Shock Sensor - why not DEI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Sensor - why not DEI?

I am getting ready to do to the shock sensor for the alarm, I was reading the instructions from our site and noticed that they specifically mentioned not to use the DEI shock sensor. Curious, anyone know why?
Old 01-30-2002, 12:58 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I installed the DEI shock sensor and glass breakage sensor and they both work great.

check out this thread on where to purchase.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=30402
Old 01-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did you install the glass breakage sensor? How did it go?

Might as well do them both at the same time.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Re: Shock Sensor - why not DEI?

Originally posted by bricot
I am getting ready to do to the shock sensor for the alarm, I was reading the instructions from our site and noticed that they specifically mentioned not to use the DEI shock sensor. Curious, anyone know why?
I could be wrong but the problem might be because of the DEI shock sensors being adjustable. I can't remember & you should check with the guys on the CL boards also they were doing the shock sensor installs. I have the Clifford Alarm & some of the sensors can be adjusted by the remote control. I think this was the reason they had problems with some of the shock sensors.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:34 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

I installed the DEI shock sensor first then the DEI glass breakage sensor. It would have been easier to have installed them at the same time. Now if you just tap on the glass with a key or something the alarm goes off. If you kick the wheel or drop the wiper blade from 6 inches or more the shock sensor sets off the alarm.

I am well pleased with the DEI sensors, total cost about $45.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:42 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go to www.autotechs.com and you can get the glass breakage shock combo for $25.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Racer

dj5:

How did u wire the glass breakage sensor? (oh and did the price go up? At autotechs.com the glass breakage sensor alone is 45 bucks, but who cares, as long as it works.)

mbeebe;

Did u figure out how to intall the shock sensor in dual stage?
Old 02-03-2002, 07:38 AM
Racer

Anyone????????
Old 02-03-2002, 01:02 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

I purchased my DEI 504D shock sensor cost was $20.
http://www.autotechs.com/subcat12.htm

I ordered the 507T glass breakage sensor at a cost of $25
http://www.autotechs.com/subcat13.htm

Using the following instructions installation was a breeze. Just splice the wires together for both sensors at the same time.

http://public.fotki.com/novawhitetyp...ensor_install/
Old 02-03-2002, 01:19 PM
I have the need for speed

I installed a DEI sensor on my friends TLS and it didn't work. I had the same sensor on my CLS and it worked until I tested it in my friends TLS. Dunno if the wiring on the TLS is different on a CLS. Now my DEI sensor doesn't work. I think I'm gonna get another brand sensor and use the same connections.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jcl_cls01
I installed a DEI sensor on my friends TLS and it didn't work. I had the same sensor on my CLS and it worked until I tested it in my friends TLS. Dunno if the wiring on the TLS is different on a CLS. Now my DEI sensor doesn't work. I think I'm gonna get another brand sensor and use the same connections.
This is EXACTLY WHY!! I tested 3 diff DEI sensors on 3 diff cars Including mine. and it did not work 'perfectly'. And DEI sensors are sold at bestbuy and circuit city and just didn't want someone getting those because you can get it locally. I think it has a problem with working w/ our factory alarm brain.

Also a feature of the DEI that works well w/ their DEI alarm brains and doesn't work well with ours is the 'false alarm' feature or something like that. forgot what its called.

basically if you have the sensor and their's thunder or like a constant 1st stage shock then it will IGNORE this shock thus it will take a greater impact to set the 1st stage off, then the 2nd.

When I was doing testing. I was tapping the sensor w/ my fingers for about 5~10 seconds and then it started to IGNORE the shocks thinking its a false alarm. then I hit it real hard against my hand (ALARM SHOULD OF GONE OFF) and it didn't go off.
Just to make sure my conclusion was right I fully installed the alarm then started tapping the window. then hit the driverside door edge where it meets the windshield and it DIDN'T GO OFF again.

Of course I tested this setting on other cl's and tl's and same results. in some cases it didn't go off at ALL!! and to make sure the unit I was working with wasn't bad I went and got a new one and tested the same results.

If you guys want to try the DEI fine w/ me. Just trying to save u all a step.

I also updated my link to get the sensor.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dj5
I purchased my DEI 504D shock sensor cost was $20.
http://www.autotechs.com/subcat12.htm

I ordered the 507T glass breakage sensor at a cost of $25
http://www.autotechs.com/subcat13.htm

Using the following instructions installation was a breeze. Just splice the wires together for both sensors at the same time.

http://public.fotki.com/novawhitety...sensor_install/
good to hear its working out great for everyone!
Old 02-04-2002, 08:59 AM
Racer

Cool.

And thanks the for excellent feedack guys!!!!!
Old 02-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

NOVA,
Does the brand you used have a good shock sensor/glass breakage sensor combo? I can't look at your link above cause it has the ... in the middle of it, and I don't have the full link here at work.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:01 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Here is Nova's link:

http://public.fotki.com/novawhitetyp...ensor_install/

www.autotechs.com has sensors other than DEI.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

This is EXACTLY WHY!! I tested 3 diff DEI sensors on 3 diff cars Including mine. and it did not work 'perfectly'. And DEI sensors are sold at bestbuy and circuit city and just didn't want someone getting those because you can get it locally. I think it has a problem with working w/ our factory alarm brain.

Also a feature of the DEI that works well w/ their DEI alarm brains and doesn't work well with ours is the 'false alarm' feature or something like that. forgot what its called.

basically if you have the sensor and their's thunder or like a constant 1st stage shock then it will IGNORE this shock thus it will take a greater impact to set the 1st stage off, then the 2nd.

When I was doing testing. I was tapping the sensor w/ my fingers for about 5~10 seconds and then it started to IGNORE the shocks thinking its a false alarm. then I hit it real hard against my hand (ALARM SHOULD OF GONE OFF) and it didn't go off.
Just to make sure my conclusion was right I fully installed the alarm then started tapping the window. then hit the driverside door edge where it meets the windshield and it DIDN'T GO OFF again.

Of course I tested this setting on other cl's and tl's and same results. in some cases it didn't go off at ALL!! and to make sure the unit I was working with wasn't bad I went and got a new one and tested the same results.

If you guys want to try the DEI fine w/ me. Just trying to save u all a step.

I also updated my link to get the sensor.
The false alarm feature he is talking about is called FACT- this is a false alarm control & test that is exclusive patented clifford alarms DEI that assures against repeated false alarms common to non clifford systems.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:23 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally posted by FTM-1
The false alarm feature he is talking about is called FACT- this is a false alarm control & test that is exclusive patented clifford alarms DEI that assures against repeated false alarms common to non clifford systems.
I found this FACT totally useless. I had installed a few Cliiford's in my previous and my friends' cars, and I always disabled this function. What FACT does is that it will simply ignore the shock and/or glass and/or proximity sensor input if it has been triggered for a number of times, I don't remember 3 or 5 times.

So if a thief kicks your car and hide away. Your alarm sounds and stops. Nowadays, people won't even look at a whining car because there are so many false alarms everywhere. He sees nobody come, and kicks it again and hide. After a number of times, the FACT ignores any more sensor violations, and the thief can finish with his job, and your HID's are gone. The FACT is good that it will eliminate repeated false alarms due to malfunction sensors, but it also creates a loophole for clever thieves.