Lightweight flywheel help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightweight flywheel help.

Ok so this is my first post on here. Any help is appreciated. I'm looking to replace my clutch soon and really want to go with a lightweight flywheel. I feel like I have scoured the internet for answers to no avail. I have a 2009 TSX and I came across a post from 2011 warning people that a lightweight flywheel caused misfires and limp mode. I've looked at exedy kits online that come with a lightweight flywheel but they mention that hondata must be used to function properly but they have no idea what exactly that means as far as time modifications. If anybody else is running a lightweight flywheel and a stage 1 or 2 clutch I'd love to know your setup.

Currents mods: skunk2 downpipe, custom exhaust with vibrant performance resonater and magnaflow mufflers. Underdrive crank and alternater pulleys, Cold air intake, Ktuner Ecu re flash and a throttle body spacer for shits and giggles lol.

This is my car.
Attached Thumbnails Lightweight flywheel help.-img_1115.jpg  
Old 11-21-2016, 07:01 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Please reference my thread in my signature, maybe start on page 25 or so...
Old 11-21-2016, 07:10 PM
5th Gear

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I've actually read your entire build thread. I've been following it for the past couple years. If I'm not mistaken you ran a 2012 civic Si stage 2 clutch with an 8th gen Civic flywheel correct? Was this a lightened flywheel? If so how many lbs did it weight and did you have to do anything not mentioned in your thread for it to work properly?
Old 11-21-2016, 07:41 PM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by giovsif
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I've actually read your entire build thread. I've been following it for the past couple years. If I'm not mistaken you ran a 2012 civic Si stage 2 clutch with an 8th gen Civic flywheel correct? Was this a lightened flywheel? If so how many lbs did it weight and did you have to do anything not mentioned in your thread for it to work properly?
Actually, I still have the sticky note where I wrote it down 2 years ago... our TSX flywheel is 20lbs, and the civic Si was 17.1lbs.

I went this route because optimusturbo did this on his car, and had no problems, no lights etc.. I had issues though. I drove for like 500miles and it threw me in limp mode on the highway, CEL came on flashing, no power, nothing. Had to pull over. Turned the car off and back on, and no trouble. From there I decided to keep my flashpro in my car. It wasn't for another 500 miles that the same thing happened. This time I turned the flashpro on and datalogged while I had the code. If you waited, the CEL would go away without restarting the car, but it would only allow you to move like 20 feet and same problem again. Not until you turned off, and back on would it go away. Looked at the datalog and the CEL was "misfire". I confirmed with VIT and TSXRonald and it seems as though there is a sensor (possibly crank shaft positioning sensor??) that can tell if the right weight is not used, and will throw the code..... but everyone's understanding is that misfire is not actually happening, it's just a false-positive due to weight being off (less than 3lbs). TSXRonald mentioned this first with his super light weight flywheel, but with Optimus running Si flywheel no problem I thought I would be safe.. apparently not, it's right on the edge (I imagine) causing the CEL to come on in special circumstances.Kinda sucks for me cause if I ever go back to stock, Im gunna have to sell the car with the flashpro for it to be drive-able.

Long story short, in FP manager there is a check box to turn off misfire detection. This solves the problem. Not sure what Ktuner looks like, but I imagine you have the same option to turn this off.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:51 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Actually, I still have the sticky note where I wrote it down 2 years ago... our TSX flywheel is 20lbs, and the civic Si was 17.1lbs.

I went this route because optimusturbo did this on his car, and had no problems, no lights etc.. I had issues though. I drove for like 500miles and it threw me in limp mode on the highway, CEL came on flashing, no power, nothing. Had to pull over. Turned the car off and back on, and no trouble. From there I decided to keep my flashpro in my car. It wasn't for another 500 miles that the same thing happened. This time I turned the flashpro on and datalogged while I had the code. If you waited, the CEL would go away without restarting the car, but it would only allow you to move like 20 feet and same problem again. Not until you turned off, and back on would it go away. Looked at the datalog and the CEL was "misfire". I confirmed with VIT and TSXRonald and it seems as though there is a sensor (possibly crank shaft positioning sensor??) that can tell if the right weight is not used, and will throw the code..... but everyone's understanding is that misfire is not actually happening, it's just a false-positive due to weight being off (less than 3lbs). TSXRonald mentioned this first with his super light weight flywheel, but with Optimus running Si flywheel no problem I thought I would be safe.. apparently not, it's right on the edge (I imagine) causing the CEL to come on in special circumstances.Kinda sucks for me cause if I ever go back to stock, Im gunna have to sell the car with the flashpro for it to be drive-able.

Long story short, in FP manager there is a check box to turn off misfire detection. This solves the problem. Not sure what Ktuner looks like, but I imagine you have the same option to turn this off.

This information is GOLD. Thanks a lot. It's exactly the information I was looking for. TSXronald was actually the writer of the post I mentioned in my original post. Seeing as he ran a 9lb flywheel I don't believe there will be an issue with me running a 10 or 11 lb flywheel. I really appreciate the thorough response. I also really respect your build man. It's been a bit of an inspiration so I hope to go a very similar route.
The following users liked this post:
ssjoeboe9 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:50 AM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by giovsif
This information is GOLD. Thanks a lot. It's exactly the information I was looking for. TSXronald was actually the writer of the post I mentioned in my original post. Seeing as he ran a 9lb flywheel I don't believe there will be an issue with me running a 10 or 11 lb flywheel. I really appreciate the thorough response. I also really respect your build man. It's been a bit of an inspiration so I hope to go a very similar route.
No problem man, glad I could help/inspire. And thanks for following my build
Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 AM
ROTAREDOM

I thought I made a thread about this already... here is more information for you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...sembly-915483/

Also, you should go ahead and follow this thread too

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...-boost-916768/