break rotors/pad replacement and dealer's quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007 | 12:53 PM
5th Gear

break rotors/pad replacement and dealer's quote

Hi everyone,

even though I have been watching and following advices on this great forum, i guess it's time for me ato post my first question. I live in Toronto and have a 01 CL-S with 142k on it. I have not done anything major since I bought it last year. But i knew it had some breaking problems and this summer I decided to take it to the dealer and do a type 2 maintenance. This is what they revealed and said that needs to be done. I am new to this and have very less knowledge on what is crucial. Can someone help me please.. here is the list and the price they gave me..

(1) Replacement of Front Rotors + pads = CAD 668
( can not be machined as it would become too thin it seems)

(2) Replacement of Rear Rotors + pads = CAD 565
( can not be machined as it's rusted ?? )

(3) Break fluid change = CAD 85

(4) Transmission fluid change = CAD 85

(5) Coolant change and gasket replacement = CAD 340

(6) Right Rear wheel bearing adjustment/repair = CAD 240
this may need wheel alignment

Certainly this is way over my budget and I know it's the dealers job to tell everything they can do to bump the bill I read from the posting that the front breaks do most of the job. hence I am thinking about going for only for items (1) and (4). What do you guys think ?
Old 04-24-2007 | 01:11 PM
In the Mid-South meow

I'd say your best bet is to either try doing as much of that service as you can on your own or bring it to a shop that deals with Honda/Acuras and see what they say. Also maybe try a different dealership and don't tell them what this dealership said you need and see what they come up with. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2007 | 01:32 PM
Missing My CL-S

if you're going to change the rotors/pads, don't get OEM ones. they won't last long at all. where in Toronto are you? and what dealership did you take it to? I can always help you out.

oh, and welcome to the club!
Old 04-24-2007 | 01:45 PM
Terigan...

Get slotted after market Rotors & Pads, they should cost around $500 total for both Front & Rear.

The rest you might want to price at other dealerships just to get an idea.
Old 04-24-2007 | 02:18 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SG81
if you're going to change the rotors/pads, don't get OEM ones. they won't last long at all. where in Toronto are you? and what dealership did you take it to? I can always help you out.

oh, and welcome to the club!

Thanks.. I went to Acura in Markham. But I live in scarborough
Old 04-24-2007 | 03:43 PM
Missing My CL-S

there's not a lot of places around here that sell good quality parts for the CL and if you do find places, they'll charge an arm and a leg. i got my rotors/pads from Excelerate and it worked out to be a lot cheaper than local, not to mention better quality. if i do have to go to the dealer, the only one i really trust is Woodbine Acura. (Acura of North Toronto is the worst btw) i got most of my parts from the States
Old 04-24-2007 | 03:58 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

get pads and rotors at http://www.etopline.net/
rotors are called SR Performance and after over a year no vibration at all (just get the blanks without drilling, they will wear more evenly and can be machined later)

and they have a selection of different pads as well. I'm using PBR Metal Master which are great for braking power but get a little squeeky. They also have PBR Deluxe which I think should be a nice alternative and have less noise.

Labour can be done much cheaper at private shops. If you want I'll give you a couple addresses if you in Toronto.

Tranny oil change do at the dealer (I wouldn't let someone else mess with that).
Old 04-25-2007 | 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

First, can you do the work on your own? Do you have a garage and access to tools to complete the rotor/brake replacement?

That is the best way to defray the cost from the dealership. I mean, what they listed above is fairly common for a car with that many miles. But it you wanted to minimize cost, you don't need the coolant/gasket replacement unless your car is burning oil or making a noise.

Also, you can stray away from the brake fluid change because this isn't imperative.

As for the tranny fluid, just pull out the dipstick and take a look, if its still pinkish, you can also wait on this till you save up some more mulaha.

I mean, that is pretty ridiculous for 1200 canadian (I think thats about 800-900u.s) for front and rear rotors, thats a ripoff, especially if they are using stock parts. The stock rotors suck and the pads are just average. Atleast buy your own rotors online and have them use those for replacement vs the stock rotors.

Also, its scary how easy rotor/brake replacement is. For brakes, it is 2 bolts you have to loosen and only have to take off one of them to flip up the caliper. It takes 15 minutes max, that includes jacking up the car and taking off the wheel.

As for the rotor, you have to take off two bolts that hold on the caliper and then you need to loosen the two rotor screw, then voila, you are finished.

Good luck ming.
Old 04-25-2007 | 08:14 AM
Missing My CL-S

$1200 for brakes/rotors is
Old 04-25-2007 | 12:29 PM
5th Gear

Unhappy

Thanks a lot folks... Finally I got the following done for CAD 800 with all kinda discounts..

1. Type 2 maintenance
2. Front rotors + pads
3. Tranny oil change

Also they did a transmission some kit installed a recall item under warrenty. I did not understand what that was.

I know I have spent a little more than it would actually cost , but since I am new to the city , I did not have the right contacts here for a trusable place for repair.

Oh.. BTW.. after getting some of your views I did ask the guy about warranty for my rotors and he said it's 1yr OR 20k, which ever comes first.

I will probably replace my rear pads from midas/canadian tire just to get better breaking. ???!!
Old 04-25-2007 | 02:13 PM
Missing My CL-S

Originally Posted by vahees
I will probably replace my rear pads from midas/canadian tire just to get better breaking. ???!!
DO NOT DO THAT!

if you don't want to do it yourself, PM me and I'll take you to a good shop if you want
Old 07-24-2007 | 03:41 PM
4th Gear

SG81 - please PM me

Hey SG81,
I tried to PM you but the forum would not let me for some reason. Hoping this post gets to to you. I would be interested in these shops in Toronto. Please PM me back or contact me at jbaese@hotmail.com. I have a 97 3.0 CL which needs a new drivers side window regulator ASAP. I got quoted $500 from my normal guy (which may make sense for him since the part is $260+ tax at the dealership). If I do end up ordering this from the US, any suggestions who/what site to order parts from?
Jason

Originally Posted by SG81
DO NOT DO THAT!

if you don't want to do it yourself, PM me and I'll take you to a good shop if you want