updated stereo evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007 | 07:57 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

updated stereo evaluation

I have been completely satisfied with my stereo. the sound ranges have been just phenomenal. I guess my main emphasis is the high notes through the tweeters. Then my daughter comes along with her rap and bass oriented cd's to give the syster her test. The RL didn't pass. I might add in her car, 2000 TL, that she's given up her trunk to have this gigantic subwoofer and the amplifier to go with it. Her stereo really rocks...but her car has no high note quality.

It was painfull for me to hear the distortion of the RL speakers with a volume of even 20. If I do get into rap, I will definately have to change out the speakers.

Back to my music and the system sounds great and I am very happy....and my daughter is much happier back in her ride and her music.
Old 10-13-2007 | 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
I have been completely satisfied with my stereo. the sound ranges have been just phenomenal. I guess my main emphasis is the high notes through the tweeters. Then my daughter comes along with her rap and bass oriented cd's to give the syster her test. The RL didn't pass. I might add in her car, 2000 TL, that she's given up her trunk to have this gigantic subwoofer and the amplifier to go with it. Her stereo really rocks...but her car has no high note quality.

It was painfull for me to hear the distortion of the RL speakers with a volume of even 20. If I do get into rap, I will definately have to change out the speakers.

Back to my music and the system sounds great and I am very happy....and my daughter is much happier back in her ride and her music.
Did you adjust the sub-woofer setting in the Audio setup?

Bose systems aren't generally known for good highs and lows. I like the ELS system in the TL better.
Old 10-13-2007 | 08:17 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

i didn't have to, my daughter took over....set subwoofer to 100%, bass 100%, treble 0%.

I was out of my comfort zone. Couldn't wait to get back to my settings.
Old 10-13-2007 | 08:46 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

i didn't have to, my daughter took over....set subwoofer to 100%, bass 100%, treble 0%.

I was out of my comfort zone. Couldn't wait to get back to my settings.
That explains why my blinds were rattling again.

I think our generations have very different definitions of music. The reason she may not hear enough highs or lows in the RL's Bose may be she no longer has that range of hearing!

Beethoven was deaf, and he did fine without richter scale bass!
Old 10-14-2007 | 01:46 AM
Instructor

Setting the sub and bass to 100% would distort most any system that I can think of.
Old 10-14-2007 | 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gdevine
Setting the sub and bass to 100% would distort most any system that I can think of.
Though the RL does lack somewhat in the lower notes, In my opinion, the RL could benefit from better lows, especially since many of the low notes from a piano cannot be felt like they were meant to in some classical music and some other newer music. I wonder if the JL8w3v2 would fit, it fits in the TL's deck and that is pretty shallow. Anyone care to give dimensions of the RL's sub?
Old 10-14-2007 | 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

The audio system in the RL is medioce at best; but it's ok for a factory installed system. Because of the integration of NAV and climate controls there's really no way to replace the factory system. On the other hand, the system can be significantly enhanced with replacement of the factory speakers. The main challenge when replacing the speakers is to undo all the frequency processing of the Bose design. Bose takes cheap paper cones and then boosts and decreases specific fequencies to make the speakers sound respectible. if you simply swap in good aftermarket speakers, the aftermarket speakers will sound shrill and harsh due to the previous overprocessing of the Bose design.
One possible solution I am considering is this module made by Alpine - Look here: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=D . This module claims to undo all the frequency processing of a factory system. From the Alpine, you would install aftermarket amps, bypassing the Bose amp located in the right corner of the trunk behind the fabric panel.
I will be replacing the speakers in my RL probably with the Polk Momo 6.5" components that I took out of my TL. Not sure what sub solution I will go with. I dont want to give up as much trunk space as I did in my TL so I will either go with a single 12" solobaric enclosure or some sort of free air under the back shelf. I am interested in hearing from anyone else that has done audio mods on the RL. Unfortunately with so few RLs sold, there are even less people that have been tinkering with the audio.
Old 10-14-2007 | 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2007AcuraRL
The audio system in the RL is medioce at best; but it's ok for a factory installed system. Because of the integration of NAV and climate controls there's really no way to replace the factory system. On the other hand, the system can be significantly enhanced with replacement of the factory speakers. The main challenge when replacing the speakers is to undo all the frequency processing of the Bose design. Bose takes cheap paper cones and then boosts and decreases specific fequencies to make the speakers sound respectible. if you simply swap in good aftermarket speakers, the aftermarket speakers will sound shrill and harsh due to the previous overprocessing of the Bose design.
One possible solution I am considering is this module made by Alpine - Look here: http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=D . This module claims to undo all the frequency processing of a factory system. From the Alpine, you would install aftermarket amps, bypassing the Bose amp located in the right corner of the trunk behind the fabric panel.
I will be replacing the speakers in my RL probably with the Polk Momo 6.5" components that I took out of my TL. Not sure what sub solution I will go with. I dont want to give up as much trunk space as I did in my TL so I will either go with a single 12" solobaric enclosure or some sort of free air under the back shelf. I am interested in hearing from anyone else that has done audio mods on the RL. Unfortunately with so few RLs sold, there are even less people that have been tinkering with the audio.

IN all honesty, getting a signal before the AMP is just asking for more work. I would just get the signal after the AMP, send it to a 3sixty.2 or the product you listed, and have it tuned by a pro, then to amps, then to speakers. That setup would give optimal signal as hooking up a line driver to the signal from the HU would be asking for distortion. Like I said before, can someone post the measurements for the rl's sub, the JL8w3v2 might fit.
Old 10-14-2007 | 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
IN all honesty, getting a signal before the AMP is just asking for more work. I would just get the signal after the AMP, send it to a 3sixty.2 or the product you listed, and have it tuned by a pro, then to amps, then to speakers. That setup would give optimal signal as hooking up a line driver to the signal from the HU would be asking for distortion. Like I said before, can someone post the measurements for the rl's sub, the JL8w3v2 might fit.
I was a PRO installer for over 15 years. The signals will be much better taken from the head than after it comes out of that Bose amp --- but do it as you see fit.
Old 10-15-2007 | 12:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

If I do get into rap, I will definately have to change out the speakers.
If I thought I were going to get into rap, I think I would just blow my brains out.

Old 10-16-2007 | 09:32 PM
White and Nerdy

I took my RL in for the B16 service and got an RDX as a loaner. I was quite impressed with the RDX's audio, when I could hear it above the road noise (which oddly seemed to come from the side of the vehicle windows rather than the motor or the wheels), and noted that it seeme more tuned to rock/rap lower ranges of music. It was not as nice in terms of richness (pitch and tone were not quite as good as in the RL, and surround sound didn't seem as sharp), but handled the bass a bit better than the RL's system.

So if you want to drive slow to show off to the homies and rock the 'hood, I would recommend the RDX!!!

But if you want to drive down the highway fast and still be able to hear the music without it sounding like you are in a windstorm, I would still go with the RL!!!

Liked the RDX, BTW, but that wind noise would be a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, nice little SUV that handles very well for its size.
Old 10-16-2007 | 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
I took my RL in for the B16 service and got an RDX as a loaner. I was quite impressed with the RDX's audio, when I could hear it above the road noise (which oddly seemed to come from the side of the vehicle windows rather than the motor or the wheels), and noted that it seeme more tuned to rock/rap lower ranges of music. It was not as nice in terms of richness (pitch and tone were not quite as good as in the RL, and surround sound didn't seem as sharp), but handled the bass a bit better than the RL's system.

So if you want to drive slow to show off to the homies and rock the 'hood, I would recommend the RDX!!!

But if you want to drive down the highway fast and still be able to hear the music without it sounding like you are in a windstorm, I would still go with the RL!!!

Liked the RDX, BTW, but that wind noise would be a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, nice little SUV that handles very well for its size.
The RDX, TL, MDX have the ELS system that has better lower notes, but less clarity unless it is in 5.1 formats. The RL system by Bose is tuned for the more refined music such as classical where higher notes play a bigger role. I aagree that the RDX is a nice sporty car, but it lacks in terms of what acura could have done, no memory seats, the interior has a bit of plastic on the dash, the controls are laid out in a untidy manner. In my opinion, acura concentrated too much on the motors perfection and just finished the interior like a High school student doing his science project the day before its due, it works well, but is not as good as it could have been.
Old 10-17-2007 | 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone got a software mod for the audio system to automatically Mute if rap is the source?
Old 10-17-2007 | 08:10 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by db22
Has anyone got a software mod for the audio system to automatically Mute if rap is the source?

A gun.

Old 10-17-2007 | 10:15 AM
White and Nerdy

I think if I was 10-15 years younger I would actually kind of like design and layout of the RDX interior in a sort of Darth Vaderish kind of way (definately needs to be black though, otherwise the effect is lost), although I do agree that it could use an upgrade in terms of the plastics used, as well as having one or two less different textures/types of plastic. I personally hate the plastic that has "cross hatching" on it, like on the dash. My dads CTS has this, dust gathers in it easier and its a pain to clean, as the dirt gets into the little squares and is more difficult to clean out.

I was impressed with the storage space. There is enough storage in the middle console between the seats to store a briefcase, computer, and maybe even a small in law!!!
Old 10-17-2007 | 04:09 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by gdevine
x2. I don't think that gives you an accurate representation of the system's abilities. It's just not a natural setting.
Old 11-07-2007 | 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

You know what they say, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!"
Old 11-11-2007 | 12:42 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Jeez. I have an RDX and think the the E/L/S stereo sounds like garbage.

I hope the RL's sounds better.
Old 11-11-2007 | 10:03 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It tends to be a matter of taste.

I am driving an MDX this weekend, and formerly owned a TL. The ELS systems does seem to have more bass and depth, and it tends to carry better over the ambient noise those vehicles have (I found the RDX very noisey). The RL system may not apeal to bass thumpers, but the serenity of the cabin allows for a more refined mid and high range sound, and I think the Bose systems does that better. I tend not to crank the Bose system to appreciate the clairity, where as the ELS system does carry well at higher volumes while competing with car noise.
Old 11-12-2007 | 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rexorg
You know what they say, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!"
That was a consensus before Acura was even invented. As seen on this forum, you will have to go a long way to beat the system in the RL. Bose have a great in-car system too but I think that it is only available in a Ferrari.
Old 11-12-2007 | 12:23 PM
Safety Car

I believe the only Bose barnding is on the sub grill on the back deck. When Bose began designing car audio there name was everywhere. Have they lost out to true audiophile designers (Mark Levinson, Elliot S., Nakamichi)?