The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I feel the same way (especially that bold part) but I can't agree, if that makes sense. The first gen TSX was for the most part a critical success. Car & Driver's 10 Best 3 years in a row and it won a few comparison tests. It outsold predictions and remains a strong seller almost 5 years after its release. There is IMO a market for a stylish low cost "luxury" vehicle and that's what Acura seems to be going after once again.

But the Acura brand as a whole seems to be slipping and their reputation is suffering because of that. I can't help but think the TSX will suffer because of it.

Lets hope there is a much more powerful AWD, Type S version on the way.

Agree 100%

Granted we here represent a very small percentage of actual Acura buyers and we tend to be a little bit more passionate.. but i think the majority would at least like a choice of AWD and type S. Having trashed the TSX model the only type s you can get is the TL now.. that is a bit pricier than the RSX type S was so that part of the market was left high and dry for a while now.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-C
+1

That Saturn is a bug-eyed POS!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Race Director

i'm running my 04 TSX to the ground and won't ever get another Honda/Acura again about 95% sure. my reasons, hate the new Pilot design, RL makeover bad, new Accord sedan is ho-hum, new TSX I like, but it doesn't look like it will be leaps and bounds better than the current TSX, and if the next TL looks like the new TSX I'm officially jumping ship. Actually glad i changed my username now. The only great new design Honda/Acura has done is the new Accord coupe!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
heck in my opinion the exterior of that saturn looks much better.

even with this chop I did of the tsx to get it to somewhere I can stomach I dont like is as much as the saturn exterior. the stupid fat lipped flared fenders need to go for more of a design like the saturn has.

Looks alot better with a drop. Now if someone can chop it with some aftermarket wheels and maybe like a mugen grille on their and a lip kits, I think the car would look decent.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
all I have to say is where's the freaking HP? They really need to consider a 3L ish V6 option for this vehicle.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it looks damn sharp in that red color. Can't wait to see it in person.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:24 PM
AutoManiac

I can't believe Acura's still using a 5AT in this thing when all of its competitors are on to 6ATs or better. L-A-M-E! C'mon Acura, it's a 2009 for cryin' out loud. Guess that's what I get for expecting too much from Acura & this new TSX huh. Oh well, at least I wasn't too far off on the hp/tq specs of the 2.4l 4. Anywayz...

I dunno bout you guys, but this doesn't seem like a very well planned strategy for obtaining "Tier-1 luxury status" to me at all. Especially on a vehicle as important to the Acura lineup as the TSX. Am I the only 1?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by human668
size:

寸法 全長(mm) 4725 (length)
全幅(mm) 1840 (wide)
全高(mm) 1440 (hide)
ホイールベース(mm) 2705 (wheelbase)
If the US car stays the same size , it will be 3 inches longer a full 3 inches wider and .6 inches lower!

It also looks like it will get EPS, this should free up a few ponies under the hood. I also noted that it will continue with double wishbones up front, this should dispel any ideas that it's civic based as someone suggested.

Sadly, our store did not order any Red or Blue in a manual. Our order was confirmed today and we're getting 18 total with 4 in MT
Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Aspire705
I can't believe Acura's still using a 5AT in this thing when all of its competitors are on to 6ATs or better. L-A-M-E! C'mon Acura, it's a 2009 for cryin' out loud. Guess that's what I get for expecting too much from Acura & this new TSX huh. Oh well, at least I wasn't too far off on the hp/tq specs of the 2.4l 4. Anywayz...

I dunno bout you guys, but this doesn't seem like a very well planned strategy for obtaining "Tier-1 luxury status" to me at all. Especially on a vehicle as important to the Acura lineup as the TSX. Am I the only 1?
I'd much rather have a 5AT that I know doesn't have problems, than a brand new 6AT that ends up dying multiple times like in the 2G CL & TL. The tranny is not a big deal IMO.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by human668
size:

寸法 全長(mm) 4725 (length)
全幅(mm) 1840 (wide)
全高(mm) 1440 (hide)
ホイールベース(mm) 2705 (wheelbase)
2009 EuroAccord/TSX
186.0" Length
72.4" Width
56.7" High
106.5" Wheelbase

Current TSX
183.4" Length
69.4" Width
57.3" High
105.1" Wheelbase

Current TL
189.3" Length
75.4" Width
56.7" High
107.9" Wheelbase

Looks like the 09 TSX's dimensions (other than height) is about an average between the Current TSX and TL
Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wackura
I feel that the TSX looks too much like this in terms of the grill and side profile.

and this is why Honda/Acura needed to make the next TSX daring and different. Critics said the 1st gen TSX was bland (I disagree) but I'm sure they will say the same thing again. It's absolutely amazing how little Honda/Acura has changed their game plan in the last five years despite falling sales and mediocre reviews.

You beat me to it!! I was just about to post that same pic and comment on how close the 09 tsx looks way too similar to the Aura. Which in some areas is not a bad thing but you think they could come up with something a little more revolutionary. Acura can now be compared to a saturn Aura and a Camry! Great !
Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Check this out: http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...acura-tsx.html
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
AutoManiac

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I'd much rather have a 5AT that I know doesn't have problems, than a brand new 6AT that ends up dying multiple times like in the 2G CL & TL. The tranny is not a big deal IMO.
Oh c'mon, now ur just being silly! Of course no one wants a tranny that has problems or is otherwise unreliable! Who here would debate that with you? That's beside the point & you know it.

The point is, that by now Acura should have an AT that's reliable & trouble-free but that also has more than 5 gears. Anyone here genuinely disagree with me on that & is completely satisfied w/ the current noncompetitive 5AT? Better yet, is anyone else disappointed that Acura still hasnt developed anything more than the current 5AT? Seriously? Jus wonderin.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Okay so the interior looks pretty good, I like how they copied the 07-08 TL-S steering wheel, I was always envious of my friend's. The buttons just seem more complete and flow better than the current TSX's.

The engine revisions are pretty pathetic though...just put the 3.0 V6 in at least from the old accord. Something more, engine choices c'mon.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Anyone vote on the poll temple of vtec has right now as to what people think of the new design?
Looks as though most people think it looks great.
http://www.vtec.net/polls/results?po...740383&voted=0

All I can say is Acura would be stupid to now bring the tourer wagon over to the US, and if they don't I'm moving back to the UK to buy one. It looks amazing!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The new TSX if fine looking. Die hard Aziners may be disappointed but it will definitely get those who are new to Acura, especially if it's able to keep up with the goodies with others in it's class (IS250, A3, 1-series) and so forth. They played it safe but why would they mess with a good thing?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
6MT or Death

Oh c'mon, now ur just being silly! Of course no one wants a tranny that has problems or is otherwise unreliable! Who here would debate that with you? That's beside the point & you know it.

The point is, that by now Acura should have an AT that's reliable & trouble-free but that also has more than 5 gears. Anyone here genuinely disagree with me on that & is completely satisfied w/ the current noncompetitive 5AT? Better yet, is anyone else disappointed that Acura still hasnt developed anything more than the current 5AT? Seriously? Jus wonderin.
Not beside the point at all. From your original post it looked as though you were hoping the 2009 tsx would have a 6AT, and that didn't exist before hence the large possibility of issues. As far as the 6AT issue goes I don't really have an opinion; my TSX already has 6 gears.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
There are a couple of things that really bother me about Acura right now.

- The 5 speed AT and no DSG type tranny.
- Basing everything off a the Accord platform. Where the hell is a RWD platform?
- The stroking of the J series? For a company thats prides itself on being a motor company, where's the DOHC, Direct Injection V6? where''s A-VTEC? I don't have a problem with the 2.4, especially considering fuel costs but a 10HP bump (if thats what it is) will not suffice.

But lets see what the sales numbers say. Maybe none of us have a clue what we're talking about.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
Not beside the point at all. From your original post it looked as though you were hoping the 2009 tsx would have a 6AT, and that didn't exist before hence the large possibility of issues. As far as the 6AT issue goes I don't really have an opinion; my TSX already has 6 gears.
By that logic we would never see anything new from anyone, because it didn't exist before.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JAB00
The new TSX if fine looking. Die hard Aziners may be disappointed but it will definitely get those who are new to Acura, especially if it's able to keep up with the goodies with others in it's class (IS250, A3, 1-series) and so forth. They played it safe but why would they mess with a good thing?

So true.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
The Designer

If you don't mess with a good thing long enough it becomes stale and tired.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From the Car and Driver article:

"We expect the TSX will be available with the turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine currently found in the Acura RDX. Europeans wanting a gasoline engine will have a choice of Honda’s revised 2.0-liter or 2.4-liter gas mill."

Not looking too bad if that turns out to be true. I like the car and the interior, but I'm really not feeling the grill. That should turn out to be an easy fix, tho (same goes for the wheels).
Old 02-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm pretty relieved that this 2nd gen doesn't make our 1st gen irrelevant. Its an indication that the original design was handsome as it is.

However, what I am most interested in is what the new car means for the
Speed world Challenge- Touring Car prospects of the new TSX. Will they campaign a new TSX Type-S with AWD, and a 2.3T? Or the i-Dtec??

