GROUPBUY: Brembo Brakes + SS Lines + Ceramic pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why $445?

I thought that the whole pacakge should be $398 shipped as stated in the first post ont this thread.

Front Rotors $135
Rear Rotors $110
MM Pads $40 ( front only? how much for the rear pads?)
SS lines $85

Total: $370

With Shipping to NE would be $398.

Originally posted by Bulldog01
Just spoke to Woody...nice guy.

I ordered CD & Slotted fronts and rears, with metal master pads, and lines...~$445 shipped to MA. They'll be shipped middle of next week, and he'll e-mail tracking info when they go out.

Thanks, NOVA!!
Old 05-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they EMC rotors or EBC rotors?
Old 05-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Revving at 9K...

$35 for the rear pads.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by mretif
just got my tracking numbers, i am happy
Just received mine, too. Delivery is scheduled for next Friday, which is the day my buddy and I are planning on taking the brakes off and painting the calipers (I ordered the G2 kit in blue) and then we'll put everything on Saturday morning/afternoon. Can't wait.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by korchen
Are they EMC rotors or EBC rotors?
EMC for you you.. 1999 and lower get Brembo... and after talking to Woody the EMC "OEM sized" are better ...

Smitty
Old 05-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
I have an '02 TL-S, which parts fit it?

edit: Nevermind I'll just call them. But thanks anyways....
Old 05-11-2003, 04:12 PM
HELLLLLLOOOOOO NURSE!!!!!

Say Nova,
Congrats on the new Bemmer! Those are sweet rides. Thanks again for hooking up this GB. I got a question though. Would you happen to know how much torque I need when I install the new rotors and pads. Also what kind of tools will I need? Thanks again dude.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Fo Rilla!

Nova,

Did you recieve my email about the GB?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I may jump on this GB promo sometimes next month... It is tempting... now let us here some reviews..
Old 05-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Racer

Today I ordered the package but Woody said that they don't make rear rotors for an 01 cl-s.
I thought everyone here has been getting rear rotors from him.
Let me know what's up
thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I am now a bit confused what are we getting with this deal? brembo, OEM rotors or what?
Old 05-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Dont want to come off as an ass or anything, but I just wanted toshare my experience with my Race Concept Rotors which has not been good. After being on my car for less than 3 mths, the coating on the rotors started breaking down,and I started seeing some rust, and now by the 5 mth mark, there is no coating left on the edges of the rotors at all. The center hubs have also showed signs of breakdown as well, and compared to the new pics in my gallery, these look like they have weathered very badly.

Initially I contacted Wood, and showed him the same pics you guys can see in my gallery at the 3 mth mark, and he said it was just normal wear. I told him that I found that hard to believe, and he said he reviewed the pics again, and that it was due to me somehow getting a bad batch of rotors at all 4 corners.

He also said that road salt could have contributed to the coating failure, but I specifically asked him about that before I bought them, and he said they would hold up to it fine, but he later did a flip flop.

At first he wanted me to swap out the rotors again(at my expense both $$ & time), send em back for a recoat(at my expense), and then swap em out again(at my expense again) after he sent them back to me. I didnt that acceptable at all, and in the end I got a replacement set of rotors shipped to me, which I havent had time to install yet.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, and to show you the pics. In the end I ended up feeling like it wasnt that much of a bargain with all the hastle & extra labor. Thankfully I only paid $50 in labor for the swap, but I will swap these out when I have time, may even do it myself, but I am worried the same thing will just happen next winter.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Racer

That's Bullshit!!!
Would you reccomend canceling my order?
Has anyone else had these kinds of problems?
Old 05-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Pics
3mths

2 weeks ago, just shy of 5mths, and no coating left at all

More pics are here

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...albuo13&page=1
Old 05-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Racer

Do you have the rear rotors because he told me they don't make them for the cl.
I'd flip if they don't replace them 4 free
Sorry 2 hear that. keep us updated.
Thanks4 the info.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:15 AM

Sorry to hear about the bum deal you got Hyde, and what looks to be what I'm about to get into. Unfortunately my rotors are already on their way from what Woody told me. Did you have any problems with warpping though? DAMN I KNEW THIS KIND OF SHIT WOULD HAPPEN! SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH MORE EXPENSIVE KVR ROTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Revving at 9K...

That's weird... When I ordered, I got both front and rear, I'm not sure why now he is saying there is no rears..??

As for the rusting.. my thoughts are if they are at least just as good as OEM rotors, and they are cheaper, I still think we got a good deal. IMO.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah but if you talked to Woody you would of known that he would replace your rotors for free if they warped...IMO that is better then dealing with the hassel of a dealership.

