Opinions....2nd Gen TSX owners who previously owned a 1st Gen TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Opinions....2nd Gen TSX owners who previously owned a 1st Gen TSX

As the title states, I'm considering moving from a 2008 TSX w/ nav to a 2011 or 2012 TSX tech. I'd like to hear opinions from 2nd Gen owners who previously owned a 1st Generation TSX. Obviously, if I get very serious, I'll go and drive one for myself. It's been a couple of years since I drove a newer TSX.

Let me know your thoughts......good and bad, please !!!! Any observations are appreciated.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Ladies call me LoveTran

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i had a 04 w/Navi and just upgraded to 10 V6 w/Tech. Besides the obvious increased horsepower and speed, the newer model is bigger in length and width. Call me a noob but I had to make an adjustment on how I pull up to curbs and how I park. I have scrapped one of my rims and I park a bit too much to the right.

Other than that, I love the new car. All the 3rd party stuff I put into the old car comes in the V6 Tech model. There is not much aftermarket performance stuff for the V6 model. e.g. exhaust, etc. If you get the 4 cyl model you will have options.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
bsprinker (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 04 TSX base and just got a 12 TSX base. Both Auto.

Positive:
Bigger interior and roomy trunk
More power around town
Seat is very comfortable
Fuel economy is much better and use regular. 31mpg with 50 city/50 highway
Transmission is better feel. Car slows down when let go of gas. Rev up too.
USB is great
Quieter
Luxury feel is there
Steering feel is better and thicker

Negative:
Handling is not as good or precise
Mid speed acceleration (50 to 80mph) is not as powerful or sound as good
Material used is cheaper (glove box door and plastic interior door handle)
Door closing sound is not as good

My two cents.
bsprinker (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
my dad had the 08 TSX with nav, and i got the 10 TSX base. gotta say, its a completely different ball game. some aspects of home but totally redone. i'd say, TEST DRIVE IT. i actually prefer the 2nd gen to the 1st gen. its more comfortable, feels like you are sitting higher up. the 1st gen felt like a go kart to me, and REALLY heavy steering on it. my 2nd gen is light
bsprinker (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I have a 2010, base with 6MT, and I tested at least one of the first generation. Other than the lack of steering feedback from the 2G's electrically-assisted system, I think the 2G is better. Despite its larger size, the 2G's chassis dynamics and ride/handling balance are superior. It's amazingly agile for a mid-sized FWD sedan, and the larger interior is a plus IMO.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
If safety is important to you, the IIHS testing has placed the new gen TSX with its active head restraints (AHR) in their highest 'good' category for rear end collisions. Unfortunately the previous gen got a 'poor' rating. In addition, side impacts tests placed the new gen in the highest 'good' category whereas the previous gen was in the 'acceptable' category.
_______

Rear crash protection TSX
2009-2012 Power leather seats with manual adjustable lumbar

2004-2008 All seats
_______

Side impact test results TSX

2009-12 models 2005-08 models
Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I was considering buying a new tsx but changed my mind. I still love my 06 and my next goal is 200k miles.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had an 07 non-tech automatic. Have a 11 non-tech automatic.

Keep in mind, the 11 and 12 models have more sound insulation and improved steering and mpgs than the 09 and 10 2Gs.

I really like the 11 better. I don't actually notice any difference in steering. I do notice a difference in steering wheel. The new wheel seems thicker yet smaller. The interior quality and design (except for one thing below) is way nicer than the 1G. Shifter gate, cubby covers, window switch plates, seats.

Really the only thing I prefer with the 1G vs the 2G is the radio/hvac displays. The 1G doesn't have that awkward TV screen hole in the dash like the 2G does.

I am dissappointed that the 2G still uses tape to hold up the headliner. It's a nice enough headliner, but why use tape???? It's ugly.

Overall, the 2G is a more refined ride. The 1G felt like a Honda. The 2G is more what an Acura (near luxury) should be, IMO.

2G has way less rattles and buzzes too.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 05 non-tech and now have a 09 non-tech. I agree with everyone above. The 2nd gen is seems better built, roomier and nicer interior as well as exterior, outside looks more agressive than 1st gen which stock seems very bland compared to curvier lines of 2nd gen. My 1st gen did seem to have slightly better acceleration at highway speeds. Both are great cars and I have had not one problem with either generation. Love these damn things, pissed at Acura for ceasing production of them in the future as I would like to get another one in 5-7 years. (guess it will have to be used again)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
IMO, you lose a bit of sportiness but gain a bit of luxury with the 2nd gen.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I had an 05 Base and now have a 10 2G. The 1G was very fun to drive due to it being very tossible in my city commutes, but the 2G feels better on the HWY. As others have said, you lose a bit of sport with the 2G, but it feels like what an Acura should be compared to the 1G feeling like a nimble little Honda. My 1G also rattled like there was no tomorrow. So far, the 2G is solid with no irritating creaks and rattles.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Clutch= much improved in CU2
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Racer

Thanks so much to everyone for the great responses and opinions, and keep them coming. Some of the points I have heard before, and some are news to me....great stuff for me to consider.

It seems many are complimenting the 2nd Gen's more spacious interior. Is it as spacious as the 3rd Gen TL?? Because I had a 2008 TL before the TSX, and it felt huge inside (like I was sliding around in the seat-and I'm 6' & about 180 lbs) and handling was unresponsive IMO. That's the reason I sold it and got my '08 TSX. Can anyone comment on the interior space of the 2G TSX compared to 3G TL. I know the measurements are somewhat close, but I felt as though my '08 TL was HUGE!!! I much prefer the size of my '08 TSX, but the 2G TSX seems to be right in between. Anyone??
Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Having owned an '04, '06, and now a '12 TSX, I would say that the 1st generation cars are better at:
- steering feel
- driving enjoyment
- material quality
- center console layout
- better instrument panel layout

The 2nd gen is definitely better in the following ways:
- larger interior volume
- better front seats (and I really loved the 1st gen seats so this is pretty impressive)
- more refinement
- more gadgets/connectivity options for the sound system
- fuel economy

I feel like if I had a choice, I probably would have still kept my '06 instead of going for the '12. However, I ended up stepping up to a TL-S in between and that was by far my favorite Acura yet.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
Thanks so much to everyone for the great responses and opinions, and keep them coming. Some of the points I have heard before, and some are news to me....great stuff for me to consider.

It seems many are complimenting the 2nd Gen's more spacious interior. Is it as spacious as the 3rd Gen TL?? Because I had a 2008 TL before the TSX, and it felt huge inside (like I was sliding around in the seat-and I'm 6' & about 180 lbs) and handling was unresponsive IMO. That's the reason I sold it and got my '08 TSX. Can anyone comment on the interior space of the 2G TSX compared to 3G TL. I know the measurements are somewhat close, but I felt as though my '08 TL was HUGE!!! I much prefer the size of my '08 TSX, but the 2G TSX seems to be right in between. Anyone??
well size of 2G TSX is 185.6 inch but more important thing is turn radius. 2G TSX is 36.7 feet. while 3G TL/1G TSX is 39 to 40 feet.
2.5 turns lock to lock allows very quick u turns in 2G TSX.
http://www.acura.com/Chassis.aspx?mo...modelYear=2012
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...&trimid=102397
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
I have two friends with 1st gen TSX's and we trade cars all the time. Overall, they like my car better. I prefer my car over theirs as well. Everyone says that the 1st gen is more sporty feeling, although I think the opposite. I think it might just be placebo effect due tot he fact that the second gen is much bigger. Also, the second gen is more comfortable. Anyone who sits in my friend's first gen then sits in my second gen says my seats are more comfortable and they have more room. They also say mine sounds better although that's probably my intake LOL.

