Engine Response Time (Lag)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Response Time (Lag)?

This is my first exposure to Honda/Acura cars (have been with Toyota). I tried both Honda Crosstour and Acura TSX Sportwagon lately and both gave me the same "problem".

I'm only driving on the "D" mode, and most of the discussion about similar problem seems to be for "S" mode, so I would like to verify if the issue I encountered is the same one.

Almost every time I stopped for a period of time (like at traffic light or stop sign), the engine seems to "stall" just after I drive again (I'm not flooring the gas or anything like that). So the car will start and then slows down before it speeds up to the original speed I had intended. That slow down period is scary because it likes someone had put a brake or the engine stalls, and my body (sometimes) literally moved forward.

The issue is worsen if I make a U-turn or a steep left turn, even worse when there's a slight uphill on the road (while making that turn). I do not see the problem (so far) entering the highway from the ramp (I have not tried to floor it though).

What is going on? And if this the quirkiness of Honda/Acura engine, is there any way on my part (aka the way I drive) to lessen the issue. I really do not like the feeling that I'm about to stop every time I enter traffic-heavy road from my subdivision.

Thanks,

PS: my current car is 2008 Avalon V6, occasionally driving 2000 Camry V6
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
i don't experience anything like that at all unless what you're talking about is the transmission shifting from first gear to second.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by its rayden
i don't experience anything like that at all unless what you're talking about is the transmission shifting from first gear to second.

Logically, it has to be automatic transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (I was at D mode). The question is why the (VTEC) Engine can not do it smoothly? It's really uncomfortable to jerk like that (not to mention heart sinking moment).
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by its rayden
I haven't encountered a problem like the OP, or I haven't noticed it in the first place. It could be that you're coming from a Toyota Avalon V6, and that engine is comparably different to the I4 engine in the TSX. I4 engines aren't as smooth as V6's right?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
yeah to be honest ive not heard much of anything about this OR have any idea what you are talking about.

if its occuring in all the hondas you sat in, then you probably just dont like hondas. I have an es350/camry in the family and its a farcry from the TSX as far as the engine goes... two completely different personalities
Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jojo Circus
Logically, it has to be automatic transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (I was at D mode). The question is why the (VTEC) Engine can not do it smoothly? It's really uncomfortable to jerk like that (not to mention heart sinking moment).
the engine has nothing to do with the shifting characteristics of the transmission (sorta kinda). if the jerk is as bad as you describe it, you could have a problem and should bring it to the dealer to check out.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
8th Gear

No issue here

Never had this problem take it to dealer if you have any kind of warranty , if not take it to a private echanoc you trust.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
This is not normal. When I drive in "D", the car is smooth when starting from a stop.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Racer

oh, and not for nothing, the only time i experience an acceleration hiccup is when i'm braking semi-hard, then i get on the accelerator immediately. it feels like at that point, the car isn't sure which gear to go into for a second and then the car will lurch forward when it finally decides.