It would be interesting to see that SH-AWD unit withstand a full race season. I'd be impressed.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

- The 5 speed AT and no DSG type tranny.
- Basing everything off a the Accord platform. Where the hell is a RWD platform?
- The stroking of the J series? For a company thats prides itself on being a motor company, where's the DOHC, Direct Injection V6? where''s A-VTEC? I don't have a problem with the 2.4, especially considering fuel costs but a 10HP bump (if thats what it is) will not suffice.
i agree on those requests, i know honda likes to develop in-house, but what's taking so long?? i know they like to milk the J-series, but it's older then me now...heh. i never really complain about the HP/TQ since i knew what i was getting into when i bought the 4-cyl. but honda show us some new techs.

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
It would be interesting to see that SH-AWD unit withstand a full race season. I'd be impressed.
me too. it needs to develop the reputation that's better then it's competitors - where else but on the track.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Not a bad evolutionary update, but the interior is the reason I bought the 2008 and the reason why we'll be keeping our 2006 MDX for many years - no more touch-screen nav.

I know there's pros/cons to touch-screen vs. dial, but in a world where you use touch-screens on a daily basis for everything from the ATM machine to buying a faucet at Home Depot, moving away from touch-screen is a mistake in my opinion.

Most of my friends and family members with dial-based nav systems are envious of the systems in our MDX and TSX. Until the '07 MDX and RDX came out, I always felt like Acura was setting itself apart from the competition with its superior nav systems. Now it's just a member of the pack.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
AutoManiac

Talking

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
Still beside the point. But ok, for argument's sake I'll agree to disagree. The point isnt that Acura should soldier on with a dated 5AT that's "reliable" because it's better than having an unreliable 6/7/8AT. Who would even imply that as an option?
The point is that they still don't have at least a 6AT that's just as reliable at the current/old 5-speed unit. Virtually all of their tier-1 luxury competitors do (save for Infiniti temporarily) right?

But hey if you think Acura's only options are to keep the current 5AT because it's reliable instead of trying to keep their products competitive by building a 6sp AT unit or better, then more power to ya. Hopefully you guys won't be too overjoyed when Acura finally does introduce a 6AT/dual clutch auto, since you'll be so busy enjoying the reliability of the previous & current gens' 5AT.

Aso, impling that because something "doesn't already exist" it's a good enough reason not to expect it to appear on important FMC vehicles like the TSX, is a very very poor attitude for anyone to take regarding a budding luxury auto maker. Especially an enthusiast like most of us here & even more so for a company claiming planned ascension into "Tier-1" luxury car status like Acura is.

My point is that I'm disappointed that Acura wasn't able to introduce a more competitive auto tranny option in the TSX (or their other models) given all the time they've had since the 5sp unit debuted. It's not like Acura's competitors suddenly jumped from 4/5sp autos to 6/7 & 8sp autos overnight. If they had enough time to make that progression naturally, why didn't Acura?

But again, I'm just venting. And this is plenty "good enough" right? Exactly my point. That attitude is exactly why Acura will continue to struggle to achieve the luxury brand status they so desire. Oh well, there's always hope for the mid-cycle refresh right?
Hey it's all good guys, don't take any of this too seriously. I'm just using this forum for what almost all forums are meant for & that's an intelligent, respectful & open-minded exchange of ideas & viewpoints ya know? Stay chill fellas.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
AutoManiac

Originally Posted by dom
By that logic we would never see anything new from anyone, because it didn't exist before.
YOU sir, are brilliant! lol Cheers!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro

Overall i like the design and i even like the accord interior but like i have been saying if theres no power increase i wont buy it
Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Hey it's all good guys, don't take any of this too seriously. I'm just using this forum for what almost all forums are meant for & that's an intelligent, respectful & open-minded exchange of ideas & viewpoints ya know? Stay chill fellas.

Not that anyone in this thread has gotten carried away but a very good point to remember whenever posting.

Well said!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
AutoManiac

Wink

Originally Posted by dom

...- I don't have a problem with the 2.4, especially considering fuel costs but a 10HP bump (if thats what it is) will not suffice.

But lets see what the sales numbers say. Maybe none of us have a clue what we're talking about.
If you think the hp bump is unsatisfactory, what do you think about the handful of extra lb/ft tq? A whole ~5-8 extra lb/ft peak tq. (possibly up to an avg. 8lb/ft gain throughout the powerband) will do wonders for around town acceleration huh? lol.
Especially when saddled to a 100-200lb. heavier car with the same 'ol 5AT. lol Sorry, just couldn't resist.

p.s. Anyone wanna bet that Acura probably re-geared the AT ratios to feel more lively around town to compensate for the new TSX's poor tq/weight increase just like they did with the 8th gen Accord? lol. And by bet I mean more like a "gentleman-like wager" so to speak. Of course. ;-)
Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM
AutoManiac

Originally Posted by dom
Not that anyone in this thread has gotten carried away but a very good point to remember whenever posting.

