How is Black/Black with Summer Sun?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 08:34 PM

Post How is Black/Black with Summer Sun?

The color choices for the new TL Type S are certainly meager. Does anyone out there have experience with Black ext/Black int in the summer? Could I live with it in New England?
Old 02-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also appreciate an answer, cause i am also from New England
Old 02-28-2001, 11:48 PM
Intermediate

Cool

U have an Acura. Besides burning your ass a little at first, just Crank up the A/C and watch your nipples begin to cut glass.

------------------
2000 TAFFETA WHITE TL
NO MODS, ALL STOCK
WAITING FOR TL-S W/NAV AND A LITTLE HELP FROM ELECTRONIC GURU, STREETEFFECTZ (WHO I HAPPEN TO MEET AND GRACIOUSLY SEE HIS CAR AT THE LOCAL 7-ELEVEN)
UNTIL THEN, "STILL GETTING DA
CHICKS IN DA WHIP!!"
Old 03-01-2001, 06:44 AM
Instructor

I live in Atlanta, and I had a black/black Maximia back in '95. It was by far the best car I ever owned. That black leather was terrific looking. Of course, everything except the white gauges was black. Kind of like a Darth Vader thing. It got a little warm in the summer, but not really that bad. I'd consider doing it again this time with a TL-S, but that bowling ball wood scares me a little.
Old 03-01-2001, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

TL-SorMaxima please fix your email address, its bouncing back to me...
Old 03-01-2001, 07:28 AM
Racer

like anything black under the sun it will absord all the sunlight thus making it hot but, acura has special green tint on the glass all around that helps reduce the solar radiation (hot stuff) that enters the car, it's actually pretty cool, it doesn't really get that hot as if you don't have it!!

------------------
2000 TL, Satin Silver, Burlwood shifter, Fog light ports, front air dam and mud gaurds custom painted to match car! 18" Alba Blaze with 235/40ZR18 Toyo Proxes F4
Old 03-01-2001, 08:05 AM

I'm really glad someone started this thread cause these are the exact colors I'm thinking of getting and I'm in the deep south.

I worry about resale. It's got to be an issue with everyone in the south.

Old 03-01-2001, 02:02 PM

Yeah, as far as dark colors go, I like black and especially the agean blue color, but when the sun shines 14 hours a day down here, and the lows at night are around 80°F and the highs around 102°F, it gets pretty hot, especially when your car sits out in the sun baking while your inside working...

I would consider a lighter color in the south-southwest unless the darker color really floats your boat.

Old 03-01-2001, 07:04 PM
Instructor

I have a black/black 99 TL. Up here it is not bad at all in the summer. I always keep the headliner for the sunroof closed in the summer. It gets bit hot but the air soon fixes that. FYI, all colours freeze your butt in the winter until the heated seats kick in.
Old 03-01-2001, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I live in Texas and first looked at the TL in August, when it was over 100 degrees outside.

I sat both in a black and a white car that had been sitting outside all day in the lot, and I can tell you that it was impossible to tell the difference - both cars were hotter than hell.

Get whatever color you like; I doubt that a black car will be more than a couple of degrees hoter in the summer. Remember that the cabin is only under the roof of the car as a painted part, and that it's a green house no matter how you look at it.

BTW, I picked the WDP because the black paint job didn't look as nice to me...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-04-2001, 01:43 AM
Advanced

Hmmm, interesting topic. Anyway, I have a Black Legend with all Black Leather and Black carpet interior, and I live in Hawaii. The AC is the same R-134a as the new cars, so the cooling of the AC should be about the same. In pure afternoon 90+ degree sun, and AC on full auto high, it gets cool, but not cold. During the evening, or not so hot sunny days, it is much better. There are times when even with the AC on high, you can still feel the heat, unless your AC vents are blowing right on top of you. Overall, it has never gotten to the point of being uncofrtable, and I would still by another Black/Black car again.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Well living in Houston in the summer time is a *****. My old car was black/black and temperatures in the summer get as high as 105. just roll down the windows for the heat to go out and then crank the a/c. youll be ok!

------------------
Patrick Lee
2001 Acura TL
Sitting in my room-WW kit and spoiler
Old 03-08-2001, 11:01 PM

Cool

I once had an uncle that had a Black Lincoln Towncar with Black interior. This was back in 1981.
Well, he bought the car in January of that year and drove it with a smile on his face, very proud of his new land yacht.
As the spring came and went, the summer entered with a blistering series of 100+ days.
To make a long story short...He's no longer with us...
That sucker was HOT!
Old 03-09-2001, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pwaug:
The color choices for the new TL Type S are certainly meager. Does anyone out there have experience with Black ext/Black int in the summer? Could I live with it in New England?
You would have no problem with the Black/Ebony combo in summer heat. Last year I was reading what some people posted that the color combo would be hot but I got it last winter. Here in Washington DC. we get the average temps of 80s to upper 90s in the summer. The TL did not get as hot as my 94 Accord RED/GREY LEATHER int. I had 35% tint on it my TL has 51% tint all around. The A/C is powerful in the TL & will cool it down quick. Acura says its a high capacity A/C that will cool a midsized house. I had the Acura sunshade in the windshield & the car sits in the sun when I don't put the car cover over it. I had no problems.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips