Annoying water drainage after driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying water drainage after driving in the rain

Does anyone else get substantial streams of water draining from both rear wheel wells after driving in the rain? I am sick of having streams and puddles in my garage after driving in the wet. It's really annoying.
Chuck
Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
huh?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've only had it out in the rain twice, a couple of weeks ago (didn't notice any water drainiage issue) and today (it's raining now) so I guess I'll see what happens when I get home.

One thing I did notice is that the aerodynamics of the RL seem to be perfect for getting it as dirty as possible when driving in the rain though.

LL
Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chuck?

I'm not sure what car doesn't leave water on the garage floor after you drive it in the rain.

I guess you need to elaborate on what "substantial" water is
Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RL RT Joe
Chuck?

I'm not sure what car doesn't leave water on the garage floor after you drive it in the rain.

I guess you need to elaborate on what "substantial" water is
That was my point. Don't the tires leave wet tracks when you pull in? Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand the expectation.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:33 PM
5Zigen Acura RL

I haven't noticed myself. We've had plenty of rain here the last few weeks. I may pay closer attention to it now though.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Will check today.. wife drove the RL and me the LS. Both will go in the garage after the rain.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
The only thought I have is that perhaps you don't have the rubber grommet "plugs" in your rear frame rails. You know, the ones associated with the wind noise issue reported in other threads. (If still in the dark, do a search.)

If not plugged, I could see how extra water could conceiveably get in there and later drain out on your garage floor.

Otherwise, I'm with the others - no more water drains out of the RL than any other car I've had.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Instructor

I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes I don't drive the RL for three days after a rain. There have been puddles in the garage that fill up and run into other parts of the garage. My other cars did not drain that much water or for that long.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Of course when you drive a car in the rain and pull it into a dry garage there will be some water on the floor. Yes it leaves wet tracks where I drove it into the garage. This is different.

I'm talking about what would resemble taking a gallon of water and dumping it at the rear wheels. I have boxes in my garage that have been in the same spot for years and never got wet with my Audi, even with snow caked all over the car that melted. These same boxes, in the same spot, are now drenched and ruined due to the amount of water draining from this car after driving in the rain. It's ridiculous. Next time I drive it in the rain and park it I'll take a picture.

Between these stupid little annoyances and the continuing electrical gremlins I have just about had it with this car after 2 months of owning it.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Haven't noticed that problem at all over 2 years of ownership and some heavy downpours. I think Mike_TX could be on to something, have you spoken with your dealership about this issue? btw, what sort of "electrical gremlins" have you encountered? just curious.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Electrical gremlins:
LED on passenger door handle wouldn't go off for a week
NAV screen randomly cuts out....this seems to have stopped though
Passenger door window controls inop
Passenger door lock controls inop
Seat/mirror/steering wheel memory intermittent
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by clangjr
Electrical gremlins:
LED on passenger door handle wouldn't go off for a week
NAV screen randomly cuts out....this seems to have stopped though
Passenger door window controls inop
Passenger door lock controls inop
Seat/mirror/steering wheel memory intermittent
haven't had any problems with those in 2 years...
Old 01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Here's the picture showing the location of the grommet holes. Squat down and check to see if yours are installed, especially the rears.

We have had some pretty heavy rains here lately, and I really don't see any more drainage from my RL than with any other car, so check this out.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clangjr
Of course when you drive a car in the rain and pull it into a dry garage there will be some water on the floor. Yes it leaves wet tracks where I drove it into the garage. This is different.

I'm talking about what would resemble taking a gallon of water and dumping it at the rear wheels. I have boxes in my garage that have been in the same spot for years and never got wet with my Audi, even with snow caked all over the car that melted. These same boxes, in the same spot, are now drenched and ruined due to the amount of water draining from this car after driving in the rain. It's ridiculous. Next time I drive it in the rain and park it I'll take a picture.

Between these stupid little annoyances and the continuing electrical gremlins I have just about had it with this car after 2 months of owning it.
I have also noticed the more than usual water from the rear wheel area after rains. Do you have the splash guards installed? I have it. I dont think this is a problem with your car,every car must be like this. some people notice it and could be also due to the profile of the garage floors some may not notice it this much.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I don't understand the problem. Every car I've owned drips water from the wheelwells. I don't notice anyhing strange about the RL in that regard. It's been raining most of the day here and I've been out in the car for most of it. Looked in the garage and saw the expected amount of water on the garage floor.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I don't understand the problem. Every car I've owned drips water from the wheelwells. I don't notice anyhing strange about the RL in that regard. It's been raining most of the day here and I've been out in the car for most of it. Looked in the garage and saw the expected amount of water on the garage floor.

I agree that I'd expect drips.
This is more like rivers. Like I haven't driven the car since Thursday morning (in the rain) and I still have two large puddles in the garage, one near each rear wheel.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tested this twice this weekend, and my wife called me stupid each time.

On Firday, both cars left puddles in the garage, but it seemed that the RL brought in a bit more. By Sunday morning, the RL still had a small puddle underneath, but had thought that this was due to the shape of our garage floor.

On Sunday, I decided to change the oil on all of the cars and replace the tires with the snows. I knew it was going to rain so I left the cars outside and pulled them in at the same time around 11PM in the midst of a torrential downpour. But this time, I switched places (the RL in the LS spot and vice versa).

Walked out this morning and there was more water under the LS this time.

Dunno, but I do feel a bit dumber this morning.. But it could be the scent of gas everywhere in Manhattan this morning