Second gear grinding >:|

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018 | 02:16 PM
Racer

Second gear grinding >:|

2012 TSX - 55k miles. Changed to Syncromesh FM ~1000 miles ago - CMC and CSC both replaced within the passed year (dealer installed the CMC) - Delay valve removed from CSC - Using a Blox weighted shifter

Syncromesh really did a great job at fixing a knotchy 2nd gear. I'm not sure if the outside temperature has anything to do with it but the passed few days have been 65F+. Under heavy acceleration, slamming from 1st to 2nd creates a quick grind as it enters into gear. It has happened about 7 times in the passed two days. Never experienced it before.

- Always enters into gear, doesn't seem to matter the RPMS
- Only happens when near full force slam the shifter down from 1st to second. I used to do this often in the winter without grinding. I do this currently on other gears without any problems.
- Have to granny shift or shift a bit slower to get into the 2nd gear's gate/entry point.
- At first I thought I didn't push the clutch in far enough. Slamming the clutch to the floor doesnt fix the issue.

This seems to be a common complaint. I don't think the clutch is on its way out. Any recommendations on a few simple approaches to this issue? Yes, shifting slower is what I will be doing however there are times when I just need to accelerate and will unwillingly slam it into gear. I've read about adjusting the CMC rod but a lot of the cars that people were doing that to were much higher mileage and probably due for a clutch replacement anyway.
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:10 AM
Racer

Switched out the shift knob for a very light plastic one. Haven't had a grind for over a week. I think the weighted shift knob was the culprit here.
Old 05-15-2018 | 04:18 PM
Advanced

Honestly I've had the same problem for a long time, and I knew my clutch was good. I suspected the throw out bearing, and I did my clutch yesterday and the throw out bearing was shot. Both of the clips that hold it in place were cracked. And now every gear specially second is great. My clutch still had a lot of life on it (170k stock clutch) so wasn't happy to have to change it but soo much better now.
BTW I did mine in the driveway and I'm not super mechanically inclined but it's deff a job you can do in the garage or driveway if you got the tools. Just don't drop the subframe.
Old 05-15-2018 | 05:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BigBuffetPocket
Honestly I've had the same problem for a long time, and I knew my clutch was good. I suspected the throw out bearing, and I did my clutch yesterday and the throw out bearing was shot. Both of the clips that hold it in place were cracked. And now every gear specially second is great. My clutch still had a lot of life on it (170k stock clutch) so wasn't happy to have to change it but soo much better now.
BTW I did mine in the driveway and I'm not super mechanically inclined but it's deff a job you can do in the garage or driveway if you got the tools. Just don't drop the subframe.
You got 170k miles on the stock clutch? What mileage did you start having the grind? Any other symptoms that the throwout bearing was failing? How about pedal vibration? Second has always been a pissy gear, I've got it down well I've noticed it really has to do with timing of the shift/rpms. Syncromesh really helped. I don't think I'd do my clutch in the driveway. I've seen videos of people doing it and while I can do things here and there I wouldn't do that to my DD.
Old 05-15-2018 | 05:47 PM
Advanced

Yeah 170 on the stock clutch I got the car with 120 on it. The grind happened around 145. It started with second. Then it became hard to get into first so I adjusted the cmc and it felt brand new but the fix was temporary. Although getting into first never became an issue again, second gear grinding came back. Never had any peddle vibration but the pedal felt dead, it had no spring to it. Yeah for me it was shifting second under hard acceleration, which is why I dealt with it so long because really didn't notice until then.
I'll snap a pic of my old clutch and bearing so you could see how bad the bearing was.
Old 05-17-2018 | 10:04 PM
Advanced

Sorry been a little busy. But here's a pic of how messed up the bearing was and what it should look like.
The following users liked this post:
TSX1012m6 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018 | 10:02 AM
Racer

Ouch that looks bad. I don't think I'm there yet with only 55k but who knows. I'm sure it could use service. Do you still have to pull apart the car/suspension to get to that bearing?
Old 05-18-2018 | 03:10 PM
Advanced

With 55k it won't be that bad. But yeah the bearing is inside the transmission, so you would have to take it apart. If you were to go that far you should do the clutch also. How's it been with the different shift knob?
Old 05-18-2018 | 03:53 PM
Racer

Have not had a grind once since removing the weighted shift knob. Using the OEM one now, no problems. Once again, depending on RPMs/how long I waited to shift sometimes it will melt right into second and others it feels like there is a bump or chatter when entering second. It has however significantly improved with removing the CSC delay valve and replacing the trans fluid with Syncromesh FM. I think its a Honda thing to be honest. It never refuses to enter into gear however even at redline.
Old 05-18-2018 | 07:44 PM
Advanced

That's good. Yes taking the csc valve out makes a huge difference. Mine was worse than just making a noise going into second sometimes it would grind and not even go into gear. More than half the time trying to launch off the line it would take me 2 tries to get into second 😣
Old 05-20-2018 | 01:13 PM
Safety Car

repeated gear slamming in a car with a huge delta from 1st to 2nd gear...and a clutch setup that engages close to the floor is a recipe for worn synchros.

This isn't a "performance" transmission...so its not really built for that use.

You could try adjusting your clutch for absolutely minimal freeplay (don't over do this or you'll need a clutch soon).

You want the engagement point of the clutch to be as far upward as possible (without causing clutch slip).

The problem being masked by switching knobs means that your shift timing (how fast you move your hands/feet) is also off.
The following users liked this post:
TSX1012m6 (05-21-2018)