Acura is always playing catch up

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Acura is always playing catch up

We can all agree that Acura has finally got something jump started with the TL, MDX and soon to be RSX.

The RL is in serious need of revamping and just needs some excitement, such a V-8 or Type S Engine.

As I recall Acura was one of the first Japanese Luxury divisions with the Legends that had come out at the time. Since then they always seem one step behind their Japanese & German luxury counterparts, such as Lexus and BMW. Lexus is the true luxury Japanese line at this moment.

If you are into name brand recognition, most people have heard of Acura, but they lump it in with the Toyota, Honda, Nissan brands. When you ask about a luxury car or something we all want, you think Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc..

Acura does not have this luxury / high-end image in people's minds as of yet, and I am not sure how long it will take for Acura to get there. However it does look promising.

We don't want to own TLs all our lives and I can't even think about the current RL now. We dream of our Lexus and BMW eventually.

Just more thoughts.

Old 03-04-2001, 03:38 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but when people mention NSX.. they go "wow"... and become speechless.

check out my post "what do you think about this NSX" and you will be speechless

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
AEM Short Ram
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Bra - XPEL clear bra, that is.
Pikkachu on the back passenger window
Old 03-04-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro

Yeah I think the MDX is a step in the right direction. The RL needs to be replaced soon. But The NSX is in a class all by its self. The TL is a great car, it may not have the gadgetry of a lexus but i would buy the TL over a ES300 any day. Now only if Acura would come out with a convertible to rival the SC430.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit...
Quiets ride
Old 03-04-2001, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

If Acura wants snob apeal and panache, they will have to do more and better advertising, and also stop selling $20,000 cars like the Integra/RSX.

My first thought about advertising is to start showing the cars' interiors in the ads. Lots of people who get into my car never knew Acuras were so nice...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-04-2001, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

The NSX is a hot car, but to the masses it looks like a Ferrari or some other european sports car. Not everyone knows that it's made by Acura, let alone knows Acura can offer a high end sports car like that.

It's a dream car for me. But for the rest of us coming down to reality, the next car we will get is most likely not another TL if we are looking to upgrade to the next level. It will probably be a Lexus, BMW or Audi as a lot of people are talking about.

Acura has to compete better against a Lexus or BMW, since Acura is often associated as a 2nd class luxury car.

The Honda S2000 should have come out as one of the models from the Acura line to increase Acura's offering & image.

Still Acura is the best value out there for now. But maybe you do have to pay more for the best.

Old 03-04-2001, 08:35 PM
Instructor

I think the fact that Acura refuses to make rear wheel or all wheel drive sedans has something to do with it. Also they need more engine choices and options. If you look at Mercedes or BMW they offer a wide range of engines and options for most of their sedans. This allows them to attract a wide range of buyers. For example if you want a 3-series BMW you can get one for low 30s, one in the mid 40s, or somewhere in between. With the TL and the RL the the price range is alot smaller. Acura tries to guess what the market wants where as BMW makes a variety of models and lets each person choose what they value the most.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill
Old 03-04-2001, 08:38 PM

RWD!!!!!! it would give us something to separate ourselves from honda too.

------------------
screw mods...I want a sportbike.
Old 03-04-2001, 08:46 PM
Daddy

It seems Acura is missing an identity. Do they want to be a luxury brand, sport brand, or price leader. IMHO they are trying to be too many things to too many people.

------------------
'00 Firepepper Red TL
Old 03-04-2001, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by TLinKC:
It seems Acura is missing an identity. Do they want to be a luxury brand, sport brand, or price leader. IMHO they are trying to be too many things to too many people.

good point

Old 03-04-2001, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Both the RL and the NSX are getting V-8 w/ over 300poinies...therefore..in a few years...those will be kick a$$ cars!(the nsx is gonna fly like crazy) The tl is constantly being redone...and the CL is kickin a$$. And w/ the mdx....well, you get the point.
Old 03-04-2001, 10:27 PM

