catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 08:57 AM
1st Gear

catalytic converter

any ideas on catalytic converters, dealer wants $1000 for part and have seen them for much cheaper online. anyone have any suggestions. thanks
Old 09-18-2008 | 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Check muffler shops, or our vendor Excelerate.
Old 09-18-2008 | 10:29 AM
I have dead hookers in

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...1/i-36897.aspx

70 bux.
Old 09-18-2008 | 10:55 AM
Team Owner

why do you need a cat is the question- they are warranty covered to 80k miles
Past that- as everyone says- Excelerate has both bargain and $300 performance cats,
and muffler shops should offer the same thing-
not midas type place-but a private owned muffler shop will hook you up with a LEGAL, proper for the TL- cat
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ArTL-S
anybody here bought this to replace their catalytic converter on an 02-03 TLS?

I'm tempted because of the good price.

my cat is making that annoying rattle sound even with the heat shield off while driving.
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chewi

my cat is making that annoying rattle sound even with the heat shield off while driving.
If you don't mind having your check engine light on, there's no problem with aftermarket catalytic convertors. It's pretty common for a catalyst efficiency code to pop up with them. The car will still run fine, and pass emissions. The ONLY real long term solution to the cel problem is the pricey dealer part. Check with our vendors and see if they can guarantee one that will work. There is at least one member on here that has a random technology cat with this problem, and the rt cats are among the best in the aftermarket. Perhaps someone else has had this problem and can suggest a brand that will work for more than a few months.
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLer trash
If you don't mind having your check engine light on, there's no problem with aftermarket catalytic convertors. It's pretty common for a catalyst efficiency code to pop up with them. The car will still run fine, and pass emissions. The ONLY real long term solution to the cel problem is the pricey dealer part. Check with our vendors and see if they can guarantee one that will work. There is at least one member on here that has a random technology cat with this problem, and the rt cats are among the best in the aftermarket. Perhaps someone else has had this problem and can suggest a brand that will work for more than a few months.

thanks for your inputs and recommendations.

my muffler shop wants to charge me 300 for the cat convert.

my problem is that I'm still not 100% sure where the noise is coming from.
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

thanks for your inputs and recommendations.

my muffler shop wants to charge me 300 for the cat convert.

my problem is that I'm still not 100% sure where the noise is coming from.
MY bad. I thought it was already diagnosed. Have it ckecked out before you have a cat installed. I've had way more hangers and shields rattle on honda/acura than convertors.
Old 10-02-2008 | 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

is it illegal to sell a used cat? if not i have one i could prob sell
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Not all true. Not all cats will cause the code if they arent OEM. The RT cat that Excelerate sells you wont have a issue with. You could also stick in the spark plug defoulers and wont have a issue With or Without a cat.
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
....You could also stick in the spark plug defoulers and wont have a issue With or Without a cat.
What's a spark plug defouler?
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not all true. Not all cats will cause the code if they arent OEM. The RT cat that Excelerate sells you wont have a issue with. You could also stick in the spark plug defoulers and wont have a issue With or Without a cat.
I usually try to stay away from absolutes so I've got a little wiggle room, but I re-read my post and there's that ONLY word. If you haven't guessed it, I've got a couple cars that I'm currently trying to find reasonable solutions to code p0420. I'd really like to hear from someone who can recommend an aftermerket cat that will not turn on the cel and keep it off for longer than a few months.
I've tried 2 big name aftermarket suppliers for honda and others, and have had the code come back in a few weeks. When i did a search on a technicians network, the response to having code p0420 with new convertor was more than 25 to 1.....replace with oe only! I've done a LOT of research into this and I haven't come across 1 instance of an oe convertor doing this. I'd heard of and seen random tech cats in the past, and hoped they might be a solution. I went so far as to get set up as a dealer with them to try next time this pops up. When I talked to the rep on the phone, I asked specifically about p0420 and warranty. There was some hemming and hawing, but sort of an assurance that they would warranty one.
I was thinking about trying one on my own car when last week a poster here reported running an rt cat WITH a plug defouler and still having code p0420. his car didn't have a code prior to replacing the cat.
I've seen one car [not a honda/acura] with NO cat and a non fouler that doesn't throw codes.
Other than gaining information about what will work, my biggest reason for posting on this subject is to save someone from getting the standard treatment when an aftermarket convertor causes a cel.
Typically the car gets blamed..... you need a new rear o2 sensor,well, lets do the front one,it's gotta have new plugs,injector cleaning etc.
I just want to make sure people know the possible outcomes going in.
Old 10-03-2008 | 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks everyone,

