Left unlocked or break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left unlocked or break-in?

Went out this morning and the drivers door was slightly ajar, the hood was open to the first latch and the interior had been rifled through.

No visable marks or damage at all around the window frame, door frame or latch.

If properly locked (i always second click to the beep) can our cars be accessed or did I forget?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,221 Likes on 4,853 Posts
Sounds like a break in. Was anything missing? Im intrigued as to why the hood was popped if they didnt take anything.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
check ECU area if they move it or anything they may come back
Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Thats my fear - that they were just seeing whats involved before coming back for it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
In search of excitement

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Be careful man, I agree with drivr, sounds like a feeler run.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
that's scary just thinkning about it.. i'd steak out the car one night.. leave the door crackd open or window or something... lour them in and beat the fuck outta them with a few of ur boys....

see how long it takes him to break into a car with 2 broken hands... lol i aint even joking either
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Advanced

If I did lock it, how'd they manage to break in without setting off the alarm is what I'm wondering.

I'm not so deficient in worldly wisdom to think a 2002 CL/S is Fort Knox but I can't convince myself someone could get in without the horn and lights going off long enough to send me flying outa bed and grabbing my bat on the way out the door.

My gut says I left it unlocked and some shitrat just happened along trying doors.

The ECU access panel is under the coin tray, right? It's in place and so was the $17 in loons and toons that were in the tray. 5 mixed CD's that were in the console compartment were out on the pax seat and the Serengeti's that were with the CD's were still there. The glove box was open and the phone charger and 12 volt converter were left. The only thing taken was the cassette/iPod adapter that was in the console tray.

As to the hood I'm scratching my head over that. Maybe he thought about trying to get it started somehow and then chickened and ran.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

the car auto locks itself tho..at least mine does
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
You likely left it open.
I can tell you I can open a CL door with no marks easily.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Sounds like a break in. Was anything missing? Im intrigued as to why the hood was popped if they didnt take anything.
Might have thought it was the trunk release? Not everyone knows where the trunk button is if it isn't right by the gas door release.
The following users liked this post:
Stoianoff31 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by YVRCLR
If I did lock it, how'd they manage to break in without setting off the alarm is what I'm wondering.

I'm not so deficient in worldly wisdom to think a 2002 CL/S is Fort Knox but I can't convince myself someone could get in without the horn and lights going off long enough to send me flying outa bed and grabbing my bat on the way out the door.
That could be the reason your hood was popped.

Ive popped the hood and gotten to the battery on a car with a supposedly top of the line Viper alarm - without it going off.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
That could be the reason your hood was popped.

Ive popped the hood and gotten to the battery on a car with a supposedly top of the line Viper alarm - without it going off.
Hmmmmmm...very interesting indeed. hehe
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM

Long story....
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OakTre
Might have thought it was the trunk release? Not everyone knows where the trunk button is if it isn't right by the gas door release.
Thats probably what it was...cops were searching my car one time and had to ask where the trunk release button was...so alot of people wont find it on our car unless in bright daylight with time to look.

As for cd's being out of the passenger seat means that your car was ran though and luckily you had nothing worth stealing... probably one of those bougie thieves...

And if you did leave your door unlocked but not ajar it would of auto locked. It probably didnt close all the way...Just watch who's watching you now tho....

If you have a window facing your car...a great trick to deter criminals is to put a optical mouse up to the window and at night stick it in your computer...most thieves thinks it a video camera at night because of the red light ...it held us down until we were able to get a real camera out there...
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Former 6 speed crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy's CL was riffled through recently as well, he assumes he must not have locked it...
No damage... papers everywhere, change stolen along with his tire pressure gauge (His rear middle compartment and glove box were locked).
Like your hood, his gas tank cover was open though, they obviously tried to get into the trunk but couldn't find the button..
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
I just dropped off my '09 SH-AWD TL (traded my '01 CLS last year) off for service earlier today because when I locked the car from the outside, key fob or door handle button, the passenger side rear door and drivers front door won't lock. It actually works intermittently. Perhaps one of yours doors has an issue with the lock not actually "locking". Whatever happened, good luck and be careful!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Advanced

the car auto locks itself tho..at least mine does
That must be some magic CL you've got there. The only auto lock function that I have is when I unlock with the remote but don't open the door. 20 seconds later it'll relock. After driving though I'd be standing outside my car for ever before it would lock itself.

You likely left it open.
I can tell you I can open a CL door with no marks easily.
By open, you mean closed but not locked, right? You could get into a locked CL, quick and clean without setting off the alarm? Now that's...alarming to hear.

That's some scary shit. I'm no expert but shouldn't power interuption be one of the first things that should trigger a car alarm but then I guess it would need a back-up electrical source. One of the first things I checked was the battery cover and leads. The cover was in place and both leads were mechanic tight but that's not to say that he got under the hood first, disconnected the battery, got in, rifled around and before bolting off into the night, reconnected and tightened the leads and put the cover back neat and tidy. Oh, and then he reset the clock!

As for cd's being out of the passenger seat means that your car was ran though and luckily you had nothing worth stealing
After putting prescription lenses in the Serengeti's they were close to $300 so I'm damn glad he passed on those. Apparently he wasn't a Classic Rock fan either. I loves me ACDC

And if you did leave your door unlocked but not ajar it would of auto locked.
Am I really the only one here who's CL does not lock itself?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
def a feeler. they come back with a different ecu and swap it out. turn on the car and drive away with the matching key.
civicdrivr (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AcUrAge703
If you have a window facing your car...a great trick to deter criminals is to put a optical mouse up to the window and at night stick it in your computer...most thieves thinks it a video camera at night because of the red light ...it held us down until we were able to get a real camera out there...
I will definitely keep this in mind if I ever need to fake a camera for a while.
Originally Posted by cobra611
I just dropped off my '09 SH-AWD TL (traded my '01 CLS last year) off for service earlier today because when I locked the car from the outside, key fob or door handle button, the passenger side rear door and drivers front door won't lock. It actually works intermittently. Perhaps one of yours doors has an issue with the lock not actually "locking". Whatever happened, good luck and be careful!
+1 Check that your locks are working properly. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the car locks itself after a while if we turn off the engine, take the key, and close the door. A lot of the time, I don't remember if I locked it or not so I go out to check and it is locked so I figure it just locks itself after a couple minutes.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by YVRCLR
That's some scary shit. I'm no expert but shouldn't power interuption be one of the first things that should trigger a car alarm but then I guess it would need a back-up electrical source. One of the first things I checked was the battery cover and leads. The cover was in place and both leads were mechanic tight but that's not to say that he got under the hood first, disconnected the battery, got in, rifled around and before bolting off into the night, reconnected and tightened the leads and put the cover back neat and tidy. Oh, and then he reset the clock!
Some of the higher end alarms have a battery backup for just that occasion, but they need a siren or horn connected and functioning for it to actually be effective. But for the OEM system, just unplugging the battery will kill it. Dumb question, but is your horn still connected and working properly?

I seriously believe this was just a dry run. Have you had your car to the dealer recently? Or any other shop? If they work for Honda or have a friend that works for Honda, all they need is your VIN and they can have a key made. Take a spare ECU, program the immobilizer on the key, and use that to take your car without any broken glass or a sound being made.

And I believe my doors auto lock, Ill have to double check.

Im not trying to make you paranoid or anything, but keep an eye on it. I know I would have a hard time sleeping knowing that someones rifled through my car.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of the higher end alarms have a battery backup for just that occasion, but they need a siren or horn connected and functioning for it to actually be effective. But for the OEM system, just unplugging the battery will kill it. Dumb question, but is your horn still connected and working properly?

I seriously believe this was just a dry run. Have you had your car to the dealer recently? Or any other shop? If they work for Honda or have a friend that works for Honda, all they need is your VIN and they can have a key made. Take a spare ECU, program the immobilizer on the key, and use that to take your car without any broken glass or a sound being made.

