Remote start (key fob) not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 12:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Remote start (key fob) not working

Believe it or not, I've never been able to use the Remote Start feature that came with my 2017 RDX Advance. I brought the car in for regular maintenance service at the local Acura dealer and asked them to take a look at this issue. The service department confirmed the key fob's Remote Start function was not working. They said it could be the key fob and to try to source a replacement online. I brought in a replacement key fob, but that also failed to work. I've checked and confirmed the 'Remote Start' function is enabled on the car and that no other key fobs are nearby. I've followed the owner's manual step by step: press the lock button and then press and hold the 'Engine' button on the key fob. The light indicator goes from amber to green once the doors are locked. Then when I press/hold 'Engine' the key fob shows a red indicator light. Based on the manual, this means the "Remote is out of range or cannot communicate with the vehicle, or the engine is stopped." Has anyone had this issue? Any tips? Already replaced batteries and changed distances from the car.

RDX key fob with remote start

Last edited by msklut; 07-25-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msklut
Believe it or not, I've never been able to use the Remote Start feature that came with my 2017 RDX Advance. I brought the car in for regular maintenance service at the local Acura dealer and asked them to take a look at this issue. The service department confirmed the key fob's Remote Start function was not working. They said it could be the key fob and to try to source a replacement online. I brought in a replacement key fob, but that also failed to work. I've checked and confirmed the 'Remote Start' function is enabled on the car and that no other key fobs are nearby. I've followed the owner's manual step by step: press the lock button and then press and hold the 'Engine' button on the key fob. The light indicator goes from amber to green once the doors are locked. Then when I press/hold 'Engine' the key fob shows a red indicator light. Based on the manual, this means the "Remote is out of range or cannot communicate with the vehicle, or the engine is stopped." Has anyone had this issue? Any tips? Already replaced batteries and changed distances from the car.

RDX key fob with remote start
I have the exact same issue, first it started with my driver side door not closing properly and me have to lock and unlock for it to get the green light again. Haven’t been able to remote start my car since I started having this issue. I believe I need a new actuator, my battery also started draining at the same time…what a mess.
The following users liked this post:
msklut (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Did the service department reset or re-connect your key fob to your vehicle? I'm assuming they checked the obvious things like car battery, door locks and hood locks.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:23 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dtownfb
Did the service department reset or re-connect your key fob to your vehicle? I'm assuming they checked the obvious things like car battery, door locks and hood locks.
Yes, they did all the above. Maybe I'll need to have a diagnostic next time I go in...
Old 07-27-2022, 01:46 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Fortunately we haven't had this issue. Perhaps maybe a simple thing (and likely not the issue) but perhaps try replacing the battery in your fob(s)?? It's a short money diagnostic test.

I also found this on the interwebs -

"The 2017 Acura MDX' remote start will not work if its battery needs replaced. Remove the plastic key fob cover and pop out the 3 volt battery and replace with the same voltage. Another common cause of remote start malfunction, centers around the vehicle's system detecting one or more of the components needed to fire the engine are not in working order. Your car will not engage the remote start if the car is not in park or one of the doors or the hood or trunk are open. If the car's battery is undercharged or the "check engine" light is on, the system will be disabled. Low fuel levels and an unlocked vehicle can also cause this."

Even though it references an MDX, I believe the system is the same/similar, but seeing you had it at the dealer - I'm working under the impression all is good.

Another thing I found was that if there was another key fob in the car - the remote start will not work. Again, maybe obvious, but throwing it out there.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:51 PM

You may find this thread helpful - https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...edback-964027/
Old 07-29-2022, 09:13 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the link. I tried again this morning -- this time at my office (no other key fobs present). Put the car in park, made sure all the doors are shut and locked. Confirmed 'Remote Engine' function is enabled on the MID. No check engine lights on the dash. No other issues -- fuel tank is full, oil pressure and coolant temps are normal, etc. Followed the steps from the manual... I pressed 'Lock' and the amber indicator light on the key fob turned green once the car was locked. Within a second of the green indicator light, I pressed/held 'Engine' and the red indicator light appeared. I attempted this same process from 5 ft away to 50 ft away from the car. No difference.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:24 AM

Sorry you are still having issues. Perhaps others may be able to add their thoughts or experiences.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
altair47 (07-29-2022), msklut (07-29-2022)