Another thing is I love the interior of the second gen, but when I look at the two cars side by side exterior, i kinda wish the second gen had the same dimensions as the first gen, witht he looks of a second gen LOL.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I thought the 1st gen felt too small. I only test drove one, I didn't own one. I really don't have a bad thing to say about my 09 though. I think it's well balanced, handles great, comfortable and most of all, it's a blast to drive! I do know the 6MT helps with that, but I have no regrets about owning it.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
In terms of steering, I like the 2nd gen TSX's better. It has that on the whim feeling, not too heavy, however stiff and precise.

The older gen TSX steering felt as heavy as my G35. Heavier steering doesn't always mean better handling. Put nice set of tires on both cars, and I'd feel more confident throwing my tsx around the corner than i would the 1st gen. Seems more aligned and sticks to the ground

cosmetic/ergonomics things I do liked about the 1st gen compared to the 2nd, would be...The center console design. That allows for a lot more convenient compartments for storing your items, my tsx feels sort of cramped in the cabin and the storage compartments seem kind of useless (specifically talking about the 1st gen lower storage under the navi I love that.) However, the trade off here is that the 2nd generation has a cockpit cabin like feel, which some prefer as it compounds to the TSX's sporty nature.

One thing I prefer the 2nd gen over the 1st gen are the exterior. sharper lines, more aggressive look. the 1st gen's grill was just too small...and unnoticeable. Also, if you look @ the 1st from the rear, it seems too narrow for it's width...and looks really high off the ground. The 2nd gen, seems lower to the ground, and the wider stances makes it look like a sports sedan instead of a family cruiser lol.

just my two cents in this long ass opinion of mine.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The steering had more road feel in the 1G for me. I had a 2008 Navi. The only thing I kinda miss from the 1G is the sport mode control being in D stick opposed to the paddle shifters in the automatics.

Also, like someone said the steering feels very different in the 09-10 vs 11-12. It's much lighter in the earlier version.

And as I said in a different post, the glove box is normal in the 1G but poorly designed in the 2G. Things constantly fall out or out of where you put them and then the door won't shut.

I LOVE the "keep cold" box inside the middle compartment and the USB & Bluetooth sound options are awesome! The AUX connection sounded better in the 1G but I don't use it in the 2G. I use the UBS and if I forget to bring the USB, I just bluetooth my phone and play songs from there.

Also the MID was better in the 1G bc you could program it to show 2 things at once. You can't do that in the 2G.

Overall, I do LOVE my 2G and would not want to go back to the 1G if I had to.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
Having both a 2G TSX and 3G TL in the family, the TL is notably more roomier. Is the TSX as big? Not as big but pretty close for me. The TSX's seats are alot better than the 3G imo. The side bolstering is tighter and more snug and I'm a 5'9 130lbs stick LOL
Only major noticeable difference to me is rear passenger leg room which is significantly smaller in the TSX.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Civic2TSX
The steering had more road feel in the 1G for me.

Also, like someone said the steering feels very different in the 09-10 vs 11-12. It's much lighter in the earlier version.

And as I said in a different post, the glove box is normal in the 1G but poorly designed in the 2G. Things constantly fall out or out of where you put them and then the door won't shut.
Yes, the hydraulically assisted steering in the 1G has more road feel. Within the 2G, however, the steering has been changed twice. It was tightened up for '10, largely to improve highway tracking as I recall. Acura advertised improved "on-center feel." Some time after that, it was retuned to provide more assist at low speeds, so it's actually lighter in the newer 2G. I have a '10, and recently got a '12 as a loaner, and it's steering was much lighter than mine in the parking lot, but felt exactly the same out on the road. That's a worthwhile change IMO. I also liked the additional sound insulation in the '12, which someone mentioned. It felt more luxurious than my '10, but no less sporty.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the 2G glove box! It really blows.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Racer

Hey guys, I really appreciate the insightfullness of your comments. It gives me a lot to think about...and it makes me a little excited concerning the idea of a possible upgrade. I hope to make the time this weekend to drive a '12 tech; if my wife is willing to go.

