Why was Celestial Silver dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why was Celestial Silver dropped?

I see that the 2007 RL has a new shade of siliver, Platinum Frost.

2005 and 2006 had Celestial Silver as an option, but that's gone.

I'm curious if anyone knows why they switched. Celestial Silver was the color used in almost all the print and television advertising.

Is it because Celestial Silver chipped so easily?

Even with two coats of clear, my 2005 Celestial Silver RL is about 20 months old and has about two dozen rock chips in the hood. I have about 24,000 miles on it and keep a good coat of wax on the paint.

My experience with other Acuras and Hondas I have owned is that they were significantly more chip resistant.

Just curious.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalRL
I see that the 2007 RL has a new shade of siliver, Platinum Frost.

2005 and 2006 had Celestial Silver as an option, but that's gone.

I'm curious if anyone knows why they switched. Celestial Silver was the color used in almost all the print and television advertising.

Is it because Celestial Silver chipped so easily?

Even with two coats of clear, my 2005 Celestial Silver RL is about 20 months old and has about two dozen rock chips in the hood. I have about 24,000 miles on it and keep a good coat of wax on the paint.

My experience with other Acuras and Hondas I have owned is that they were significantly more chip resistant.

Just curious.

Apparently, it was just not a popular color. Our RL is CS and I think it is one of rhe best colors for an RL. As for the paint chips, we only have one on the RL, but I do have a clear bra installed. You think the RL is bad for chips, the TSX is MUCH worse. Needless to say, I have a clear bra on it as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It's one of those colors that's hard to read. In certain light it looks yellowish (hence the "celestial" moniker), in others it's a nonreflective silver. It's not a bright silver. I don't know whether it was popular or not but it was my second choice of color for the RL (first was meteor silver w/ebony, yummm....)....yet I've grown on it and like it.

The Taupe interior is absolutely gorgeous, I'm glad I got that.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen the numbers, but I'm surprised that the Acura name for this light of silver- celestial silver- wasn't a big seller. The lighter shade of silver is THE and has been THE most popular color in the US for cars for years. It's the warm in the winter, cool in the summer color. It also hides scratches and dirt best.

I saw the 2007 light silver color- platinum frost- at my dealer and it appeared to be very similar to the 2005/2006 color it replaced. I didn't have the benefit of seeing the 2 colors side by side.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had paint chip problems. The marketing on the way they paint the RL makes it sound like it's done the way that the most expensive autos are done. My main disappointment with my TL is paint chips. Perhaps this paint chip probelm is prevalent among most Hondas/Acuras? I'm happy to tell everyone that my 2005 aspen pearl white MDX is paint chip free.

What say you......you other Celestial Silver car owners? Have you had paint chip problems? Platinum Frost is at the top of my list for colors when my TL lease runs out this spring.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Racer

I have a CS and enjoy it. I will admit it is not an exciting color but is easy to care for and thus more enjoyable to own. My wifes 05 MDX is black and it drive me crazy to see all the paint defects, but chipping is not an issue with that car.. Although it is very nice to look at ( at a distance) never again for black. My daughter has a white Volvo S40 T5 and it is also easy to care for.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Celestial Silver was my first choice for the RL. It is actually quite bright on the car, hides dirt fairly well, and it low key amongst all the other silver cars on the road. Looking back, my 88 Legend Coupe and 76 Accord were Silver, and I've always liked that color on a fine machine.

My second choice was going to be the Pearl white, but my wife thought it was a little too, um, feminine (I think it looks great). Her first choice was the dark blue which I wanted no part of trying to keep clean.

At the car show, I saw a silver RL with a shark fin and I thought it was a leftover 2006, but it turned out to be a 2007 base car with the new silver. After a closer inspection, I'd say the new silver has finer grain sparkles (pearlescence?) and is a touch darker than the outgoing silver. I think the trend in luxury cars is heading towards finer grain pearl coats versus a straight metallic finish.

Rob144
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
What say you......you other Celestial Silver car owners? Have you had paint chip problems? Platinum Frost is at the top of my list for colors when my TL lease runs out this spring.
After 7 months and 6,000 miles I do not have a single chip in my CS that I can find. The first car that I can remember that has not had any within the first six months. I hope that my luck holds but so far I am impressed with the paint.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My past 8 cars have been Black, so I can't help anyone.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Thanks for your responses.

I have tried to touch up the chips with the factory paint (in the little bottle) but the results have been unacceptable.

Recently I ordered touch up paint in a pen-type applicator. When I tried it on one large chip on my fender (yes, chips on both fenders too) it was an exact match. They claim to use factory paint.

The weather has been poor in Northern California, so I haven't taken the time to try and touch up the hood chips.

I'll let you know the results of this experiment once I touch up the hood.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
5Zigen Acura RL

I have one noticeable chip on my hood, I'm interested to hear your results.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably just wanted a change. I heard the reason why Acura used this blue for the MDX back in 04 was because they had some 'extra' paint laying around so they used it up on that (it was a 6 month only color). Maybe they got a good deal on Platinum Frost or something.