second row.
It allows us to have 5 people comfortably with the 3rd row down.

I always leaned towards the MDX because of its suspension.
Although it's a fair bit larger than my previous car, it really doesn't feel like it. It doesn't even feel like an SUV to be honest.

Also, I had purchased an acura before and I had a good experience overall with the local dealer.
I test drove the MDX, and honestly didn't see the point of testing any other SUVS.
The MDX checked all of the important things that we wanted, and had almost everything that I wanted in other cars (in terms of practicality/safety/comfort).
I got a good offer (good is relative in these chip challenged times) and bought the car. The sale didn't take long at all, to be honest.

Side note: You're getting ripped off on that dealer package for the MDX. I don't recall any other person mentioning it. Go to another dealer.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
Side note: You're getting ripped off on that dealer package for the MDX. I don't recall any other person mentioning it. Go to another dealer.
That "package" sounds like the ADM being added on the Type S models of late. Pure profit for the dealer!
Old 08-20-2021, 06:23 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
I you go with a new 2022 MDX Advance it's $62K - a total, complete , great SUV. I test drove a Telluride (the dealer only had a FWD version in stock). It was a nice SUV (styling is subjective), but a sister ship to Palisade. Definitely more Floaty in ride. I didn't like the silver metal finish on the controls below the screen - yes it is a Touch Screen which is Acura's Faux Paux. But I wouldn't pick any car based on Cup holders. Consider one of the best AWD systems in the business, terrific handling, very comfortable seating, Power everything including the steering wheel with Auto Exit and Entry systems, Remote start that controls your climate systems / rear defroster / heated Steering wheel, power folding mirrors, Cabin Talk, fantastic Interior Light Show, and much more. And I really like the HUD on the Advance model - the stereo Can't be Beat . It is the best in the business .
Old 08-20-2021, 06:49 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Oh ,I lease BTW.... Taxes and fees up front ($3100) + putting up $1400 Cap cost for a $600 / mo payment. - $4500 OTD. 3 Years with 10 K miles per year. If you drive more than the 10k Miles , you can adjust to 15K or 18K for extra monthly charges. We own the Wifey's car - 2016 Honda CRV , paid off the 3 year auto loan form Honda 2 years ago. Runs a like a charm, but not a car for me. Note : Acura is offering 1.9% , 5 year financing on the MDX now. But I calculated that with a $10 K down payment , MSRP (there are no discounts), of $62K Plus Taxes ($5200) less appx $3K of "equity" in my current leased MDX (according to the Dealer), I would have $975 payment for 60 months. It's the age old discussion: To Lease or Not too Lease... It is a totally subjective issue. I'm a 69 yo , retired with some spinal / neurological issues that now drives maybe 3-5K miles per year for local jaunts and Grandchildren visits. So after 5 years with reasonable mileage on the clock (say 30-35K ) what's the car worth - $30 K , maybe. Maybe a lot less as we gravitate to Hybrids (EVs and non Plug in Hybrids). In my example, I will have $5500 more in the Bank or Stocks, $375 X 36 = $13,500 (the diference in the lease and loan payments) left in the Bank , and turn in the leased car in 36 months , hopefully with some equity again. The salesman at the dealership in Westchester county - nearby me, told me thateasy 85-90 % of new cars are leased. That's been for some time now. Of course, all of this mute if you plan on keeping the same car for ,more than 5 years and/or your drive 20K miles or more each year.