The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by cmschmie
I find it funny that people are insisting on a RWD platform for Acura (Honda).

If they wanted to, they would (could) have done it a long time ago.
--
Let's put this in another perspective:
You own a company that makes jeans. All of your jeans have a zip fly. You've sold MILLIONS of pairs.
You call 100 customers into your office for a review of your products.
99 love your jeans, don't want you to change
1 person wishes you made a pair with a button fly.

Do you change it to appease that one person and possible piss off the other 99?

You guys/gals asking, pleading, bitching for a RWD (or SH-AWD) TSX are like that 1 person to Honda.

"We'll take that into consideration, thanks for stopping by"
Totally agree.

And if you'd read the rest of my posts, you'd have realized I know this already. My comments are nothing more than what I would have liked to see.

Acura clearly doesn't want to go RWD (well either that or the mother ship won't let them) As much as I don't agree, 35MPG CAFE standards say otherwise. We'll see what the sales figures have to say.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joerockt
Unreal how so many people can completely dismiss the car when there hasn't even been any really decent pictures at multiple angles, much less not having seen the car in person yet

There are several pictures of the Euro Accord available over at TOV. Multiple angles and all.

Not that I hate the styling, just doesn't do much for me. If you think it will look any different, (besides the grille) let me have some of whatever it is you're smoking.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cmschmie
I find it funny that people are insisting on a RWD platform for Acura (Honda).

If they wanted to, they would (could) have done it a long time ago.
--
Let's put this in another perspective:
You own a company that makes jeans. All of your jeans have a zip fly. You've sold MILLIONS of pairs.
You call 100 customers into your office for a review of your products.
99 love your jeans, don't want you to change
1 person wishes you made a pair with a button fly.

Do you change it to appease that one person and possible piss off the other 99?

You guys/gals asking, pleading, bitching for a RWD (or SH-AWD) TSX are like that 1 person to Honda.

"We'll take that into consideration, thanks for stopping by"
Take that one step further and lets say that your jeans factory is running at full capacity and you couldn't make more if you wanted to? Oh and you just set a global production record the year before...

Seriously, I want RWD as much as the next guy, but its not going to happen so there's little point in 'crying about spilled milk"
Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
Seriously, I want RWD as much as the next guy, but its not going to happen so there's little point in 'crying about spilled milk"
If complaining wasn't allowed on Auto forums. Might as well shut them all down.

Lets just hope there's Type S that appeases those of us who want a higher performing TSX.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a feeling they'll do what they always do with the TL and bring out the Type-S at the end of the cycle.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
If complaining wasn't allowed on Auto forums. Might as well shut them all down.

Lets just hope there's Type S that appeases those of us who want a higher performing TSX.
Heh, well there is a point there logic fails some folks. On the bright side, I did notice a little space on the steering wheel for a Type-S badge....
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
AutoManiac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
About the 5AT: First, I own one, and I think its great....FOR ITS TIME. In 2005, a >5speed AT was a rarity. So for the first gen, the 5at was a fine transmission. Its no manual, but it was no run of the mill unit. And yes, reliablity did figure in my decision making too.
I agree with you 100% that for it's time, it was a competitive AT option. I was never denying that. But again, my point is that it's time is well passed & it's long overdue for an "upgrade" plain & simple.

Now, on a 6-speed AT/DSG/SMG, Acura wouldn't put it on a typical TSX. Its a base model. If we do see it, it would be on a Type S. That seems to be the way Honda operates. Special transmission with special cars first. The closer ratio MTs were always reserved for the GSRs, Type Rs, etc. Even a 5at was a special thing for the 2nd gen TL- even though it had issues.
See, I have trouble understanding why such a tranny shouldn't be standard across ALL Acura models when virtually every other luxury makers' competing models (and some non-luxo brands) have them as standard. Audi, BMW, M-B, Caddy, Infiniti (very soon), & Lexus all have 6ATs or better as standard equip.
Why is it ok for Acura not to, even while they claim ascension into Tier-1 luxury status? I don't buy it.

