2016 RDX engine question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 RDX engine question

is this a ED direct inject V6 same as TLX and MDX? or just a tweaked version of the 2013 - 2015 engine.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe its a slightly modified/improved version of the '13-'15 port injected 3.5
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
It's basically the same V6 as the Accord.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:52 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Technically it's not the exact same engine as the Accord. I have the '15 Accord Cpe. that I just bought. It has 278 hp at 6,200 rpm. The Acura has 279 at 6,200....but, does have (?) the Direct Injection (still verifying this. One piece of info.from Acura says it is??) ..the Accord does not. Honda does say that the '15 Accord V6 has the multi point fuel delivery system. Acura, in most all info. they put out...nothing is said one way or another on the type of fuel delivery.

My dealer sent me one piece of an Acura division info sheet that says it's a "3.5 V6 Direct Injection fuel system. Still to be verified by me though. Torque is the same at 252 lb-ft @ 4900 rpms.

Bottom line they are almost identical.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
It's not Direct Injection, it is multi-port injection. The engine is the updated V6 from the Accord. It has the newest version of Variable Cylinder Management that works on 3-6 cylinders vice 3-4-6. Supposedly smoother VCM operation. The updated engine has a broader power curve for slightly better performance and slightly better FE.

"The 2016 RDX gets an important performance boost courtesy of its new 3.5-liter SOHC i-VTEC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) cylinder deactivation technology. Peak horsepower and torque output are up to 279 (+6 hp) and 252 lb.-ft. (+1 lb.-ft.), respectively, while sporting a broader torque curve for more immediate and powerful acceleration response—right where it counts. Variable Cylinder Management™ allows for deactivation of three of the engine's six cylinders under light engine loads, helping the more powerful 2016 RDX increase its highway EPA fuel-economy ratings by 1 mpg, rising to 19/28mpg for AWD models and 20/29mpg for FWD models (city/highway).1 Driving refinement is further enhanced by new active front and rear engine mounts,"
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
Comfy (04-28-2015), hand-filer (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It's not Direct Injection, it is multi-port injection. The engine is the updated V6 from the Accord. It has the newest version of Variable Cylinder Management that works on 3-6 cylinders vice 3-4-6. Supposedly smoother VCM operation. The updated engine has a broader power curve for slightly better performance and slightly better FE.

"The 2016 RDX gets an important performance boost courtesy of its new 3.5-liter SOHC i-VTEC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) cylinder deactivation technology. Peak horsepower and torque output are up to 279 (+6 hp) and 252 lb.-ft. (+1 lb.-ft.), respectively, while sporting a broader torque curve for more immediate and powerful acceleration response—right where it counts. Variable Cylinder Management™ allows for deactivation of three of the engine's six cylinders under light engine loads, helping the more powerful 2016 RDX increase its highway EPA fuel-economy ratings by 1 mpg, rising to 19/28mpg for AWD models and 20/29mpg for FWD models (city/highway).1 Driving refinement is further enhanced by new active front and rear engine mounts,"

Yes, all that info. is readily available and I've read it many times from Acuranews.com...and other's have copied it also.

The only piece I have is an Acura document that stated it was a "direct injection" fuel system....but, I don't believe it is either. Just repeated what was on their document.

Why the horsepower number is different by 1 hp is strange. I guess, separating the Honda from the Acura! LOL!!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Yes, all that info. is readily available and I've read it many times from Acuranews.com...and other's have copied it also.

The only piece I have is an Acura document that stated it was a "direct injection" fuel system....but, I don't believe it is either. Just repeated what was on their document.

Why the horsepower number is different by 1 hp is strange. I guess, separating the Honda from the Acura! LOL!!
The Acura badge adds 1 hp
Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The Acura badge adds 1 hp

The Acura RLX has a "direct injection" engine with 310 hp, and the TLX has a "di" engine also with 290 hp. Most of us know that the direct fuel injection system is more efficient and does give more hp depending how the computer is mapped.

Wish they would have put the di engine in the RDX. They even use Di on the ILX 4 cyl. The RDX got left out.

All Honda Motor Corp. V6's are very similar..just set up and tuned differently.

My '13 RDX has always been great..good power...actually very quick when you want it to be! But, I'd like to have seen more than a 6 hp increase for the '16. The TLX engine would have been good!!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So if the engine is that similar to the Accord, can regular unleaded fuel be used?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by nut854
So if the engine is that similar to the Accord, can regular unleaded fuel be used?

Well, this "fuel to use?" question has been battered around for some time now in many posts.

My thoughts are this. They can run on 87 plus, but, their peak hp is with prem. The computers can adjust for the 87 plus. But, for me I go with premium in my RDX, even though I know I don't have to necessarily, but, that's my choice. Have a new '15 Accord Cpe V6 with 350 miles on it. Only put in a tank and a half so far of my fuel. Came with full tank. I am running 87 now to see how it performs, etc.

Honda says: REQUIRED fuel is "regular."
Acura says: RECOMMENDED fuel is "premium."

If towing with the Acura I believe the book says use Premium.

So, there are so many people on here that are so "strong minded" about what or what not to use, etc, etc. LOL!! Have read MANY of the posts...and how "passionate" folks get over this issue.

I know many run 87, regular, in their RDX's and say no "pinging" or better known as "pre-detonation."

Acura does not say you can't run Reg. Again, they say Prem. is "recommended."

I chose to run Prem. in my RDX. Again, personal choice...don't care that it's costing me a little more...so folks out there..I don't need a lecture on this subject. Been there....done that. LOL!!!

I will continue to run Reg. in my Accord if I feel it's running the way I expect and want it too.

One last thought. Some even say they get better fuel mileage with Reg...some say with Prem. ???? I don't know. Never really checked it out that close.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The Acura RLX has a "direct injection" engine with 310 hp, and the TLX has a "di" engine also with 290 hp. Most of us know that the direct fuel injection system is more efficient and does give more hp depending how the computer is mapped.

Wish they would have put the di engine in the RDX. They even use Di on the ILX 4 cyl. The RDX got left out.

All Honda Motor Corp. V6's are very similar..just set up and tuned differently.

My '13 RDX has always been great..good power...actually very quick when you want it to be! But, I'd like to have seen more than a 6 hp increase for the '16. The TLX engine would have been good!!
Maybe the TLX V6 with the 9ZF wouldn't fit in the RDX. Probably the easiest and cheapest combo to drop in vice mating the V6 DI with the 6AT.

But put it this way... you have a well proven transmission and a smooth V6 with none of the carbon issues of a DI. And no anxiety with the 9ZF. The 16 RDX should be a pretty reliable car if you are keeping it long term.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Maybe the TLX V6 with the 9ZF wouldn't fit in the RDX. Probably the easiest and cheapest combo to drop in vice mating the V6 DI with the 6AT.

But put it this way... you have a well proven transmission and a smooth V6 with none of the carbon issues of a DI. And no anxiety with the 9ZF. The 16 RDX should be a pretty reliable car if you are keeping it long term.

I know the 9ZF has had some "complaints" but, what I know of it, it's a matter of computer mapping mostly to get it right. With that said...I'm not really complaining about the engine that is in the RDX nor the 6-speed tranny. They've been good for me. I appreciate and like the "S" gear and the use of the paddle shifters when I want to. Overall it's been a very reliable set up. Within city only driving we get a consistent 22 mpg overall. I don't think that is bad at all.

It will be interesting to see how the 9ZF works out after being around longer. I know it's an attempt to get the mpg up a little as manufacturers are trying to meet the new CAFE standards as they get tougher and tougher to meet.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I bet they just stuck with the non-DI engine and 6-speed because the RDX was already selling so well, so if it isn't broken, why fix it? They managed to get 29 mpg max with the FWD out of the tweaked-but-old engine and 6-speed, which is great. Look at a car with all the modern tricks... BMW X3 sDrive28i, 2WD. 4-cyl turbo, DI, 8-speed auto. 1 mpg worse and almost 40 hp less, comparable torque. Clearly, if Honda could eek out such good mpg out of such a powerful and large displacement engine, then why spend the money to change it?