Well said!
Yea I hear ya. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure right? It's never a bad idea to reiterate things like that every now & then ya know. Thanks tho!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

About the 5AT: First, I own one, and I think its great....FOR ITS TIME. In 2005, a >5speed AT was a rarity. So for the first gen, the 5at was a fine transmission. Its no manual, but it was no run of the mill unit. And yes, reliablity did figure in my decision making too.

Now, on a 6-speed AT/DSG/SMG, Acura wouldn't put it on a typical TSX. Its a base model. If we do see it, it would be on a Type S. That seems to be the way Honda operates. Special transmission with special cars first. The closer ratio MTs were always reserved for the GSRs, Type Rs, etc. Even a 5at was a special thing for the 2nd gen TL- even though it had issues.

So before getting into a discussion with base model TSX's, I'd wait to see if the i-Dtec or Type S will have the latest, greatest transmission everyone seems to be crying over (I mean that figuratively, of course).
Old 02-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The interior is for the Euro Honda. We all know for current generation, the Euro Honda interior is very different from the TSX. The TSX has more refinement and luxury features. I can't wait to see the interior of the new TSX. The exterior looks awesome.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unreal how so many people can completely dismiss the car when there hasn't even been any really decent pictures at multiple angles, much less not having seen the car in person yet
Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my take:

The new TSX design isn't the cool sexy Sport4 concept that most want to see, but who are we kidding, it's just an Accord to the rest of the world.

Overall design language seems coherent and evolutionary, can't fault Honda with being careful. Rear looks good, bumper is a bit ugly but it's minor. Front lights are OK with character, but the grille - why is Acura still doing the bucktooth chrome grille of the 7th gen Accord, current Civic, and the Saturn lineup? It's terrible on the RL, and ugly on the TSX. Those design people not only lack imagination, they just don't get it.

Interior - well, Accord like, if that turns out to be the case. Not adding much luxury to the Acura image, but again, it's the bottom of the Acura lineup.

Powertrain - well, we don't know anything yet. I hope the Car and Driver folks aren't setting us up for big disappointment. Turbo without AWD would still make a 6sp TSX a joy to have, and it would handily trump the Gen1 in performance, torque steer or not.

About the transmission - well Honda isn't great at that. Even BMW outsources it. Infiniti still has a 5sp Auto and so so manual. If you are an enthusiast, Honda/Acura's manual shouldn't disappoint.

Overall, with a change to the grille and a turbo, the new TSX will win big. Without those, well, the world will just move on.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I find it funny that people are insisting on a RWD platform for Acura (Honda).

If they wanted to, they would (could) have done it a long time ago.
--
Let's put this in another perspective:
You own a company that makes jeans. All of your jeans have a zip fly. You've sold MILLIONS of pairs.
You call 100 customers into your office for a review of your products.
99 love your jeans, don't want you to change
1 person wishes you made a pair with a button fly.

Do you change it to appease that one person and possible piss off the other 99?

You guys/gals asking, pleading, bitching for a RWD (or SH-AWD) TSX are like that 1 person to Honda.

"We'll take that into consideration, thanks for stopping by"
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Racer

If you think the hp bump is unsatisfactory, what do you think about the handful of extra lb/ft tq? A whole ~5-8 extra lb/ft peak tq. (possibly up to an avg. 8lb/ft gain throughout the powerband) will do wonders for around town acceleration huh? lol.
Especially when saddled to a 100-200lb. heavier car with the same 'ol 5AT. lol Sorry, just couldn't resist.

;-)
Torque? Here is what I am considering for replacing my 04 tsx...Torque: 385lb, HP: 361, 6 sp A/T, RWD, EPA: 15/24 regular, $33,000 loaded, handles well hope the ride is good...no turbos here...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_13.html
Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joerockt
Unreal how so many people can completely dismiss the car when there hasn't even been any really decent pictures at multiple angles, much less not having seen the car in person yet
That, and no confirmation on engines yet, either.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas
Torque? Here is what I am considering for replacing my 04 tsx...Torque: 385lb, HP: 361, 6 sp A/T, RWD, EPA: 15/24 regular, $33,000 loaded, handles well hope the ride is good...no turbos here...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_13.html
Raw and unrefined. Cheap interior, flimsy switchgear... It's a GM product and can't hold a candle to and Acura.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TMQ
Here's my take:
Interior - well, Accord like, if that turns out to be the case. Not adding much luxury to the Acura image, but again, it's the bottom of the Acura lineup.
We haven't seen the TSX interior yet. Those are Euro Accord shots floatin about. The euro accord gets the US accord dash, hence "Accord like" was spot on...for the Euro Accord and not the TSX.

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**