Mouse nest in my air vents!? Need new fan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mouse nest in my air vents!? Need new fan?

Hey everyone.
Today I decided to check out my car to figure out why the a/c and heat weren't blowing right. Here's my original problem...

My vents wouldn't blow out any air, even on full blast. The A/C works, cause you can hear it kick on when you hit the button. The fan is pretty loud and is definitely spinning, but still there was barely any air coming out. So I checked the plugs that all the threads on here say to check. They all looked fine.

Next, I took out the glove box and found the air filters. I took those out and that's when it all got bad. I pulled the vents out, and they were really dirty. I thought I'd found the problem. I looked into the little slot that the vents go in and there was a mouse nest! I sucked all of the junk out with a shopvac.

I turned on the fans to see if air would work better now. On full blast, there was just a decent amount of air coming out of the slot that the air filters go in. After I covered that up so that the air would go to the vents, I was disappointed again. There was more air coming out than there was to start with, but it still feels like it's on low, even though I had the knob up all the way and the fan is roaring.

So here's my problem.. Do you guys think that some of my air vents are clogged? Or, is do I just need a new fan?

Here is a video of what the fan sounds like, speeding up one click at a time. It's actually louder than it sounds. Is it normally this loud?

And, here's a picture of the air vent place that I'm talking about

That mouse got lucky. If I woulda found him....
The air smells bad now too
Old 11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
try cleaning further up (and pulling out the fan[3 screws on the underside normally])(before the filter) and take off your wipers and cowl and clean in there too (outside air for hvac system comes in there)
also the fan sounds lopsided/out of balence in that video, so it might need a new fan to fix that, but try cleaning more first, also use a dust mask for anything the mice might have been carrying, and clean you hands really well after wards
btw: nice floormats, i got the same

Last edited by friesm2000; 11-15-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
try cleaning further up (and pulling out the fan[3 screws on the underside normally])(before the filter) and take off your wipers and cowl and clean in there too (outside air for hvac system comes in there)
also the fan sounds lopsided/out of balence in that video, so it might need a new fan to fix that, but try cleaning more first, also use a dust mask for anything the mice might have been carrying, and clean you hands really well after wards
btw: nice floormats, i got the same
What do you mean by further up? I'll go try cleaning underneath the cowl in a few minutes.

And yeah, those are my $20 name-brand Big Lots mats!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by kyamcg
What do you mean by further up? I'll go try cleaning underneath the cowl in a few minutes.

And yeah, those are my $20 name-brand Big Lots mats!
in second picture, as you look at the slot, further up would be to the right , all the way up to the fresh air inlet, which is under the cowl and that is more then likely where the mice came in.
pulling the fan out will also allow you to get better access to clean out the ducting (part of the nest will proably drop out too when you pull the fan)
btw: most of the smell will leave once it is fully cleaned out

yeah i don't know where my mats are from or cost, got them when i bought the car
Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Instructor

in second picture, as you look at the slot, further up would be to the right , all the way up to the fresh air inlet, which is under the cowl and that is more then likely where the mice came in.
pulling the fan out will also allow you to get better access to clean out the ducting (part of the nest will proably drop out too when you pull the fan)
btw: most of the smell will leave once it is fully cleaned out
I popped the hood and looked into the cowl, and it was all cleaned out. I also removed those two little pieces that pop out, and still didn't see anything. I'll try looking in those places, then remove the fan. thanks.

yeah i don't know where my mats are from or cost, got them when i bought the car
Same here! But, that was only like two weeks ago.

K, I'll try this out then be back in a little bit
Old 11-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Ok, took the fan off..

Problem:

Solved:

So I reached up in where the fan goes and felt around to make sure there wasn't more stuff, and look what fell out! The culprit!

Now it blows perfectly! Just gotta order new filters, and somehow make the smell go away. Any ideas of how to do this?

Oh, and thanks a lot, friesm!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 PM
B A N N E D

NP, and well you got your revenge , at least it's dead now though, when i have had to clean out customer's cars it has been straw/grass from a field, not insulation
haven't found a dead mouse in one yet though

to get rid of the smell, maybe try spraying some Li-sol (spelling?) (we got hvac system freashener at work)(should do the same thing though) up where the fans sits and let it kinda get on the walls to kinda clean them off , then it will be a matter of letting the system work (air flow) and time for the smell to disappear

also use a air freashener in the car to help cover it up for the time being, while it disapates, and let the car air out

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Alright, I'll try some of that stuff.

