Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
what really sucks is that some of us are paying for installaton and removal over and over.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
RUF87
These are auto or 6MT mounts?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
what really sucks is that some of us are paying for installaton and removel over and over.
. . . don't forget shipping . . . it cost me $65 to ship 2 day afternoon delivery, so that's 3 days down for that, then however long it takes them to fix and then to ship back . . . so I'm guessing a week or more . .

and I have an automatic tranny . . .

Ruf
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
what really sucks is that some of us are paying for installaton and removel over and over.
Yeah I can't do the rear myself I tried a few times and its too tough for me. At this point I kind of wish I could just get a refund and go back to OEM .
Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Yeah I can't do the rear myself I tried a few times and its too tough for me. At this point I kind of wish I could just get a refund and go back to OEM .
Do you have Innovative or OEM on the rear? If it's OEM, it is a bitch . . . but Innovatives design makes it easy to remove and install.

OEM - 3 - 5 hrs depending on tools
Innovative 45min - 1hr.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 08-21-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: remove sig
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i called today and they said instead of attempting different configurations and having it the whole day Innovative is going to try a different chemical in the bushing. So that will hopefully be done next week. This auto trans appears to not be helping things along.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Lead Footed

Okay, mounts should be in Innovative's hands within an hour or 2. Since it's late in the day on a Friday, I doubt that they'll do anything with it until Monday. I'll post and update as soon as I hear from them.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 08-22-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: remove sig
Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by TheSentinel
So i called today and they said instead of attempting different configurations and having it the whole day Innovative is going to try a different chemical in the bushing. So that will hopefully be done next week. This auto trans appears to not be helping things along.

Hum, interesting . . . I hope this doesn't take long as I've already been without a car for 2 1/2 days . . . .

Dang, this auto sig on feature is owning me. I need to see if I can change that in the profile . . .

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 08-22-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: remove sig
Old 08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
RUF are you coming to austin for the meet? i will still have my mounts installed and we can compare. i doubt i will be making it back to dallas before then.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
RUF are you coming to austin for the meet? i will still have my mounts installed and we can compare. i doubt i will be making it back to dallas before then.
Sorry, but it's not in the cards at this time. Way too many expenses and things going on right now . . . I do plan on putting a meet together at the Motorplex in Ennis sometime in October . . . and hopefully my car will be be fixed at that time.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 08-25-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: sig removal
Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Lead Footed

Spoke with Tim at Innovative this afternoon . . . they got my mounts and said . . . they we're bad. They also acknowledged that it's mostly likely the biggest issue contributing to the vibration problems. Okay, so we weren't imagining the problem . . and it wasn't anything we did installing them.

Tim also said that they had already begun working on this problem based on what they were seeing from Sentinel. It also sounded like they redesigned the mount and the bushing. I'll be able to clarify that once I get my mounts back, which should be Thursday . . I hope or I'll be without a car all Labor weekend.

Some other notes of interest is that Tim is also sending me a set of the firmer Street/Strip mounts to test. This was something that I wanted to do to see how different set-ups work. I won't be able to play with everything until after a soccer tournament this weekend. The approach I plan on taking is to test the base street mounts on the front and the rear. Drive it for a week and then swap out the front mount for the firmer street/strip mount and see how that feels. (I'm thinking this will be a great set up for more serious modders.) After that I will swap out the rear mount and put in the firmer mount and test that. I will even reverse the process leaving the firmer mount in the rear and put the base street mount in the front just to see what that does. I'll share all results with Innovative so that they can use the feedback to tweak the design as appropriate.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good (and pleased) about the response from Tim and can't wait to play with everything . . . especially since it'll be the first time to test the car out with some recent performance mods . . .

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 08-25-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

you go boy!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
So, under load, is the engine supposed to feel like something is rubbing against it? It seems most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear (I have a CL-S6). I checked the hood and there's enough clearance. If it's supposed to be like this because of the reinforced mounts I can probably live with it, just seems a bit harsher than I expected. I would've expected it off the line but I can feel it up to 3k rpms.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Yep that's normal.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Yep that's normal.
Thanks fuzz
Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Interesting news: I called up Innovative to see how they were coming along with production with a new composition for the bushings. While on the phone they mentioned that they wanted to try out a bushing for the transmission, they just needed a car. So guess where my car should be going to be this friday, since this is a test they would like to check their bracket measurements and to install it and see how it does. Hopefully this will help solv the issue us AT TL's are having with the vibration. So till next time.

Last edited by TheSentinel; 08-27-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Lead Footed

Update 8/28/08: Innovative shipped the base street mounts late yesterday, and the firmer street/strip mounts will follow.

I should have them installed this weekend and will provide some pics and updates as soon as I'm able . . . being Labor Day weekend, I plan on do some fun things, but will install the base set as I need a car.

I'll also post some camparison pics with the old Innovatice mounts so you can see what changed.

