View Poll Results: Would you be interested in purchasing the following
Yes, I will order a set of Aluminum Door sills
57.58%
I may buy a set after their available.
36.67%
Not Interested.
5.76%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

aluminum sills/trim groupbuy (ends July 11)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele
Good job Austin, finally we're gonna get some sills!

You asked where are the orders? I think people are waiting to see what 1) they look like on the edges when installed with the tape and 2) what the engraving looks like. That means more pics, please!

I'm with these guys. I'm 99% sure I'll order a set I just want to
see some good pics of the finished product.

THX
Old 05-31-2002, 01:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already paid for my order this morning. I'll take pics once they arrive
Old 05-31-2002, 10:51 PM
nItIn

Originally posted by Austin519
TO THOSE THAT HAVEN'T ORDERED! Why haven't you? There have been about 50 orders for trim/sills placed so far...not all paid obviously but placed...but the polls I took showed that like 200 CLers wanted sills and 80 wanted trim...and on the TL side were another 200 wanting sills and 50 wanting trim...where are you guys? Obviously the polls will overestimate how many actually order...because it's a lot easier to click a button than it is to part with money...but I want to know what's holding you guys up? Are you just waiting for the first person to get his/her stuff and post about it? Or were you just BSing? Or what? Tell me because I want to know and hopefully fix it if there was something wrong.
i think its still the same reason austin.

<b>quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by kensteele
Good job Austin, finally we're gonna get some sills!

You asked where are the orders? I think people are waiting to see what 1) they look like on the edges when installed with the tape and 2) what the engraving looks like. That means more pics, please!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
</b>
Old 06-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Instructor

i'm just waiting on seeing the final product with the engraving then no problem placing my order for the sills
Old 06-01-2002, 01:33 PM
nItIn

Originally posted by MattR97
i'm just waiting on seeing the final product with the engraving then no problem placing my order for the sills
Old 06-01-2002, 02:21 PM
Racer

same here
Old 06-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

for those looking to illuminate them look no further

http://www.creativecarconcepts.com/sill_plates.asp
Old 06-02-2002, 03:59 AM
nItIn

nothing for acura tho? can we get just the illumination piece?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:01 AM
nItIn

Originally posted by nabster
nothing for acura tho? can we get just the illumination piece?
never mind that .. i saw the electroluminiscent plates at the bottom. that explains it!
Old 06-02-2002, 05:36 AM
Suzuka Master

nabster why would you want a door sill from them when austin went through the trouble of getting ours made. Plus this sites charges an arm and a leg. around 150 for sill. I just provided the link for the indiglo back light. thought that might interest some of you
Old 06-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Banned

Okay guys...and unfortunately I am literally leaving right NOW to go out of town...to be back on the 9th. But I saw the silk screened door sills (that bobatimez said looked so bad) and I honestly think that they'll look better than any engraving...much cleaner and more detailed. My only worry is that the little "Type" oval is too small...so we may scale that. Aside from that I'm thinking we'll go with the silk screened. Sorry to jerk you guys back and forth on this...but I honestly don't know WHAT bobatimez was talking about...they look just stunning. So anyway here are two pics...I'll post more later. Yes, we are still doing the engraved...but I think this'll look best. But don't worry we'll see. Here ya go guys...
Old 06-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Banned

(sorry these are small...no time to put the big ones up)
Old 06-02-2002, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
for those looking to illuminate them look no further

http://www.creativecarconcepts.com/sill_plates.asp
How much do these things cost?

Richard
Old 06-02-2002, 02:20 PM
nItIn

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
nabster why would you want a door sill from them when austin went through the trouble of getting ours made. Plus this sites charges an arm and a leg. around 150 for sill. I just provided the link for the indiglo back light. thought that might interest some of you
nah i dont want the door sill from them. i just followed the link u posted for the indiglo sticks .. thats all. wanna combine that with the sills austin is setting us up with
Old 06-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Banned

Okay another...more somber update here. This is an excerpt from an email I received from the manufacturer when I got home:

"Austin, after looking at the gauge bezel we just got from Acura, I really don't think we can do it. It's a 3D piece, and we just can't match it....Also, I've shown Dean and several other guys at the shop the console pieces we're working on, and the agreement is that it won't work. We would have to break the 4 pieces we have into like 7 pieces and that would just look hideous. And even then, it's not a sure thing that the metal won't wrinkle.

