P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
I guess people just can't comprehend the cost of Billet aluminum and the time involved in R&D and manufacturing each piece.

The price is what the price is; can't afford it? Save up some cash for a few more months.

However, given the trend in the ownership of these cars I would advise companies producing products to keep in mind that the average age of people modding these cars is dropping every year. I've never seen more teenagers on this forum before. Teens aren't going to have as deep of pockets as the members here had just 2-3 years ago.

If this product was sold back in '03-'04 they would have flown off the shelves. Now, probably not so much. Gotta keep the demographic of your customer in mind.

Good luck guys.
Pretty true, more so if even cheaper cars like Accords and civics, but mid-size acuras are getting up there too. So glad im no longer a teenager
Old 10-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cl8trr
Some moderators on here need to chill with the attitude and power trips and step out of the box and ground themselves for a few!
lol...sure.

why the comment?

EDIT: I hate to bust your chops but even though my CL-P is long gone, I spent a lot of money on it, and everyone who knows me would vouch for me. If the car was in my hands now I would spend the money on the plenums because they would be worth my wild since I had every bolt-on on the engine.

I can't wait to see the dyno on these though...very exciting.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Turbo 6 Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
510 shipped. Ill test it. I have intake headers.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
What I can't understand is everyone wants more products for the J-series and everyone claims there isn't support for it. Now we have a manufacturer that is introducing new products for a dead platform and ppl are up in arms. This is why companies aren't producing products anymore. It takes time, R&D, money to make new products. So why make new products if the market is dying and ppl aren't willing to spend anymore?
I think what they want is for these to be produced, bought by a company like SS autochrome. SS autochrome then sends a set to Tiawan and has them rip off the design using inferior quality metals and sell them for $150 shipped.

I use the XS headers, but I would be very hesitant on putting a cheap intake plenum. The risks are much higher on the intake side than on the exhaust side.

I think it was Mr. Steve who pointed out that as the median age of the CL/TL owner gets lower, so does the median income. That is the price issue, to some of the owners, I could be 2 weeks pay. That said, CNC machining is expensive and R&D is as well. If you want a developed product precision manufactured with quality metals, you are going to have to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure thats why a Ferrari cost more than a Hyundai.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
For $150 you could not even purchase a single block of Billet large enough to make the manifolds let alone produce them, market them, distribute them, and make a profit.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as making something like this out of cast. There is surly not enough interest in a product like this to make it out of cast. Remember you have to make a mold first to do a cast product.
Also what you guys have to remember is that this product was designed for our N/A accord that we are building for NHRA Street Stock, and we figured that we can make a few more of them since there is not much part’s out for the J series people. Trust me; we are not trying to get rich off of selling plenums for J series. If that was the case, we would be on another forum trying to sell them for B series civics
Also what you guys need to remember is that the plenums will make more gains on a heavily modified engine, as we made them really big because our engine is over 13.5:1 compression. We were actually quite surprised that we picked up 6 hp by bolting them on. But we didn’t pick up any Tq showing that it’s surly big for a stock engine. But then again my CL does not even have a header or exhaust on it.
Just in case you’re wondering. We are trying to achieve between 320-340 Hp NA while retaining 3.0 liters in displacement.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by PowerRev
As far as making something like this out of cast. There is surly not enough interest in a product like this to make it out of cast. Remember you have to make a mold first to do a cast product.
Also what you guys have to remember is that this product was designed for our N/A accord that we are building for NHRA Street Stock, and we figured that we can make a few more of them since there is not much part’s out for the J series people. Trust me; we are not trying to get rich off of selling plenums for J series. If that was the case, we would be on another forum trying to sell them for B series civics
Also what you guys need to remember is that the plenums will make more gains on a heavily modified engine, as we made them really big because our engine is over 13.5:1 compression. We were actually quite surprised that we picked up 6 hp by bolting them on. But we didn’t pick up any Tq showing that it’s surly big for a stock engine. But then again my CL does not even have a header or exhaust on it.
Just in case you’re wondering. We are trying to achieve between 320-340 Hp NA while retaining 3.0 liters in displacement.
Thats interesting, are you going for that much power at the crank or the wheels?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Racer

if you can get the j block n/a to those numbers at the wheels I will be your most loyal follower..if the price is right!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Instructor

if you can get the j block n/a to those numbers at the wheels I will be your most loyal follower..if the price is right!
I am certain we will make the Power. But its not going to be cheap. Let me give you a quick lil example of what i mean.
We had custom pistons made, and we had the cylinder heads reworked. We modified the chambers on the head, by welding the chambers, and reshaping them, to match the pistons. So basically the pistons and head, are a perfect mate for each other. We have custom valvetrain, to match with the custom camshafts. Heads were ported of course. Head work alone was over $5k

Accord_V6_400m
At the wheels for sure.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Racer