So before getting into a discussion with base model TSX's, I'd wait to see if the i-Dtec or Type S will have the latest, greatest transmission everyone seems to be crying over (I mean that figuratively, of course).
About this comment on waiting for 'higher trim level TSXs' to see if they debut a more competitive AT option, see my reply above about how virtually all of Acura's peers have such options.

p.s. Even relatively "pedestrian" vehicles like the Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Mazda6 & Toyota Camry have 6ATs as options. If I were Acura I'd be embarrassed to admit that fact. Even more so after claiming to join the ranks of premium luxo makes like Aston Martin/Bentley or whatever similarly unlikely target they claimed to be aiming for.
Again, just my .
Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
On the bright side, I did notice a little space on the steering wheel for a Type-S badge....

So I guess this means you've seen it in person? Does it pretty much look like the Euro Accord that we've seen? And how close is the interior to that Euro Accord?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
jgs

09 Tsx

Has anyone seen this photo on Autoblog? Supposedly, it's the 2009 TSX.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/x-200...-tsx-x/633872/
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texas
Torque? Here is what I am considering for replacing my 04 tsx...Torque: 385lb, HP: 361, 6 sp A/T, RWD, EPA: 15/24 regular, $33,000 loaded, handles well hope the ride is good...no turbos here...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_13.html
Good luck. You are giving up reliability, gas mileage, styling and ammenities. Hope it is worth it for more HP and torque.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by jsalaita

OMG, NO WAY!?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by TSXinTN
Good luck. You are giving up reliability, gas mileage, styling and ammenities. Hope it is worth it for more HP and torque.
let's not overlook the fact that it's ugly.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Does anyone besides me read the previous posts before posting???
Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
let's not overlook the fact that it's ugly.
Thought that would fall under styling...as in it has none!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
There are several pictures of the Euro Accord available over at TOV. Multiple angles and all.

Not that I hate the styling, just doesn't do much for me. If you think it will look any different, (besides the grille) let me have some of whatever it is you're smoking.
Ah, which just came out today.

I'm just saying a car looks different when someone actually takes "real" pictures of it. I'm waiting till then to pass judgment.

God, the wheels on the Euro are just begging to be ripped off for something else...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Posted about 4 pages back.

So people are getting on others for dismissing the TSX before we've seen it. But it's perfectly ok to that to the G8?

Go have a look at the CTS and tell me if it has a cheap interior.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Aspire705
I agree with you 100% that for it's time, it was a competitive AT option. I was never denying that. But again, my point is that it's time is well passed & it's long overdue for an "upgrade" plain & simple.

See, I have trouble understanding why such a tranny shouldn't be standard across ALL Acura models when virtually every other luxury makers' competing models (and some non-luxo brands) have them as standard. Audi, BMW, M-B, Caddy, Infiniti (very soon), & Lexus all have 6ATs or better as standard equip.
Why is it ok for Acura not to, even while they claim ascension into Tier-1 luxury status? I don't buy it.

About this comment on waiting for 'higher trim level TSXs' to see if they debut a more competitive AT option, see my reply above about how virtually all of Acura's peers have such options.

p.s. Even relatively "pedestrian" vehicles like the Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Mazda6 & Toyota Camry have 6ATs as options. If I were Acura I'd be embarrassed to admit that fact. Even more so after claiming to join the ranks of premium luxo makes like Aston Martin/Bentley or whatever similarly unlikely target they claimed to be aiming for.
Again, just my .
Dude, you're still venting, so take it down a notch. I was agreeing with you, just predicting or giving you some hope on how a 6 speed anything might appear.

Better than letting you continue to pound sand, right? Trust me, a 6 speed AT/DSG/SMG would be nice. If you would have told me about this 10 years ago, I would have said Honda would have gotten to it first as opposed to other makes.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXinTN
Does anyone besides me read the previous posts before posting???
It's the newbies that often don't. Someone will tell them to read the entire thread or search before posting. If they don't get the hint, then we ...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by datadr
Raw and unrefined. Cheap interior, flimsy switchgear... It's a GM product and can't hold a candle to and Acura.
I'm surprised how so similar the Pontiac G8's steering wheel looks to that of the new Accord. How does this come to pass? Do car companies secretly trade design cues with eachother? How do they all decide what will look cool next year when the general public hasn't weighed in? There's many similarites besides the steering wheel but that particular common aesthetic seems to come out of nowhere. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it's like a there's a guy on a grassy knoll yelling "look at me!"

Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
OMG, NO WAY!?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm just saying a car looks different when someone actually takes "real" pictures of it. I'm waiting till then to pass judgment.

God, the wheels on the Euro are just begging to be ripped off for something else...