Acura is definitely a strong competitor. I agree with offering more choices but they stick to the honda philosophy of offereing everying the car for the most part and then only having a few dealer installed accessories. It keeps production costs down and thus allows them to sell the car at a better price.. Ask yourself this.. which Mercedes can you truly customize and get in a week.. none they all take like 3 mos unless you compromise significantly.. whereas an acura comes well equpped and any dealer installed option you want can be put in for next day delivery. Most larger dealers car a full color choice for all models also... Thus Acura truly is a more marketable practical car with refined luxury in mind...
Old 03-04-2001, 10:54 PM

Thumbs up

you know what, I think we are the lucky ones. I think Acura owners in general are just better informed buyers. I think most people do the BMW, Mercedes, etc.. deal because there shopping for a name. Or they have the serious cash and money is not an option. But I truly feel that for the money there is no better car on the market. I can live with the fact that we MIGHT not attract the attention of some of those cars but I can't remember the last time I saw an Acura on the side of the road, but I can remember lots of other cars alongside a very frustrated driver on his cell phone cause he is late for a business meeting and his "upscale car" left him standed!!! We need to stop selling ourselves short we have a great car!
Old 03-04-2001, 10:58 PM
Drifting

it's the price, and RWD... if Acura wants to stand out of the Honda, Toyota group, their cars better equip RWD... dunno why, look at MB, BMW and Lex, most are RWD.

I say price because when one wants to buy a car with 55+ grand, there's no sedans or luxury coupes. NSX is pure performance, and not everyone wants or needs that. do you remember seeing something and was amazed by how expensive it is? I think that's a reason why MB, BMW, Lexus, and Jaguar are in a class themselves when Acura cureently can't crossover.

------------------
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-04-2001, 11:04 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankly, I think Acura should have did away with the CL name and just called it TL Coupe. Too many lines IMO. Yet I agree that Lexus has passed Acura long time ago in the "luxury" category according to many's standards, but keep in mind that we haven't seen a $30K-$35K Lexus since the ES250 and ES300. Acura is "scared" IMO to step up and take chances. Our time will come soon boyz.
Old 03-05-2001, 02:37 AM

Wink

I don't know about all of you, but I owned no less than 2 BMWs (323 and 530) and my other car is a Lexus ES300.
I personally would not call BMW a luxury car! Even the 5 series I had a very spartan interior, was noisy and creaky. I drove the 528i when comparison shopping right before I got the TL and was mildly disappointed that not much has changed. Still was not very attractive, the seats were OK at best, hard leather and the car felt heavy.
TL really blew it away. Light on its feet, brisk handling that appears to trade a bit of feel (compared to BMW) for a lot more smoothness - which I personally like.

As for ES300 - it's nice, it's quiet... and my wife likes it. I get to drive MY TL!!!

When I think of luxury car lines, I think about Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Volvo and BMW... sort of.

Anybody drove the new Mercedes C class? I got thing invitation from the local dealer and what a piece of sh*t. The interior is so cheap and plasticky and the car didn't really feel solid at all.
Old 03-05-2001, 02:38 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by John00TL:
I don't know about all of you, but I owned no less than 2 BMWs (323 and 530) and my other car is a Lexus ES300.
I personally would not call BMW a luxury car! Even the 5 series I had a very spartan interior, was noisy and creaky. I drove the 528i when comparison shopping right before I got the TL and was mildly disappointed that not much has changed. Still was not very attractive, the seats were OK at best, hard leather and the car felt heavy.
TL really blew it away. Light on its feet, brisk handling that appears to trade a bit of feel (compared to BMW) for a lot more smoothness - which I personally like.

As for ES300 - it's nice, it's quiet... and my wife likes it. I get to drive MY TL!!!

When I think of luxury car lines, I think about Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Volvo and BMW... sort of.

Anybody drove the new Mercedes C class? I got thing invitation from the local dealer and what a piece of sh*t. The interior is so cheap and plasticky and the car didn't really feel solid at all.
Hmmmmmm.