I am certain we will make the Power. But its not going to be cheap. Let me give you a quick lil example of what i mean.
We had custom pistons made, and we had the cylinder heads reworked. We modified the chambers on the head, by welding the chambers, and reshaping them, to match the pistons. So basically the pistons and head, are a perfect mate for each other. We have custom valvetrain, to match with the custom camshafts. Heads were ported of course. Head work alone was over $5k

Accord_V6_400m
At the wheels for sure.
OMG!!5k for headwork? well im on my way out the door,im in bakersfield at battle of the imports in the torco booth, no I dont work for torco but one of my best friends owns a import race shop that is sponsored by them, I can get port and polish and commercial parts for next to nothing but im gonna have to live off cup-o-noodles to have a 300hp p2r j32 block.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by mrsteve
For $150 you could not even purchase a single block of Billet large enough to make the manifolds let alone produce them, market them, distribute them, and make a profit.
What people want and what they can get are 2 very different things.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 PM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
What people want and what they can get are 2 very different things.
I agree... I want: Skyline R34...I can only get: my car ...Anyway, this mod definitely will be in my "to save up & get" list....
Old 10-29-2007, 01:28 AM

Accord_V6_400m
At the wheels for sure.
Sounds great, i've seen a C30 NSX make 350whp NA or actually thats what the guy told me but apaprently it was blueprinted and all. Just a matter of maintaining torque for as long as possible to about 8K i'd say, maybe a tad higher buts thats pushing it a lot.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

I was comtemplating being the CL 6 speed guinea pig, but I've got a comptech B pipe and muffler set that I need to grab before the car is sold.

I'm looking at the 510 + 2 dynos for these or 500 for the Comptech Exhaust. Unfortunately I think I should go with the exhaust as they don't and from what I understand won't, make the B pipe any more.

I'm gonna gamble and hope some one else steps up. This looks like it could be my first mod of the summer of 2008.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Only CL in town!

yea, this will probably be one of my first mods of 2008. I'm looking at getting coilovers right now. I'm ready to see some results on these, someone needs to get in on these and get the results out
Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
edits

....$600?? maybe with 10+ horses untuned 15 tuned... what if we all send you our throttle bodies and you give them a nice port and polish for $650,that would be a nice combo deal? of course we would pay shipping
I understand the cost of materials plays a big part in this, but 10+ would be just okay for that price. At the projected GB price of $500 something, then it becomes both affordable and justifiable. In the end it sux that so many of us have limited budgets for mods, so it's just human nature to squeal like a pig when we see the price.

Anyway, don't forget about the torque . . . 10-15hp is nice, but without the torque to go with it, it's not nearly as good of a mod.

Dang this sux that RES never materialized. It promised a nearly flat power gain of 12-15 in both hp and tq, at a price of $300 or so . . . ah the fantasy days. And even then we had some people balking at the price.

Ruf
Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by RUF87
Dang this sux that RES never materialized. It promised a nearly flat power gain of 12-15 in both hp and tq, at a price of $300 or so . . . ah the fantasy days. And even then we had some people balking at the price.

Ruf
Power promised on a part that was never made doesn't excite me.

I really don't think these are over priced, here's my reasoning....

I spent more money on my wheels, they add Zero hp and Zero torque, but do it consistently through the RPM range.

This mod not only adds power, but it looks incredible under the hood.

It will cost less than an underbody kit and add substantial more HP and Torque than the body kit would.

It will allow for more tunability of your motor (and bring out more power from other mods).

Lastly, we are talking about a company who seems very dedicated to performance and building a top quality part with top quality materials (sound anything like the boys at Comptech?).....you get what you pay for.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Lead Footed

Power promised on a part that was never made doesn't excite me.

I really don't think these are over priced, here's my reasoning....

I spent more money on my wheels, they add Zero hp and Zero torque, but do it consistently through the RPM range.

This mod not only adds power, but it looks incredible under the hood.

It will cost less than an underbody kit and add substantial more HP and Torque than the body kit would.

It will allow for more tunability of your motor (and bring out more power from other mods).

Lastly, we are talking about a company who seems very dedicated to performance and building a top quality part with top quality materials (sound anything like the boys at Comptech?).....you get what you pay for.
Hense my comment about the fantasy.

I spent less on my wheels, and while they don't add HP or TQ, they did improve my performance . . . all around. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times included.

Looks are secondary to a hot rodder . . . performance always comes first in my book.

While I won't knock the company or the promise of more to come, which I hope they do, for you guys with more disposable income, more power to you. For those with limited income or budgets, they have every right to wish for a cheaper alternative. And that's one of my points.

Anyway . . while I dreamed of Comtech headers, I couldn't justify them. I wouldn't have been able to do all the other mods I've got now. And while some of you knock those of us who went with cheap knock-offs like the XS headers. I just installed them, after having them ceramic coated and ended up with a better mod than just Comtech headers alone.

Bottom Line, there are folks who are happy with their Timex, as long as it's reliable and don't care if it's not a Rolex. And more power to you if you can truely afford the Rolex.

FWIW, here are my mods to date so that you can see that I'm mod friendly, but have to manage it on a budget.

02 WDP TLS w/ Black Interior
1/4 mile: 14.46 @96.07MPH (pre headers, are 14.00 or better possible?)
17x7" Konig Appeals SMF
P225/45ZR-17 Bridgestone RE960 AS
(Ziex 512s for track use only on base Appeals)
Comptech Sways & Springs
Comptech Icebox w/RAM Air
Mugen Cooling Mods
Thermoblok
NEO Anti Freeze
NEO Oil 5w-20
Formula 1 Millennium 28% tint
XS Headers - Cerama Chrome Coated
Pending -
Innovative Motor Mounts
Diamond Slotted Rotors
BBTB
UR Pullies?
Struts - KYB or Tokico?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

so is there any updates on the testers? have there been plenums sent out yet? pretty eager to see some results. i would step forward for a tester, but i would never pay just to be a guinea pig
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Racer

I will pay around $200 tops to volunteer, I would have to pay churchs to tune and dyno,and they are not cheap.. thats of course if I get to keep the plenums and they do produce the expected numbers..
Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Ruf87
Don't get me wrong, I'm a "all go no show" kind of guy, like you I'm more interested in performance than appearance. I do think these look incredible under the hood.

I am an XS header guy too, I just couldn't justify the extra $1000 for the comptechs when we had a good low cost alternative.

The difference here is there is no low cost alternative. Believe me I am modding on a budget too, if I wasn't, I would be posting on NSXprime about how comfortable my recaro seats are and how much more power I have with my comptech supercharger in my 2005 NSX (FTR I don't have an NSX, damn budget).

I definitely wouldn't call these inexpensive, but I wouldn't say they are overpriced either.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Just like black label & ruf87, I also agree with the performance before appearance. Hell, my car has more scratches & dings than anything. However, I also am on the damn budget as far as mods go, so I need to really check, double check, etc etc before I spend some hard earned $$$. BUT, although these might be expensive (especially to yours truly here), I would save & scrounge in order to get these in the future so I'll be lurking around just to see what transpires next....and yeah, XS headers are also in the works for me for my next mod...
Ruf87: You mentioned KYB or Tokico...there's someone on the BM selling some Tokicos for a good price (about $250 I think..).
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Lead Footed

Ruf87
Don't get me wrong, I'm a "all go no show" kind of guy, like you I'm more interested in performance than appearance. I do think these look incredible under the hood.

I am an XS header guy too, I just couldn't justify the extra $1000 for the comptechs when we had a good low cost alternative.

The difference here is there is no low cost alternative. Believe me I am modding on a budget too, if I wasn't, I would be posting on NSXprime about how comfortable my recaro seats are and how much more power I have with my comptech supercharger in my 2005 NSX (FTR I don't have an NSX, damn budget).

I definitely wouldn't call these inexpensive, but I wouldn't say they are overpriced either.
No Worries, I was just clarifing my position. If I had more $$ to blow, I'd opt for quality 90+ percent of the time. The bottom line is that most any mod for these cars will be higher because of supply and demand. There are just more guys modding Civics, Accords, Chevys, Fords, etc than CL/TLs. I remember when a highend set of headers for my small block Chevy was $175 vs $100 for basic cheapos and thought $75 extra was a bit much, but in the long run worth it.

Oh well, I just hope the numbers come and prices drop a bit. Sort of like the motor mount topic. The first guys to get them paid about $400 for a front and rear set. Now we're talking about $325 for a set, that includes the side mount.

Ruf
Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Batosai
Just like black label & ruf87, I also agree with the performance before appearance. Hell, my car has more scratches & dings than anything. However, I also am on the damn budget as far as mods go, so I need to really check, double check, etc etc before I spend some hard earned $$$. BUT, although these might be expensive (especially to yours truly here), I would save & scrounge in order to get these in the future so I'll be lurking around just to see what transpires next....and yeah, XS headers are also in the works for me for my next mod...
Ruf87: You mentioned KYB or Tokico...there's someone on the BM selling some Tokicos for a good price (about $250 I think..).
I can relate to the scratches and dings.

And thanks for the tip on the Tokicos. The DFW locals like the Tiens, but I'd need a nice $$ windfall before I could go with those.

Ruf
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by RUF87
I can relate to the scratches and dings.

And thanks for the tip on the Tokicos. The DFW locals like the Tiens, but I'd need a nice $$ windfall before I could go with those.

Ruf
Keep checking the black market for those teins, I scored my SS coil overs with pillow mounts at a price that was less than $100 more than Basics would have been new.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

^^Timed out before I could edit....

And back on topic, some one's got to step up. There's got to be a kid living at home with a decent job and low overhead who can get this done. I could buy the part, but it would take me month's to find the time to get the dyno's done and by that time the CL will have gone into hibernation for the winter. One thing I know for sure is that when it wakes up from it's long winter rest, it will be hungry for a billet intake manifold.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Uses turn signals in my

I tried to call up Sean at P2R today, but wasn't able to get a hold of anyone. I pmed him to see if there was phone issue or something.

I have to find out the total costs of everything to make sure I can afford it for sure before I go ahead with being a tester.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I tried to call up Sean at P2R today, but wasn't able to get a hold of anyone. I pmed him to see if there was phone issue or something.

I have to find out the total costs of everything to make sure I can afford it for sure before I go ahead with being a tester.

why not just talk to josh @ excelerate. he is the guy setting everything up. i already have paid for a set of these and i am currently waiting for them to be hand made, and i will be doing numerous dyno tests.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by CleanCL
why not just talk to josh @ excelerate. he is the guy setting everything up. i already have paid for a set of these and i am currently waiting for them to be hand made, and i will be doing numerous dyno tests.
Will do, the reason I called up P2R first is because they are local.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PowerRev -

I got a question that is a little off base but still on the same subject because this would be a part more or less needed in order to get the most gains possible. This 80mm throttle body you are using on the j30 civic. Did you guys make that, or where did you get it??? I am assuming this bolts up fine to the j32....

On another note Excelerate and PowerRev, I may be in a position to test the plenums out. My mods are below. AFC is not in the near future, but I would be willing to test, and dyno, when I have the time which may not be as soon as you want. Just trying to help get the ball rollin here. let me know.....
Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Only CL in town!

i was also wondering about the 80 mm throttle body? How much & where. Ive concidered trying to be a tester but i dont have my neo installed yet & i dont have time for this to get done quickly to get tge results back.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

I think if you just bolt up a 80mm TB to a non FI car it won't do too much. I think you might lose some hp. 80mm TB on a FI car will make a differance.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON
I think if you just bolt up a 80mm TB to a non FI car it won't do too much. I think you might lose some hp. 80mm TB on a FI car will make a differance.
As CleanCL pointed out earlier in this thread "one thing i note on this, you can only intake as much as the throttle body allows. the higher capacity does not necessarily mean more flow, it just means more air in a given space. typically the larger the area, the slower air moves." Which is more or less what you are saying, and I agree with that. But to take full advantage of the bigger plenums, I would think you would want to go with a bigger if not just a bored out throttle body plus AFC and a tune to get the full potential of these plenums.

What would be nice to see is if someone could get there hands on a 80mm TB and do a TB comparison dyno with the plenums installed....stock TB vs. 80mm TB and see what the efffect is, if any.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Instructor

We didn't make the 80mm throttle body. We made an adaptor to bolt it up on our J intake manifold. Its actually an aftermarket throttle body for a mustang. I can make more adaptors if you guys are interested in them, however, you will have to rewire your TPS sensor, and modify your throttle cable.

Also on the Plenums. I will have all the test versions done early next week, but they will not ship until late next week, as I have to take them to get anodized as soon as I finish them.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 AM

We didn't make the 80mm throttle body. We made an adaptor to bolt it up on our J intake manifold. Its actually an aftermarket throttle body for a mustang. I can make more adaptors if you guys are interested in them, however, you will have to rewire your TPS sensor, and modify your throttle cable.

Also on the Plenums. I will have all the test versions done early next week, but they will not ship until late next week, as I have to take them to get anodized as soon as I finish them.
So what do you mean anodized? Color? What if someone wanted these pieces raw to polish?

Also, what do you think the volume in cc's of these chambers are stock and the new ones? If I may suggest using some water to fill these chambers up and seeing how much went in Might need a beaker and such.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

i have a question... why not just make a spacer for the factory plenums,similar to the tb spacer ?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by typeR
i have a question... why not just make a spacer for the factory plenums,similar to the tb spacer ?

^^^^^ Good point, that would have the same effect and be much cheaper, which a lot of people want
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
thanks for making me feel stupid. the front plenum i think would be fine, but the rear one is pretty tight w/ the IMRC back there... how about the billet plenums AND spacers....
Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
So what do you mean anodized? Color?
Black, at least thats what I was told
Old 10-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Instructor

You can't just make a spacer for the factory plenums, as you will then hit the valve covers. Yes it would be cheaper, but it will not clear unless they area really small. The way we were able to make these bigger while still clearing valve covers and hood, is that we kept them big towards the outside, where as factory rounded theres in. And we kept it going straight as far as we could until we saw clearance issues.

Since these are being made on a small level right now. I can not send them all for anodizing if someone would like to get one raw. It will not be an issue.

Quick Reply: P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums