Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
holy crap! i don't daily drive my car but i will definitely stick my head under the hood now to check them.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
this is ridiculous.. i think im just gonna go with oem

innovative
Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSentinel
So I picked up my car today while simultaneously calling into a meeting for work (that was an interesting experience in itself.) While I was talking to my mechanic he was surprised by what he found. He actually drew the picture of it but since I can’t do that here I’ll describe it to you all.
Everyone remember play dough or some sort of clay right. Well imagine a ball of it in your hand, stick your finger in it and that’s how a new mount looks a hole perfectly in the center. Now teeter tot your finger in the play dough up and down (like a shifter going from first to second) and then look at the hole. The bushing is elongated around the metal shaft. Remember, I’ve only had these mounts for a month and don’t drive track and everything is stock on my 02 TL-S. (Pics will be posted in the morningwhen i upload them.)
I have serious concerns for those of you who have had mounts before the new bushing making method meaning anyone who received these mounts before the last week of June. I will be talking to Innovative first thing tomorrow.

No smilies in this posting I’m very serious about this.
This would explain why the vibrations got worse instead of better. I remember Tim saying that the mounts would soften up some and that should fix the problem . . .HA!

Anyway, I'm opening up a mobile Martini business . . . . just mix and set it on my console and it will be thoroughly shaken . . . not stirred.

I'm going to see if I can get my son to take a short video demonstrating how violently it is shaking now. I take a plastic bottle about 2/3rds full and you can see the bottle shake and the water inside bubble like mad.

Ruf
Old 08-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Great, and I was having mine installed today
Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn this sucks. Good thing I kept my OEM front mount. I am suddenly getting a ton of vibration when I shift into reverse I wonder if its related. Hope not. So did Innovative come back and say this was normal?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
!!!

Holyy crizapp! i was justttt about to order these mounts and now im probly not going to! those bushings are messsed up! i duno if the harder bushing would be any different?...
Old 08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
So I picked up my car today while simultaneously calling into a meeting for work (that was an interesting experience in itself.) While I was talking to my mechanic he was surprised by what he found. He actually drew the picture of it but since I can’t do that here I’ll describe it to you all.
Everyone remember play dough or some sort of clay right. Well imagine a ball of it in your hand, stick your finger in it and that’s how a new mount looks a hole perfectly in the center. Now teeter tot your finger in the play dough up and down (like a shifter going from first to second) and then look at the hole. The bushing is elongated around the metal shaft. Remember, I’ve only had these mounts for a month and don’t drive track and everything is stock on my 02 TL-S. (Pics will be posted in the morningwhen i upload them.)
I have serious concerns for those of you who have had mounts before the new bushing making method meaning anyone who received these mounts before the last week of June. I will be talking to Innovative first thing tomorrow.

No smilies in this posting I’m very serious about this.
So did these "New" bushings make a difference for you. I got tired of the vibes a long time ago and sold them and put new OEM ones in. After having both in my car..i didnt notice that much difference in performance with the innovative ones..and the OEM ones are smooth as glass
Old 08-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by CL-Future
Great, and I was having mine installed today

One of our local guys is wanting some and I told him NO WAY on the rear!

That is until the rear is fixed . . . which I'm beginning to think the problem is bigger than what Innovative is capable of dealing with . .. or lacks the full commitiment required. I've talked with Tim before that I won't endorse the full set up until they do. He also talked about doing a test with me, but since I'm not local they probably don't trust me.

I'm calling them next week and ask them one more time to do one more test with my idea and if they don't agree, it's back to the OEM on the rear and I'm giving up on them.

Anyway, those of you that need mounts now, call Excelerate and see what kind of deal you can get for the front and side ONLY! If you have any questions PM me with your mobile# and I'll cover the details with you.

Ruf
Old 08-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEll they said they did have bad batches with the old method of making bushings and who knows they may be right i'll be looking at the new method in about a month so i'll keep you guys posted in the feel.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
So did these "New" bushings make a difference for you. I got tired of the vibes a long time ago and sold them and put new OEM ones in. After having both in my car..i didnt notice that much difference in performance with the innovative ones..and the OEM ones are smooth as glass
Not really but i've only drove my car twice since the new bushings were installed. we'll wait and see
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
One of our local guys is wanting some and I told him NO WAY on the rear!

That is until the rear is fixed . . . which I'm beginning to think the problem is bigger than what Innovative is capable of dealing with . .. or lacks the full commitiment required. I've talked with Tim before that I won't endorse the full set up until they do. He also talked about doing a test with me, but since I'm not local they probably don't trust me.

I'm calling them next week and ask them one more time to do one more test with my idea and if they don't agree, it's back to the OEM on the rear and I'm giving up on them.

Anyway, those of you that need mounts now, call Excelerate and see what kind of deal you can get for the front and side ONLY! If you have any questions PM me with your mobile# and I'll cover the details with you.