Once the street/strip mounts get in I'll start playing with different combinations and report on each experience. It's a good thing these mounts are so much easier to remove and install otherwise it would be a royal pain in the

Ruf
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Lead Footed

Interesting news: I called up Innovative to see how they were coming along with production with a new composition for the bushings. While on the phone they mentioned that they wanted to try out a bushing for the transmission, they just needed a car. So guess where my car should be going to be this friday, since this is a test they would like to check their bracket measurements and to install it and see how it does. Hopefully this will help solv the issue us AT TL's are having with the vibration. So till next time.
This will be interesting . . . I'll need to see where those beasties are . . . I'm sure they'll be a real joy to do . . . .

Ruf
Old 08-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
Update 8/28/08: Innovative shipped the base street mounts late yesterday, and the firmer street/strip mounts will follow.

I should have them installed this weekend and will provide some pics and updates as soon as I'm able . . . being Labor Day weekend, I plan on do some fun things, but will install the base set as I need a car.

I'll also post some camparison pics with the old Innovatice mounts so you can see what changed.

Once the street/strip mounts get in I'll start playing with different combinations and report on each experience. It's a good thing these mounts are so much easier to remove and install otherwise it would be a royal pain in the

Ruf
I'm glad they have decided to send you a second set of bushings. I spoke to Tim last week and had asked him to send you additional bushings since I knew you could be helpful in the feedback process and he assured me that he would do everything he could to resolve the issue. I'm glad he came through. We await your feedback.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I'm glad they have decided to send you a second set of bushings. I spoke to Tim last week and had asked him to send you additional bushings since I knew you could be helpful in the feedback process and he assured me that he would do everything he could to resolve the issue. I'm glad he came through. We await your feedback.
Mega thanks

I'll do my best to shake them down . . . I'm assuming Tim's going to let me keep them . . . I'd like to try our the street/strip mounts at the track.

Anyway, once we get it all worked out . . I also hope to provide you with some guidance as well on which set-ups will meet future buyers needs and expectations.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 08-28-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: remove sig
Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

good stuff mark! i've noticed some vibrations in the cabin the past week. hopefully they'll ship us new bushings rsn.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Lead Footed

WHOOhoo . . . .

Okay, the big WHOO is that both sets of mounts came in as promised and I was able to install the new base street mounts this afternoon.

The hoo is for 2 things . . . 1) I forgot my camera so I could take some pics, but there was nothing really to note as the mounts looked the same, other than perhaps the red bushing looked like a deeper red. The street/strip mounts are black and were harder to the touch - pressing my thumbnail into the side. 2) Well good and bad news is that the vibrations were significantly reduced, so much so that I didn't think about them until I had driven about 3 miles. Okay, I had been working on my car from 11am until 5pm - doing some body trim work and modifying my intake some so that the BBTBs would have maximum benefit before tackling the mounts. Anyway, I was tired and heading home and thought - oh shit - forgot to pay attention to the mounts.

All that said, they are much better, however for those that want a near stock ride, it's still a bit rough with the A/C on and in drive. If I were 19 again, I wouldn't care, but we'll see if the some of the set-ups I will play with will get us some better results.

On the positive side, much better, but still some tweaks to go. Also, once the OEM mounts are out, removing and reinstalling the Innovative mounts is sooo much easier. I was able to install both mounts and the vibration dampers in less than 30 mins.

Some other positive notes are that I can feel improved throttle, shifting and steering response. These new base street mounts really tighten things up, however I wasn't able to jump on it from a dead stop to see if tire spin was reduced some more - but I will soon.

I did have a chance to do a quick run from just under 30MPH against a guy with a new S/C Shelby GT. He didn't seem to have it running right as he didn't pull me too much . . . I got beside him and asked about it and he sheepishly said he was having trouble getting it setup right . . . sad all that show and no much to really show for it.

Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, my oldest has a soccer tournament this weekend, so I may not have time to test different set-ups.

Stay tuned . . .

Ruf
Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Instructor

Thats good news Ruff, only my news may not help. I came back from Innovative and they took a look at what was going on with all the mounts (engine and tranny.) They noticed the tranny mount was strained and when they positioned the engine to a less strained point they found that there was about 3/8" difference.
So they are going to modify the set-up and see if that difference could be the culprit. Again these mounts were designed after a MT was taken to the shop and looked at and not an AT. This will be looked at next week (as thats when i have time.)
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^
Old 08-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Lead Footed

Thats good news Ruff, only my news may not help. I came back from Innovative and they took a look at what was going on with all the mounts (engine and tranny.) They noticed the tranny mount was strained and when they positioned the engine to a less strained point they found that there was about 3/8" difference.
So they are going to modify the set-up and see if that difference could be the culprit. Again these mounts were designed after a MT was taken to the shop and looked at and not an AT. This will be looked at next week (as thats when i have time.)
If the engine/tranny are off a bit, it could increase pressure on the front and or rear mount, depending on where the problem is. Assuming the problem place more pressure/stress on the rear mount . . . it could be the culprit.