I hate to say this Austin, but I really don't think that I can sell the dash kit to you guys. I can't confirm that we'll have the gauge cluster piece or the center console. And the door pieces are adding a lot more to the cost than I anticipated. They take up a lot of metal, and add significantly to the cost...After working through the numbers with Dean last night and today, we came to the conclusion that we'd have to charge $300 just to cover our costs on everything including the design time and prototyping. Essentially, with all the added pieces, our cost doubled. And so far, only 5-6 people have even expressed interest in the trim kits, and that's not even close to what we need to justify the expense of this...As it is, I'm still in the hole for all of this and the door sills havent' sold enough to cover the costs yet..."

So in summary, and no I haven't spoken with him on the phone yet...but they can't manufacture all those pieces for sure, and even if they could it would cost a lot more than they quoted me.

The thing with those pieces...it's not just their shop that can't do it. To make pieces that curve in two dimensions out of metal we would need to forge them...and we're talking about a $700-$800 trim kit then just to cover costs. So come to find out no one can do this...otherwise I just would have gone to another shop.

So the current trim kit does NOT cover to gauge cluster, audio buttons, door pieces, or two center console pieces. I think it still looks good, and I will be getting it...but even so it doesn't cover all the pieces I wanted it to, and there will be that fake wood crap still in the car, which sucks. So it's really up to you guys what you want to do...tell me what you all think.

So I'm not really sure what to do on the trim. Only one person has paid for it, and the manufacturer will refund his money immediately if he likes. They're not even really interested in trying because no one has shown interest. As it is it's enough for me to convince them to stay on with the sills with such little interest shown. The polls promised me big numbers, talking with people promised me big numbers...but they haven't come in...even though I have posted the sill pics. I've gone ahead and put the sills on my car, so now officially one person DOES have a set of door sills on his car. If that helps people with ordering. I'm going to need more interest to push this along...having them now cut the thicker metal they ordered etc etc etc.

So with all that said...here are the pictures...something I see looking at these and holding them up to the real thing...the camera makes these sills look like they have some highly visible pattern...they don't and I don't know why it looks like that. But that extremely brushed look is NOT indicative of how it looks in person...it looks better than that (because I don't like those brush marks so I consider it better). Also any blemishes...including marks in the lettering, is stuff on my camera...not the sills.

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00005.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00006.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00007.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00008.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00009.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00011.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00012.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00013.jpg

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~renfroe/a...s/Dsc00015.jpg

Austin519
Old 06-09-2002, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I just placed my order.

I put down that I wanted CL sills, but I actually want CLS sills!
sorry
- Frank
Old 06-09-2002, 12:50 PM
nItIn

Austin

Welcome back

Does the guy have a computer? if not .. you should print out this thread (in its entirety) and fax it to him.

I trust the members on this board to place the orders (you should atleast get 2/3rds of them). I dont know if they are confused by your pictures of TL sills (not realizing that you drive a TL), or dont realize that the pics you posted are the "final" ones. I must admit that I have not ordered because of the above confusion. Somewhere in some of your last few posts, I gathered that there are still some final changes being made to the engraving or something ... maybe I just didnt read closely enough.

But anyways, I support you. I am going to paypal my money right now. (email address nbatra@crowechizek.com for engraved CL sills)

I hope you can explain to the manufacturer that he will easily have 100+ orders on the sills

--

As far as the trim goes, work through it with him. see if there may be some compromise we can make on number of pieces (not quality) to bring the price down into a reasonable range

Good luck bud!
Old 06-09-2002, 12:53 PM
nItIn

hey austin, is there some way to get the "ordering" thread bumped up ? i am going to go do a search
Old 06-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Instructor

i too send the money about 2-3 weeks ago.........and when can i expect to see the sills at my front door??