acura said my convertor has an 8 year warranty - which is good news.

if they find that it is the convertor, then my diagnostic fee is waived.

I thought my warranty expires after 3 or 5 years
Old 10-03-2008 | 02:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by totaledTL
What's a spark plug defouler?
Share the knowledge guys, c'mon.....
Old 10-03-2008 | 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

I usually try to stay away from absolutes so I've got a little wiggle room, but I re-read my post and there's that ONLY word. If you haven't guessed it, I've got a couple cars that I'm currently trying to find reasonable solutions to code p0420. I'd really like to hear from someone who can recommend an aftermerket cat that will not turn on the cel and keep it off for longer than a few months.
I've tried 2 big name aftermarket suppliers for honda and others, and have had the code come back in a few weeks. When i did a search on a technicians network, the response to having code p0420 with new convertor was more than 25 to 1.....replace with oe only! I've done a LOT of research into this and I haven't come across 1 instance of an oe convertor doing this. I'd heard of and seen random tech cats in the past, and hoped they might be a solution. I went so far as to get set up as a dealer with them to try next time this pops up. When I talked to the rep on the phone, I asked specifically about p0420 and warranty. There was some hemming and hawing, but sort of an assurance that they would warranty one.
I was thinking about trying one on my own car when last week a poster here reported running an rt cat WITH a plug defouler and still having code p0420. his car didn't have a code prior to replacing the cat.
I've seen one car [not a honda/acura] with NO cat and a non fouler that doesn't throw codes.
Other than gaining information about what will work, my biggest reason for posting on this subject is to save someone from getting the standard treatment when an aftermarket convertor causes a cel.
Typically the car gets blamed..... you need a new rear o2 sensor,well, lets do the front one,it's gotta have new plugs,injector cleaning etc.
I just want to make sure people know the possible outcomes going in.
There have been MANY who ran the RT cat that Excelerate sells without getting the code. If there is a member getting the code even WITH a defouler its not the cat causing it. He has some other issue, maybe damaged the wiring? or the front O2 is bad, or a ECU issue. I have NO cat and a defouler and i dont get a code!
Old 10-03-2008 | 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by totaledTL
Share the knowledge guys, c'mon.....
http://forums..com/showthread.php?t=296791
Old 10-03-2008 | 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

There have been MANY who ran the RT cat that Excelerate sells without getting the code. If there is a member getting the code even WITH a defouler its not the cat causing it. He has some other issue, maybe damaged the wiring? or the front O2 is bad, or a ECU issue. I have NO cat and a defouler and i dont get a code!
That's good to know. I hadn't seen much posted on here about how the rt cats do as far as keeping the cel out. It makes sense though that if they work fine no one has a reason to post. Armed with this info, I may give one a try. Do you have any idea on typical hp increase? Have you tried one yourself? Is there much difference in hp and/or noise without a cat?[not that I would ever try it Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2008 | 10:10 PM
Drifting

That link didn't work.
Old 12-29-2008 | 11:01 AM
5th Gear

I still have not seen a final answer for the cat converter. Im here in atlanta and need to find a cat quick, cause im suffering with the gas its eating up
Old 12-29-2008 | 11:21 AM
bringin lead

^^can't PM you yet, but you should join the ATL group here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/groups/atl-17/

we're trying to organize a mini meet this week if you're interested in showing off that RL.....
Old 01-01-2009 | 02:46 AM
Racer

I have NO cat and a defouler and i dont get a code!
You know, you're only contributing more to pollution.
Old 01-01-2009 | 04:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Star Playa
I still have not seen a final answer for the cat converter. Im here in atlanta and need to find a cat quick, cause im suffering with the gas its eating up
They all throw cels except oem. RT cats seem to have mixed results.

