Leaving the Acura Family

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Leaving the Acura Family

My wife purchased her 2012 MDX Tech new. We both really like the ride, quality, comfort, etc but we are now downsizing to just one vehicle. I am retired and she is working from home for the next year before she also retires.

I have sent out information to several dealers and companies that buy vehicles and it looks like I will sell it to one of them next week.

This was the first non-American brand car we have owned in over 40 years of marriage. It was a bit different than what we were used to in some aspects, but not an unfavorable ownership experience.

It was a difficult decision as to which car to keep, but in the long run the MDX was lacking a few items which we like better on the other car.

I'll be checking the forum often just to keep up with what is happening and to see if there is anything I can contribute. I wish everyone here well.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Best of luck to you both and congrats on retirement!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Qwikhas
Best of luck to you both and congrats on retirement!
x2
Old 01-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
OP thanks for the nice comments on the MDX and enjoy retirement. Just curious what was the other car you chose to keep over the MDX.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Well, the other car is a 2013 Ford Edge Limited. A lot of thought went into which one to keep. Both had right at 24000 miles, a premium sound system, etc. When we purchased the MDX, we were also looking at the Lexus RX350. That decision almost came to a coin toss, but the MDX fit our wants better at the time. The following items are what swayed us to keep the Edge. It is NOT a put down of the MDX in any way. This decision almost could have been a coin toss also.

The Edge Limited has many features that are lacking in the MDX. It has Intelligent Access (touch the door handle and it unlocks with key in pocket), Push Button start, factory remote start, Rain Sensor wipers, factory back-up interior beepers, rearview camera which stays on until moving forward at about 5mph (great for positioning in a parking spot or garage if you have to move forward and backwards several times), a much easier to use navigation system which I can send an address to from a smartphone or computer and it will bring up the map with directions, voice recognition which actually works well, Sync system which I have had no problems with and which comes with 3 years of weather, traffic, turn by turn directions, business search, etc ($60.00 a year after the first free 3 years), BLISS blind spot rearview mirrors alert, better MPG on regular fuel, a better rearview camera view especially in the dark, and it has a Ford extended warranty of $0 deductible and 100000 miles or 84 months.

We like the MDX for road trips better (this one has taken us to Las Vegas, New Orleans, Northeast Ohio several times, Tunica,MS, and the Gulf Coast several times. The Ford is comfortable enough but not quite the same class as the MDX. We will miss the ride and comfort of the MDX, but the Ford isn't too far behind it.

Both also have HID lighting and a maintenance minder as such. I know we could have had a few of the missing features in the MDX if we had spent another $4000.00 or so for the Advance model, but really didn't see the value in it at all for the price. I also know the 2014 MDX has added a few of the items I like in the Edge, but we weren't in the market for another car.

Just as an update also, just got back from selling the MDX to CarMax. Very happy with the no hassle transaction, and pleased with the value they gave. Paperwork and check to Honda Finance to pay off the lien, and a check to us for equity remaining all done in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for all the good wishes, and I will be around.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Your point about lack of Intelligent Access ( Ford term for keyless entry I guess via touch sensitive door handles ) is 100% spot on. We feel that is a big shortcoming of the 2010-13 MDX.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck with the Ford

We loved our 2009 Ford Edge. When it was running properly, it was great. We just couldn't keep it on the road. Fuel Pump (35000 miles) , starter (71000 miles), entire brake system (60000 miles - electronic issue that required repair/replacement of master cylinder, all pads, rotors, calipers, electronics). If you got a reliable Edge, great choice, it is a cool vehicle that drives well with a lot of good features at a nice price point. Luckily, we invested in Ford's extended warranty and weren't out of pocket too much. Consider the warranty - it can be purchased online at a reasonable price. Most of the people waiting at the rental car line with me for repairs were also Edge owners. I also have friends that have 100,000 miles on their Edge with no problems at all. Hope you have better luck with your Edge than we did - enjoy it!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Regardless of the brand vehicle we buy new, we have always purchased a factory backed extended warranty. Already got one on the Edge ($0 deductible, 100000 miles, 84 months, first day upgraded rental). We were going to get one on the MDX also, but from my research it was better to hold off for a while.

The only extended warranty I actually lost money on in the last 15 years or so was on our last Ford! Drove it to 170000 miles (2003 F150) and it only need a new blower motor and wiper motor, all covered under warranty. Everything else was maintenance.