P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 AM
Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batosai
Since my mods come to my car at a slow pace due to my financial situation (mortgage,kids,etc,etc), I myself will definitely add this mod on my "mod list" However, as the adage goes, "gotta pay to play" seems to apply here folks....

gc86: Hope you don't mind if I contact you when I have a few inquiries at some point in the upcoming months about some of your mods....
np, just lmk.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 AM
Advance

Originally Posted by BigLizard
Sounds like you're being a little hypocriticle when in your own thread your asking about what else you can put on your engine to get more power.

EDIT: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192128
I was simply asking what else can be done in that thread, thats all. How is that hypocriticle? 1whp per 100 dollars is ridiculous, im sure theres a lot of people that would agree with me.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Instructor

gc86, you said it all when you said:

"according to them you gain 32whp at 6600rpm"

If you are referring to Comptech, you need to read the fine print on the website.
When you click on CL for dyno charts, it says 2001 CL Type S Header and Mufflers.
This is the complete Comptech exhaust system, not just the headers........

If you have any questions on the results, please feel free to contact Nate@Comptech, I am sure he explain it to you.

I am not going to split hairs with you on pricing because if you read closely, I said on the money to hp ratio.......I feel, not that the industry standard is..........
Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I thnk that is a pretty dam good price for billet aluminum IM...the maxima guys are paying $1000 for there IM and they arent even gainin HP so i thnk this is gr8
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by L's TL
I thnk that is a pretty dam good price for billet aluminum IM...the maxima guys are paying $1000 for there IM and they arent even gainin HP so i thnk this is gr8
then the maxima guys are retards, i agree with both sides here,you gotta pay to play but 600!! and the maxima guys are paying 1k for the whole manifold not 50 dollar plenums! and doesnt the supplier of the raw t-6 or whatever other aluminum your using give you credit when you bring back the cncd shavings and blocks? thats how it works for the flywheels and they get huge credits so there cost is not as outrageous as it first appears.....$600?? maybe with 10+ horses untuned 15 tuned... what if we all send you our throttle bodies and you give them a nice port and polish for $650,that would be a nice combo deal? of course we would pay shipping
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
When the product is released I will make up some package prices but if you feel it is too expensive don't buy it. As P2R said this would be for those members looking for the last mod to do after the bolt ons.

I have 2 test subjects. What I really need is a CL-S M/T w/ bolt ons. Who has one that is willing to be the first and willing to do a pre and post dyno with the product?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna have to back out of being a test subject for these plenums as well. Someone else should chime in and fill in the spot for the A/T test subject.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Im going to test a pair, but my car does not really count......

We will know what kind of power you will pick up on a Turbocharged auto though........
Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Advance

I too am backing out for the A/T guinea pig position.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not giving up on these, but i'll try the forced induction route first and if that doesn't work out for me then i'll go back to NA and try this out again.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the price for billet aluminum if i am not mistaken has gone up in pricing along with the increase in other metal recently?

your buying a X by X CHUNK of metal and CNC milling....that is expensive folks.

It has been PROVEN to add power and its custom....so for the price..not bad.

A full legend pulley set(4) cost a total of $400 for probably a similiar gain. so think about it.

good luck and i hope to see more custom pieces made for the j-series
Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Racer

any comments?

we all want custom pieces for our whips(j32s), and yes it should entitle the seller to implement a premium on the parts due to the lack of commercial performance parts for us, but when you break down the cost per hp its a bit steep. we are in the az forum because most of us cant afford to be in the bmw or eurobenz forums ..I own 2 mbzs and I am in a better financial situation than most people but my heads not in the clouds,I do use blocks of aluminum for some of our company needs and believe me I return the unused portions for credit because it really helps,the costly part is the cnc programming,maybe if we can get enough people on here that can put a reserve to commit to the purchase at a lower price, then the vendor-maker can substantially lower costs to us the consumers....??? accellerate please comment,I am interested but the price is a tad high..
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Well...it's kinda fast...

Not trying to be an ass, but bitching about the cost right now is ridiculous. THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TESTED AND DYNOED YET. Before prices were disclosed, everyone and there momma wanted a set and volunteered to be the guinea pig. Now that the price has been announced no one wants to step up

I made sure not to volunteer immediately because I didn't know the cost nor the gains associated with this mod. I'm not one to be the guinea pig for a new product, I'm realistic. My point is, all you guys bitching about cost per HP shouldn't have volunteered in the first place if you weren't willing to pay to play (within reason) and $600-$650 is reasonable, again, if they prove to produce significant results (10+ whp).