In the meantime, please feel free to continue to add your comments and thoughts. I read them all with careful consideration.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM
2003 CL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st gen TSX vs 2nd gen

My dad still has an 04 TSX with 190,000 miles in amazing condition and I just got a 2012 CBP TSX Special Edition. I have driven both a lot in addition to my previous 2003 CL-S, and I have to say id definitely go with the 2nd gen TSX. Definitely bigger and roomier inside and out. The technology features are amazing in the 2nd gen with the USB, iPod, Bluetooth, etc. and the cabin just feels more luxurious compared to the 1st gen. I feel like the only thing I like better about my dads 1st gen is the exhaust sound, and I liked how in the 1st gen automatics you actually can shift up and down instead of having to use these paddle shifters in the 2nd gen autos. Either way id take either gen, but I really want a 3rd gen CL-S!!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I owned a 05 CL9 "highly modified" and now I have a 10 CU2 V6 with intake,full exhaust,suspension and brake upgrades. I would have to agree with all the posts above. Those guys were on point. It has truly improved 360 degrees inside and out. The new design took some getting used to but I love it now (once I color matched the grill...LOL) and wouldnt go back. And yes as far as size goes its a good "happy medium" between the TL and the 1st Gen TSX. I especially enjoy the shorter turning radius, the J35 V6 performance and the stereo! Once you modify the suspension the car becomes a little less refined and the handling is vastly improved. My 05 was very fast with the eng/trans mods but overall the V6 untapped is much more power/torque. It will just flat-out pull away from anything that has less than 300hp unless its some "lightweightengineswappedturbojob".I have had my share of TL-S and Infiniti G kills to the amazement of the drivers. My favorites are K24 TSX's that try me unknowingly because my car is debadged I guess and they get literally decapitated.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Racer

I drove a '12 tech this weekend, and it was everything that you all had posted. I did like the seats much more than the seats in my '08. They were wider, but not too wide; they held me in while transitioning through curves and turns. The cockpit was much improved as well. I like the center stack look and layout, though it is quite different from my '08. As far as the size of the car, it really is a "happy medium" between the 1G TSX and the 3G TL...and it feels more grown up. I liked it! I feel I could get used to it very quickly and, I feel, not miss my '08.

I must say though that it didn't feel as quick out of the hole as my '08; not that it makes much difference, but it was enough to notice and that surprised me. Possibly the fact that it was new and not "broken in" had something to do with it.
The steering feel was also a lot lighter than that of my '08. But I could adjust and live with that. I seems like a very agile car, which is what I am used to and looking for in my next car. I drive back roads to work and I want a car that is somewhat rewarding to drive in those conditions.

I feel it would be a good and natural move with a 2G TSX. I'm still debating the idea i my mind...time will tell. Thanks again for your thoughts. Keep them coming; I love to read opinions from the people who own and drive these cars.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
Went from an 06 tech with 140k to an new 2011 tech

Things I noticed
bigger car
less room in the rear seats
dash isn't perfect quality
quieter
drives better
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kostantinos
Went from an 06 tech with 140k to an new 2011 tech

Things I noticed
bigger car
less room in the rear seats
dash isn't perfect quality
quieter
drives better
LESS room...really? I was under the impression that it was almost execatly the same. It seemed like the same amount of room when I drove a '12 this past weekend. As you stated, I also noticed that the quality of the dash wasn't perfect. That kindof surprised me too. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My situation is a bit different as I went from an '04 6MT sedan to an '11 5AT Sport Wagon. I've driven MT for the last 15 years, but the realities of adulthood, parenthood, and having a wife who can't drive MT no matter how many times I try to teach her led me to the 5AT wagon. The SW is good, but I find myself longing for my first gen pretty regularly. In my case I think I'm really longing for the 6MT, and if the wagon had it maybe I wouldn't miss my '04. The superior steering feel of gen 1 has been mentioned. The gen 1 cornered way flatter than my somewhat floaty feeling SW, and I preferred the look and layout of the gen 1 interior over the gen 2. Someone mentioned that the gen 2 steering wheel is smaller and beefier and thus better than the gen 1, and I do wholeheartedly agree with this. The seats are pretty similar, and I feel like the gen 2 may have slightly more side bolstering, or maybe the bolstering goes a bit higher toward the shoulders than in the gen 1. I loved the gen 1 seats, and I love the gen 2 seats a little more.