P.S. Brembos rust too fellas... Don't be fooled thinking that you will find a inexpensive rotor and never see some Rust.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, so I just got off the phone with Woody and he tells me my order hadn't shipped and he's out of the rear rotors indefinitely. He gave me the option to cancel the order which I did since I don't REALLY need them yet anyway.

I'm torn though, the price for the front rotors is still pretty good so I wonder if I should just get the fronts and pads and just wait until someone comes out with the rears or what?
Old 05-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Racer

Listen dude I just ordered everything woody had rear pads, front pads/rotors &ss brakelines.
I had to get the rear rotors cross drilled & slotted from SP performance for $205 shipped from raceshopper.com
I'm not gonna wait around for that joker Woody to get them in.
He told me that they don't make rear rotors & I'd have to use stock rear rotors. I didn't buy it for 1 second.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Dont want to come off as an ass or anything, but I just wanted toshare my experience with my Race Concept Rotors which has not been good.
Hyde, did anyone else over on the TL board have this problem?

Hyde, what pads did you use with the Race Concept rotors?

Hyde, did you feel that your braking is better?

and the last question:

DID THEY WARP???.... that is the issue I am trying to solve.. I do not want to go through the whole dealership issue of them cutting my rotors for free and having the same problem 5K miles later.

Smitty
Old 05-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Racer

it got my stuff installed the other day and every thing is fine. I did not feel comfortable installing it my self so i had a pro do it and when they called they told me that they had very bad vibrations and so i went to go get it and it was shaking pretty bad but as i start to slowly brake them in i think it smoothed out the surface on the pads and rotors and now everything is good....so i am happy
Old 05-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

i should just close this group buy cause there so many fucken complaints. this will be the last GB i ever organize....
Old 05-14-2003, 01:12 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
there is no such thing as a permanent brake coating.

all coatings will break down over time... especially during salty northeast winters.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Some more info for you guys

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...583#post522583

Other people have not had problems... So before you take one persons outcome and decide to talk poop you better research it first.

Smitty

p.s. Like Soopa said before he edited his post.. I think that went over and beyond Customer service for Woody to replace HYDE's rotors for free.. but that just goes to show you that you have a company that will stand behind their product..

So stop your bitchin like little bitches and research the shit before you type and talk crap on a company that is trying to give you a deal and solve the WARPING ISSUES!!!..
Old 05-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

I just wanted to share my experiences which were bad, but if all you want to hear is sugarcoated BS pay no more attention to my posts because I'll tell it how it is. Im a long time mod, and its my duty to do so. As they say the truth hurts, but dont shoot the messenger.

I asked Wood point blank about how his rotors would holdup to the winter salt, and he either didnt tell me the truth, or his product was defective. He said dont worry about it, put em on, and that the coating would hold up. Wear is normal, chipping and breakdown like that is NOT.

WOOD HIMSELF finally agreed and shipped me a replacement set only after a few emails by me and the person who started the groupbuy. The breakdown in the veins is normal, but the edges should NOT be in the condition they are in by his own admission.

I definitely dont consider a free replacement for a defective product going above and beyond good customer service. I consider that the most basic customer service there is, and I didnt even get that initially.

Initially he wanted me to swap back to my now rusted out stock rotors which I would have had to get cut before I could reuse them. Then at my expense ship those heavy rotors back for a recoat, then do the swap all over again when he sent them back. So I would pay shipping there, and have to pay and lose the time for 2 installs.

I would also have to bed my Porterfield R4S pads which I have at all 4 corners and were not cheap on 3 different sets of rotor surfaces. I wasnt thrilled about a quick sandblast and recoat either. How good could the bond be with the new coating ??

That kind of wear from 3mths and 3k(of which 1400 was put on in one trip from NY to Michigan and back) is definitely not normal. I had a beater car, so my car was a garage queen anytime there was snow on the ground. These rotors didnt even face a real winter. I have also seen KVR's and other rotors on other cars with far more wear and use in much much better shape.

The BEST PART, check out the calipers. Thats nothing but high temp Aluminum engine paint, and is now over 1 yr old, and is holding up just fine.

I can appreciate whats involved in setting up a group buy, but if problems arise, they should be addressed. I did nothing wrong.
I got a faulty product which was misrepresented, and finally a replacement after some negotiation.

Members do have the right to know about any past problems as well, and as a Mod who gets tons of PM's, emails, ect on mods etc, I feel its my duty to share info both good and bad to all members, and thats something I will continue to do because many appreciate it,and I wish I had the heads up on this one.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting quote from Austin..

