The 3rd Turbo Second Gen TL w/FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 3rd Turbo Second Gen TL w/FMIC

Well guys... I've been lingering around for a bit doing some research... and decided to start off this Christmas and the New Year with a custom turbo setup. ... I'll be posting up pics as I go along and hopefully dyno this thing after I find some shops here in florida.

Apparently I have a lot of space to work with for the intercooler and mounting of the turbo and the piping I'll be doing myself since I have a muffler shop down the road from me I can get my piping from and the welder right here in the garage...

Consider this a gift to the good peeps on a-zine.

Stay tuned...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Awesome! What car do you have to start off with?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
B A N N E D

Did a TL-S 6MT swap not long ago on a TL-P, I'll be also building a parts list including tools as I go along.

More than likely, this thread will become a DIY as I post

The best part is... I'll be spending NO MORE... no more than $1,000.

Goal? Running around 5-7 lbs of boost and hopefully getting 350-400 WHP.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
That sounds awesome, what year is your car?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by HBaJ
That sounds awesome, what year is your car?
'99 TL-P
Old 12-15-2007, 01:17 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Where in Florida are you?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I can't wait to see the end result! good luck!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Just chillen..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fo real, where in Florida, Im in broward!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
1k=350-400 hp?

if you succeed, you will be one damn lucky dude.

The Corvette has an $1100 optional exhaust...it gives you only 6 more hp, which isnt even worth comparing to your mods.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:10 PM
T-Swzy

you get this baby done, im more than willing to bet people will pay you 2k for it
Old 12-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm getting excited just thinking about this. Maybe you can go race dirtyjohn in texas to see whose got more boost, but I think he's running turbo and nitrous.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
im in GA and i will drive down to buy it from you for 1k
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
can't wait....
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
I'm getting excited just thinking about this. Maybe you can go race dirtyjohn in texas to see whose got more boost, but I think he's running turbo and nitrous.
Yea, dirtyjohn got turbo and nitrous. His car is sick man!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Razzi
you get this baby done, im more than willing to bet people will pay you 2k for it
2k? Eh, I guess. I could just ask for a BK value meal and gas trip reimbursment... but then again, money on the side doesn't hurt...

I'm not going to build any kits though until I make sure mine works 100% first. I have to repractice my welding skills all over again, It's been a while since I've welded a year back. LOL

I could.. but he'd kill me.... unless I find out how much boost this engine can handle. If i still had my TL-P engine, I'd just jack up the boost to see how much it can take since they're so cheap to replace ($400 or so), but with the TL-S engine? Ha... the cheapest around my area for them is at least $750. @#$! that.

Next paycheck (1 1/2 weeks from now) the kit will be on its way to my door. I already started relocating the horns and other piping infront of the radiator

Where in Florida are you?
Broward County, but I'll be in Brooksville working on the setup since my friend's letting me use her garage (it's bigger) for swapping out her transmission for free.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by johnr5
Broward County, but I'll be in Brooksville working on the setup since my friend's letting me use her garage (it's bigger) for swapping out her transmission for free.
Cool I'm up here in Tallahassee and am looking into doing the 6 speed swap on my 99 TL-P. I can't find anyone in my area to help me out with it so after I get all the parts, it looks like I might load them all in the back of a Uhaul and tow my car down there to where you are for a road trip

I'm thinking something like this, with the TL on the trailer and all the parts in the Uhaul.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2k? Eh, I guess. I could just ask for a BK value meal and gas trip reimbursment... but then again, money on the side doesn't hurt...

I'm not going to build any kits though until I make sure mine works 100% first. I have to repractice my welding skills all over again, It's been a while since I've welded a year back. LOL

I could.. but he'd kill me.... unless I find out how much boost this engine can handle. If i still had my TL-P engine, I'd just jack up the boost to see how much it can take since they're so cheap to replace ($400 or so), but with the TL-S engine? Ha... the cheapest around my area for them is at least $750. @#$! that.

Next paycheck (1 1/2 weeks from now) the kit will be on its way to my door. I already started relocating the horns and other piping infront of the radiator

So if I hear a BOV coming from a TL, I'm going to know whats up
Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Cool I'm up here in Tallahassee and am looking into doing the 6 speed swap on my 99 TL-P. I can't find anyone in my area to help me out with it so after I get all the parts, it looks like I might load them all in the back of a Uhaul and tow my car down there to where you are for a road trip

I'm thinking something like this, with the TL on the trailer and all the parts in the Uhaul.
You scared me for a second there.. it thought that american POS of a car was your temporary car. Dude, if you have a garage, I can come up there and just help you, the 6-speed swap is easy as hell. I have a hoist and I can just rent a pickup truck and make my way over to you. If you or your parents house have a garage, we can get dirty and get fat from eating takeout. lol Just let me know. The entire swap would take no more than 2-3 days, let alone, just ripping out the engine, tranny, and replacing a few things under the hood would only take about 12-20 hrs or less if we were to go non-stop.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
you never know.. you know how you can adjust the BOV on some setups from soft to hard? I'd set it to soft so I can mess around with your head each time i take off, it'd sound like the sucking up air of a CAI rather than a BOV. You'd never be able to hear it. lol
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
you never know.. you know how you can adjust the BOV on some setups from soft to hard? I'd set it to soft so I can mess around with your head each time i take off, it'd sound like the sucking up air of a CAI rather than a BOV. You'd never be able to hear it. lol
Old 12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
No He Can't

You scared me for a second there.. it thought that american POS of a car was your temporary car. Dude, if you have a garage, I can come up there and just help you, the 6-speed swap is easy as hell. I have a hoist and I can just rent a pickup truck and make my way over to you. If you or your parents house have a garage, we can get dirty and get fat from eating takeout. lol Just let me know. The entire swap would take no more than 2-3 days, let alone, just ripping out the engine, tranny, and replacing a few things under the hood would only take about 12-20 hrs or less if we were to go non-stop.
Nah, that was just a random picture I found on Yahoo to show you what I was talking about. I've been driving my dad's 2000 Accord and am about to start driving my brother's 98 Prelude until I can get all the parts together (probably gonna be a few months).

I appreciate the offer and I am probably gonna end up taking you up on it. My mom's got a 2 car garage but it's filled with boxes and stuff so I would have to clear half of it out to make some room, but that shouldn't be a problem. I have basic tools, but not everything we would need. I would just have to talk my mom into it b/c she is weird like that and wouldn't want someone coming over to her house that I met over the internet, you know? If not, my dad owns a quadraplex (apt with 4 units) and it has a parking lot that we could use.

Did you follow Kris' (fsttyms1) DIY and part list? We were talking and trying to figure out which of the wiring harness I would need. I know the engine wiring harness, the two engine to cabin wiring harnesses, but we weren't sure about the interior harnesses. Does the speedo plug into the old wiring or do I need to get the interior ones and do some rewiring?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
No He Can't

Oh, and my dad has like thousands and thousands of free airline miles from his credit card. I could just talk him into using some of those and just rent a hoist from an auto parts store here.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I got the Shifts

bump to keep this thread alive and keep the pressure on the OP. i really want this
Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Nah, that was just a random picture I found on Yahoo to show you what I was talking about. I've been driving my dad's 2000 Accord and am about to start driving my brother's 98 Prelude until I can get all the parts together (probably gonna be a few months).

I appreciate the offer and I am probably gonna end up taking you up on it. My mom's got a 2 car garage but it's filled with boxes and stuff so I would have to clear half of it out to make some room, but that shouldn't be a problem. I have basic tools, but not everything we would need. I would just have to talk my mom into it b/c she is weird like that and wouldn't want someone coming over to her house that I met over the internet, you know? If not, my dad owns a quadraplex (apt with 4 units) and it has a parking lot that we could use.

Did you follow Kris' (fsttyms1) DIY and part list? We were talking and trying to figure out which of the wiring harness I would need. I know the engine wiring harness, the two engine to cabin wiring harnesses, but we weren't sure about the interior harnesses. Does the speedo plug into the old wiring or do I need to get the interior ones and do some rewiring?
Well, I did follow a little bit of Kris' parts list, but I went on a little diversion of my own... got parts from other honda accords, older cl's and some of the CL-S. I was wondering which i will try soon, to see if the CL-S harness (which as the same connectors/pinouts as the TL-S from what i've seen) would connect to the current ecu I have as well to the 4 sensors on the transmission for me to get to vtec since i'm in limp mode. For your car, i forget if it's a '99 or '00 and up, but the only things you have to change off the harness for the ecu to the engine harness are the immobilzer pins. There are 3 pins that you have to switch from connector E to A on the '99 TL-P, but for the '00 TL's and up, you have to change nothing at all. As for the interior harness, nothing has to be changed from what I've done. If you fully do the conversion, there are the two harnesses kris bought for hte interior, but they just plug in from what i've seen

I have basic tools, but not everything we would need. I would just have to talk my mom into it b/c she is weird like that and wouldn't want someone coming over to her house that I met over the internet, you know?
That would be some akward shit... "hey mom, i met this dude over the internet, I'll be in the garage with him for a while." Yeah... I see where you're coming from with your mom being weird about it. LOL Basic tools? Eh, i'll bring most of mine also, i have breaker bars, flex tools, a portable compressor, you're straight. Just let me know.