No one's mentioned this, at least I don't think so as I don't recall having read it, and much of it is OCD on my part, but I find the Average Fuel A indicator to be a real downer. This is the one that shows you your average MPG for the tank. My 04 didn't have this, and I drove it with reckless abandon, enjoying every second, while still getting pretty decent MPG. The Average Fuel A indicator is like the voice of reason telling me I'm being irresponsible when I drive in a spirited manner. Theoretically I could disregard it, but I'm a logical, rational person (that's why I buy Hondas and not Euro cars that may be more enjoyable but would likely come with more headaches), and I just can't fully ignore it pointing out my irresponsibility when I'm behaving irresponsibly.

Let's be clear, I don't dislike my gen 2, but if I could go back to my gen 1, I would. But again, if I had a 6MT gen 2, I may not feel this way.
bsprinker (06-19-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the outside of the 1st. gen much better than the 2nd. But the interior is nicer in the 2nd. gen car. So, give me a 1st. gen with a 2nd. gen interior and I'd be happy.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the wifey drives the 2007 and I drive the 2010. So I get to compare them on a weekly basis! Overall, to me they are completely different and I like them both for different reasons. We will probably get rid of the 2010 first and keep the 2007.

-2007 is much sportier. Ride is better (not as choppy at the 2010).
-2007 Steering wheel is too big and too thin. My favorite thing on the 2010 is probably the smaller diameter steering wheel and all the buttons.
-Seats are comfortable in both - 2010 might have an edge.
-Quality is better in the 07 (door handles, all buttons on the IP, the things you feel and touch everyday have a more substantial feeling).
-Midrange punch better in the 07. The 2010 has more power off the line but lacks the midrange punch the 2007 has. They smoothed out the VTEC curve and it doesnt have the on/off feeling the 2007 has.
-2010 is quieter, but not by much. Scrapping the stock Michelins on the 2007 made a world of a difference.
-Both of them have nav and they both have the same graphics - which both suck. However, the ELS sound in the 2010 is great. But then again, the 07 sounds pretty damn good.
-2010 is definitely roomier. Width is the main thing we notice on a weekly basis.

They really feel like two completely different models. The 2007 to me has a nicer/richer feeling to it mainly because of the IP and trim. Like I said earlier, we will probably offload the 2010 before the 2007.
bsprinker (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had three TSX's, an 07, 10, and now a 12. In my opinion, 2G>1G. It's a bigger car, but not too much bigger. Its small enough to still throw it around on the back roads, but big enough to be comfortable in the car. In the 1G I always felt crammed into it. Especially on longer trips when you are in the car for a few hours at a time. The 2G is just roomier, and more comfortable.
Both models wont blow you away with their power, but I prefer my 2G over the 1G for 1 reason. The v-tech is smoother! In the 1G you hit v-tech at 6k rpm, in the 2G you hit it at 5k rpm. In 1G when you shift from one gear to the next, you leave v-tech. In the 2G you stay in v-tech when you shift from one gear to the next. I can't quote you any 0-60 times, but I would imagine they are pretty close. I just prefer the smoother feel of the 2G. All of my cars have been 5AT, so not sure if this is true with the closer ratio 6 speed. Maybe others can chime in here.
The biggest improvement, in my opinion, is the audio system. USB ipod integration and adding the subwoofer...WOW. What a difference. To be able to view track listings from your ipod right on the display, much more convenient. To be able to change songs on your ipod right from the steering wheel, so much more convenient. The 1G's sound system wasn't bad at all, but the 2G just blows it away. I cannot express enough, how much nicer the sound system on the 2G is vs. the 1G.
There are small nit-pick items that we could argue are better for 1G vs. 2G, or 2G better vs. 1G, but in my opinion, having owned both the 2G is a better car. Sorry for writing a small book, but thanks for reading.
bsprinker (06-19-2012)