Just want to know the ETA

Thanks
Old 06-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Blood Type: S

Door and Center Console Trim

Hey Austin,

I already ordered and paid for both the trim kit and the sills. As for the trim kit, is it definitely not going to happen ... door trim, center console trim, etc??? My interest in the trim kit centered around those two items mostly. Is there a higher price for those pieces that we can pay, or is it completely impossible? I could care less about the trim for the drink holder covers or gauge cluster or ac buttons, but would absolutely love to have it for the doors and center console (^&*%*@^ fake wood)! I would be willing to pay higher for just those peices if at all possible. Forged or whatever it would take. I'm hoping for some type of scenario to make this happen. I was all excited about getting these peices in less than two weeks (except for the door pieces according to Jeff, which was going to take 2 more weeks), but now NOTHING! Let us know, please.

Matt
Old 06-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Austin,

this piece that cannot be made, is it only for the 2nd gen? What about the 1st gen's tirm kit? is it ready or they're having the same problem as for the 2nd gen?

The reason I haven't order yet cuz i'm still waiting on the "final" words for the 1st gen. The only reference I can recall is that to wait on the 1st gen to be finish and there's really no update on either the trim or the sills.

Please let us 1st geners know if these are ready.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Pro

austin,

sorry i had posted another thread on this when i searched this one i didnt find the links of the final product... i like them very much and ias soon as i walk in my office tonigth im e mailing you my order

thanks theey look great
Old 06-11-2002, 06:44 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm ready to order a pair of those sills, but I'm just waiting like a lot of other people until we know someone has actually received their order from those AP Signworks guys.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

Okay now I have GOOD news again...especially after my last post. Everyone read this please.

So before I said the trim kit may not work out. The reason is because the gauge cluster is extremely curved. However, we are making a piece that covers the flat face of the gauges, leaving the curved pieces around the gauges stock. We also ARE making the door pieces...however we still cannot make the console pieces. The plastic pieces are pressure molded to make the plastic curve that way...and there is no similar process for this metal. The closest thing to this is forging...and forging makes the kit's price go up to $500-$800...to cover the costs of forging it...needless to say it's not a solution. And we CAN make trim to cover the console pieces, but in 7 parts or so and it looks terrible...so still no go on that. Everything else IS covered though...which is good. So the trim kit is still a go.

The trim and the sills should be done by the end of this week as expected. They just have to finish fitting the gauge, door, and vent pieces...and cut and silk screen the thicker metal sills. So we're expecting to package them up this Friday and start shipping...and honestly I'm tired of the delays so I'm going to really press if there are any. Let's hope there aren't. All of you that have ordered, don't worry, they're coming. Those that haven't...please do. I will let you guys know of any more updates as I get them! . Whew, avoided a big kink in the plans with that trim.

nabster:
The ordering thread was stickied for a week...yeah if someone wants to bump it that'd be great. As for the final ironing out of stuff, to be honest I am just about certain we're going with silk screened...but we're still going to do the thicker metal with it, and we're still going to try and see what engraved looks like.

popxyz:
The sills and trim should be ready for shipping by the end of this week...so after that thank god all that's left is packaging it and shipping it out to you.

EEPower:
Good news...my announcement above.

Chinisimo:
Final word on the first gens, is two weeks. That is set. Two weeks from Friday we will package up and start shipping them.

Generationz:
Sounds good man

Nitin:
Yeah, I understand that. You just want to see the product actually delivered. I would feel that way too. However, I already have a set myself...which is what I've been taking pictures of...so it's all there...we just haven't finished honing 6 pieces of the trim kit, or had enough thicker metal to cut enough for everyone. So I wouldn't worry so much . It's already been made...no more prototyping.

Austin519
Old 06-11-2002, 09:20 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Size of "Type" logo

Austin,
The last picture you posted of your silk-screened sills showed a very small "Type" icon. You mentioned in your email that might be scaled. Was it made larger for the final version of the sills?

Also, can we expect to see pictures of the engraved sills or has that idea been totally abandoned?

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this!

-Rob M.
Temporarily living in Hell-town...umm, Houston.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Banned

RobOnLI:
It's actually not very small...it's to scale with the Acura design. But I agree...it does look kinda small...maybe not but I'd be interested to see it larger. I expect it to be made larger for the final version yes. We still are expecting to do engraved sills but I really doubt they will be what we sell...I don't anticipate them to look all that good. Take care.