Again, not trying to be an ass but c'mon. What were you realistically expecting 2 cnc machined billet aluminum, NON MASS PRODUCED IM plenums to cost? Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Let the flames commence...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 PM
B A N N E D

hey josh do you need a local TL test subject
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by S1CK TypeS
hey josh do you need a local TL test subject
oh yea i have the following mods
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Advance

Originally Posted by 2CLean
Not trying to be an ass, but bitching about the cost right now is ridiculous. THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TESTED AND DYNOED YET. Before prices were disclosed, everyone and there momma wanted a set and volunteered to be the guinea pig. Now that the price has been announced no one wants to step up

I made sure not to volunteer immediately because I didn't know the cost nor the gains associated with this mod. I'm not one to be the guinea pig for a new product, I'm realistic. My point is, all you guys bitching about cost per HP shouldn't have volunteered in the first place if you weren't willing to pay to play (within reason) and $600-$650 is reasonable, again, if they prove to produce significant results (10+ whp).

Again, not trying to be an ass but c'mon. What were you realistically expecting 2 cnc machined billet aluminum, NON MASS PRODUCED IM plenums to cost? Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Let the flames commence...
From my experience, when a manufacturer chooses guinea pigs to test their product and report back with dyno proven results, the mod or part is usually free or sold at a very reduced price.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gc86
From my experience, when a manufacturer chooses guinea pigs to test their product and report back with dyno proven results, the mod or part is usually free or sold at a very reduced price.
x2!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 AM

Seriously I would do it if I got the parts for free or maybe liek a $100, but its all relative, its no less annoying to hear people bitch about prices as it is to hear those bitch about those people.

As I said if I decide that my SC kit isn't worth it for me, then i'll stay NA and reallocate the money to a FW/CK and these plenum chambers.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2CLean

like I said most people on here are NOT in the economic position to dish out $650 or whatever plus tax and shipping,Ummm,lets say $700 for 5-10 horses! for that price they can get porting and polishing done and gain more than 5-10hp, I know you had to stick your in the conversation but I also suggested a package deal or a mass group buy to bring the cost down,hey if they wanna put a price tag of $600+ its perfectly acceptable to me but sales numbers will speak for themselves, I want a set of pretty plenums as much as the next guy but as a consumer the price is going to stop me from purchasing these. Now any other parts that they release and are reasonably priced I will gladly purchase and if they are a good product(s) I will gladly post positive rep..
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Seriously I would do it if I got the parts for free or maybe liek a $100, but its all relative, its no less annoying to hear people bitch about prices as it is to hear those bitch about those people.

As I said if I decide that my SC kit isn't worth it for me, then i'll stay NA and reallocate the money to a FW/CK and these plenum chambers.
I can vouch for nick(accord400....), I say they give him the plenums at least as a loaner and if the results are+ and his testimonial produces sales maybe even letting him keep them. then he can give them to me
Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Advance

Originally Posted by cl8trr
I can vouch for nick(accord400....), I say they give him the plenums at least as a loaner and if the results are+ and his testimonial produces sales maybe even letting him keep them. then he can give them to me
x2, if I was to test the plenums I would do a full dyno tune with before and after charts to see exactly how much power could be extracted from these plenums. My cars already fully set up with practically every bolt on and a AFC to tune.

But to charge a test subject pretty close to regular price? no thanks

edit: not to mention its only costing the manufactuer 2 sets of these plenums, 1 for a AT and 1 for a MT. That's not bad considering they are getting dyno sheets that are legit on 2 totally different cars where forum members can actually see gains, as people have said before "show me the gains and i'll show you the cash"
Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by gc86
x2, if I was to test the plenums I would do a full dyno tune with before and after charts to see exactly how much power could be extracted from these plenums. My cars already fully set up with practically every bolt on and a AFC to tune.

But to charge a test subject pretty close to regular price? no thanks

edit: not to mention its only costing the manufactuer 2 sets of these plenums, 1 for a AT and 1 for a MT. That's not bad considering they are getting dyno sheets that are legit on 2 totally different cars where forum members can actually see gains, as people have said before "show me the gains and i'll show you the cash"
Seriously if I can do some sort of security deposit to ensure that I actually dyno I probably wil get these. Plus I just don't have that much money at this moment anyhow.

I could do a dyno/tune before and after to see what the gains are. I'll be doing it at Church's too, and they're a very reputable shop, he does all sorts of research and work for vtec.net and just everyone in general.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:07 AM
Advance

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Seriously if I can do some sort of security deposit to ensure that I actually dyno I probably wil get these. Plus I just don't have that much money at this moment anyhow.