A little off topic, but I figured I'd ask anyways..

One of the passenger vents won't stay down. The bottom left corner pokes out like half an inch. When you push it flush like it should be, it pops right back to how it was.

(this vent)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
B A N N E D

Alright, I'll try some of that stuff.

A little off topic, but I figured I'd ask anyways..

One of the passenger vents won't stay down. The bottom left corner pokes out like half an inch. When you push it flush like it should be, it pops right back to how it was.

(this vent)
proably missing a clip or two, should be less then a dollar each from the stealership (dealer) , if available, but the vent itself is only like $15 from the dealer

Last edited by friesm2000; 11-15-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM
B A N N E D

can't seem to find the clips for the vent but heres another dash clip which i think should be the same 90666-S84-A01 (whole car has 100's of them) 37 cents each from the dealer

also if you carefully pull on the vent on the raised area and work around it, it should pop right out
Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Damn what was in the blower motor? Looks like insulation.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Damn what was in the blower motor? Looks like insulation.
Yeah, it was insulation. When I first pulled the hepa filters out, I noticed some of the random insulation and few pieces of grass, which was how I knew it was a mouse nest. (Same thing happened to our '72 beetle)

With the insulation out, it's not loud at all, either.

Geesh Freism, you're showing my problems who's boss! I'll take a look at that vent again sometime in the next few days. (I'm storing the car in a garage down the road so it doesn't have to sit outside for the next 20-some days.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
B A N N E D

Geesh Freism, you're showing my problems who's boss! I'll take a look at that vent again sometime in the next few days. (I'm storing the car in a garage down the road so it doesn't have to sit outside for the next 20-some days.

and i work on cars 5 days a week, guess what i do for a living

and btw: acura/honda is my favorite brand, just wish they made a god damn TRUE pickup, but lexus/toyota is my second favorite , so O WEll (but they need a diesel and 3/4, 1 ton trucks here)
Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
9th Gear

Smell is still strong

Hey kyamcg, I had the EXACT problem. My blower looked just like that after pulling out the blower, that's all because I stored my car on a farm this past summer. I was wondering if you were able to get the smell out of the ventilation system. I've been running on high heat but the smell is still pretty strong. Just wondering if you or anyone has a solution (other than waiting it out). I've tried everything other than paying the dealer to open up the car.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by NoMoreNIU
Hey kyamcg, I had the EXACT problem. My blower looked just like that after pulling out the blower, that's all because I stored my car on a farm this past summer. I was wondering if you were able to get the smell out of the ventilation system. I've been running on high heat but the smell is still pretty strong. Just wondering if you or anyone has a solution (other than waiting it out). I've tried everything other than paying the dealer to open up the car.
try puttin a couple of air freashiners in your car, to help cover the smell up
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store. They make a cleaner/spray to get rid of mold/mildew and the smell in hvac systems. Pick up a can and spray it into the intake side of the hvac while running. It will help take care of the smell.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Go to your local auto parts store. They make a cleaner/spray to get rid of mold/mildew and the smell in hvac systems. Pick up a can and spray it into the intake side of the hvac while running. It will help take care of the smell.
not completely, but yeah it will help quite a bit
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Spraying Lysol into the vents and cowl underneath the hood help as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
9th Gear

I tried Lysol, I sprayed into all the vents, and up from the blower like 5x. I took apart and washed the blower, and wiped whatever I was able to reach inside with Lysol wipes. BTW it was like cleaning a dirty sewer, so friggin gross. I have 2 air freshemers and still need to drive with my passenger window down. The only thing I'd like to try (which I saw on YouTube) was you drill a hole by the blower and you spray this can thing as it's blowing, it's supposed to disinfect whatever is inside.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by princelybug
Spraying Lysol into the vents and cowl underneath the hood help as well.
What is cowl? I don't see any vents underneath the hood. There's a small vent between the wiperblades and the hood, but under the hood there's nothing.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
B A N N E D

What is cowl? I don't see any vents underneath the hood. There's a small vent between the wiperblades and the hood, but under the hood there's nothing.
that is the cowl area where the wiper arms attach to at the base of the windshied, and that vent is for the hvac system, but to get to the true intake, that plastic panel needs to be removed
Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
B A N N E D

yes he is talking something along that line
Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 PM
9th Gear

that is the cowl area where the wiper arms attach to at the base of the windshied, and that vent is for the hvac system, but to get to the true intake, that plastic panel needs to be removed
I just went my car to take a look and I think I understand now. I would have to remove the wiper blades, remove that 1 long piece of plastic, and the intake is right there, right? Can't I just spray Lysol into the vent opening? Or take it all off because I can't spray directly with that angle?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 PM
B A N N E D

I just went my car to take a look and I think I understand now. I would have to remove the wiper blades, remove that 1 long piece of plastic, and the intake is right there, right? Can't I just spray Lysol into the vent opening? Or take it all off because I can't spray directly with that angle?
can't really get it at that angle, but know that little plastic snap in piece (it is about 2 x 3 inches or so) towards the passenger sid (it is so you can get the strut bar off without having to remove everything), if you take that off i think you might be able to get a direct shot at the real intake (it is basically right above/straight up from the hvac fan), if it won't work i would remove every thing to get a direct shot at it (and yes the wiper arms have to come off)

Last edited by friesm2000; 12-23-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 PM
9th Gear

can't really get at that angle, but know that little plastic snap in piece (it is about 2 x 3 inches or so) towards the passenger sid (it is so you can get the strut bar off without having to remove everything), if you take that off i think you might be able to get a direct shot at the real intake (it is basically right above/straight up from the hvac fan), if it won't work i would remove every thing to get a direct shot at it (and yes the wiper arms have to come off)
Thanks dude. I have the Chilton book right in front of me, I see how to pieces come off. I don't see the 2x3 plastic snap in the book, but I'll go check that out next. I hope this is easy, I better save this for the weekend so I have time to mess around. Thank you for your quick replies & suggestions!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks dude. I have the Chilton book right in front of me, I see how to pieces come off. I don't see the 2x3 plastic snap in the book, but I'll go check that out next. I hope this is easy, I better save this for the weekend so I have time to mess around. Thank you for your quick replies & suggestions!
like this but on the otherside (where you see the "driver side wiper" writing
Old 12-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

You can also try going to a Vetinarian clinic and ask for a protein killer for cat urine. This will kill the smell for sure. Just pour it into a spray bottle. I used this stuff before and it works well. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

cabin air filter acua tl -s

just looked at your problem decided to change my filters i bought car used 144,000 miles took glove box off and had to cut plastic piece off so belive they have never been changed took them out and they were teribleso off to auto parts for new ones
Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Instructor

NoMore; What I ended up doing was cleaning it all as well as I could, then replacing the filters. When you take the old filters up, clean inside there as well. I actually sprayed cologne on my new filters before I put them in, too. I was hoping that the strong smell would cover up the rat smell. But actually, The air coming out now doesn't smell like cologne or rat nest, it just smells normal.
Another thing I do to get a smell out of my car is set a dryer sheet somewhere in the car, so maybe let one sit in front of your hvac filters for a few days.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
9th Gear

NoMore; What I ended up doing was cleaning it all as well as I could, then replacing the filters. When you take the old filters up, clean inside there as well. I actually sprayed cologne on my new filters before I put them in, too. I was hoping that the strong smell would cover up the rat smell. But actually, The air coming out now doesn't smell like cologne or rat nest, it just smells normal.
Another thing I do to get a smell out of my car is set a dryer sheet somewhere in the car, so maybe let one sit in front of your hvac filters for a few days.

Good luck
I probably drove the car with high heat for about 10 hours total so far, hoping the heat will kill whatever I can't reach. When I first run the car I can still smell it, but naturally after a few minutes the smell would fade. I'll try the dryer sheets. I'll look and see where my hvac filter and replace it. I hate mice.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
You should replace the filters first- Then worry about covering up the smell-
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by totaledTL
You should replace the filters first- Then worry about covering up the smell-
It's an older car and it doesn't have a cabin filter. Other than the (engine) air filter, is there another filter?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Drifting

It's an older car and it doesn't have a cabin filter. Other than the (engine) air filter, is there another filter?
An older car-? Year, make, & model?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by totaledTL
An older car-? Year, make, & model?
It's a 99 Chrysler Sebring LXi. I google'd and looked at the manual and it doesn't have a cabin filter.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Ok, I just assumed you had a 2nd gen. TL.