Old 03-05-2001, 09:36 AM
Banned

Exclamation

I have to agree with the name UNrecognition of the Acura but than I'd have to also agree with the TL being a car that rivals MB and the likes...
For a presidents day weekend I went to Germany and rented a MB E-class for 3 days, the car had 100 miles on it when I got it, brand spanking new, and I drove it for over 400 miles... the car is nice and has a very roomy interior compared to the TL and my next car will probably be a MB, but...
When I got back to my TL it felt as luxury and comfortable as a MB and actually handled better than the MB...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-05-2001, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
All I can say, is that I can afford a TL, and could also afford a Lexus,BMW if I really wanted, but why? I think the Tl is great. Also, the price is right. BTW, what is wrong with the TL seats, I think they are very nice, and I agree that the interior keeps you smiling.
Old 03-05-2001, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't like the seat on TL. The lumbar support is not there. BMW seats are firmer and cradles the body much better.

One thing I also hate about the TL is the driving position is too low. My wife is about 5-9' with very long legs. She does not have enough leg room. If she move the seas all the way back, the rear seats become too cramped. In fact, typical honda cars sits way too low.

As far as quality goes, I had numerous problem with both Honda and Acura. TL is a great value for $30k. But i would not said its a great car. My car since day one had many annoying problems, although minor.

In addition, TL's steering has too much boost. The stock tire is really poor.

The reason that I switched to BMW, is because I like its handling. Yes, I do know that BMW depreciate like crazy, and afer few years problems can be found everywhere. But I just don't care. I want a car that handles great with great seats to go with it.

If I really want a big name, I could have easily bought a E-class instead, which is by far more popular in the asian communities.

But why do I want a boat when I can have an ultimate driving machine.

Put it this way, owning a BMW is like being on drugs. It gives you pleasure, but on the other hand it slowing kills you with cost of ownership. I know that. But there are only a fix number of car that you can own in a given life time. If you can afford it, why not.

I know a lot of people buy MB/BMW for the name only, but there are people out there that also know what they are getting into.
Old 03-05-2001, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Could this all have a relationship to when Sohiro (?) Honda passed away? It seems he had a vision with Honda/Acura back then. Remember "Precision Crafted Performance"? Now that he has gone, it seems the the bean counting Accountants have a different vision in mind. And it is hindering the creative engineers that once where employed at Honda. Don't gt me wrong, Acura is producing some great cars, just they could do better.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Angry

TL comfort is crap. Lexus seats are so much nicer. The type -S seats are nice, but when I got my 2001TL I didn't know that a TL-S was coming and I didn't know how disapointed I would be in the front seats of the car. I may just dump my TL I'm so mad about the seats. I went back to Lexus to sit in the ES and the IS, and what a difference. I love the rest of the TL but those seats have to go. I can't do anything with mine because of the side airbags.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by macfarlj on March 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Banned

I agree that MB, BMW, Audi and the like may have more name recognition and such, but you defintely pay for it. Looking back, I don't think Acura did even a fraction of the advertising that the other luxury giants did (maybe not until now). Someone has to pay for that advertising (i.e you and me). I am completely pleased with my TL thus far. I bought the car because I wanted some luxury and reliabilty, not so I could have people look at the emblem on the hood. By the way, I agree with Gomez. When people see the outside of my TL, they like it enough, but when they get inside -- that is when they really start smilin'.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Polyman on March 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-06-2001, 02:15 AM

The reason that I switched to BMW, is because I like its handling. Yes, I do know that BMW depreciate like crazy, and afer few years problems can be found everywhere. But I just don't care. I want a car that handles great with great seats to go with it.
Coming from driving a BMW, I would say that the handling edge of the BMW is simply not needed on the street.
I've attended (during my less mature days ) BMW Club events in my 5 series and I would agree that on the track few can compare even though I'm not a good track driver, but on the street I find that benign handling is more safe and predictable.
Old 03-06-2001, 07:23 AM
Banned

Arrow

Originally posted by chiawei:
...I know a lot of people buy MB/BMW for the name only, but there are people out there that also know what they are getting into.
It's not only the name issue but the quality and performance that come with it... proven quality and proven performance

------------------
Just my 2 cents...