Knock knock... Who's there?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Knock knock... Who's there?!

Sooooo.... This has become an on going (6-8 months long) issue that I can't seem to figure out.

Issue: After putting the car into drive, I'll let the car roll before pressing on the gas. After proceeding to let it roll, I'll press on the gas and..... the car won't accelerate. I noticed that the RPM drops when I press on the gas and makes a knocking noise. (Which I believe is coming from the tranny). As soon as I let go of the gas, I can feel the car go back to normal and then the car will accelerate fine after that. Also if I keep my foot on the gas pedal (instead of releasing my foot) the car will violently jumps forward....

Disclaimer: This mainly occurs after a warm start. Rarely on cold starts.

I jus changed my engine mounts. (front & right. rear is still good) I also did a 3x3 tranny fluid drain and fill about 4k miles ago. Just seafoamed and did an oil change. Also upon changing my engine oil, I notice I have a leak in my tranny... Seems like it could be gasket related.

Anyone have any ideas on what this issue could be?? Would this be a sign of an oncoming major/minor tranny problem??
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
does the trans engage fully in D5 from N in 1.6- 2.0 seconds? why are you rolling?
always drive like that?

how bad is the ATF leak and from where- the axle seal at trans?
get it fixed ASAP low fluid causes big problems

Did you use Honda DW-1 atf or some bs fluid

atf level is correct now when ckd after the 3x3? it is slightly over 3 qts that drains out
Old 11-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Team Owner

when the trans is warm the crud floating loose in the torque convertor gets slung outward and clogs the screens- limits pressure and no smooth shifting

did you clean the solenoid screens (2 external parts) and replace the oil filter for trans?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Team Owner

front mount- oe part or aftermarket??- if aftermarket was it vac boosted and you have TESTED it now= so you know its not the cause of problem
Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
does the trans engage fully in D5 from N in 1.6- 2.0 seconds? why are you rolling?
always drive like that?

how bad is the ATF leak and from where- the axle seal at trans?
get it fixed ASAP low fluid causes big problems

Did you use Honda DW-1 atf or some bs fluid

atf level is correct now when ckd after the 3x3? it is slightly over 3 qts that drains out
Yes. Tran engages fully when going from N-D5. But what I meant by rolling is you know when you go into "Drive" the car moved by itself forward. Like that. I'll let it go forward by itself before actually accelerating further.

Leak is bad from what I could see from under the car (crosses fingers). And I can't really tell where from. I wiped the trans down hoping to see where it might be leaking from, but it only leaks when the car isn't lifted. (Weird) Taking it to a mechanic friend to check it out for me ASAP.

And yes only Honda-ATF. I made sure fluid levels weren't over or under filled as well.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
when the trans is warm the crud floating loose in the torque convertor gets slung outward and clogs the screens- limits pressure and no smooth shifting

did you clean the solenoid screens (2 external parts) and replace the oil filter for trans?
I have not cleaned the solenoid screens.... I should check though thank you... And every drain x fill and oil change I always change their filters.

As for engine mounts. They are Beck/Arnley. Front with Vac line and working....

This problem used to happen almost everyday... But when I did my drain and fill the problem went away for a couple weeks and then has been there ever since... But not daily...
Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Unhappy RPM's drop and have a "knocking" sound.....

Originally Posted by jaaaydeeem
This problem used to happen almost everyday... But when I did my drain and fill the problem went away for a couple weeks and then has been there ever since... But not daily...

So, ya think that the problem may be tranny related......check for any CEL codes and also make sure that the ATF fluid's level & condition is ok.

Recheck any recent work done and try to get that tranny leak fixed ASAP.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
So, ya think that the problem may be tranny related......check for any CEL codes and also make sure that the ATF fluid's level & condition is ok.

Recheck any recent work done and try to get that tranny leak fixed ASAP.
Ran the computer on the car already too and everything checks out. Checked the ATF and levels are 3/4 so I'll add some more fluid.

Soonest I can get the leak fixed is within another week.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

atf level when ckd per book should read as BETWEEN ie: halfway between the 2 dots

with a large leak ck it every day and add before driving
low fluid and driving = bad news a rising

most likely source for mass quantity loss is the axle seals- when lifted the angle of axles drops and may obscure site of leak,
or without engine running- no fluid pressure = no leak showing

Trans rebuild gurus--other bad spots?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Wherever is leaking you should be able to spot the clean residue of oil.
As for the RPM drop while knocking, sounds to me like the ecu is retarding the timing.
You may have a bad knock sensor thats not setting both CEL and TCS light or might just be bad gas try different station.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Rear Main Seal

Update:

Took my car to a friendly mechanic to get my car checked out aaaaaaand.... The rear main deal between my tranny and motor is in pretty bad shape. According to the mechanic that's where the leak is coming from. Looking to have it fixed this weekend. Mechanic also told me not to drive so often cause if the oil gets to my catalytic converter then it could "potentially" catch Fire.

Really wish I coulda found the culprit sooner.. This is my daily driver. Hoping for the best until I can get it fixed.