"""""the same group doing the big brake kits on the groupbuy in this forum has stock size rotors. I talked to the sales manager, and he basically said that Race Concepts rotors weren't faulty. All rotors with the new Zinc coating as required by environmental reasons would be the same way. The only reason his would be better in any way is because they coat theirs twice, so it takes a little longer...but even the Brembo Big Brake Kits would do this. Loren (the Rotora guy) said that people in New York, with lots of salt, would have this problem, and anyone saying otherwise is wrong. There's not much they can do. I also called Brembo and asked...they said the same thing. The only suggestions is to get some WD40, spray the rust spots to remove the rust, then wash the WD40 off. Make SURE to wash it off otherwise you'll effectively have no brakes because it lubricates. After you wash it off with soap/water/brush then drive the car around and do some really hard braking to heat up the rotors to burn off the water. And from now on any time the rotors get wet, do heavy braking to burn off the water. Aside from that he said it's inevitable. This isn't what I wanted to hear but I guess our expectations were too high, with three companies in the industry saying the same thing...

Austin519""""

Hyde answer my above questions ... I researched it and 2 out of 35 members had coating issues.. You and another guy (which he used brake cleaner on the coating and destroyed the coating himself"... No one else had issues.. besides you got new rotors and you never even installed them yet... So why not install the new rotors and then give an update but it seems to me that you just like to inform/complain about it instead of fixing it.. You clearly stated it was a bad batch of Zinc coated rotors. You expect no rust and beautiful rotors no matter what and that is not the point.. EVERYONE HERE IS TRYING TO SOLVE THE WARPING ISSUE!! but some want the cosmetic look..
and the more you talk about your car being a garage queen I can now understand why your rotors rusted the way they did.. Did you use some type of acidic cleaner on your rims?.. did you heat your rotors up after washing your car or did you garage it right away?... Just answer those questions and the one in my above post so that I can get a better feel for what your talking about...

p.s. your link does not work, but I went over to acura world . com and read numerous threads on race concept rotors..

Smitty
Old 05-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Geez Smitty. If you dont really want to hear anything negative, and want to be such a smart ass, put up your own money and find out ateh asnwers for yourself. Perhaps you dont want to know about defective items, but others do.

You dont know me, so dont even try to tell me what I like to do,(complain instead of fix the issue) because those that know me know that that is the furthest from the truth, and thats a pretty long list of people since I've been around contributing since the days of H-A.net.

Dont know whats wrong with the uptake, but I'll say it again

1. I asked about how the rotors would hold uppoint blank mentioning salt specifically.
2. They clearly did not perform as was promised.
3. My rotors were defective
4. They were replaced onlyafter I insisted on a replacement.

If he said they wouldnt hold up, this wouldn't be an issue, but he didnt, and even further he still said mine were defective. I just want to make sure no one else believes what I was told, an knows what could possibley happen. If you cant appreciate that fine, but others will.

I posted my review on the rotors I had on my car, cant review the ones I just got sitting in the box because I havent installed them yet. If you want to come install them for me, please due, till then work, and other commitments are my priorities. What kind of review would it be to slap em on and say "hey its now 2 days, and they look great."

By the way your Goal is warping, mine was both warping and looks. Protecting my expensive 19 inch rims I had imported from Japan from getting stained with rust was also one of my goals, and Wood knew that. Dont be so arrogant to think that your priorities are the only important ones.

Also what do you understand about my issue??? I NEVER use any harsh chemicals on my wheels. One rim is worth more than all the rotors and pads put together. Nothing harsher than Meguiars gold class car soap is used on my rims. I'd never risk the finish.

My garage is unattached and not heated. Rust would occur at the same rate there as it would parked outside. Also read more carefully, I said my car was garaged when it snowed only, I had the use of a relatives car at the time. My car has 30k on the clock right now, and is my daily driver, so its not sitting in disuse collecting rust.

Also changing just your rotors and keeping them the same size as OEM will NOT improve your braking. Dont know why you think that. In fact if you drill and slot the same rotors and effectively decrease its functioning as a heat sink you'd get the opposite.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Hyde Hyde Hyde

Why would you even think that I am trying to be a smartass with you dude.... All I did was ask you simple questions and in return I get rants. I am by no means looking to throw down and start a keyboard war with you or anyone...

All rotors rust.. were you expecting some miracle rotor??
Did they warp???
If they are so faulty and your so concerned about your rims, why are they still on your car?.. I know I know, your too busy.. That is your priority not mine..
I can completely understand that you got misinformed.. I have a problem with that but you won't know if the problem was solved unless you put the new rotors on... Everyone by now knows you got a bad batch of Zinc coated rotors.. that sucks, but you continue to beat the inexpensive product down..Why?.. you have a grudge??? Read... I am just trying to get a feel for how the product stands up to the warping issues. Thats all... and if I put all 4 rotors on along with new Metal master pads and SS lines will my braking be better?...I think it will... and I know for a fact Woody said if the rotor warped he would replace it for free with no problems..

Simple questions, simple answers is all that is needed..

