Jerky Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jerky Transmission

The automatic transmission of my 05 RL seems to be very jerky; the shifting between gears (up and down) is more of a lurch than a smooth transition. It isn't just when it's cold; it's pretty constant.

Anyone else having this issue? Any known problems?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Cool

how many miles ? How long have you had it ? Did they (Acura) check the differential fluid levels before releasing it to you ?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:28 PM
office monkey

sounds like something is messed up because my RL has very smooth shifting
Old 05-04-2005, 08:09 PM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the same issue since I took delivery since October. I was the one that had the rear diffrential completely replaced but I still have the jerkiness problem. Additionally at times I hear a grinding noise when slowing down (upon a cold start) from approx 30 mps to 0. It as almost the transmission is slipping. It does not happen all the time but very intermittant.
The following users liked this post:
stevenchisholm47 (07-16-2024)
Old 05-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtrose
Additionally at times I hear a grinding noise when slowing down (upon a cold start) from approx 30 mps to 0. It as almost the transmission is slipping. It does not happen all the time but very intermittant.

Acura released a fix for this a few months ago.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Racer

My has this jerky sensation, but I think it is normal for the RL (at least in my case). My wife absolutely hated it. It also depends on what other cars you compare the RL to. My wife's car is a Lexus which is so silky smooth. I actually like the quick acceleration sensation of the RL. I am not sure if I was talking about the same thing as what you were referring to.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtecracer
If your referring to the four part update, it didn't work for me.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by vtecracer
Do you mean this???

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...12&postcount=6
Old 05-05-2005, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks

I'm interested in other owner experience/feedback. Thanks to those who posted; I have some start on what to ask the dealer.

I don't think--might be wrong--that this problem is the one Acura had the fix for, but will check. Sounds more like differential problem?

Other ideas appreciated.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:48 AM
8th Gear

jerky transmission

after getting a rental TL with an automatic the other day, and then returning to my 05 RL, i did notice a very pronounced difference in the smoothness of the shifts. when asking for acceleration, more often than not, the car waits pretty long for a downshift and then lurches out. so, one more time, back to the dealer it goes (still trying to get the SH-AWD and VSA messages to stop coming back!)...
Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

That was a common complaint with the Auto 2001 Acura CL Type S ! Everyone complainted about the "hesitation" between downshifting.......then this SURGE forward.......they said is was the nature of the tranny......which in the long run they had tons of tranny failures !
Old 05-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
That was a common complaint with the Auto 2001 Acura CL Type S ! Everyone complainted about the "hesitation" between downshifting.......then this SURGE forward.......they said is was the nature of the tranny......which in the long run they had tons of tranny failures !
Are you saying RL tranny would fail as 2GTL/CL did in the long run due to these signs???
Old 05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

No, I didn't say it had anything to do with failure, just the characteristics of the tranny (annoying hesitation)........

I'm certain Honda Corporation has corrected their "weak link" in the previous transmissions ! I can't even tell you the vast number of transmission failures and what it is costing HONDA corporation........
Old 05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I assume RL's tranny is totally different to 2GTL/CL's tranny, isn't it? I don't expect all other Acura models' trannies will have the similar week links. Let's hope it wouldn't happen.

I know tons of failure on 2GTL/CL have brought up lots of discredit and diffidence, and tainted the reputations. But, at least, my 94Legend has terrific tranny since 1994.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

I have the same BIG jerky problem with 05 RL leased in last month, April 05. I was blamed for filling a "Wrong Gas" regular not premium but I reported the problem to the dealer within the first week, which was supposed to be filled premium by the dealer. In those days, I am filling the premium and still have the same problem. The computer on car looks making the jerky problem which causes about TWO SECOND DELAY for the car to speed up anywhere from 30 mph or above. Therefore, it hesitates, jerks, lurch, etc. They keep saying that is the nature or charater of the car. The bottom line is they have no idea how to fix the problem. The dealership can't help me and the HQ refuses to help me. The case is on my attorney's hands now.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Tsong:
I hope you have DEEP DEEP pockets to challenge Honda Corporate attorneys !
Good luck !
Old 05-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tsong
I have the same BIG jerky problem with 05 RL leased in last month, April 05. I was blamed for filling a "Wrong Gas" regular not premium but I reported the problem to the dealer within the first week, which was supposed to be filled premium by the dealer. In those days, I am filling the premium and still have the same problem. The computer on car looks making the jerky problem which causes about TWO SECOND DELAY for the car to speed up anywhere from 30 mph or above. Therefore, it hesitates, jerks, lurch, etc. They keep saying that is the nature or charater of the car. The bottom line is they have no idea how to fix the problem. The dealership can't help me and the HQ refuses to help me. The case is on my attorney's hands now.
Mine shifts beautifully without any issues. Good luck in getting it resolved.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Instructor

Acura RL owners who experience jerky shifts should complain, demand repair, or if necessary, sue. My RL's shifts are like silk (as are those of my friends' new RL). If our and others' RLs can shift with such exemplary smoothness, surely every RL should demand the same performance—especially for the car's going price!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DCRL
Acura RL owners who experience jerky shifts should complain, demand repair, or if necessary, sue. My RL's shifts are like silk (as are those of my friends' new RL). If our and others' RLs can shift with such exemplary smoothness, surely every RL should demand the same performance—especially for the car's going price!
I AGREE.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
I too find the shifting in my RL to be absolutely silky smooth. I believe the problem you are experiencing is related to driving aggressively with the the shift lever in the "D" position. In this position, the transmission will upshift all the way to 5th gear at any speed above 40mph. So, when you take a corner agressively at 45 or 50 mph (something that is easy to do with the RL's great handling), then pound on the accelerator coming off the apex, your car is in 5th gear and has to downshift to 2nd or 3rd before accelerating that aggressively. This causes a slight delay and slight jerk when it finally kicks into gear and pulls strongly out of the corner. The solution is, if you are an aggressive driver, either use the paddle shifters and have a blast, or, if you prefer the automatic mode, select the D3 setting for your aggressive driving and the transmission will upshift no higher than 3rd gear thus avoiding the "jerkiness" that you describe. When you are not driving aggressively, select the "D" position and you will get the better mileage and smooth quiet ride associated with using all 5 gears.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
I too find the shifting in my RL to be absolutely silky smooth. I believe the problem you are experiencing is related to driving aggressively with the the shift lever in the "D" position. In this position, the transmission will upshift all the way to 5th gear at any speed above 40mph. So, when you take a corner agressively at 45 or 50 mph (something that is easy to do with the RL's great handling), then pound on the accelerator coming off the apex, your car is in 5th gear and has to downshift to 2nd or 3rd before accelerating that aggressively. This causes a slight delay and slight jerk when it finally kicks into gear and pulls strongly out of the corner. The solution is, if you are an aggressive driver, either use the paddle shifters and have a blast, or, if you prefer the automatic mode, select the D3 setting for your aggressive driving and the transmission will upshift no higher than 3rd gear thus avoiding the "jerkiness" that you describe. When you are not driving aggressively, select the "D" position and you will get the better mileage and smooth quiet ride associated with using all 5 gears.

Exellent advice Hondamore. I have an Oct. 04 RL and the transmission is like butter in terms of smoothness and quietness. I think you define what many encounter in the downshifting that goes with strong accleration in the auto mode. That's not to say that some don't have some problem unique to their vehicle, but the tranny in the RL is generally wonderful. I too have taken to paddling or manual shifting when agressive driving is either desired or necessary as the engine is much more responsive. I'll try the D3 alternative too as that makes sense and I hadn't thought of that approach.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Racer

The delay in shifting is especially pronounced when the car is just started for the first time during the day (It is not necessarily a cold day). It is more than a second long in delay. So if I don't remember to wait before shifting into D, a loud and rough shift would happen. It is worst when I step onto the gas pedal immediately aftering shifting.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
DCD
Advanced

Smooth here. The only thing that resembles a jerk is when I lay of the throttle and start to coast to a stop...and the transmission downshifts automatically. And I love this feature...if I decide to lay back into the throttle, it's already in the correct gear.