The new Accord is a good example of looking much better in person than in pics. I wrote it off until I saw it in person. But its so pointless arguing styling. Someone's F430 is another's Aztek.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
2008 Acura TSX

That grill is too much
Safety Car

I'm waiting to pass judgement too. I've been pleasantly surprised how a couple of recent hondas have looked better in person.

Heck, even watching a car in motion on the internet can give you a different opinion than the static pictures.
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
So I guess this means you've seen it in person? Does it pretty much look like the Euro Accord that we've seen? And how close is the interior to that Euro Accord?
On no, sorry for the confusion, I was looking at the interior pic posted of the Accord steering wheel.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks good, I like it. Hopefully the rear looks good too, unlike the euro accord.

Here is my chop!

ABP-ish Blue
Dropped
Mugen NR's
35% Tint
Color-matched Lower Grille
JDM Headlights

Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We haven't seen the TSX interior yet. Those are Euro Accord shots floatin about. The euro accord gets the US accord dash, hence "Accord like" was spot on...for the Euro Accord and not the TSX.
I mean if the TSX gets the Euro Accord dash.

TSX needs some wood in the interior. Wood adds luxury. Most buyers like it.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
I'm surprised how so similar the Pontiac G8's steering wheel looks to that of the new Accord. How does this come to pass? Do car companies secretly trade design cues with eachother? How do they all decide what will look cool next year when the general public hasn't weighed in? There's many similarites besides the steering wheel but that particular common aesthetic seems to come out of nowhere. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it's like a there's a guy on a grassy knoll yelling "look at me!"

The G8 interior looks like the current TL.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Racer

Raw and unrefined. Cheap interior, flimsy switchgear... It's a GM product and can't hold a candle to and Acura.
Re G8...times have changed and the tired mantra that the J or G car is better is changing...nothing like a refined slow tsx....check the G8 out next month you will see....remember I drive a tsx and I am tired of the fwd no power trip...was expecting something more from Acura on the tsx ie 6 or turbo and sh for less than a G8.. Oh and the looks too! http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_13.html
Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
There are a couple of things that really bother me about Acura right now.

But lets see what the sales numbers say. Maybe none of us have a clue what we're talking about.

The A-Vtec is forgotten somewhere, maybe the next TL will get it?
About the 2.4, I believe our european Accord will LESS powerful of the TSX.
It was 190 hp vs 205 hp till now, now it will be 200 vs... the 240 hp Turbo.
I believe the TSX will get a Turbo RDX version too.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VorteC
Looks good, I like it. Hopefully the rear looks good too, unlike the euro accord.

Here is my chop!

ABP-ish Blue
Dropped
Mugen NR's
35% Tint
Color-matched Lower Grille
JDM Headlights

Wow I luv this photochop!

Anyways I think USDM usually get better gauges /Center console compare to euro accord models, and 10-15HP. TL steering wheel with paddle shifter is a plus!!! wooohoo~ Def buying my ticket to NY auto show this April..
Old 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM
08 MDX with Sports

http://sohc.vtec.net/news_files/740462/09acc_eu-02.jpg

I have to admit that exhaust tip is so nasty, but U.S will probably get dual exhaust like previous gen..
Old 02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
AutoManiac

Unreal how so many people can completely dismiss the car when there hasn't even been any really decent pictures at multiple angles, much less not having seen the car in person yet
^^Not sure if I'm one of the people this was directed at, but I'll respond anyway.
Ok, now I totally understand what you're saying about seeing the car in person, test driving it, kicking the tires yourself, & all of that other good stuff, before deciding if it's right for you & criticizing it if it's not. But let me put it to you like this.

As an enthusiast who would love to see your brand do a better job living up to expectations & to its full potential, don't we have the right to complain when it doesn't? When it's a product you're considering purchasing for the right price, don't you have the right to expect it to live up to certain specs b4 taking it seriously as a possible candidate for your next vehicle? Well if not, I'm sorry, because that's exactly how I feel.

To me it just doesn't make sense to further consider a vehicle (or any other product really) if it doesn't live up to a few reasonable design specs. Maybe it's just me I guess.
Anyway don't take this as me looking down on anyone else's p.o.v. on the matter. After-all, when it really comes down to it, it's really our money we're spending and no1 else's right? So we should all just do what makes us happy in the end right. Besides, I really like playing devils advocate sometimes.