The cheapest oem cat I found was $583.20 from hondapartsunlimited.com.
Old 02-04-2021 | 06:26 PM
10th Gear

Bad URL...
Can you point out the model amongst their CAT selection?
https://xlr8performance.com/c-48-sho...onverters.html
Old 02-04-2021 | 11:31 PM
Pro

You do realize you have posted to a 12 year old thread.

From the link you posted it looks like a 2002 TL would use the following unit https://xlr8performance.com/c-48-sho...onverters.html
it is the only one that fits a 2000-2003 Acura on the website.
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-06-2021 | 11:39 AM
10th Gear

Jon M
Yes I do realize the old thread, but knew there are knowledgeable people here that would know... You re-posted the same URL that I posted, yet mention only one CAT that would fit without mentioning which one...?
I did a search for 99-03 and was this one https://xlr8performance.com/i-37219-...ef=category:48

Last edited by brawlman; 02-06-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2021 | 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I found one for 80$. Would not spent one cent more as cats are target at acura and honda. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ptions-990863/
Old 02-15-2021 | 02:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by brawlman
Jon M
Yes I do realize the old thread, but knew there are knowledgeable people here that would know... You re-posted the same URL that I posted, yet mention only one CAT that would fit without mentioning which one...?
I did a search for 99-03 and was this one https://xlr8performance.com/i-37219-...ef=category:48
Wanted to post a follow-up as to my findings and after speaking with Craig at Xlr8. Being in California, he did not recommend the above product/ URL, as it would not be CARB compliant for my state, and couldn't guarantee any codes from not being thrown... I'm looking for a direct OEM replacement, and looking to avoid any CAT issues.
This being said, I did find that Magnaflow/ Bosal (A.K.A. Car Sound Exhaust System, Inc., under California Air Resource Board (https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts)- what mufflers shops use to look up compatible CAT's) with the compatible ESI# for my car (02 TL) was "2X2l" and the corresponding "direct fit" OEM CAT OBED II was the 4481616 (confirmed by Magnaflow over phone). $828 direct from Magnaflow, or about $649 from local trusted muffler shop, used before, and also referenced was the 4481255 for a weld in CAT, but my master mechanic at the local Acura Dealership doesn't recommend cutting out the CAT, and I quite frankly would not want to cut it out in case of any issues and easier to remove if bolt on...
Old 02-15-2021 | 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bbsitum
I found one for 80$. Would not spent one cent more as cats are target at acura and honda. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ptions-990863/
I understand your concern, but an $80 CAT to me isn't worth the issues it could possibly introduce after swapping out the Genuine OEM CAT, unless you don't live in a state that deals with C.A.R.B. compliance like California...
Old 02-15-2021 | 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ We do not have yearly inspection at all and I think it said form my cat that is ca compliant.
Old 02-17-2021 | 09:27 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bbsitum
^^^ We do not have yearly inspection at all and I think it said form my cat that is ca compliant.
I'm unclear about your post, the way it's written?
It would appear you might be trying to say that in CA there is no yearly inspection and something about your CAT being compliant?
With this being said, CA has a biannual smog check and to my knowledge it's only if it passes or not. According to my master mechanic at the dealer, they're suppose to check to see if the CAT matches the EIS# with what's under the hood decal.
Old 02-17-2021 | 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm in MN and we do not have year checking. There is tons of cats for 90$ at ebay. Just check if they are Ok far Ca, contact sellers.