As for the turbo setup, I'll be mounting the intercooler beginning of next week once it comes in. I'll post pics of where the horn and other smaller piping is located.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Why Boast!

Bout to do the swap too

Dude if you really need the parts to do the 6 sp swap there is a spot in MIA that is selling the setup for about $4k. PM me if you want his info. It's where I got my parts from. John when im done Im definately lookin you up for that turbo setup.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
luvs redheads!

well i would get that $500 ebay accord kit for mock up and then redo the piping for better quality and flow. Get a decent intercooler that can fit behind your bumper also. management is up to you though i guess.

good luck.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by swift22
well i would get that $500 ebay accord kit for mock up and then redo the piping for better quality and flow. Get a decent intercooler that can fit behind your bumper also. management is up to you though i guess.

good luck.
Acutually, that's the route I was going to take.. take the xs power turbo kit since for one, I already had their headers for over a year and still in good shape, and two, since the designer for them was originally is that dude speedr73 here on a-zine, I trust his work so I'm okay with that. And it can be found for much less than $500.. I've seen them for $350 -$470 shipped. The intercooler will be from several choices, I have one for the 240sx which is nice, and decent enough to fit, the RSX's intercooler or those for the b16 civics. Here's an example of one below. This can be found all over ebaymotors

Only an example. I'm looking for something between 2-3 inches in width and no more than 28 inches wide. THe piping will be a little different to avoid that mess with clearance issues for lowered cars the others had with their intercoolers having both inlet and outlets on the same side
Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
B A N N E D

I need some advice on one thing though, guys, tell me.. what management systems out there would you guys recommend? I know there's the e-manage, but since there's various versions of them, what other options do I have?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

I need some advice on one thing though, guys, tell me.. what management systems out there would you guys recommend? I know there's the e-manage, but since there's various versions of them, what other options do I have?
Some have used the Unichip. On Dj's turbo thread he was opting the greddy e manage for a tec3r.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by InspireTL
Some have used the Unichip. On Dj's turbo thread he was opting the greddy e manage for a tec3r.
Do you happen to have the link to that thread? that is, if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking e-manage also, but I was wondering how user friendly is it. I'll be doing all of the tuning myself
Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do you happen to have the link to that thread? that is, if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking e-manage also, but I was wondering how user friendly is it. I'll be doing all of the tuning myself
Honestly, do it right and dyno tune it. It can be tuned much better that way. Boomslang makes PnP harnesses for the emanage and the NEO for the TL
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145053
https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/democrats-richochet-left-126566/

Those are the two threads.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
luvs redheads!

john,

I would also recommend ceramic coating the piping after final mock up also and to ceramic coat the turbo itself also to keep underhood temps down. There is a company i will hopefully be doing business with that said when the used one type of coating inside a manifold and another coating on outside it increased hp by 8%. I will be in talks with them starting next week for a few projects of my own. PM for further details.

latta
ben
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Back in a TL again.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:56 AM
B A N N E D

I found the perfect intercooler, just started parting out infront of the radiator to mount the intercooler, I'll post pics of the project car today. Sure it's christmas and i'm chillin with friends, BUT.... I just have to do something with this turbo. LOL
Old 12-25-2007, 03:03 PM
B A N N E D

Meet the project car

Started relocating the horns, the power steering line (below the bumper reinforcement) will be re-routed (simple 10 minute solution)

I'lll probably rid myself of the CAI but keep the filter for the intake (if anyone wants it, i'll give it for a small price locally sometime soon). I'll have to get rid of my fogs also since I'll have intercooler piping in the way unless there's another way...

Might have to get rid of the bumper reinforcment or modify it for the intercooler, unsure yet. Then I have to replace the damaged hood, broken windshield and trunk, with the same painted black already (from junkyards) for the two-tone effect since I really like z3ro's setup. ... yes, it is NOT RICE.

For management, I'll get the e-manage with tool support which is not much pricey at all and then get it tuned at RZ Motoring since I've been there before.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:47 PM
No He Can't

Nice to see it coming along
Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

This is great. Can't wait to see the outcome. Should do a DIY on it. After tax season I shall consider boost as well.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 PM
B A N N E D

ok this is something im seriously lookin into. if i was to run it with out any engine management whats the worst that could happen? how much power will it create. how reliable are the XS kits? i have heard some bad things but its making me rethink my nitrous route and do the turbo instead
Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 AM
I got the Shifts

Talking

im all for a DIY. even if the DIY requires purchasing peices from you ... please comsider it as you will go down as a DIY GOD who helped us 2g tl-ers get turboed

Quick Reply: The 3rd Turbo Second Gen TL w/FMIC