And I believe my doors auto lock, Ill have to double check.

Im not trying to make you paranoid or anything, but keep an eye on it. I know I would have a hard time sleeping knowing that someones rifled through my car.
thatz scary.
but i know any thief that really wants the car that bad could easily just tow it and have at it in a different location away from the owner.
my car was once towed without the alarm going off but i received too warning beeps on the aftermarket 2way receiver and never thought noting of it till i came out the next morning with my car goneeeeeeeee...
(i think a jack/hydraulic car jack) was used the ones with big wheels on em..
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its happened to me too, but I am pretty sure I left the door unlocked on the night some punks were checking doors.

Usually they are looking for GPS units, MP3 players, etc. Luckily I didnt leave anything in the car that night.

And BTW the only 'auto-lock' feature is if you unlock the doors and then DONT OPEN THEM. The car will automatically re-lock the doors. The feature does not work if you were driving, park the car, and dont lock the doors.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be if the car locked itself with the keys in the car after you just parked?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe5.0
Its happened to me too, but I am pretty sure I left the door unlocked on the night some punks were checking doors.

Usually they are looking for GPS units, MP3 players, etc. Luckily I didnt leave anything in the car that night.

And BTW the only 'auto-lock' feature is if you unlock the doors and then DONT OPEN THEM. The car will automatically re-lock the doors. The feature does not work if you were driving, park the car, and dont lock the doors.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be if the car locked itself with the keys in the car after you just parked?
Yeah, that's what I thought. My CL does not lock itself either.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

i thought the car knows that the key is inside ti thus it won't lock the car??

lol i wanna try this today when i get back from school. i'll try a bunch of different methods and arrangements to see wtf it does and does not do.... not that i don't believe you but i would like to see for myself as I was always under the assumption it locks itself
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Break-in. Last year, everybody in my family had every one of their cars broken into. Keep a light on at all times at night, and whatever weapon you want to confront the criminal with, or call police. As the economy continues on a donward spiral, everybody should be on guard.

Last edited by VIPCLS; 03-06-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

^what he said or gang initiation...one girl told me that she had her cat cut out and the rest of the car left alone. Scared the shit out of her when she started the car...lol...after searching online we found out that MS 13 were making new members do that for initiation and also to sell...

and now that we are on the subject of the car locking by itself...i thought it does know when the key is in the car hence why the flashing key sign comes on when you turn it off but havent removed the key....anyway I always lock my car two to three times before i am out of sight...just a good habit...keep hitting that lock button and listen for the locking sound...not the beep...

Also look back at her when your walking away...she likes that...lol
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
The car won't lock if the key is still in the ignition but if you take it out, it will lock, even if they key is inside the car. I've locked my keys in my car with them on the driver's seat, in my coat on the passenger seat and just the keys in the trunk.
civicdrivr (03-06-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
I always lock my car atleast 3 times , check the doors and makes sure the windows are up and sunroof is closed. i left the sunroof open at the mall once, not smart .
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe5.0

02 cl-s here and the doors will auto lock once I stop park and get out and close the door. it's 30 seconds

if you use the keyfob to open a door and have another door or trunk/hood open, it will not auto lock nor will it lock withe the keys in the ignition if you open the drivers door with them in there. if you open the passenger door and close it, the car auto locks.

OP are you sure your seatbelt did not get stuck in the door? that is pretty common on these cars due to weak retractors used
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
My car won't auto lock. I turn the car off and get out and it never auto locks, I park it in my garage.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Advanced

I'm sure, and you're right about the retractors. They suck.

For 6 years, after drivng and parking, I've made good and sure it was locked and the alarm set by double clicking and listening for that sweet little beep. The night this happened, I'd washed the car that afternoon and after muckin around doing windows, wiping down the door jams, trunk and hood area I simply forgot to relock. As fate would have it, that was the night some dirtbag came along and tried my door.

I have the same car and after driving, parking and closing the door I could stand there for 30 years and it wouldn't lock itself and that your's does is way strange in my book.