Car won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012 | 11:23 AM
10th Gear

Car won't start!!

So the other day I leave for work, I get the maintenance required light flashing, no big deal, I drive to work and everything's fine. I get the light flashing again when I leave, disregard it, then go to a friend's house. I go to start the car, it starts ok, but then the engine is reving up and down and i hear a clicking noise coming from the gear shifter. I shut the car off and haven't been able to start it since. I've searched the site and found lots of info regarding a bad main relay, but in those cases the car would at least turn over. The battery seems fine as all my electrical works well, lights aren't dim, radio and fan come on. Any ideas>?
Old 04-22-2012 | 11:54 AM
FwC
Instructor

OBDII test would be my first suggestion to get the trouble codes and that would be the proper place to start.
Old 04-22-2012 | 12:06 PM
Noobie1Kenobi

You did mention - revving up and down -does it happen only when the car is in Park ? - if yes looks like a sign of IAC valve is either dirty or defective. (thats $80 part ) and its located under the throttle body. As for bad main relay - that usually happens if you have crank no start issues - and most of the time it happens in a hot days summer days. This is a known issue for some hondas and acuras. Main relay - cost $30-$70 and its located under the steering colum left side. You can save money by getting the part outside the dealership.
Old 04-22-2012 | 06:27 PM
10th Gear

The revving up and down only happened the one time right after I started it. I shut it off after about 10 seconds and haven't been able to start it since. It was in park when that happened, haven't had a chance to see if that happens while in drive or neutral because I can't start it now. I got the ! Light and the vsa light too, but no CEL so will there even be a code to read? Thanks for the help
Old 04-22-2012 | 06:37 PM
Noobie1Kenobi

Originally Posted by Ron Mexico
The revving up and down only happened the one time right after I started it. I shut it off after about 10 seconds and haven't been able to start it since. It was in park when that happened, haven't had a chance to see if that happens while in drive or neutral because I can't start it now. I got the ! Light and the vsa light too, but no CEL so will there even be a code to read? Thanks for the help
wow - looks like the same exact problem that that i have a week ago - first -revs up and down only happens in park, but on drive or reverse no issues. I run the OBD code reader - its pointin to the IAC valve . So I replaced it and worked fine . After several days - I had this intermittent crank no start issues. Weird thing is only happens on warm or hot weather . No codes when i run OBD reader- I researched and figured out its a main relay switch issue- I replaced it works now. Right now i have this VSA and ! light on - No codes on my OBD reader - but gives me this yellow light indicating that there is an issue somewhere. I will go to the honda repair service to have it check since VSA system is complicated and composed of several sensors that worked together to stabilized the car. Will follow up this post once i got the codes from honda.
Old 04-23-2012 | 07:48 AM
10th Gear

I don't have the time right now to try different things, i'll take it to the shop and let you know what they say.
Old 04-24-2012 | 05:55 PM
10th Gear

Turned out to be a faulty ground wire that just wore and broke
Old 04-24-2012 | 09:42 PM
08 TL-S 5AT WDP

Which ground wire? Where is it located so I can check mine.
Not a problem yet, but would like to check it out before it becomes a problem.