DIY: How to Program the RDX Remote Key Fob

Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
DIY: How to Program the RDX Remote Key Fob

How to program a remote key fob for the Acura RDX (or just about any other Acura).
  1. Sit in the car with all doors closed and remotes in hand.
  2. Insert a key into the ignition and turn to ON (not start), then firmly press the lock button within 5 seconds.
  3. Turn key to ACC within 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 2-3 until you hear the door locks cycle (usually on the 4th time, but the doors will not lock). The system is now in programming mode.
  5. Press the lock button on each additional key within 5 seconds and you should hear the door locks cycle for each key.
  6. Remove the key from the ignition.
Your remotes should now be programmed. Step outside and test each remote.

I bought a used remote off eBay and was going to go the stealership to get this done but decided to do a quick Google search. This was taken from wikiHow, original instructions here.

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by InfamousJamous:
jabia (06-01-2023), Tomtwtwtw (02-25-2019)
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
How to program a remote key fob for the Acura RDX ...

I bought a used remote off eBay and was going to go the stealership to get this done but decided to do a quick Google search...

Cheers!
1. did the remote that you purchased from eBay have an actual key with it? if so how did you rekey the physical key, to fit your own car ignition? or do you just have the remote fob? a fob that can only OPEN the car but not START the car? because it has no ignition key?

2. a fob OPENS the car door, but the chip in the ignition key allows the key to START the car. I am assuming that this procedure reprograms a fob to OPEN the door, but does NOT reprogram the ignition key chip to allow the key to START the car. Correct?

So I am uncertain how useful this procedure it, if it cannot reprogram the chip in a key to allow the key to START the engine? so you have an extra fob to open the car door, but not START it? is that correct?

The method above is similar to that for my Chevy, but will only re-program the fob to open the door, not start the car.

I want a method to reprogram the IGNITION KEY CHIP, so that I can buy a spare key and reprogram it myself.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:47 AM

When I said key fob, I meant the remote which has the physical key. With a small phillips screwdriver I was able to switch out the blades. This programs the remote and transponder chip.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:58 AM

I can confirm that I'm able to successfully start my RDX with the remote I bought from eBay. What a deal it was too for under $10! I got lucky and jumped on a no reserve auction.

Sorry about the confusion, I shouldn't have mentioned the key fob.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 AM

To swap out the physical key blade:
  1. Remove bottom screw.
  2. Pull down and up on the bottom half with the buttons (it has a small hook to the underside of the top half).
  3. Remove the top portion (it has a hook on the left and right side and is held on by a small amount of glue). Carefully pry this portion off.
  4. Remove the 3 screws to detatch the blade hinge. Note how the spring is held in place.
  5. Swap the key blade.
  6. Reassembly is reverse of removal. Don't over-rotate the spring or it'll bend (I messed up one spring by giving it an extra revolution).
The following users liked this post:
Targa911 (06-26-2019)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
I can confirm that I'm able to successfully start my RDX with the remote I bought from eBay. What a deal it was too for under $10! I got lucky and jumped on a no reserve auction.

Sorry about the confusion, I shouldn't have mentioned the key fob.
I am probably not being very clear with my question: does the blade have a chip in/ on it, like my chevy? I cannot see inside the remote, to which the blade is attached. Using KEY and REMOTE interchangably is confusing me.

My Chevy REMOTE has an attached KEY, and the KEY has an embedded chip.

In other words, the Acura VALET KEY has no remote, but it does have a chip, which must be programmed to start the engine. The chip is embedded inside the handle. And there is no 'button' to press on the VALET KEY during the reprogram procedure that you have posted. Hence my questions:

1. how to program the VALET KEY
2. does the REMOTE/ KEY combo have a chip on the KEY or just inside the REMOTE?

Sorry, I do not wish to disassemble mine to look - and seems like you already did take yours apart.

Last edited by dcmodels; 11-19-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM

1. Not sure about programming a valet key as I don't have one.
2. The remote/key combo chip is not attached to the key blade itself.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
I am probably not being very clear with my question: does the blade have a chip in it....
I understand your question dc and you are correct.

The RDX key is divided into two parts:

1. The remote transmitter, which locks and unlocks the doors. This is a battery operated "clicker" which can be separated from the main body of the key.

2. The ignition immobilizer, which consists of the mechanical key blade and built-in transponder (chip) which is screwed into the main body of the key.

You can separate the remote transmitter and install another one, or add additional remote transmitters with entire keys, such as from E-Bay. Up to seven remote transmitters can be programmed, but they all have to be programmed at the same time. This only operates the door locks -- it is unrelated to the ignition immobilizer.

To make a replacement E-Bay key work in the ignition, you have to unscrew the blade/transponder unit from the key body and replace it with your existing (already programmed) blade/transponder unit -- which is what he did. That's why his E-Bay key works.

If you don't have the original blade/transponder, then all of the keys (original and replacement) must be re-registered through Honda, using the Honda Datalink System. This reprograms the immobilizer transponders to start the engine -- and is unrelated to the remote transmitter operation.

ps. yes, the valet key has a transponder and would have to be re-registered also.

Last edited by XLR8R; 11-20-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Yeah this only works with the remote.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key chip

Originally Posted by dcmodels
1. did the remote that you purchased from eBay have an actual key with it? if so how did you rekey the physical key, to fit your own car ignition? or do you just have the remote fob? a fob that can only OPEN the car but not START the car? because it has no ignition key?

2. a fob OPENS the car door, but the chip in the ignition key allows the key to START the car. I am assuming that this procedure reprograms a fob to OPEN the door, but does NOT reprogram the ignition key chip to allow the key to START the car. Correct?

So I am uncertain how useful this procedure it, if it cannot reprogram the chip in a key to allow the key to START the engine? so you have an extra fob to open the car door, but not START it? is that correct?

The method above is similar to that for my Chevy, but will only re-program the fob to open the door, not start the car.

I want a method to reprogram the IGNITION KEY CHIP, so that I can buy a spare key and reprogram it myself.
Chip
Old 06-01-2023, 11:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This topic is beautifully covered here: