P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerRev
You can't just make a spacer for the factory plenums, as you will then hit the valve covers. Yes it would be cheaper, but it will not clear unless they area really small. The way we were able to make these bigger while still clearing valve covers and hood, is that we kept them big towards the outside, where as factory rounded theres in. And we kept it going straight as far as we could until we saw clearance issues.

Since these are being made on a small level right now. I can not send them all for anodizing if someone would like to get one raw. It will not be an issue.
id think something like the oddessey lower intake spacer ,which is about the equivalant of two outlaw spacers would raise the upper intake enough to just have a plenum spacer using the stockers ...could be wrong ...maybe the equivalant there of say 10 gaskets? id say some one could take a gasket to a shop with cnc and get them to recreate the gasket out of aluminum about .5 inches thick ...and hey im in no way tryin to take away from what power rev has done ...the cost for theres is justified ,but if the same thing can be achieved for less im also all for that ...im gonna paste a section from TOV about the oddessey lower intake spacer...
from tov: one lap of america honda racing oddesseys:The #72 car went a few steps further, incorporating a Honda Pilot intake manifold spacer for more low/mid range torque. part number 3 20$
Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Still looking for a 6MT guinea pig?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
id think something like the oddessey lower intake spacer ,which is about the equivalant of two outlaw spacers would raise the upper intake enough to just have a plenum spacer using the stockers ...could be wrong ...maybe the equivalant there of say 10 gaskets? id say some one could take a gasket to a shop with cnc and get them to recreate the gasket out of aluminum about .5 inches thick ...and hey im in no way tryin to take away from what power rev has done ...the cost for theres is justified ,but if the same thing can be achieved for less im also all for that ...im gonna paste a section from TOV about the oddessey lower intake spacer...
from tov: one lap of america honda racing oddesseys:The #72 car went a few steps further, incorporating a Honda Pilot intake manifold spacer for more low/mid range torque. part number 3 20$

I didn't know they had that, and that's a very important mod to gain some midrange power. That's essentially what thermoblok spacers/gaskets whatever you want to call them do. There was one person on here to doubled the thermalbloks up. I really don't think thermoblok reduce intake mani temps as the bolts that hold the manifold to the runners soak up the heat and spread it to the manifold, so after 30 min of cruising, your mani temps are the same imo. I think the gains they are seeing is because of the elevated manifold.

Some of you older guys may remember cruising around with holly 850's on their old cars with tunnelrams or carb spacers, you could get up to a 2 in spacer to fit under the carb, this acted as a tunnelram so to speak. It acts like a high rise manifold. That spacer on the oddesy is the same concept.

As for the P2R's plenums, it's a fantastic idea and a great looking mod. If I was still in the mode to mod my current cl, I'd jump on these. With P2R getting them anodized that's even better. Anodizing is not expensive and you can get them in a variety of colors. I'm partial to the TypeS red.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you ever looked at a engine in a Oddyssey. Its sits very low, I am not sure if you tried that spacer out yet, but on my Cl, there is not a ton of hood clearance. So I am not sure if that would make the intake manifold hit the hood or not. Thats more of the reason why I do not want to bring the intake up to much, but would rather create the volume from the plenums, which will not make the intake manifold sit any higher, and then you can still port out your intake manifold.
The J series engines have so much potential, its a shame that there are not many people going in depth with them to try and create big Hp like we are doing. You guys are goin to flip out when I show you the recent dyno graph of my turbo J30 Civic
Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerRev
Have you ever looked at a engine in a Oddyssey. Its sits very low, I am not sure if you tried that spacer out yet, but on my Cl, there is not a ton of hood clearance. So I am not sure if that would make the intake manifold hit the hood or not. Thats more of the reason why I do not want to bring the intake up to much, but would rather create the volume from the plenums, which will not make the intake manifold sit any higher, and then you can still port out your intake manifold.
The J series engines have so much potential, its a shame that there are not many people going in depth with them to try and create big Hp like we are doing. You guys are goin to flip out when I show you the recent dyno graph of my turbo J30 Civic
well someone did double up the thermoblok spacers... i forget the exact thickness, but i believe each one is about 1/4 inch thick, so by doubling thats roughly a 1/2 inch up and he had hood clearance. i'm also planning to do dyno testing w/ double up spacers and also trying your thermal gasket to see what happens.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cool cleancl, let us know.

anyone know if you can order spacers pieces separately?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
cool cleancl, let us know.

anyone know if you can order spacers pieces separately?
yup, just e-mail outlaw with what you want and they will send you a price on the individual item.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CleanCL
well someone did double up the thermoblok spacers... i forget the exact thickness, but i believe each one is about 1/4 inch thick, so by doubling thats roughly a 1/2 inch up and he had hood clearance. i'm also planning to do dyno testing w/ double up spacers and also trying your thermal gasket to see what happens.
remember RES it would clear ...maybe have to notch or remove the fiber underhood cover thingy but i think theres plenty of room for that spacer
Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright seems almost for sure I am going to test these out. I just need to get an Apexi Neo...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

The Pilot spacer is a great idea too bad, my hood clearance as a result of the swap is almost gone, can you say, cut hood insulation and supports
Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is very interesting
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

this explains the infamous "mystery mod" that never got produced
Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Banned

this explains the infamous "mystery mod" that never got produced
Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
remember RES it would clear ...maybe have to notch or remove the fiber underhood cover thingy but i think theres plenty of room for that spacer
so are the bolts that OE supplys long enough for the 2 spacers? I will def be hoppin on these plenums as soon as he dough rolls in as well lol
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

yea... it's a $20 part but that doesn't include the longer bolts and 2 gaskets you need to buy. not saying that would stop me from doing it... but it's a little more complicated, do the egr ports line up? bolts are same thread?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

yea... it's a $20 part but that doesn't include the longer bolts and 2 gaskets you need to buy. not saying that would stop me from doing it... but it's a little more complicated, do the egr ports line up? bolts are same thread?

I thought of the same thing yesterday. The gaskets are $16.33 a piece, you need to get longer bolts, and yes who knows they may be a different thread, and the egr ports may not line up, and you may have to do a little under the hood to make some more room. I think I may go ahead and order everything and see how it goes. In the end it will be $20(spacer) and $32.66(gaskets) for a total of $52.66. I think its worth it to see.

How are those plenums coming, I am still in for those either way.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

One more note, sorry I couldn't edit my last post. The Pilot bolts are 8x105, the TL-s bolts are 8x65. Also matching up the illustrations the gaskets look like a match so I don't think these will be an issue, but there is only one way to find out. We shall see.....
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
One more note, sorry I couldn't edit my last post. The Pilot bolts are 8x105, the TL-s bolts are 8x65. Also matching up the illustrations the gaskets look like a match so I don't think these will be an issue, but there is only one way to find out. We shall see.....
dont forget, you will need the pilot bolts and the studs.. part #18 which is 8x100

Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I talked about this years ago on the TL side. I matched up a set of gaskets from the TL to the pilot spacer and they matched. I just never went thru with it (due to trans #3 failure at the time) Im not sure if the S guys will be able to use it due to clearance issues but the P motors can take it without problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

that's about a 1.5" difference... figuring in the need for extra thread length, the spacer is probably slightly more than 1" which i think is even more than doubling up the thermobloks...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
PowerRev

I may give you my 6mt to test if you still need it. What kinda of time frame are you looking at? How long would you need it?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

that's about a 1.5" difference... figuring in the need for extra thread length, the spacer is probably slightly more than 1" which i think is even more than doubling up the thermobloks...
look at the old pic of RES it was atleast an inch taller and it cleared !
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I talked about this years ago on the TL side. I matched up a set of gaskets from the TL to the pilot spacer and they matched. I just never went thru with it (due to trans #3 failure at the time) Im not sure if the S guys will be able to use it due to clearance issues but the P motors can take it without problems.

Well opened up the hood this weekend and decided to see how mcuh room I would have if I were to do the Pilot spacer. So I took 2 pieces of wood that were a tad bit smaller than the top of the intake manifold and were also roughly an inch thick each, total of two inches. The hood didn't come close to closing. SH*T!!!!!! The only way I see to do it is to get a different hood, or are my methods of testing space wrong.

Soooooo........how are those plenums coming
Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Update from my side: Sean from P2R said we may be able to get them on sometime this week. I just spent all weekend working extra hours for an Apexi Neo. I have the money for that now and plan to order it on monday.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Well opened up the hood this weekend and decided to see how mcuh room I would have if I were to do the Pilot spacer. So I took 2 pieces of wood that were a tad bit smaller than the top of the intake manifold and were also roughly an inch thick each, total of two inches. The hood didn't come close to closing. SH*T!!!!!! The only way I see to do it is to get a different hood, or are my methods of testing space wrong.

id say the pilot spacer is not much more than an inch thick ...and did you remove the fiber underhood cover
Old 11-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

i already purchased all the parts... ill let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

No I didn't take off the fiber underhood cover.

CleanCL......not if I beat you to it, I as well had ordered the parts before I tried it this weekend. Hopefully they will be showing up in the next day or so.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

i already purchased all the parts... ill let everyone know how it turns out.
Sweet
Wish I had the hood clearance to do this, already have no insulation and cut hood supports. Looking foward to the results, hey so what ever happened to the cams you were testing anyway? Any thoughts on the TLS cams retro'd to fit our heads (ie cam gears etc)?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

No I didn't take off the fiber underhood cover.

CleanCL......not if I beat you to it, I as well had ordered the parts before I tried it this weekend. Hopefully they will be showing up in the next day or so.
but i will be doing before/after dynos.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I dont have the clearance to install them with the type-s motor in my TL-P or id install them as well. As it stands im VERY close to hitting the hood with the motor.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

but i will be doing before/after dynos.
keep us posted
Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Still looking for a 6MT guinea pig?
Yes.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
PowerRev

I may give you my 6mt to test if you still need it. What kinda of time frame are you looking at? How long would you need it?
Fuzzy I can help you out with this. He won't need your car other than if you want to do a custom tune.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Sup guys, i just ordered a set of the P2Rs intake plenum from Excelerate. I have to get it dynos before and after. Don't know any dyno places around the NY area. Wondering if anyone here from the NYC area can come with and show me a place.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Harrisonk531616
Sup guys, i just ordered a set of the P2Rs intake plenum from Excelerate. I have to get it dynos before and after. Don't know any dyno places around the NY area. Wondering if anyone here from the NYC area can come with and show me a place.
contact Josh on dyno info, i'm on LI and getting a set of plenums too.. we should dyno the same time.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
contact Josh on dyno info, i'm on LI and getting a set of plenums too.. we should dyno the same time.
That's a great idea as each car will always pull a different set of numbers. Leaves less chance for error.

I think I can guinea pig my car but I won't be back in town until the end of this month. My car will feel neglected once again...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
That's a great idea as each car will always pull a different set of numbers. Leaves less chance for error.

I think I can guinea pig my car but I won't be back in town until the end of this month. My car will feel neglected once again...
yup, i'm trying to rent a dyno for a day, or at least a few hours. i plan on testing different variations of things to see what the dyno shows in terms of power and AFR. and having 2 cars running side by side there will be less speculation.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
I'm very interested to see the outcome of this..
Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Uses turn signals in my

I am all set for testing! Just waiting on my Apexi NEO to arrive (ETA is Thursday).
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Sure, just PM me. And we swap info from there.
Where in LI are u locateD?

Quick Reply: P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums