What the hell is the extended warranty good for?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell is the extended warranty good for?!

My regular warranty expired. My trunk is sticking up on one side, not in line with the other, at the top corner. To 'READJUST' it, its $25.

Secondly, the little pen tray above the stereo head unit, is stuck and won't come out. $20 to fix.

Third: My car WON'T pass inspection at the dealership because it has a cracked front road lamp cover.
To replace, $125 each.

FOURTH: TSB's DO NOT apply to the EXTENDED warranty. Instead of painting the mufflers, they would replace them, $275 each.

Sorry to rant to you guys like this, but this bullshit is ridiculous. Its nickel and dime things like this that make me hate this car.
I can't believe that I was under the impression that my extended warranty (purchased when I bought the car) would cover anything up to 100K miles. I thought it REALLY meant bumper to bumper.

I spoke with 2 dealerships today about an S2000 and am gathering pricing. The Marysville Ohio method of making cars is FUCKING WACKED.

IF anyone in the Northern VA area knows of a good dealership to pick up a new S2000 at, let me know. People on s2ki.com are paying $29,100 typically, OUT THE DOOR for new ones.

I may be soon joining the list of haters of this car. :o

People compliment my car, but little do they know that I drive a LOANER RSX almost as much as I drive my own.

3 rotor replacements, 1 transmission=so far for major things. I can't even begin to list the small things.

So, I know that the extended warranty is for large things going out, is that IT?!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:54 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt put of w/ that shit dawg

sell the motherfucker
Old 05-30-2003, 01:55 AM
///M POWER

oh yea, and whats the point of painting the mufflers???
Old 05-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Instructor

my dealership is AMAZING! thats all i have to say! they never give me any trouble at all and i am 18 years old. they turned my rotors, replaced the pads, fixed the sunroof, washed and detalied my car, fixed my trunk, ORDERING and INSTALLING a new Actuator Bypass Valve, for free.....and that last thing looks pretty pricey!
Old 05-30-2003, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

Extended warrenties are just for the dealers to milk out more $$$ from the buyer. If you read the contract carefully...replacement/repair at their own discretion...they don't have to fix jack sh!t. And you have to pay the deductable. I would say...save the extrea $2K. Most stuff after the 4 year warrenty is likely to fall under "wear and tear" which the dealers will use that excuse to not fix stuff.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paint mufflers?????? Please explain. PLEASE!!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:06 AM
'Cooter

$125 for a road lamp housing??? try $50 from Park Ave.

i'd shop around before u get totally anally raped :shakehd:
Old 05-30-2003, 09:10 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stop

You bought something without reading the fine print
Old 05-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd shop around before u get totally anally raped :shakehd: [/B][/QUOTE]

.......by Peter North!!!!! ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 10:34 AM
TRELOS

WTF Painted Mufflers?????

Juker008
Old 05-30-2003, 10:42 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by paulff3
i'd shop around before u get totally anally raped :shakehd:

.......by Peter North!!!!! ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Mandingo...14".... .

Juker008
Old 05-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: What the hell is the extended warranty good for?!

Originally posted by TypeSKid
My regular warranty expired. My trunk is sticking up on one side, not in line with the other, at the top corner. To 'READJUST' it, its $25.

Secondly, the little pen tray above the stereo head unit, is stuck and won't come out. $20 to fix.

Third: My car WON'T pass inspection at the dealership because it has a cracked front road lamp cover.
To replace, $125 each.

FOURTH: TSB's DO NOT apply to the EXTENDED warranty. Instead of painting the mufflers, they would replace them, $275 each.

Sorry to rant to you guys like this, but this bullshit is ridiculous. Its nickel and dime things like this that make me hate this car.
I can't believe that I was under the impression that my extended warranty (purchased when I bought the car) would cover anything up to 100K miles. I thought it REALLY meant bumper to bumper.

I spoke with 2 dealerships today about an S2000 and am gathering pricing. The Marysville Ohio method of making cars is FUCKING WACKED.

IF anyone in the Northern VA area knows of a good dealership to pick up a new S2000 at, let me know. People on s2ki.com are paying $29,100 typically, OUT THE DOOR for new ones.

I may be soon joining the list of haters of this car. :o

People compliment my car, but little do they know that I drive a LOANER RSX almost as much as I drive my own.

3 rotor replacements, 1 transmission=so far for major things. I can't even begin to list the small things.

So, I know that the extended warranty is for large things going out, is that IT?!
sounds to me you have a SHITTY dealership. take the car some where else. roadhousing caused inspection failure??? tell them to pull up an 03 cl and fail inspection because they HAVE NO ROADLAMPS

some of the other stuff i could understand why it may or may not be covered under warranty but still your dealership takes you as a complete idiot and you should take your business somewhere else!

sidemarker
Old 05-30-2003, 12:31 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It is frustrating trrying to find out what is covered. I have the certified Acura warr which adds 1 year onto the 4 year warranty. Sales rep lied that it was the same, it is not. It took me going thru 4 or 5 people before I got the exact truth on it. They tell you want you want to hear or don't tell you the whole truth.
Only Acura at the 800# explained it correctly to me, I'm hoping.
I have no repair issues, but when and if I do, I know what should be covered. but it's a tossup sometimes anyway.
I've driven Hondacuras for 15 years and never had the kind or number of problems I read here, but all mine before the CL were made in Japan.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
yea, acura/honda is losing their reputation very fast. Their service and support has gone to shit.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
I've driven Hondacuras for 15 years and never had the kind or number of problems I read here, but all mine before the CL were made in Japan.
I take a lot of the whining seen here with the proverbial grain of salt. Internet based forums like this have only been around for a few years (yes, I know that BBS has been around for a long time, but it was not widely used) . I think the ease of finding a forum to complain in has increased the number of complaints considerably. Overall, these cars are still pretty well made and many of the problems identified are market and product-wide, not just with Honda/Acura.

Service bays have been full and mechanics have been busy for the last 100 years. Until they take away all moving parts, they'll continue to be busy. In general, problems with cars are not news.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Masshole

I read my agreement and I asked certain questions about the agreement. It seems that items which I was told would be covered, are now considered wear items. I'm cancelling the warranty...I hate my dealer with a passion right now. They don't even use lube or cuddle or anything. F*CKERS!!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

Painted Mufflers = The black paint on the mufflers starts to peel showing bare metal. Usually they take ur car in for a day and repaint the mufflers unders a TSB.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I am glad I did not get extended warranty, I knew its a scam.... just like any warranty or service plan they trying to sell you.... they make a lot of money from those plans.....
The only time I was thinking of getting extended is because of tranny, but since now its covered.... the extended warranty is completly useless..... I'd rather take the chances....

$1200+ for extra 3 years & 50K miles? for what?
thats BS.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Race Director

Purchasing an extended warranty has two main elements: risk and cost.

You primarily purchase an extended warranty because you believe in the long run, the amount of money paid out to cover the unexpected repairs to your car plus the residual value will exceed the amount you paid to purchase and service the extended warranty and any deductibles.

So on the last day of your warranty or car ownership, whichever comes first, you hope that you are $1 ahead, and if you are, you made a wise decision. Don't forget to include "piece of mind" into the price decision if you are so inclined.

So that's the risk that you take and you hope you come out a winner in the end. An extended warranty is not your personal mechanic on call. I guess what I am trying to say is if you entire electrical system fails tomorrow and after deductible, you "save" $850 (and you paid for all those things you mentioned), would you not feel you are doing fine so far?

Obviously it is tougher to get ahead depending on what you paid for the warranty. My insurance company GEICO offers me for $80 per year:

Multi-Risk is a package of coverages that includes Comprehensive,
Collision and Mechanical Breakdown (MBI). This coverage protects you from expensive auto repair bills when your car experiences a mechanical failure. Multi-Risk is usually much more affordable than the Extended Warranty offered by your car dealership and in some instances covers more.

Varying deductibles are available for the Comprehensive and Collision portions of the package; a $250 deductible applies to the Mechanical Breakdown.

You should add Multi-Risk protection to your policy as soon after the car is purchased as possible. GEICO Multi-Risk can only be added if it is a current model year vehicle, the vehicle is less than 11 months old and the odometer reading is less than 11,000 miles, and you are the first title holder.

Multi-Risk coverage expires once the vehicle is 7 years old or reaches 100,000 miles.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by russianDude
I am glad I did not get extended warranty, I knew its a scam.... just like any warranty or service plan they trying to sell you.... they make a lot of money from those plans.....
The only time I was thinking of getting extended is because of tranny, but since now its covered.... the extended warranty is completly useless..... I'd rather take the chances....

thats BS.

What if you have electrical problems, the radio goes out? There are TONS of things that they can fuck you on if you don't have the extended warranty.

I picked up my car yesterday and told them that it was BULLSHIT. Flat out.

I said that I wasn't going to pay for the trunk lid needing to be adjusted. I told him that I wasn't going to pay for the notepad tray to get fixed.

They told me they wouldn't charge me for those items. However, they still wouldn't do the mufflers because its a TSB and they don't honor those unless its the factory warranty.
It just seems like I always have to be a total asshole to get anything done from them. If they REALLY wanted to keep me as a customer, they would go out of their way for me, no matter what.

Obviously Acura doesn't want to keep customers, and I won't be buying another one, ever again.
I hope the PRICKS at CORPORATE will read this, and learn that you are LOSING BUSINESS FAST!
Old 05-31-2003, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Okay, can someone explain how exactly the extended warranty work?

I'm sorry, I don't give a crap about rinky-dink stuff like slight cosmetic stuff. I only care about stuff that. I only care about signifigant thing that affect how the car drives or etc.

So what's this about a deductable? How much is it?

My air conditioner kept blowing out on my last car (Ford taurus) and that was never a cheap fix. So I'm heavily leaning toward the extended warranty.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by russianDude

thats BS.
I couldn't agree more that extended warranties, in general, are scams and huge moneymakers for those who sell them. However, I had blown my first tranny, and Acura hadn't notified me about the extended warranty on the tranny. I hadn't been on A-CL yet, so I had no idea about the tranny warranty. The pricks at the dealer didn't even say a word to me when I told them the main reason I was paying them $1,200 was because of the tranny...and, this was in August of '02!! This is the only extended coverage plan I have ever purchased, and it's been a big waste of money. Another lesson learned...from Acura.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:09 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko
Okay, can someone explain how exactly the extended warranty work?

I'm sorry, I don't give a crap about rinky-dink stuff like slight cosmetic stuff. I only care about stuff that. I only care about signifigant thing that affect how the car drives or etc.

So what's this about a deductable? How much is it?

My air conditioner kept blowing out on my last car (Ford taurus) and that was never a cheap fix. So I'm heavily leaning toward the extended warranty.
If you purchase it through Acura (AcuraCare), then there is no deductible...as far as I know. Ask for a copy of the booklet that spells out exactly what is and is not covered before you spend the dough. If they balk at this request, tell them they'll never get a dime from you if you can't see it, cuz you'll go somewhere else. Many of the items that are covered under the factory warranty (4/50) are or can be considered wear items under the extended warranty.

The big selling point made at my dealer was the timing belt. It's covered up to 90k. If it fails before 90k, it's covered. If you have it replaced before 90k, or if you have it replaced within a very small window after 90k, I believe, and it fails, then it's covered. If it fails after this window, and it's the original timing belt, it's not covered.

If you can't get the dealer to give you a copy to read, I can try to copy my warranty and scan it and e-mail it to you. It might be too big a file at that point, or I can copy it and fax it or mail it.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:49 AM
CL 6 speeder

Extended warrenties have been around for a long time. They have always been ripoffs. When I bought my last new car in 1988, they tried to sell me one. I kept saying no. Finally the finance guy admitted to me that "its just extra dealer profit". You younger guys should think of this as a learning experience. Car sales people lie lie lie lie lie lie lie. Try and let that settle into your minds. Buyer beware.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i dunno.... i buy extended warranties for anything expensive i plan on keeping for a long time. I havent had issues with cars yet but as far as electronics go, i have definately got my monies worth. Example:I bought my cell phone at BestBuy with a 3 year extended warranty. Here i am 4 cell phones later....i still have a year to go!!
Old 06-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Race Director

So my question to all is when you bought your new car off the floor with a 4/50k warranty, if you could cancel that and get $1000 off sticker, would you?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by kensteele
So my question to all is when you bought your new car off the floor with a 4/50k warranty, if you could cancel that and get $1000 off sticker, would you?

If I knew the tranny would have an extend warranty???? Hard to say. Probably not. I had an extended on my Nissan that paid for itself. Acura labor and parts cost a bit more than Nissan. But Acura also has a longer standard warranty. I paid $700 for my warranty (5/100/0). At the time I was driving +20k a year.

If I had a 6-speed, no way.
If I knew I would only be driving 10k a year, no way.
If I knew the tranny would have a 7/100, no way.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

I’m gonna buy the extended warranty for my 6-Speed before the price jumps at 2-yrs/24,000 miles.
There are TONS of expensive things to go wrong with this car besides the Tranny.
One extended dealer trip alone will pay for the thing.
NAVI, ABS, CD Changer, ECU, Ignition system…etc…

I never buy warranty’s on electronics or appliances.
Usually if they’re bad, they’re bad right out of the box.

I got the 7YR/70,000 Mile extended warranty on the RAV4 when I bought it a few weeks ago.
The dealer actually lowered the interest rate on the loan by a full percent to help sell it.
Over the life of the loan it will nearly pay itself off.
Plus I got free dealer services like oil changes and all scheduled maintenance for 3YR/30,000.

If I don’t use it, the price is fully refundable when I sell the car….Can’t lose on that one.

Shawn S
Old 06-02-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by kensteele

Ken: I had to drive 3 hours almost to get my car. For that, they threw it in at no charge.

Total price I paid for a 2001 CL-S with spoiler, non navi: $29,500 OUT THE DOOR.

They couldn't have gone any lower.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Race Director

People seem to think any type of car warranty is bogus.

My question might have been vague, it should have read:

So my question to all is when you bought your new car off the floor with a 4/50k warranty, if you could cancel the 4/50k warranty that comes with the car and get $1000 off your best deal, would you do that and just as well drive around a brand new car with no warranty at all?
Old 06-02-2003, 01:09 PM
CL 6 speeder

Why do I think the warrenty is bogus? Well Japanese cars are generally designed very well (can't say what happened with the CL auto transmission). I have bought four new japanese cars (not including my new CL) and would have never used an extended warrenty once. If the part is not defective (and therefore show up within the 4 year period) it will have a normal life span. Maybe if the car is abused this is not the case.
If you had access to statistics I think you would find that dealerships make a huge profit off these warrenties. Cost effective for the consumer? I doubt it.

I would not buy a car without ANY warrenty because some defects as manufactured are inevitable. Would I like $1000 off? Sure.. I got a lot more than that when I bought