CD player problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 09:44 PM

Post CD player problems

When i burn a CD and put a label on it it messes up the CD player. The CD goes in, plays, and comes out fine without the label. With the label it goes in slow, playes fine and won't come out! I have to get out the needle nose and pull that sob out. Anyone else notice or have this problem? It's wierd that a lable 100th of an inch thick could make that much of a difference. I've never ran into this problem with any other cars.

Nathan
Old 12-02-2001, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: CD player problems

Originally posted by Newter_Si
When i burn a CD and put a label on it it messes up the CD player. The CD goes in, plays, and comes out fine without the label. With the label it goes in slow, playes fine and won't come out! I have to get out the needle nose and pull that sob out. Anyone else notice or have this problem? It's wierd that a lable 100th of an inch thick could make that much of a difference. I've never ran into this problem with any other cars.

Nathan
I'm suprised the dealer didn't tell you this. Mine did. Apparently the label heats up in the player and it causes it to come off. Real nasty problem.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:49 PM

Re: Re: CD player problems

Originally posted by bioyuki

I'm suprised the dealer didn't tell you this. Mine did. Apparently the label heats up in the player and it causes it to come off. Real nasty problem.
no the label isn't coming off it's too thick or there isnt' enough traction to push the CD back out.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: CD player problems

no the label isn't coming off it's too thick or there isnt' enough traction to push the CD back out.
Hmm...is the CD still stuck in the player?
Old 12-02-2001, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: CD player problems

This is correct. The motor that feeds and ejects the CDs is lame and any deviation from the standard commercial CD thickness will cause it to have trouble spitting out the CDs. Although the label heating up and coming off or sticking can be an issue in any player, for ours the real problem is thickness.

If you do get one in there and it has trouble spitting it out, you can save yourself a trip to the dealer by taking another CD and pressing the edge of the second CD against the edge of the stuck CD in the player. Push back gently and it will force the motor to try and spit it out again. Do this a couple of times and hopefully you will get it out. Then just remember not to put that CD in there again. I've had to go the Sharpie route for labeling my burned CDs in the car. No more labels.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Wow, am I glad I saw this post. I have only had my car for a few days and was totally unaware that labels on CDs I've burnt may spell disaster. This really stinks because I have plenty of CDs already in my collection with labels.

I suppose the alternative to not playing them is to re-burn without a label and use the "Sharpie".
Old 12-02-2001, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yup, I noticed the struggle the player had loading and ejecting CD's when I first put them in, although I haven't had any not eject on me. I wound up making copies of labeled CD, the only solution IMO, doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to strain or load the motor. So much for the crap load of blank CD label's I have...ah well.

Newtor_Si, I suggest you not insert anymore labeled CD's in your car, the trouble to take em out with a needle nose and what not don't sound so healthy for it.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:02 AM
10th Gear

Exclamation

I've had this problem with labels causing cd changers to jam other than those in our cars. I burn many cd's and now never use labels. Why invite grief.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:10 PM
Instructor

I had a top of the line Clarion head unit that did the exact same thing. Glossy labels were the worst culprits, although matte labels would occasionally cause trouble, too. My friend's Chevy also does this with labelled CDs.

I never use labels anymore. Like other people mentioned, they can heat up and start to come off and really muck up your player.

Paul