Ruf
Do you have a 6spd or auto? I have a 6spd, so hopefully mine turn out ok.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
WEll they said they did have bad batches with the old method of making bushings and who knows they may be right i'll be looking at the new method in about a month so i'll keep you guys posted in the feel.
see this is what i don't get. this is not the first mount bushing they have made. the poly compound and process should be no different than all their other kits. i will be checking mine on sunday, the 6 speed version.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
How different is the 6mt rear from the auto? Mine is ok. Yes more vibrations, but nothing like you guys are having. I got the redesign rear for the 6mt.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
How different is the 6mt rear from the auto? Mine is ok. Yes more vibrations, but nothing like you guys are having. I got the redesign rear for the 6mt.
Well i posted a link of where they gallery is i'll eventually put pics up that are better then a phone [ic but those will have to do. You can tell us, oh and i drove my car around a bit more and there is a difference but like i said after a month will be the real test.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Now I want to take out my front and look at it for piece of mind. If its all deformed like that I am going to be pissed.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so the side and front wont have that playdoh problem?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Its the bushing batch themselves the method for making them prior to 06/30 was flawed in some cases. Basically unless you ordered them recently (within the past month) then the is a possibility they could be bad, as with anything manufactured. Just check your bushings after about a month for the "play dough" effect.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Lead Footed

I don't know if you guys knew this, but there is a new group buy for these mounts going on over in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys area.

I'm sorry, but I had to post a warning out there as this is still an onging issue and I told Tim and Excelerate that I will not endorse these mounts until those of us who bought all 3 mount in that first group buy are taken care of.

I've also told both of them that I'm willing to be a good reference for them as the improvements over the OEM mounts is significant, but not until the problem is resolved.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...85#post6131085

Ruf
Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Kilos of yayo in

I am honestly a little shocked they are trying to organize another group buy. If mine are all jacked up like sentinel's I am going to call and ask for new bushings. These are supposed to have a lifetime warranty aren't they?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
I am honestly a little shocked they are trying to organize another group buy. If mine are all jacked up like sentinel's I am going to call and ask for new bushings. These are supposed to have a lifetime warranty aren't they?
Yeah i got my replacements before i found out how jacked they were. In fact i had no idea how bad they were till my mechanic was like . yeah right now the vib is kinda light though there is still some there. If it continues to be low i wont mind . I'm not entirely sure i'm their favorite over at Innovative as i've been on them for almost a month straight. I'll report on any changes in the new bushings as they develop.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
I don't know if you guys knew this, but there is a new group buy for these mounts going on over in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys area.

I'm sorry, but I had to post a warning out there as this is still an onging issue and I told Tim and Excelerate that I will not endorse these mounts until those of us who bought all 3 mount in that first group buy are taken care of.

I've also told both of them that I'm willing to be a good reference for them as the improvements over the OEM mounts is significant, but not until the problem is resolved.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...85#post6131085

Ruf
That is not a GB for the 2nd gen mounts; it's for the 3rd gen TL mounts. So no need to post a warning. I even waited months to post up that sale on the 3rd gen TL b/c I was trying to get you guys all taken care of and I lost dozens of sales to another member b/c of it. I'm still working on the 2nd gen stuff. On a side note I've sold 2 kits within the past month and neither have had issues from what I can tell.

Innovative has a lifetime warranty on their mounts so they will send you new bushings. Just give them a call. 714-524-5246 They have been in business for years and I have never had a single issue with any of their Civic, Integra, CRX, or S2000 mounts.

Also, RUF you removed that collar which could cause an elongation in the bushing. Make sure to put it back in. It's there for a reason. I know you removed it for test purposes but to be safe make sure you keep it in.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Excelerate
That is not a GB for the 2nd gen mounts; it's for the 3rd gen TL mounts. So no need to post a warning. I even waited months to post up that sale on the 3rd gen TL b/c I was trying to get you guys all taken care of and I lost dozens of sales to another member b/c of it. I'm still working on the 2nd gen stuff. On a side note I've sold 2 kits within the past month and neither have had issues from what I can tell.

Innovative has a lifetime warranty on their mounts so they will send you new bushings. Just give them a call. 714-524-5246 They have been in business for years and I have never had a single issue with any of their Civic, Integra, CRX, or S2000 mounts.

Also, RUF you removed that collar which could cause an elongation in the bushing. Make sure to put it back in. It's there for a reason. I know you removed it for test purposes but to be safe make sure you keep it in.
Thanks for the details, and we do appreaciate that you're still involed. I'll post a response back on the GB and clarify this.

Please stay in the loop as the vibration problem is not getting better but worse. I need to do something ASAP as I'm starting to worry that the intense vibrations may start causing other problems.

Ruf
Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Lead Footed

Yeah i got my replacements before i found out how jacked they were. In fact i had no idea how bad they were till my mechanic was like . yeah right now the vib is kinda light though there is still some there. If it continues to be low i wont mind . I'm not entirely sure i'm their favorite over at Innovative as i've been on them for almost a month straight. I'll report on any changes in the new bushings as they develop.
Hey TheSentinel,

Can you help put some pressure on Tim to go ahead and send me what I need. I know what I'm doing here and just need them to work with me. It's not going to cost them much as I just need them to send me the bushings I discussed with Tim many months ago now, so here's what I would want.

