Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 03:38 PM
Advanced

fla-tls the Cottman's place I took it today told me that the code that came back was P1739 3rd clutch pressure switch. He contracted ASTG which he is a member to find out the lastest on this. He wants me to drop the car off tomorrow to find out where the switch is internal or external and then give me a price quote to fix it.

Guys does anyone know if 3rd clutch pressure switch is internal and external? Also how much is that switch?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:08 PM
On the way!

They used to be external on the older models. I'm not sure about this one, as I'm still home recovering from surgery and have no access to tech support, etc.

Let us know what their conclusion is.
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:10 PM

Talking You lucked out

The P1739 code relates to an external part. Apparently, it isn't uncommon either, here's a Honda bulletin about it:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pub...s&ct=clnk&cd=4
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:30 PM
Advanced

Thanks fla-tls hope you are recovering okay and be back to work soon.

Mike Thanks for letting me know it is external! BTW, the link is not valid (page cannot be found).

Andy
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:34 PM

I'll PM you with an image of it...
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:39 PM
Advanced

Thanks Mike!
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:48 PM

PM sent...
Old 06-05-2006 | 06:10 PM
Advanced

Mike,

You have been very HELPFUL!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-05-2006 | 06:20 PM
Advanced

Mike,

A better imagine in PDF form.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B990600.PDF

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-05-2006 | 08:57 PM
On the way!

The instructions in the PDF state that you need to make sure there's nothing on the screens in there. Many times people get a code and think, "well, that's easy I'll go change the switch - because that's what the code is..."

If there is metal contamination on the screens that could mean that you have a bigger problem.

Hopefully it is actually just the third clutch pressure switch. Good luck, Andy!
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:19 PM
Advanced

fla-tls I read that in the service news and hope there is no metal in the filters as well.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks fla-tls for pointing that out.

Andy
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:22 PM
I need 2 more gears

fla-tls. I have a 99 TL and 2 to 3rd is slipping a little with moderate thottle, doesn't happen on little throttle or WOT just moderate throttle and only when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. My front engine mount is starting to go and I will be replacing it soon, would that have anything to do with this slipping feeling? also BTW if you ever need any used shop equipment let me know I sell all the Off-Lease equipment for my company. No crappy junk either I can hook you up or someone else you know.
Old 06-07-2006 | 09:36 PM
Advanced

Guys, I had Cottmans replace 3rd clutch pressure switch today. It was very easy to do I watch the guy pulled the drivers side wheel off and used a wrench to take old one off and new one back on. It took like 15 minutes.

The questions I had was I didn't have the Acura service news letter to tell him about he filter (I took the letter there Tuesday but I couldn't find it and the owner wasn't in today). Hs said there is no filter but the news letter said pull the filter and check filters for contamination.

I trusted the guy saw him do it like changing a spark plug but according to news letter check the filer.

Took it for a ride and place the scanner on it all was fine - no codes!

So back I go tomorrow and bring the letter again to show him. I want to make sure no internal damage.

Keep you posted.
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:59 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by sbuswell
fla-tls. I have a 99 TL and 2 to 3rd is slipping a little with moderate thottle, doesn't happen on little throttle or WOT just moderate throttle and only when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. My front engine mount is starting to go and I will be replacing it soon, would that have anything to do with this slipping feeling? also BTW if you ever need any used shop equipment let me know I sell all the Off-Lease equipment for my company. No crappy junk either I can hook you up or someone else you know.
Are there any codes in the computer? Any lights on?

No - your mount won't cause this. Mounts will cause clunking when shifting i.e.R->D.

This could be as simple as a TPS that's not working smoothly (showing jerky electrical signals) to a hydraulic problem in the tranny. Bring it to a shop and have it scanned. Also ask them to read the data coming from the TPS to see 1. is it within specs (you'd probably get a code if it weren't) 2. does it change smoothly throughout it's full working range. All of that engine data is accessible with a good scanner.

Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 06-08-2006 | 08:02 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by 99AcuraTLAndy
Guys, I had Cottmans replace 3rd clutch pressure switch today. It was very easy to do I watch the guy pulled the drivers side wheel off and used a wrench to take old one off and new one back on. It took like 15 minutes.

The questions I had was I didn't have the Acura service news letter to tell him about he filter (I took the letter there Tuesday but I couldn't find it and the owner wasn't in today). Hs said there is no filter but the news letter said pull the filter and check filters for contamination.

I trusted the guy saw him do it like changing a spark plug but according to news letter check the filer.

Took it for a ride and place the scanner on it all was fine - no codes!

So back I go tomorrow and bring the letter again to show him. I want to make sure no internal damage.

Keep you posted.
FYI - That's not the filter they were referring to. The filter is something else. They were referring to screens on the tubes of the switch.
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:02 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by fla-tls
Are there any codes in the computer? Any lights on?

No - your mount won't cause this. Mounts will cause clunking when shifting i.e.R->D.

This could be as simple as a TPS that's not working smoothly (showing jerky electrical signals) to a hydraulic problem in the tranny. Bring it to a shop and have it scanned. Also ask them to read the data coming from the TPS to see 1. is it within specs (you'd probably get a code if it weren't) 2. does it change smoothly throughout it's full working range. All of that engine data is accessible with a good scanner.

Hopefully it's something simple.

No lights are on, with that being said what else could be causing this? I have a 99 4spd and when I hit WOT in 1st it shifts very smoothly all the way to 4th without any signs of slipping. This only happens at moderate throttle, but no lights on at all. BTW would the bad front motor mount I have be associated with abrupt downshifts?
Old 06-08-2006 | 09:13 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by sbuswell
No lights are on, with that being said what else could be causing this? I have a 99 4spd and when I hit WOT in 1st it shifts very smoothly all the way to 4th without any signs of slipping. This only happens at moderate throttle, but no lights on at all. BTW would the bad front motor mount I have be associated with abrupt downshifts?
What could be causing it? I covered that in paragraph 3 - many things could cause it. I'm not even sure if you're really sure what slippage feels like (many people come to my shop reporting slippage and it turns out to be something else - oh I've got stories...).

Take it to a local shop and have them check it out. Find a reputable one that you can trust and come back with their professional assessment. Maybe at that point I'll be able to help further.
Old 06-08-2006 | 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not even sure if you're really sure what slippage feels like (many people come to my shop reporting slippage and it turns out to be something else
Oh i know what slippage is
Old 06-08-2006 | 10:39 PM
On the way!

I'm sure you do! ...several times over!
Old 06-09-2006 | 05:44 AM
Banned

A 4 speed?

I will tow it from/to NJ and do it for less than $3k. If you're planning on visiting Orlando, tow it down and drive it back.

I own a Cottman - so the nationwide warranty applies.
So you own a Cottman?.. I'll definitely need you for future reference.. I'm having a somewhat similar situation. https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/9-teraflop-supercomputer-ibm-gm-138289/
Old 06-11-2006 | 08:44 AM
Advanced

Update on Transmission code P1739. Cottman replaced 3rd clutch pressure switch. He said there was no need to remove the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid A/B assembly because they talked to the experts at ASTG and said with just 22K on the rebuild just replace 3rd clutch pressure switch and it will be fine. What the Acura ServiceNews June 1999 says this:

1. Remove the clutch pressure control solenoid A/B assembly
2. Pull the values feed pipes out of their ports on the trans.
3. Check the feed pipe filters for contamination

We talked about it and I agreed just replace the 3rd clutch pressure switch. Final cost $159.

What do you guys think? Trust Cottman and ASTG experts just to replace 3rd clutch pressure switch and that’s it?

Update on P1457 – leak in EVAP. I had Acura dealership do this they said system necessary to replace EVAP. canister and canister vent shut value. Total cost $335.

So far no check engine light the last two days and the tranny feels fine.

Andy
Old 06-11-2006 | 09:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99AcuraTLAndy
What do you guys think? Trust Cottman and ASTG experts just to replace 3rd clutch pressure switch and that’s it?
That's what I'd do. Too many people, both here on AZ and in Acura dealerships, jump to the conclusion that any tranny problem means replace it.