I could do a dyno/tune before and after to see what the gains are. I'll be doing it at Church's too, and they're a very reputable shop, he does all sorts of research and work for vtec.net and just everyone in general.
2x i'd do a security deposit also to ensure before and after dyno sheets. I would be getting tuned by DSR in san jose, they are used by a lot of people on honda tech. So its another reputable shop like Church's
Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
if i had $600 to drop i would easily get these...i personally dont have a problem wit the price because the guy sed the gains were there untuned nad with only one bolt on...but like most ppl on here i cant just pull $600 out the ass lol
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
what i think you guys are missing is the fact that this HAS shown gains. josh would not put his rep and his company's rep on the line for a product that isn't legit. so far people to go around complaining about the price, AND especially complaining about getting it at a discounted price for being a tester, and not getting it for free... well that's just unfair.

also what you guys need to realize is that this type of modification will bring a gain of hp across almost the entire RPM band. also it will be more beneficial with more mods. so rather than certain modifications such as headers which remain somewhat useless in low rpms, we may be seeing 10-15whp AND torque across the whole band. IMO - that's well worth the price tag.

honestly, their not going to drop the price drastically, so why even bother continue making posts about it? if you can't afford, that's not our problem. do not defer this company from making parts for our cars because YOU can't afford it. some of the more serious people will throw up money to get power. i'm not trying to be mean, but there's really no point in arguing over the price. it is what it is, if you don't like it, don't buy it, but those who do will have more power. :shrugs:
Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
what i think you guys are missing is the fact that this HAS shown gains. josh would not put his rep and his company's rep on the line for a product that isn't legit. so far people to go around complaining about the price, AND especially complaining about getting it at a discounted price for being a tester, and not getting it for free... well that's just unfair.

also what you guys need to realize is that this type of modification will bring a gain of hp across almost the entire RPM band. also it will be more beneficial with more mods. so rather than certain modifications such as headers which remain somewhat useless in low rpms, we may be seeing 10-15whp AND torque across the whole band. IMO - that's well worth the price tag.

honestly, their not going to drop the price drastically, so why even bother continue making posts about it? if you can't afford, that's not our problem. do not defer this company from making parts for our cars because YOU can't afford it. some of the more serious people will throw up money to get power. i'm not trying to be mean, but there's really no point in arguing over the price. it is what it is, if you don't like it, don't buy it, but those who do will have more power. :shrugs:
then dish out the cash. Lets see, $700 roughly plus tune? wow thats over $1k and its unproven you will attain 10-15hp across the whole power band...but theres no use in arguing with this guy..I bet his knees are tore up!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

This was already dynoed at 6whp on a bone stock CL-S M/T (it had an intake). He made the 6whp at 5k and above. If you had headers and exhaust the gains will probably increase a few whp to maybe 10whp. I don't have the torque figures. I am getting the dyno after.

The manufacturer has already fitted the product and dynoed it. The only reason we have agreed to do a few introductory sets is to generate some interest in the product and get others to dyno it to prove it to yourselves. If the cost is too much for you individually then don't buy it. The manufacturer can't do anything about the cost of raw materials and it takes time to make them.

What I can't understand is everyone wants more products for the J-series and everyone claims there isn't support for it. Now we have a manufacturer that is introducing new products for a dead platform and ppl are up in arms. This is why companies aren't producing products anymore. It takes time, R&D, money to make new products. So why make new products if the market is dying and ppl aren't willing to spend anymore?

And the introductory price is $510 shipped. You could easily install it yourself in half an hour. So as of right now I have 1 test subject and another who's interested. I really need a M/T CL-S if possible. If no one else comes through we'll have to do with the one we have. And there won't be introductory pricing later; it will at least be another $100 so please keep this in mind.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, just here so....how's about we all just relax, & breathe....lol
Seriously though, I myself can see both sides to this issue and think it be better for everyone to just exercise some patience & see what transpires next. Sure the price is steep, the product is it's infant stages, etc etc etc...but to those that are indeed fortunate (read: with the readily available funds, wilingness to participate, etc etc yada yada...unfortunately my car doesn't qualify as test car, nor my WALLET... ) then go right on ahead and proceed with your plans. I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in knowing what the findings would be whether it's good or not. Bottom line to me personally would be, if it is what it is & all is said & done, if it's affordable GREAT, if not....then we move on and see if it could be a mod we can hope to get in the future As someone stated previously, there's not too much aftermarket support for our cars & when some manufacturer comes along with a product, then we should just feel lucky....hell, if we really wanted a car that has a lot that can be done to it as far as aftermarket stuff, then we'd all get Civics (not dissing the Civic crowd). Ok, I've rambled on like the old man that I am so I'll shut the hell up now.....PEACE!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Price is more than I was expecting, but still plenty reasonable!

I plan to get in contact with PowerRev next week, since I am local to see what we can work out. I just need to get a hold of an Apexi Neo (or whatever is best recommended).

I would have contacted him this week, but school has been busting my balls (thats what you got to do, when your pretty much getting paid to go school!- scholarships FTW).
Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
Price is more than I was expecting, but still plenty reasonable!

I plan to get in contact with PowerRev next week, since I am local to see what we can work out. I just need to get a hold of an Apexi Neo (or whatever is best recommended).

I would have contacted him this week, but school has been busting my balls (thats what you got to do, when your pretty much getting paid to go school!- scholarships FTW).
Let me know if you want to be a test subject. If you want I can probably get Sean to give you a pre and post dyno for free. Probably not a free tune but at least the dyno.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Batosai
Ok, just here so....how's about we all just relax, & breathe....lol
Seriously though, I myself can see both sides to this issue and think it be better for everyone to just exercise some patience & see what transpires next. Sure the price is steep, the product is it's infant stages, etc etc etc...but to those that are indeed fortunate (read: with the readily available funds, wilingness to participate, etc etc yada yada...unfortunately my car doesn't qualify as test car, nor my WALLET... ) then go right on ahead and proceed with your plans. I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in knowing what the findings would be whether it's good or not. Bottom line to me personally would be, if it is what it is & all is said & done, if it's affordable GREAT, if not....then we move on and see if it could be a mod we can hope to get in the future As someone stated previously, there's not too much aftermarket support for our cars & when some manufacturer comes along with a product, then we should just feel lucky....hell, if we really wanted a car that has a lot that can be done to it as far as aftermarket stuff, then we'd all get Civics (not dissing the Civic crowd). Ok, I've rambled on like the old man that I am so I'll shut the hell up now.....PEACE!
has anybody considered making these out of another material and possibly casting them?? that would cut the cost to1/4th!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Originally Posted by cl8trr
has anybody considered making these out of another material and possibly casting them?? that would cut the cost to1/4th!!!
Seems like a good option, or why not give the buyer the option of either getting the original design with the original material used or a cast one for less $$$, sounds like a plan no?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Let me know if you want to be a test subject. If you want I can probably get Sean to give you a pre and post dyno for free. Probably not a free tune but at least the dyno.
I will let you know when I make sure I want to be .
Old 10-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So much bitching about the cost, for the people who can't afford it, just STFU, stand back and watch.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

So much bitching about the cost, for the people who can't afford it, just STFU, stand back and watch.
Not bitchin' 'bout the cost...just can't afford it for now....lmao
Definitely will not STFU, but will stand back & watch...that ok by you?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Advance

Watching

Hopefully it turns out to be a great mod and yes you need to tune it with the NEO depending if this mod changes AFR greatly.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
co-sign.

this is the same b!tch debate about XS headers vs. CT headers. If you quality parts, pay to play, if you want 'em, get 'em. not that hard. i wish i could go through with being a test subject, but quite frankly, i'm more interested in going FI.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by brianlin87
co-sign.

this is the same b!tch debate about XS headers vs. CT headers. If you quality parts, pay to play, if you want 'em, get 'em. not that hard. i wish i could go through with being a test subject, but quite frankly, i'm more interested in going FI.

sorry for the rant guys but I get sick when you guys have a pretty decent car yet want to put BS parts on it. If you BS parts you should have bought a Civic and stayed away from the CL.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Racer

the argument is that most people on here cant afford it!

you are right,$700 plus tuning,lets say 1200 is not a great deal of money but I am throwing out doable options to not only help out the AZ members(they are afterall the most important thing) that only brings home that amount every two to three weeks but to help out the vendor with ideas to be able to actually sell the product and not have it sitting on the shelf or as a dead project, afterall you wont have any profit revs. without customers! Some moderators on here need to chill with the attitude and power trips and step out of the box and ground themselves for a few!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I guess people just can't comprehend the cost of Billet aluminum and the time involved in R&D and manufacturing each piece.

The price is what the price is; can't afford it? Save up some cash for a few more months.

However, given the trend in the ownership of these cars I would advise companies producing products to keep in mind that the average age of people modding these cars is dropping every year. I've never seen more teenagers on this forum before. Teens aren't going to have as deep of pockets as the members here had just 2-3 years ago.

If this product was sold back in '03-'04 they would have flown off the shelves. Now, probably not so much. Gotta keep the demographic of your customer in mind.

Good luck guys.

Quick Reply: P2R Billet Intake Manifold Plenums