A set of new replacement bushings for the front and rear mounts. I also want a set of the 'street-strip' bushings for the front. I will test and report on the results so that together we can resolve this issue.

The first thing I will do is replace the old bushings with the new street ones and report on what happens. Then I will replace the front bushing with the street-strip bushings and report what happens with them. We should be able to tell from that whether we're on the right track or not.

Again, this would cost them minimal as the bushings weigh very little. We need to make faster progress here as I'm close to giving up and removing the rear Innovative mount and go back to OEM.

Ruf
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
On a side note I've sold 2 kits within the past month and neither have had issues from what I can tell.
Josh, are the 3G mounts for the manual or auto trans?

Sentinel, can you find out how the bushings differ between 3G and 2G?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike
...Sentinel, can you find out how the bushings differ between 3G and 2G?
Are you talking process or composition? From what they said All bushings now use a new process which removes more bubbles from the bushing, making them less prone to error
Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM
7th Gear

Thumbs up

Do we have a time frame of when all this fine tunning is going to be done and have a final product without any problems, as I need my mounts replaced soon and I am thinking oem right now, to be on the safe side.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Are you talking process or composition? From what they said All bushings now use a new process which removes more bubbles from the bushing, making them less prone to error
it would be great to know the difference in composition. I don't care about the process as long as they resolve the issue.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Instructor

So I finished going over a few concerns with Tim.
it would be great to know the difference in composition. I don't care about the process as long as they resolve the issue.
The composition is the same, composition being the polymers/"ingredients" used to make the bushing the process/"baking" is different.
Sentinel, can you find out how the bushings differ between 3G and 2G?
The difference between the two are the point of support has an extra piece to allow for the difference in engine variation.

In regard to the coined term "play dough" effect, it seems that this is most likely due to the difference between the configurations of the Manual and Auto since most of the complaints are coming from the Auto versions of vehicles.
I'll be going back to check it out next week. By the way it looks and feels like i'm starting to get the "play dough" effect.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by CL-Future
Do you have a 6spd or auto? I have a 6spd, so hopefully mine turn out ok.
Sorry . . I missed this. I have auto, so it won't be as bad for you.

Ruf
Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Lead Footed

So I finished going over a few concerns with Tim.

The composition is the same, composition being the polymers/"ingredients" used to make the bushing the process/"baking" is different.

The difference between the two are the point of support has an extra piece to allow for the difference in engine variation.

In regard to the coined term "play dough" effect, it seems that this is most likely due to the difference between the configurations of the Manual and Auto since most of the complaints are coming from the Auto versions of vehicles.
I'll be going back to check it out next week. By the way it looks and feels like i'm starting to get the "play dough" effect.
Any word on whether Tim will send me some test mounts?

Ruf
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

sentinel, any updates?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Innovative offed him. He knew too much!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
i had the 6 speed mounts and they were stretching or Play doughing just like the Auto ones are when i took them out and sold them
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
i had the 6 speed mounts and they were stretching or Play doughing just like the Auto ones are when i took them out and sold them
That's just not right . . . . Innovative should at least offer everyone new bushings . . .

I'm going to call Tim now and see what's up.

Ruf
Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Kilos of yayo in

I wonder if mine are doing it. All of the sudden my car has been vibrating a lot especially when in reverse. I will inspect them when I get a chance and let everyone know.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Lead Footed

Okay, not quite what I would have hoped for in a perfect world, but here's what came of the call.

#1) Tim said that they worked on Sentinel's car and experienced no vibration problems. So, Sentinel . . . is that true, the problems gone?

#2) Tim did say they have a new bushing set up. If we send in our mounts, they will inspect the old bushings and replace them if there's a problem with doughing or otherwise. I did ask about sending them out so we can just do it ourselves, but he said the new bushings needed to be installed using their installation process . . in other words using a vise would not be acceptable.

#3) Tim also said they tested various set ups that included harder compositions and it made no difference.

Anyway, this means I'll need to take mine out and ship the whole thing to them. Oh well, I do need to take mine in to the body shop next week so maybe it's good timing for a change . . other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time when some guy backs in to my car . . . .

Ruf
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
I wonder if mine are doing it. All of the sudden my car has been vibrating a lot especially when in reverse. I will inspect them when I get a chance and let everyone know.
That's what mine started doing and the last time I took the mounts out, the hole was elongating . . . so sorry to say, probably yes.

Ruf
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Wow this really blows. What a horrible product! I'll have to check mine when I have time. On cold startup my car bangs & I've noticed more vibrations in low gear/low RPM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Bye Bye CL!!!

I was one of the people excelerate reffered to as purchasing the mounts in the last month. I have the side mount installed and havent had time to do my front and rear. I'm 6mt but from what I'm reading even some of you 6mt had problems with the elongating "playdough" effect. Hopefully I won't have the same problem in a month or so... this thread is startin to worry me

Quick Reply: Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**