Water condensation in Headlight housing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 AM
noodles tastes good.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water condensation in Headlight housing

Hey, i just noticed today I have some fog and quite a bit of water condensating in side the clear housing of my headlights. I'm actually taking my car in for my 38k (km) service - do you think they will fix this under warranty? I thought the housing was supposed to be airtight? Only one is like this.

And, they are charging me $190 (CAD) for this service, they said mainly brake inspection and rotate tires as well as the normal stuff like oil change... that is ridiculously expensive man!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
noodles tastes good.

This would be equivalent to 23-24k miles service .. anywhere i can cut cornerS?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Headlight Replacement

I had condensation in my passenger side headlight and it was replaced by dealer under warranty. They will replace your headlight as long as it does not have any chips or cracks from road debris. If this is the case you will have to pay!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:26 AM
BUY MY CL - see garage!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n00dleboy
Hey, i just noticed today I have some fog and quite a bit of water condensating in side the clear housing of my headlights. I'm actually taking my car in for my 38k (km) service - do you think they will fix this under warranty? I thought the housing was supposed to be airtight? Only one is like this.
Sounds like a great opportunity to Clear the Headlights!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:45 AM
noodles tastes good.

Lol.. nah.. i don't think the dealer will clear the housing and I read you have to bake the housing in an oven to clear it.. lol..

i addressed the issue to the dealer and they asked if i had any accident and i said no cuz i didn't.. there is no cracks or chips.. just condensation.. so i hope they fix it today!!
Old 06-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Racer

And, they are charging me $190 (CAD) for this service, they said mainly brake inspection and rotate tires as well as the normal stuff like oil change... that is ridiculously expensive man!!!
I had the same problem with both of mine. The dealer replaced the entire assemblys as well as the igniters all under warranty.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:48 PM
noodles tastes good.

sweet - the dealer has ordered a whole new housing unit covered under warranty
Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 PM
BUY MY CL - see garage!

time to heed my own advice....

after hitting n00dle w/ a wisecrack, i washed my car today and noticed condensation in the right headlight afterwards.....

they're getting cleared tomorrow... any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

And i was going to ask the same question tonight.

My believe there has to be some kind of defect, with the Headlight housing, as i have seen other CLs with the same problem, i saw a 2003 CLS at the dealer the other week and alot of water condensation in one of the headlights.

Can anyone answer the following questions.

How hard is it to take of the headlight housing, and can it not be resealed ?

There has to be a cheaper repair solution then buying a new housing as i'm out of warranty
Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 PM
BUY MY CL - see garage!

search my man

you need to remove the bumper to get to the housing, then bake the lights to soften the sealant b/4 you can reseal.

i'm gonna try it tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Beware of leakage

Interesting thing is my old CLS, DOM was 10/00, I never had any trouble with the headlights fogging, until, I asked the dealer to replace the lenses because there looked to be an oily substance on the inside of the housing.
The new housings would fog everytime I would wahs the car when the engine was still relatively hot, if I washed it while the engine was still cool or cold, no fogging, so the dealer put in another set after I complained. Newest set would still do it every so often, but the fogging would resolve after about 30 mins of sitting.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:31 PM
A CL-TYPE S 6 SPEED OWNER

They should replace it under warranty no matter what! I had mine replaced under warranty 7 times man! Just make sure they put you bumper back on right! They didn't put mine on right and they even broke one of the clips holding it on. I had to have my bumber replaced and to make a long story short, they ended up getting into an accident with my car! So if you are getting it done, make sure you don't go to Weir Canyon Acura or Metro Acura in Montclair! Both of those dealers suck ass when it comes to headlight assembly replacements!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

I got some condensation in my driver side lamp. The dealership says i'm not under warranty anymore and that i need to replace the whole freaking unit. Are they lying?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the same headlight issue with my 01 CLS. I bought the car 3 months ago with a supposed "Bumper to Bumper" Certified Used Vehicle warranty. So far it has not covered squat. I have the vehicle with the dealer at the moment for a check engine light issue and will advise their response to the headlight repair.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
B A N N E D

well, if anyone hear wants black housings ( custom colors or what not ) and or to clear and seal the headlights correctly, i can do so. Ive done many CL's and CLS' and the results are all the same, proper sealent and vibrant clear plastic. Im giong to overhaul my headlights as soon as i restock on tools.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
I have the same headlight issue with my 01 CLS. I bought the car 3 months ago with a supposed "Bumper to Bumper" Certified Used Vehicle warranty. So far it has not covered squat. I have the vehicle with the dealer at the moment for a check engine light issue and will advise their response to the headlight repair.
I got quoted for just under $500cdn....which i think is a lot to pay to get rid of some water
Old 09-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Cruisin'

(Ghetto way) I just had that a couple of weeks ago... my whole housing had water vapors. i remove the low beam bulb. reached inside with a thin small cloth and a retracable bend wire and cleaned it up (made a cotton swab kinda thing).. took me about 25 minutes.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by clubali
(Ghetto way) I just had that a couple of weeks ago... my whole housing had water vapors. i remove the low beam bulb. reached inside with a thin small cloth and a retracable bend wire and cleaned it up (made a cotton swab kinda thing).. took me about 25 minutes.
So you can get inside the housing then. I will give it a try this weekend. My service advisor had a good laugh when asked if it were covered under the "bumper to bumper" certified warranty.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Cruisin'

So you can get inside the housing then. I will give it a try this weekend. My service advisor had a good laugh when asked if it were covered under the "bumper to bumper" certified warranty.
let me know if it works out. I got the water condensation cause i was hosing the headlights with pressure water to remove some sap. try not to hose water directly on it for a long ass time
Old 10-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by clubali
btw.. i meant the highbeam blub. low beams cant be removed!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm here in spirit...

My service advisor had a good laugh when asked if it were covered under the "bumper to bumper" certified warranty.

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! So you have the bumper to bumper certified Acura warranty and they laughed at you about it!!?? Oh, screw them dude! Bumper to Bumper means just that unless it's wear and tear. There is no "wear and tear" on the headlight housings. Take that shit back to them and tell them and make them fix it under warranty. Don't be the guy that just takes their word for it. It's covered dude! They only thing else I have to say is fuck it! Be a man and do a search. Find the DIY on clearing your headlights (trust me there is one, I just can't remember who posted it but it's a step by step guide) and clear the bitches! ........$.02
Old 10-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

I was at acura yesterday getting one of our acura's brakes done, and while I was there, I decided to look around, and I noticed the same thing on a '03 CL. The salesman said... oh.. we'll have to have someone look at that.... So, I have seen it before, but not sure where its coming from, or if they'll fix it. Good Luck... and Asking them never hurts. Ask if they will cover it.
Kyle.