Help deciding new car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 02:22 PM

Question Help deciding new car

I am ending a lease with a 98 Lexus GS400. Have been looking at other cars and the TLS is one of them. I'm definately trying to replace the GS400 but not the cost. Am I going to be disappointed in the TLS? Does anyone have any comments/suggestions.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

You definately came to the right place for this question!! I personally can't help just yet, but the odds are, you'll get some good opinions both ways....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 05-30-2001, 02:52 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by zoejackcj:
I am ending a lease with a 98 Lexus GS400. Have been looking at other cars and the TLS is one of them. I'm definately trying to replace the GS400 but not the cost. Am I going to be disappointed in the TLS? Does anyone have any comments/suggestions.
The first thing you must do is go get yourself a test drive. Try everything you can imagine on the test drive (slamming brakes, highway driving, sharp cornering, taking off from a stop, etc..) Hopefully the dealer will not be with you.
The test drive was the deciding factor for me.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 05-30-2001, 02:53 PM
Banned

isnt the gs400 like 50k? The TLS is around 35k, so you have alot of room to play with. I mean you can get a great car for 50k. I would go out and find a slightly used bmw 540i.
Old 05-30-2001, 03:27 PM

Instead of leasing, you'll be able to purchase the TLS. I've leased many cars and this time, the price was right and it seemed like a car I could live with for a few years. Besides, I couldn't be very restrictive with the mileage this time around. Put on close to 3k miles within a month. Just goes to show you how much fun this car is to drive. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 05-30-2001, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Since you are used to a $50K car, definitely test drive the TL-S. I've never been in a GS400 before so I really can't comment. I can guarantee you one thing after your test drive, if you feel the GS400 is better, it will not be anything like $15K better. The TL-S has better performance and is a very nice package. I'm sure the fit and finish of the Lexus is a little better but can you justify the insanely higher price? No way. The TL-S is by far the best value of any car over $30K.

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 05-30-2001, 05:52 PM
Pro

Smile

Perhaps you could go to Edmund's site, look at the comparisons in vehicles, test drive them all and come to a conclusion. Could you spend 35-55K on other folks' opinions?
Old 05-30-2001, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy

The fit and finish on any Lexus, even on ES 300 is much, much better than on TL-S. TL-S uses many parts from Honda Accord and is build in US. So you will have Honda parts that were put together with GM-like quality. Performance-wise it is not fare to compare 50K rear wheel drive V8 car to a 30K, V6 front driver. Rear wheel drive means better handling, V8 means low-end torque. Comparing these 2 cars is like comparing $50 to $30. It just does not make sense. On the other hand TL-S is the best value in the 30K range and if you value performance more that comfort or build quality TL-S is the car to buy. If you can wait till October you may want to try Infinity I35. The Nissan's engine is still the best when it comes to smoothness, torque and revving. It may be slower that TL-S because of a 4-speed auto but will have more low-end torque which is more important in everyday driving. I35 will also have more luxury features and brake assist system similar to one in BMW and Mercedes. I do not want to say anything bad about TL-S brakes just be careful since you are used to GS400 brakes. I am not trying to put down the TL-S. Again it is the best 30K car out there for now. It is just not easy to go from 50K car to 30K. It is the same as going from TL-S to Chevy Cavalier. That’s what I am driving now (Chevy ) while my TL-S is in the body shop for stolen head-lights.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:21 AM
Racer

Sup dude,
Take the test drive. You'll know the difference right away. Your talking about a GS400. You really can't compare the 2. You paying like a 20k difference. I have tl-s and drove a GS430 which I think is no way in the same league. The GS430 just blows away the tl-s in almost every aspect but your paying alot more too

Mr.T
Old 05-31-2001, 02:33 AM
Pro

Cool

Take it from me - I traded a 98 GS400 for my TLS and I have NEVER regreted doing so. As far as I am concerned, the TLS is more fun to drive, is roomier, has a bigger trunk, an in-dash 6 disc cd changer, gets better gas mileage and is JUST as fast. Granted, the fit and finish and quality of the Lexus is about the best there is, but it does not justify the extra $20-25k. A few inexpensive modifications to the TLS will make it blow away even the new GS430. The other day I toasted an LS430 with no problem. There are a few things the Lexus has that the TLS does not - the ability to open windows/sunroof with the remote, dual zone A/C, tilt/telescoping wheel, but I really only miss not having the dual zone A/C (wife is always cold and I'm always hot). I feel I made the right choice, but as with every thing, it is a personal decision. Good luck
Old 05-31-2001, 03:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
hehe.. once you test drive that GS430 -- the TL-S might as well not even EXIST!

I'm sorry, but you do get what you pay for in the new 430:

- better quality
- MUCH better braking (more assurance under heavy loads .. better feel .. better grip)
- Lexus service, outstanding long-term reliability
- better handling, better tires
- V8 .. fuel economy vs. performance?
- RWD in winter weather vs. FWD of TL-S?
- The Lexus interior is better than the TL-S

$0.02
Old 06-03-2001, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Still deciding what to do.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:37 PM

Angry

I cannot believe ANYONE is comparing a GS 400 to a tl type whatever, ya'll have got to be kidding me. That's like comparing a GS 400 to a Bentley or something. I own a 400, have driven a CL-type S my buddy just bought and a TL my buddy's sister just bought and the bottom line is you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, they are happy with they're payments, not happy with they're car, nuff said.
TL a great value let's leave it at that.