Oh, & one more thing.. :-)
Seeing as how this is a chat forum (of which I'm an "upstanding member" lol), & the fact that I am also an auto enthusiast at heart, I reserve the right to b#tch, mo@n & otherwise complain about anything & everything relating to Acura, it's products, marketing strategy(ies) or whatever else I (& the really cool & hardworking Mods here ;-p) deem acceptable/appropriate discussion topics within reason. (Until I'm told otherwise of course. :-D) Cool? Great!

/Rant.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TMQ
I mean if the TSX gets the Euro Accord dash.

TSX needs some wood in the interior. Wood adds luxury. Most buyers like it.
I doubt it'll get the Euro's dash. Based on the current cars, the US Accord and the Euro Accord get the same dash, and the TSX got a different dash altogether. I think the TSX dash is used in other applications in the ROW.

As for wood, that's subjective. Depends on the application. I'm willing to wait and see.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
I believe the TSX will get a Turbo RDX version too.
Or a V6 variant, or a diesel. Many rumors. Regardless, this optional engine will be matched with SHAWD. That is pretty consistent with all the engine rumors
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

That might have been true 5 years ago, but things are changing. Take a look at the products that have been released since Bob Lutz was hired. Quality and reliability have improved a lot. I bet you even think Toyotas are still reliable.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aspire705
^^Not sure if I'm one of the people this was directed at, but I'll respond anyway.
Ok, now I totally understand what you're saying about seeing the car in person, test driving it, kicking the tires yourself, & all of that other good stuff, before deciding if it's right for you & criticizing it if it's not. But let me put it to you like this.

As an enthusiast who would love to see your brand do a better job living up to expectations & to its full potential, don't we have the right to complain when it doesn't? When it's a product you're considering purchasing for the right price, don't you have the right to expect it to live up to certain specs b4 taking it seriously as a possible candidate for your next vehicle? Well if not, I'm sorry, because that's exactly how I feel.

To me it just doesn't make sense to further consider a vehicle (or any other product really) if it doesn't live up to a few reasonable design specs. Maybe it's just me I guess.
Anyway don't take this as me looking down on anyone else's p.o.v. on the matter. After-all, when it really comes down to it, it's really our money we're spending and no1 else's right? So we should all just do what makes us happy in the end right. Besides, I really like playing devils advocate sometimes.

Oh, & one more thing.. :-)
Seeing as how this is a chat forum (of which I'm an "upstanding member" lol), & the fact that I am also an auto enthusiast at heart, I reserve the right to b#tch, mo@n & otherwise complain about anything & everything relating to Acura, it's products, marketing strategy(ies) or whatever else I (& the really cool & hardworking Mods here ;-p) deem acceptable/appropriate discussion topics within reason. (Until I'm told otherwise of course. :-D) Cool? Great!

/Rant.
Your response to his flippant remark is aproximately ten times in length; he wins.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bgriffin
That might have been true 5 years ago, but things are changing. Take a look at the products that have been released since Bob Lutz was hired. Quality and reliability have improved a lot. I bet you even think Toyotas are still reliable.
Perception does seem to lag reality. In some cases 10 years!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bgriffin
I've driven the Pontiac G6, the interior is very plastic. Not the smooth shiny kind of the TSX' center console, the kind of plastic kid's toys and office utilities are made of. It's a clunky and poorly thought out car compared to the TSX. It's 2/3rds price is well justified.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter what photochop you do, an ugly grille is an ugly grille.

Pontiac - it's for a different crowd. Most Acura buyers would never, ever, ever, consider a Pontiac. Not from someone who invented the Aztek.

Now, you'll say, never say never. yeah, with that bucktooth signature grille, I say, never thought an Acura could be this ugly.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Perception does seem to lag reality. In some cases 10 years!
Top Ten Nameplates

Buick 145 PP100 (tie)
Lexus 145 PP100 (tie)
Cadillac 162 PP100
Mercury 168 PP100
Honda 169 PP100
Toyota 178 PP100
BMW 182 PP100 (tie)
Lincoln 182 PP100 (tie)
Subaru 192 PP100
Oldsmobile 196 PP100

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=435214

Most cars today are very reliable. I think its a safe bet to buy an Acura, GM product, or anything today. Now to get back on topic. I keep looking at the '09 TSX pics, and I'm starting to like it. I think its about time to trade in my '04. I can't wait to see and drive one.

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**