Center Console Broken.....ARRRGGHH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console Broken.....ARRRGGHH!

I was getting my cell phone out of the center console last night when it happened. It was in the lower section, I opened it up and the upper bin slammed back down (this happens alot) when I went to reopen the lower section, the latch wouldn't release. Applying a little more force the friggin thing busted off. Now the flippin' thing keeps popping up due to the spring on the hinge.

It looks as though it can be fixed easily provided they sell the part individually(perhaps too easily due to a bad design), there appears to be two phillips screws that hold the lower latch mechanism to the upper bin portion.

Happen to anyone else? In all, I'm pretty disappointed in the whole design of the latches on the center console

(hope this isnt a double post)

------------------
<A HREF="http://rrw.d2g.com" TARGET=_blank>The Red Rocket
</A>
Old 01-26-2001, 01:55 PM
Instructor

See if you can order the part. One peice of advice... Keep the cell phone in the cup holder. I slammed the center thingy down a few times, and I'm afraid the next time it'll break.

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
No spoiler. No NAV either. No fat chics.
no "phat" chics either.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro

Act indignantly at the dealer and get the console fixed under warranty. Actually, sounds like a warranty item anyway.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:42 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Louisn,why go to the dealer and be indignant instead try going there and asking us for help.You would find if you came to my dealer that I would most likely help you out.Come in and blatantly lie or act like a jerk and your chances are greatly dimished.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-26-2001, 09:51 PM
Pro

Sorry jens, bad choice of words. Act like you're shocked that anything went wrong; Actually my dealer has been great; I think Acura of Memphis does one hell of job taking care of their customers. Several on this board don't seem to understand that they have a warranty that will be honored.
Old 01-26-2001, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad the 2 latches (just plastic) bend only.... no moving latch parts at all. Even feels flimsier in the MDX console -- when I saw how cheezy they felt I checked the CL-s latches--DOH! same deal. What, you want movin' parts for 30 large?? Break easily but rattle less!

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-26-2001, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bc01cls:
Too bad the 2 latches (just plastic) bend only.... no moving latch parts at all. Even feels flimsier in the MDX console -- when I saw how cheezy they felt I checked the CL-s latches--DOH! same deal. What, you want movin' parts for 30 large?? Break easily but rattle less!

</font>
Guess here is one place where Acura made some cost cutting...maybe that's why the CL is so cheap...oops...I mean great value!

Alex

[This message has been edited by alex2364 (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old 01-27-2001, 01:13 PM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
Louisn,why go to the dealer and be indignant instead try going there and asking us for help.You would find if you came to my dealer that I would most likely help you out.Come in and blatantly lie or act like a jerk and your chances are greatly dimished.Jens

</font>
It sounds like you work for a great dealership that really cares for it's customers and takes extra steps to ensure quality customer service. However I think you would agree that based on a lot of the stories from this board, many cl owners are not as lucky when it comes to having that level of service when they go to their dealer. If history proves that they may have to fib a little to get a latch replaced under warranty, people are going to do it.

------------------
Please have a crane drop on my car so I have to buy a new CL-S. But wait till I'm not in the car. Thanks
Old 01-27-2001, 02:15 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nootch take it from me with 15 years of dealer experience.You can rest assured the people that work at the dealer know you are lying when you come in and decide to "fib" a little to get something repaired.Generally speaking a good dealer will accept your "story" at face value and do the repair regardless of the validity of the story you told.It just isn't worth the trouble to confront a customer who lies unless it is so blatant that it hurts.By and large most of my customers are honest straightforward people who have a problem with a car and just tell it like it is.If I have to fix something under warranty that is not really a warrantable repair,so what the cusomer is happy and he or she will return in the future to do more business with us.In the end getting a customer to come in,get to know us,and hopefully trust us with their cars is my goal if I have to "ignore" a few fish stories so be it.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-27-2001, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Great tip Jens! I bought my service advisor a bottle of Cognac for New Years (his choice). I take care of the ppl that take care of me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:

</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-27-2001, 03:47 PM