Smitty
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 AM
The Creator

i gotta back smitty up. im sorry... but there is not a single metal coating out there that will stand up to New York winters.

not only the salt on our roads... but for the past few years theyve been using that chemical in place of salt which is a straight corrosive. it eats metal. period.

so ya got salt, chemicals, and sand... plus all the shit... mixing with water and metal. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK IS GONNA HAPPEN?

every fucking rotor in the world will rust under these conditions.

paint doesnt rust because PAINT ISNT A METAL. there is a big goddamn difference between a metal coating and a coating of paint.

think logically. christ.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:47 AM

Hey Nova,
If you see this dude, I still appreciate this groupbuy dude. There sure have been alot of complaints and bitching. As for myself, I still think Woody is a stand up guy. I called him today about my rear rotors, and he was cool about me canceling cause they're not available. Now to put up with all this bullshit and still keep your cool, that's pretty stand up. As for the rusting issue, I have to say it's all physics. If you cause enough friction between two surfaces, you're bound to wear them both down. Hence wearing down the coating on the rotors leading to rust. You add road salt to that equation and you will definately get rust. Trust me, I lived in TO for 13 years, and that road salt can eat right through the body of a car. Just be thankful they aren't warpped every 15K miles. Alright guys, stop the bickering and just keep up the good work with the cars. PEACE.............. IN THE MIDDLE EAST!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

NO SHIT THEY WILL RUST over time..

thnx smitty, method and soopa. and good luck to everyone
Old 05-15-2003, 11:15 AM

Hey Smitty,
Was curious what this whistleing noise that is heard with these rotors? I was reading the post on the TL site and people report noise that sounds like a baseball card stuck in the spokes. Just curious if you've heard of this problem or if this is an isolated incident.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Masshole

Just received my G2 Caliper Paint Kit. Can't wait to see how my "new" blue calipers will look. Rotors, pads, and SS lines are supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Masshole

I got mine!!! They look SWEET!!! Thanks again for a GREAT group buy, Nova!!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:31 PM
The Creator

ok... they sent me 4 rotors... 2 for the rear.

the rears DO NOT appear to fit...

i cant squeeze the caliper over themw ithout the lower bracket touching the rotor...

they appear identical to the rear stock rotors except the drum is just a hair shorter and thats why the disc is held out further.

has anyone been able to squeeze these on?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:18 PM
The Creator

nevermind. found lous post... confirmed what i found. the rears dont fit...

ordered some rears from Tim @ AutoCarParts.com
Old 05-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Racer

What kind?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Rust over time and completely shot in 3mths?? You may think thats the same, I sure dont, and bottom line NEITHER DID WOOD. and it sure isnt normal for any other aftermarket rotor either.

So 3mths, little salt exposure, garage kept, clean 99% of the time, and TOLD by the MANUFACTURER that salt would not be a problem. WHAT DO I FUCKING EXPECT?? I expect the rotors to look better than some high temp paint thats over 1 year old on my calipers. My old Accord with unfinished calipers that I painted 3+ yrs ago looks great. In fact the painted veins and edges on my old rotors which I hit at the same time is holding up better than this coating.
Oh yeah fitting would be good to, but thankfully mine went on no prob.

I've only been born and raised in NY (26 yrs+ now), everywhere from teh cityto Suffolk LI. Driving from the city, to the Island, and the Bronx for looks like a few years longer than some here, so thanx for the lessons guys, but Im pretty familiar with winter hazards.

You want to know about warpage, I've only had em 5mths. So no in 5mths they havent warped with my Porterfield RS4 pads, braking is way better due to the pads, and having had Metal Masters, Id go with the RS4 pads which bite better, and have no metallic squeek.

That clicking sound is the pads hittingteh slots on the rotors. I have only expeienced it once after braking, but it went away on its own.

I dont get it, you guys say its normal when its not even by the sellers standards, and like the problem lies with me. Bottom line, someone asked about the rotors, I explained problems I had, and I get jumped on. WTF?????????? If someone asks about a new product, Id for damn sure want to know if anyone had a problem with them, and Id apprecate the heads up so I wouldnt be surprised.

My main problem was his misleading me, but I guess no one here would be bothered if that happened to him.

Of course once the new ones go on, and if I have no problems, I'd post an update, and let everyone know about them. Im not after the guy. What fucking reason would I have??

I've been into this for over 10yrs, and a mod since 1997. I have had tons of experiences both good and bad, and this is mild n comparison compared to some. I always let everyone know what happened whether that be a review or whatever. I'm just trying to help.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Drifting

I just got mine in today! Thanks Nova for this groupbuy! I'll post pics soon! They look beautiful!

Quick Reply: GROUPBUY: Brembo Brakes + SS Lines + Ceramic pads