The motor mount thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by kik
Two of my mounts are bad (F & R) and I was thinking of replacing with a set of XLR8 mounts. From reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that:

A.) No-one makes better after-market motor mounts than XLR8 for the 2nd gen CL.

B.) XLR8 motor mounts should last longer than OEM because they don't have any moving (hydraulic) parts.

C.) XLR8 motor mounts (with 62a bushings) may cause a little bit of vibration, similar to when your OEM mounts are broken.

D.) A set of properly installed XLR8 motor mounts should correct the acceleration hesitation caused by broken motor mounts and possibly fix the idle dashboard vibration noises.

Am I correct? Anything else I should think about? I'd like to place my order soon...
No.

A) True.

B) Theoretically. Recent posts are showing that this may not be the case. Time will tell. Still, it's not looking good.

C) No, it will be a little worse. Depends on how bad the OEM mounts were broken. Either way, I doubt 62a will be softer than any OEM mount, regardless of condition.

D) These mounts will definitely help fix any performance issues from broken OEM mounts. They will NOT fix dash board rattles. They will make them worse.

If I were you, I would wait a little while for more people to chime in with reviews. Especially the 62a ones.
The following users liked this post:
kik (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Karanx7
No.

A) True.

B) Theoretically. Recent posts are showing that this may not be the case. Time will tell. Still, it's not looking good.

C) No, it will be a little worse. Depends on how bad the OEM mounts were broken. Either way, I doubt 62a will be softer than any OEM mount, regardless of condition.

D) These mounts will definitely help fix any performance issues from broken OEM mounts. They will NOT fix dash board rattles. They will make them worse.

If I were you, I would wait a little while for more people to chime in with reviews. Especially the 62a ones.
+1

when i put stock mounts back in car felt like whole different car... TBH with front and side poly filled i did not notice huge improvement in performance except that i had ALOT more vibrations and last few weeks worst... like XLR said 75a are not meant to be used for DD
kik (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by brian6speed
OH please. How many times do I have to say I didn't tell you anything and was asking questions. Can you read? Why do you think anyone asking any questions is a personal attack? People need to get over themselves and their egos. I am just trying to get answers. Please street put more words in my mouth for me.

You should never be 100% sure of anything in life, except the fact that you will die.
For a more senior member, you sure are asking stupid questions. An axle breaking would have nothing to do with instantaneous damage to a rear mount, unless it impaled it from the side or something.

You didn't ask if he poorly installed the mount. You flat out said it. With absolutely no evidence. It was clear that your bias in the issue was your only reasoning. That, or your doubting his install because his axle rusted, which doesn't correlate too well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Karanx7:
ABP_04TL (12-24-2011), StreetKA (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I don't see how a mount can be described as broken if the polyurethane bushing had a slight enlargening of the hole due to the sleeve rocking back and forth. That's not a broken mount. That's a bushing that needs to be replaced, which can easily be done.

Out of the 120+ mount sets I've sold thus far between the 2nd and 3rd gen TL there has only been 1 other person who needed a replacement bushing and he was extremely aggressive with his 3rd gen TL. He went through multiple sets of bushings in months with his Innovative mounts. Once he switched to our mounts he need one pair of bushings once after a long time. Our bushings are far more durable than the bushings Innovative uses. I don't think 1 person having an issue on one mount is cause for concern. Maybe the bushing was defective.

Either way a simple email to us to resolve the problem would have been appreciated rather than posting in the manner it was done.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I don't see how a mount can be described as broken if the polyurethane bushing had a slight enlargening of the hole due to the sleeve rocking back and forth. That's not a broken mount. That's a bushing that needs to be replaced, which can easily be done.

Out of the 120+ mount sets I've sold thus far between the 2nd and 3rd gen TL there has only been 1 other person who needed a replacement bushing and he was extremely aggressive with his 3rd gen TL. He went through multiple sets of bushings in months with his Innovative mounts. Once he switched to our mounts he need one pair of bushings once after a long time. Our bushings are far more durable than the bushings Innovative uses. I don't think 1 person having an issue on one mount is cause for concern. Maybe the bushing was defective.

Either way a simple email to us to resolve the problem would have been appreciated rather than posting in the manner it was done.
i was asked to post it by other members... i am extra busy last few days and i didn't get the chance to took the front one out and inspect it... so you think this bushing should be replaced every 5-10k miles ?? hmmm no thanks i will email you details tomorrow
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by StreetKA
i was asked to post it by other members... i am extra busy last few days and i didn't get the chance to took the front one out and inspect it... so you think this bushing should be replaced every 5-10k miles ?? hmmm no thanks i will email you details tomorrow
I didn't say the bushing needed to be replaced every 5-10k. I said it isn't a broken mount. A broken mount implies the welds are broken or the steel part snapped. Have you seen the Innovative bushings and how large the hole is when the bushing is shot? From your pictures the center hole didn't enlargen much. And if that bushing wasn't aggressive enough let us know and we will send you another bushing.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Broken mount it means to me that it doesnt hold engine properly anymore not that metal bracket is broken like when oem mounts go you say they are broken right ? The rubber breaks and fuild leaks not the metal part. Right ? Side mount looks ok but keep in mind that i got it delivered on later time. I still have not touched front mount yet. As soon as i do i will give you guys a feedback. TBH i wish this is the only example of the bushing failure we gonna experience. I am parting out my car that was the main reason to take them out but i noticed that i had a lot more vibrations inside the car and everything was rattling and resonating. For anyone that drives this car daily i would recommend 62a bushings instead.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
what about that 90a insert? im waiting on that and i still need to send u back one front mount for a side mount. i got 2 front mounts
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
I heard the 90a was like nessie.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i need something stiff. i dont mind the vibrations
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
I think im getting the XLR8s soon
Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Josh - I picked up the side mount from Pauls place. Expect pictures regarding the fitment issues this week.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
For a more senior member, you sure are asking stupid questions. An axle breaking would have nothing to do with instantaneous damage to a rear mount, unless it impaled it from the side or something.

You didn't ask if he poorly installed the mount. You flat out said it. With absolutely no evidence. It was clear that your bias in the issue was your only reasoning. That, or your doubting his install because his axle rusted, which doesn't correlate too well.
You are making assumptions based on thinking you know everything and what I was thinking/meant and obviously miss the point of a question mark also. First off I was asking if it was installed correctly and by alignment I meant if the xlr8 mounts fit properly not that he installed wrong. I never type anything based on 100 percent certainty. You are the one making it a certainty in your own head. You are also claiming I am biased toward excelerate I guess but again you are wrong. I just want to know the truth.I am pretty much done posting on this site don't worry. Nothing happens here anyway. Funny how you try to help forum yet never get thanked but only attacked.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Josh - I picked up the side mount from Pauls place. Expect pictures regarding the fitment issues this week.
Update - I was taking a look at the mount and I noticed that the sleeve hole in the bushing was not drilled in the center, so it was holding the sleeve at an angle. I turned the bushing around and Ill attempt to install it once again sometime this week.

Are the side mount bushings supposed to be offset?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

Had to drill the front hole on the mount out about 1/8" for it to fit properly.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i emailed excelerate and hopefully i will be able to get the right mounts soon. and hopefully he has the 90a inserts. if not, 75a it is
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Still no more reviews on the 62a mounts? I'm going to rent a car for a day to get mine installed.

TBH, I don't even feel like being bothered with the rear mount and I still don't see how to access the rear bolt on the front mount (well, to properly torque it).
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Installed for over a year, going strong. No breakage of anything.
With adding the radius rod bushings I'm really enjoying the way this car drives when pushed hard.

Still have to occasionally tighten things up. Like recently the gauge bezel trim due to a rattle. The 75a mounts are stiff. Plain and simple. Not for the faint of heart. Doesn't bother me at all as my sole purpose when modding is for performance gains. I'm not too concerned with increased levels of nvh.
Id wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by SlickShiftNall6; 03-08-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Thats interesting that you say that. How many miles did u put on the car since you installed them ? My mounts were shot last time i checked it and i put the stock one back on the side was still ok though but i recieved it in the later time due to the wrong shipment. The rear was shot and front too. I spoke with civicdrivr and he told me that it seems like his mounts are gone too. I was very busy last few weeks and i didnt have time to contact Josh about it but i def will.

Last edited by StreetKA; 03-08-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SlickShiftNall6
With adding the radius rod bushings I'm really enjoying the way this car drives when pushed hard.

Still have to occasionally tighten things up. Like recently the gauge bezel trim due to a rattle. The 75a mounts are stiff. Plain and simple. Not for the faint of heart. Doesn't bother me at all as my sole purpose when modding is for performance gains. I'm not too concerned with increased levels of nvh.
agreed... so far so good, even have the same same rattles lol... what u replace the stock radius rod bushings with... interested lol
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by XxXboboXxX
agreed... so far so good, even have the same same rattles lol... what u replace the stock radius rod bushings with... interested lol
I went with the energy suspension bushings from the accord that fits. Its a nice upgrade.
Check the the radius rod thread for more info.

Street- I've put about 10-12k in the last year. A few months after install I pulled the side mount out to replace my p/s pump that failed and saw no ill affects of hard driving on the bushings. I might have to go the extra mile and pull all the mounts out for inspection when I due my tbelt service. Will post pics and update if and when I do so.

All I can think of is that you and civicdrivr are putting down way more power then me. I dyno'ed 245, since then I've only done pulleys, plugs and chassis stiffeners. I assume to be in the mid 250 range. You guys are close to 300. You might have hit the limit on the 75a bushings. I mean civic is shredding axles and you have motor problems from that power. I'm still rolling with balding rubber. So I'm still not putting all my power down.
XxXboboXxX (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

I went with the energy suspension bushings from the accord that fits. Its a nice upgrade.
Check the the radius rod thread for more info.

Street- I've put about 10-12k in the last year. A few months after install I pulled the side mount out to replace my p/s pump that failed and saw no ill affects of hard driving on the bushings. I might have to go the extra mile and pull all the mounts out for inspection when I due my tbelt service. Will post pics and update if and when I do so.

All I can think of is that you and civicdrivr are putting down way more power then me. I dyno'ed 245, since then I've only done pulleys, plugs and chassis stiffeners. I assume to be in the mid 250 range. You guys are close to 300. You might have hit the limit on the 75a bushings. I mean civic is shredding axles and you have motor problems from that power. I'm still rolling with balding rubber. So I'm still not putting all my power down.
sounds good.. any signs that they were worn? or just swapped to upgrade..
Old 03-08-2012, 01:17 PM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree 100%!!! The only thing I like about the 75a mounts is they haven't broke yet. They're definitely is some vibration but I guess it's worth it vs to break oem mounts. I just saw mine yesterday when I was cleaning the engine bay and under the car working on the exhaust the other day. Mine are all perfectly fine.

As for the radius rod bushings don't even get me started on those lmao. I installed a set of brand new oem ones back in a week ago because I hated the moog ones they caused vibration and squeaking. I love the way it feels back to oem ones now.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

My front and rear bushings are seeing the same fate as the Innovative Mounts, theyve doughnut'ed. Im running the 75A set, both torque dampers in factory locations, and the Stiffy mount. I checked them a few weeks ago, at which point they had 5-6k miles on them.

I dont think the 75A can handle the power Im putting down, the agressive clutch, or sticky tires. Im sending an email to Josh now to find out about the 90A bushings. If I cant get them, Ill get the 75A replacements and swap the OEM mounts back in - at least I could get ~25k miles out of those.

At the moment Im just over 300 at the wheels, and I plan to be nearing mid-300s by Spring time.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 03-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
My front and rear bushings are seeing the same fate as the Innovative Mounts, theyve doughnut'ed. Im running the 75A set, both torque dampers in factory locations, and the Stiffy mount. I checked them a few weeks ago, at which point they had 5-6k miles on them.

I dont think the 75A can handle the power Im putting down, the agressive clutch, or sticky tires. Im sending an email to Josh now to find out about the 90A bushings. If I cant get them, Ill get the 75A replacements and swap the OEM mounts back in - at least I could get ~25k miles out of those.

At the moment Im just over 300 at the wheels, and I plan to be nearing mid-300s by Spring time.
You should get the innovative vertical designed front mount 85a. Ive had mine for over a year and about 20k miles and there is almost no donuting. Even my back mount seems to be holding up very good . Its just the horizontal design is very easy to warp. The vertical design is much better in my opinion. I also have no dampers and my motor does not budge when i rev it.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

im gonna put my mounts on this weekend, just the front and back bc i didnt get a side but got another front one and excelerate said he sent me a "call tag" so i can ship out the other mount and get the right one back. can anyone tell me where i find this "call tag" or what i have to do?

also he still doesnt have the 90a mounts which im kinda disappointed in. and my nrg torque dampner bracket broke. the two flanges on the bottom snapped off, i think bc of torque. im gonna email them about that too.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM

If he still doesnt have 90A bushings I guess Im going back to OEM polyfilled mounts
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rajca
im gonna put my mounts on this weekend, just the front and back bc i didnt get a side but got another front one and excelerate said he sent me a "call tag" so i can ship out the other mount and get the right one back. can anyone tell me where i find this "call tag" or what i have to do?

also he still doesnt have the 90a mounts which im kinda disappointed in. and my nrg torque dampner bracket broke. the two flanges on the bottom snapped off, i think bc of torque. im gonna email them about that too.
Call tags are emailed to you. It would be in your inbox or spam folder.

