Remote Engine Start with Vehicle Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Remote Engine Start with Vehicle Feedback

Why does this have to be rocket science? It works the very odd time; but most of the time it doesn't.
All well within fifty feet of the car.

Even the first part isn't clear. Do you press and hold both buttons at the same time or first the Lock button and then the Engine Hold button?

Old 11-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Simply push the lock button once briefly, and release. You should see the green light flash to confirm your doors are locked.

Then within a second of releasing the lock button press and hold the engine button until the yellow light flashes at least one time, and then release that button.

The yellow light may blink 5-6 times before the engine starts, and if the engine does start, the green light will come on momentarily. If the engine fails to start the red light will blink.

My remote works for at least 1/2 km over an open field. If you think your remote is not reaching far enough start the car, just try the lock and unlock buttons from the same location and make note if the lights flash. Both the remote start and door locks use the same antennas and radio transmitters and receivers.
The following users liked this post:
Tech (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Simply push the lock button once briefly, and release. You should see the green light flash to confirm your doors are locked.
As it always does when I want to confirm that my doors are locked.
Done!

Then within a second of releasing the lock button press and hold the engine button until the yellow light flashes at least one time, and then release that button.
Done!

The yellow light may blink 5-6 times before the engine starts, and if the engine does start, the green light will come on momentarily. If the engine fails to start the red light will blink.
Done! Amber LED flashes a few times and then the red LED flashes.

The thing is, I would get the amber LED to flash as the car goes through a pre-start check and it'll start. Then I can do all that the next time and most of the time, it'll just flash the red LED and not start.

That is high-tech for you.

Looking at the following, over what time period or conditions does the part I bolded apply?

The engine may not start by the remote engine start
if:
• You have disabled a remote engine start setting
using the multi-information display.
• The power mode is not in VEHICLE OFF (LOCK).
• The shift lever is in a position other than (P.
• The hood is open, or any door or the tailgate is
unlocked.
• You have already used the remote twice to start
the engine.

• Another registered keyless access remote is in the
vehicle.
• There is any antenna failure.
• Door is unlocked with the built-in key.
• The engine oil pressure is low.
• The engine coolant temperature is extremely high.
• The telematics unit malfunctions.
• The security system alarm is not set.

Last edited by Tech; 11-01-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Got it figured out.

the engine.

After you've started the car twice without getting into it and starting the engine to reset a state, it will not start remotely a third time.

Now I don not know if simply unlocking the doors and opening them does that or if you actually need to start the engine and shut it down to reset a state.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tech
Got it figured out.

the engine.

Yes, that happened to me when I was testing the procedure in preparation to answering your question. In my owner's manual it states that the remote start is limited to 2 consecutive runs. This information is immediately to the right of the image you had in your first post.

It didn't cross my mind that this was your trouble because I understood you to say that this problem occurred frequently.
The following users liked this post:
Tech (11-01-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

It didn't cross my mind that this was your trouble because I understood you to say that this problem occurred frequently.
In the almost six months of ownership since buying it new, I may have tried it a few times, got it started, but due to the two-start limitation saw that as so many "no-starts".

I would only use this feature in the winter to warm up the engine a couple of minutes before heading out the door.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I checked the Owner's Manual and nothing is mentioned about getting the headlights to turn on remotely when using the remote start function. Can that be done?

It is pitch black where I happen to start my car at times, as in out in the country, no moon and overcast.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:08 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
I checked the Owner's Manual and nothing is mentioned about getting the headlights to turn on remotely when using the remote start function. Can that be done?
Sure. Just leave your headlight switch in the 'Auto' position. When the engine starts the system will decide whether headlights are necessary and turn them on if needed.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Pro

I checked the Owner's Manual and nothing is mentioned about getting the headlights to turn on remotely when using the remote start function. Can that be done?.
I could not find any mention of this in the owners manual, but my experience is that the RDX starts in "stealth" mode to avoid drawing attention to an unattended running vehicle. In other words, no exterior lighting is activated (despite the fact I leave the headlight switch in the auto position), and no interior lighting such as the nav or entertainment screens, If I recall correctly, the only interior light is the Acura logo displayed on the MID.

Here is a LINK to the Acura webpage that pretty well confirms my personal experiences (read the last paragraph).

It should be noted that if someone did break into your remotely started RDX, they could not drive it away, but the stealth mode does elliminate the temptation for someone to break in and give it a try.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 11-26-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Sure. Just leave your headlight switch in the 'Auto' position. When the engine starts the system will decide whether headlights are necessary and turn them on if needed.

Cheers!
That is what I thought, so I tried that last week. It didn't work, probably because the vehicle is not in the ON mode.