I'm glad they stepped up their efforts on this and believe they will work on fixing the problem. Also, if this is the problem, the harder street/strip mounts may handle the stress better and even though firmer . . . it may be smoother. I'll test this out and see what happens.

Ruf
Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Has anyone put a DIY together for the install? Nothing turned up in the search. I am in the middle of the install and its not too fun, I figure someone already figured out the best way to do this.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by SkillOBskilled
Has anyone put a DIY together for the install? Nothing turned up in the search. I am in the middle of the install and its not too fun, I figure someone already figured out the best way to do this.
There are several posts back in the original group buy thread. Start on page 9 and go from there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=376980&page=9

Ruf
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Originally Posted by SkillOBskilled
Which part were you needing help with? The front and side are pretty easy to do.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Instructor

I finished the back and side today. I have an MT btw. Getting that bolt out (on the back one) and then back into the new mount probably took me over 2 hours, what a pain. One great suggestion I read from the P2R folks is not to tighten any of the bolts down, but put it all together all loosy goosy and only tighten it down when everything lined up correctly.

For the front I was having a terrible time undoing the bottom bolts from the bracket. I got one more to crack and my new extra long 14mm wrench should do the trick.

Couple quick questions though.
- Is that little weight on the front end of the side mount supposed to be reinstalled?
- Cam you pull the front mount out without pulling the radiator?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
i pulled the front mount without pulling anything else. on there rear i had to bend a hose bracket a little and on the side remove the control module.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Lead Footed

Okay . . . will explain all the fun details later, but I've got the black street/strip mounts in due to a problem with the red mounts. Basically I started developing some vibration-roar under acceleration after 2 days. I decided to go ahead and swap out the front mount with the black mount and noticed a little problem. The center bolts that holds in the bushing assembly was almost out, and the rear was loose. The front bushing was damaged . . . probably due to all the play. Looks like we need to have Innovative include a lock washer to prevent this from happening. Pics to follow.

It's too bad, because I was just getting used to feeling the red bushings out, and would have liked to tested the various combinations, but will just go straight black and see what happens.

Ruf
Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro

so my guess, it's better to just to purchase the front and right mounts.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM
trill recognize trill

damn so how long would we have to wait to get these new bushings? is it easy to just pop them into our current mounts?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by yunginTL
damn so how long would we have to wait to get these new bushings? is it easy to just pop them into our current mounts?

It was a 5 day turnaround, and that included shipping. And I sent mine 2 day air so I'd have them back quicker.

I'm going to talk to Josh about some options for us once I get everything worked out, so stay tuned.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 09-03-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Sig
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Lead Footed

Here are the pics of the busted mount, which I suspect is due to the bolt coming loose and almost out.

I hope to have time to catch up with Tim to discuss this and give him some initial feedback.

BTW, I'm loving the black street/strip mounts . . if it weren't for the increase in vibration I'd probably leave them in. I'll provide more details on the comparisons later when I have time.

Ruf

02 WDP TLS Black Interior w/ Black Grill Inserts
**1/4mile 14.46 @96.07MPH
(**pre headers, CAT, IMMs & BBTBs)
17x7 Konig Appeals SMF -
P225/45ZR-17 Bridgestone RE960 AS
(used Ziex 512s track only)
CT Icebox, RamAir, Sways & Springs
2nd gen Innovative Motor Mounts
BBTBs, Mugen Cooling Mods & Thermoblok
XS Headers - Ceramic Coated & Random-Tech CAT
NEO Anti Freeze & 5w-20 oil
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Here are the pics of the busted mount, which I suspect is due to the bolt coming loose and almost out.

Wow just wow.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Holy crap so thats what happens after the pics i posted. You can see where the bushing started to push against and spill over the bracket at the top. Glad to hear that things are better with the new bushings.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Lead Footed

Glad to hear that things are better with the new bushings.
Unfortunately . . . these are the new ones they just sent me on Friday and had installed for just over 2 days.

Anyway, will update more after my call with Tim.

Ruf
Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Lead Footed

I did talk with Tim today, and they want to analyze the bushings . . . I suspect that they'll make another adjustment to the formulation. Tim will send me another red mount so I can continue testing the various combinations. I did asked about them reducing the rigidity of the current formula by 20-25% and send me a set of those bushings as well. Basically the current red formulation is still a bit to harsh for what I think most people will want, so I want to see if that takes us in the right direction.

More to come as soon as I get them back . . in the meantime . . . for those of you that are in to serious moding and all out performance and don't mind some mild to slightly moderate vibrations (mostly with the A/C on) the black street/strip mounts are really nice.

Ruf
Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the vibrations that some of us experienced how do the black bushings rate?

Quick Reply: Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**