I've been trying to get 90A bushings for a long time now; they are hard to come by. Additional bushings can be difficult to source as most of the bushings are allocated for new mounts by the fabricator. As soon as we get 90A bushings I will send them to you.

And there are 2 members saying the bushings have elongated. Please send pictures to me at sales@excelerateperformance.com

I have 200+ of the mounts sets between the 2G and 3G platform in the field and I've only had 1 person so far elongate bushings. So I'd be interested to see a picture of what you have.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by reese8789
You should get the innovative vertical designed front mount 85a. Ive had mine for over a year and about 20k miles and there is almost no donuting. Even my back mount seems to be holding up very good . Its just the horizontal design is very easy to warp. The vertical design is much better in my opinion. I also have no dampers and my motor does not budge when i rev it.
How would I know if I am buying the vertical design one? Would I just call innovative direct and ask for the vertical design front for the 01-03 cl?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
How would I know if I am buying the vertical design one? Would I just call innovative direct and ask for the vertical design front for the 01-03 cl?
yes just call them and specify that you want the auto cl vertical design front mount and the 6 speed rear mount.The side mount dont matter they are the same for both.
brian6speed (03-29-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Bracket not flush with mount

Sent you an email Josh. Wondering if you can help me with something.

Are the rear mounts from a automatic and front mounts from a automatic/manual a different height still?

Last edited by nob0dey; 03-22-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Pro

I finally put in the front and side mounts. Vibration caught me by surprise at first, but I got used to them/they've kinda broken in. I can definitely tell a difference..I'm loving the better throttle response. My front one's top could move up and down like a piston once I got it off. It was definitely ripped.

Quick question though: Should the thru-bolts for the front/rear be torqued to something specifically?

Last edited by Neejay; 03-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Neejay
I finally put in the front and side mounts. Vibration caught me by surprise at first, but I got used to them/they've kinda broken in. I can definitely tell a difference..I'm loving the better throttle response. My front one's top could move up and down like a piston once I got it off. It was definitely ripped.

Quick question though: Should the thru-bolts for the front/rear be torqued to something specifically?
We recommend 35-40 ft lbs of torque.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
We recommend 35-40 ft lbs of torque.
hmm...ok cool. Makes sense, since the side one is 40 ft/lbs. Thanks.

I'll put the rear one in at the same time that I install my replacement DC Sports header. I'll take a "cup of water on the dash" video too.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Lone Wolf

The vibration is pretty intense, so if you don't like vibration it should be easy to decide against these mounts. My car is completely gutted, yet the mount vibration is the most annoying part of my car. I don't mind it too much but everyone else will think your car is broken.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
The vibration is pretty intense, so if you don't like vibration it should be easy to decide against these mounts. My car is completely gutted, yet the mount vibration is the most annoying part of my car. I don't mind it too much but everyone else will think your car is broken.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
13.2@106mph G37 RWD Sedan

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^ x2
Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

any thoughts on the 62a? i really dont want to feel like im driving a pos car due to the vibrations
Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
any thoughts on the 62a? i really dont want to feel like im driving a pos car due to the vibrations
I don't think it will feel like a pos car, but it will definitely take any luxury out of the drive. You will feel the vibrations through the steering wheel for sure.

Has anyone tried a combo of XLR8 and OEM? Like XLR8 front and side mounts, with OEM rear mount. Using an OEM rear mount significantly helped the excessive innovate mount vibrations, maybe it can help this setup too.

Seeing that the OEM rear doesn't fail until the front and side aren't able to handle their load, it should hold up pretty well too.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM
Lone Wolf

I don't think it will feel like a pos car, but it will definitely take any luxury out of the drive. You will feel the vibrations through the steering wheel for sure.

Has anyone tried a combo of XLR8 and OEM? Like XLR8 front and side mounts, with OEM rear mount. Using an OEM rear mount significantly helped the excessive innovate mount vibrations, maybe it can help this setup too.

Seeing that the OEM rear doesn't fail until the front and side aren't able to handle their load, it should hold up pretty well too.
More than 1 person has already posted their experience doing this(oem rear). It reduces the vibration alot according to them.

Quick Reply: The motor mount thread