If you have never driven a GS 400/430 I suggest going to your local Lexus dealership and then you'll know what it won "CAR of the YEAR" and "10 best winner" etc, etc, etc.
Old 06-04-2001, 05:48 PM
slickTL17

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX:
I cannot believe ANYONE is comparing a GS 400 to a tl type whatever, ya'll have got to be kidding me. That's like comparing a GS 400 to a Bentley or something. I own a 400, have driven a CL-type S my buddy just bought and a TL my buddy's sister just bought and the bottom line is you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, they are happy with they're payments, not happy with they're car, nuff said.
TL a great value let's leave it at that.

If you have never driven a GS 400/430 I suggest going to your local Lexus dealership and then you'll know what it won "CAR of the YEAR" and "10 best winner" etc, etc, etc.
Look, who's comparing gs400 to the tls? We didn't start this.
zoejackcj polited asked what we thought of tls. He's coming off of gs400 lease and he wants to get a good car which costs less.
Calm down now, no one here is putting down gs. it's a different league. However, for around 35k tls is a great car with A LOT less payment.

Also the anology of tls to gs400 and gs400 to bently is correct. u may want to check yourself on that.

Old 06-04-2001, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SergeyM:
The fit and finish on any Lexus, even on ES 300 is much, much better than on TL-S. TL-S uses many parts from Honda Accord and is build in US. So you will have Honda parts that were put together with GM-like quality.
I definately agree that the fit and finish on a Lexus is better... BUT GM LIKE QUALITY??? You must be out of your mind!! Acura and GM are not even in the same galaxy! GM is TOTAL CRAP compared to Acura!
We're comparing the Acura with other fine cars (Lexus/BMW/Mercedes etc.) not GM JUNK! Sorry! But those kind of statements are PURE BLASPHEMY and FORBIDDEN!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thejavagod on June 04, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-05-2001, 02:16 AM
Pro

Cool

There is no doubt the Lexus GS430 is a better car than the TL-S. But is it worth another $25K? That is completely subjective. It was not worth it to me.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
I always have to laugh when people make statements of opinion but feel the need to be as inflammatory as possible. I'm considering three cars for my next purchase: TL-S, GS430, and 540i. Yes, I KNOW the Lexus and BMW are tens of thousands more. But in my mind, they are all in the same "league". Performance, build quality, comfort, you name it. I like some things better about each vehicle. The TL is clearly the best value, but sometimes people are willing to pay a premium for that "little bit extra".
Please don't feel the need to bash the TL to make the Lexus look better. That's one technique that car dealers someimes use that completely turns me off. I'd rather they tell me how great the competitor is and then why they're even better!

------------------
Why doesn't everybody make cars as well as Acura?
Old 06-05-2001, 05:39 PM

Red face

Nothing is as bad as GM build quality, Acura is pretty good to me even thougth lot's of people seem to be complaining about the ones built in yhe U.S. (a shame) But Acura to GM, that is kinda ridiculous.....

Old 06-05-2001, 06:45 PM
tea elle

I'd like to add one thing regarding the lower quality of Acura compared to Lexus. Acura isn't what it was six years ago in terms of fit and finish. I've had two Legends and the quality was so far superior to the TL. When I leased the TL last October I was not perceptive enough to realize that the seat in the TL is a piece of sh*t, the plastic throughout the car is soft and cheap (i.e. the seatbelt will gradually chip away at the finish of the plastic between the front and rear door just by bumping into it when you exit the vehicle), and the leather is mostly vinyl...with patches of leather on the seating surface (of course the TLS has more leather but still, cheap leather).

HEAR ME ON THIS ONE....you will regret it if you go from the Lexus to the TLS...after a few months it will become more and more apparent to you that you are driving a much cheaper automobile...rattles, creeks and all. My fiance loves my TL and she will be taking over the lease very soon (thank god its working out this way), so I'm considering the Audi A6 2.7T for my next car.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
25% Tint, 35% In Front
Old 06-11-2001, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tea elle:
I'd like to add one thing regarding the lower quality of Acura compared to Lexus. Acura isn't what it was six years ago in terms of fit and finish. I've had two Legends and the quality was so far superior to the TL. When I leased the TL last October I was not perceptive enough to realize that the seat in the TL is a piece of sh*t, the plastic throughout the car is soft and cheap (i.e. the seatbelt will gradually chip away at the finish of the plastic between the front and rear door just by bumping into it when you exit the vehicle), and the leather is mostly vinyl...with patches of leather on the seating surface (of course the TLS has more leather but still, cheap leather).

HEAR ME ON THIS ONE....you will regret it if you go from the Lexus to the TLS...after a few months it will become more and more apparent to you that you are driving a much cheaper automobile...rattles, creeks and all. My fiance loves my TL and she will be taking over the lease very soon (thank god its working out this way), so I'm considering the Audi A6 2.7T for my next car.

If you find the quality of the Acura lacking you may want to completely avoid the Audi.

Regards
-w
Old 06-11-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro

Question

No, I do not regret going from a GS400 to the TL-S. Quite the contrary, I like the Acura better. Really!

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-11-2001, 11:49 PM

I'm also looking at buying a new car in the coming months, and I'm looking very closely at the gs430 or the tl type s. When it comes time to buy, my willingness to part with an extra 15k might be the deciding factor. If you feel comfortable with the payment that will accompany the gs, I definitely say go for it, but the TL is a very good second choice.
Old 06-12-2001, 02:22 AM
Advanced

I will go for Acura TLS if my budget is limited, However if it's more affordable, I would highly recommand GS430, the interior is much more refreshing than pre 2000s, and the performance remains the champ of its league. (not everything/handling, just offline, people) at the RECENT motortrend, GS430 scored 13.9 in quarter mile, that's an half second improvement over the past 400.

Lexus has by far the best Nav, and unequal sense of power. However, if you are interested, let me know so I can give you an unbelivable deal on the 430.

540i Manual with sport package is also a very good car, IMO it is as good as my gs430 performance wised. (only manual) but the interior needs more refinement, and the 5 series design is closing to its end of cycle. BMW's nav is kinda hard to use in comparing with Lexus.

Acura TLS, seems like a smart people's car who knows about their budget and wouldn't like showing off to much, yet still have the performance based. My only downs is for its styling, the front shoudl remain sharper and different than a regular TL.

just my 02, either of these cars mention is top of their own league, and you can't go wrong.

------------------
2001 GS430,
Swiftracing Torque Converter/HFI intake.
L-tuned suspension with steering ECU.
Lsportline kit
Lowenhart 20''rims with Pzero tires.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:43 PM

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you're going from a 98 GS400 to a 02 GS430? Maybe you should try to wait (dont know how your lease works) a bit for the new Mercedes E-class or get something a bit different.

Anyway, just one thing on the GS. I was going to buy one back when they came out a few years back, but I could NEVER get over that hideous rear end. A rear end so horrific only the new Maxima could take away the pain.

I agree about the TL-S needing a more aggresive front end, but overall I dont think its bland one bit. I like the look. Not too round, not too edgy. And I love the wanna-be GS interior, too. GS's have beautiful interiors, but I saw a GS430 and didnt notice anything new (it was a quick glance).

Also, on the LS430 that my cousin has he has something that says TRAF and it flashed on time on the way to Reno and 10 seconds later there was traffic all of a sudden. Do they have this feature?

GS is a nice car, but the back end is just hideous (along with the Lincoln Navigator and aforementioned Maxima). The only way a car with that ugly of a backend can look decent is if you get it without a spoiler, lower it, and get it in black. Maybe take out the cheese if you are skilled and make it clear.

Just my 2 cents. Havent bought a car yet, but will in the next two months. Have checked out a used 98GS400 and could get one for near the same price as a new TL-S (the GS, of course, having a lot of miles.) I think I'll be going for the TL-S (just seems a lot fresher to me.)

No offense intended.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:00 PM

Cool

Whew, glad to hear u made the right choice.
Remeber, "Costs to be the boss"
Tl is a good car but comparing it to a GS or A-6 is ridiculous.

I agree GS styling not for everyone (very aggresive) but it looks like NO OTHER car on earth, which is more than I can say about the tl.

TL is a good car, let's stop comparing it to higher priced competition, that is not fair.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:43 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX:

TL is a good car, let's stop comparing it to higher priced competition, that is not fair.
The problem we're having is that nothing compares to the TL-S...it's in a class by itself Entry-Luxury,Perfomance,Value...what other car is like it in all three ways?

Just my 2 cents

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
25% Tint, 35% In Front
Thomas Guide for So Cal
Old 06-22-2001, 11:18 PM

Cool

Originally posted by GS430:
I will go for Acura TLS if my budget is limited, However if it's more affordable, I would highly recommand GS430, the interior is much more refreshing than pre 2000s, and the performance remains the champ of its league. (not everything/handling, just offline, people) at the RECENT motortrend, GS430 scored 13.9 in quarter mile, that's an half second improvement over the past 400.

Lexus has by far the best Nav, and unequal sense of power. However, if you are interested, let me know so I can give you an unbelivable deal on the 430.

540i Manual with sport package is also a very good car, IMO it is as good as my gs430 performance wised. (only manual) but the interior needs more refinement, and the 5 series design is closing to its end of cycle. BMW's nav is kinda hard to use in comparing with Lexus.

Acura TLS, seems like a smart people's car who knows about their budget and wouldn't like showing off to much, yet still have the performance based. My only downs is for its styling, the front shoudl remain sharper and different than a regular TL.

just my 02, either of these cars mention is top of their own league, and you can't go wrong.

Well I've finally made up my mind and have gone with a GS 430. I tried out the TLS and wasn't happy with the power. I think if I never had a GS, the TLS would have been a great choice. So I'm just going to suck it up and pay the big bucks.
Thanks to everyone for their input. Great forum.