Austin519
Old 06-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Blood Type: S

Austin,

Can we do the center console trim if we are willing to pay for it? As it is now, it would take seven pieces for each strip along center console covering the fake wood...is that correct? I think I would be willing to pay for the forged trim along the console? You say that is what would have to happen to get to look we want, but would cost too much? But can we do it if we want it? The way I see it is I would rather just pay for those two peices and the four pieces on the doors and would be happy? I never intended on using every piece in the kit anyway...I think it would be too much. Actually, I would like the vent trim pieces as well. But I think that is it. You said it would cost between $500-$800 for the trim kit if the center console pieces were forged and included...but how much for just them + the four door pieces + the vent pieces? Can we do it? I expect it would cost more than $225, but that's okay with me in order to get the look I want. I've been trying to get Jeff on the phone, or to return my messages but no luck. Perhaps you can answer this or talk to him about. I'd appreciate it.

Matt
Old 06-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Banned

EEPOWER:
No...so far we basically have no good way to do it. The forging would cost you thousands for those two pieces unless 80 other people pitch in...and even then it'd be too much. The 7 or so pieces aren't feasible because there are lines where the two pieces meet, and of course you'll be able to see those. So that won't look good at all. But as a real answer to your question, yes, you CAN get those two pieces done...it is possible.

I would actually ask you to go through me instead of Jeff. He's pretty busy as is...and the more people bug him the more he'll be slowed down. But really...what you are proposing is not feasible unless you have thousands of people.

But I will let you know what/if we come up with something...and hopefully we will...we usually do.

Austin519
Old 06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks man.

can we get some pics of the installed 1st gen trim kit and sills? i'm going to place the order after i see the pics.

Thanks again
Old 06-13-2002, 10:38 AM
Banned

Chinisimo:
No problem...I believe you asked about the pictures before...as I said...they won't be ready for two weeks so you won't get any pictures until then...and if all the other first gens are like you and don't order until a kit is done... I don't know if the manufacturer will even want to do it . He's scared as it is about so few orders he's been getting...I doubt he'll stick his neck out for first gens if he has no orders at all though. I was able to get him to agree before with the huge mass of "orders" from TL's and CL's...unfortunately those orders haven't materialized...so now it's tighter. Just a worry.

Austin519
Old 06-13-2002, 12:49 PM
Banned

Austin...I'm in...tell me how much again....they look like the Audi S4 ones... (I was looking at my buddies car the other day)
So just email me at dlee@omnicell.com
Old 06-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Banned

moomaster_99:
Actually I already posted about all the ordering info...where have you been??? . But you can call him at 678 468 9041 or email him at sales@ap-signworks.com, his name is Jeff.

Austin519
Old 06-13-2002, 06:21 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Well, I went ahead and placed my order for the CL Type S sills with lettering earlier today. The $55 was sent out through Paypal to ap_signworks@hotmail.com I'll post here as soon as I receive them in the mail. They look great in the pictures!
Old 06-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Banned

Nitin:
Sounds good

And I have some more news for you guys...we've gotten the thicker sills cut and they are going to the shop to be silk screened...we're not going to do the engraved version. We just can't find anyone that does it cheap and makes it look right. So that's set in stone. Also...we are now ONLY shipping the thicker version of sills...only Tim's people got the thinner version, per Tim's and the manufacturer's agreement with Tim having asked for 200 and then deciding finally to back out. So, any of you that were waiting for any final things to be ironed out...they are. The sills are done. The trim is done as well...I just need a CLS and a TLS to meet the manufacturer for a sketch to check the fitment...to make sure all this stuff is perfect. The sills and trim will be shipping all next week.

Some of you asked about chrome trim and sills. It can be done, though at a good bit higher cost and delayed a good bit. The reason for the higher cost is that the chrome just costs more, and is a pain in the butt to cut because it has to be cut perfectly or else it will show it. The reason for the delay is again the need for perfect cutting and thus the machine has to be very precisely calibrated, and that they order chrome on a rare basis. So those of you that will take either chrome or nothing...then ok we'll work you out with the special orders...but I would HIGHLY suggest everyone going with brushed...we have used a material for the trim and a color for the lettering on the sills that looks good in both interior colors. However, I do want you all to see what it looks like:

http://www.maxima.org/forums/showthr...hrome+dash+kit

Next...we only have 40 paid orders and I want to make two things clear. Until you pay, it is not considered an order, and doesn't put you in any list or anything. The manufacturer says there have been a lot of "I'll call you right back and pay" or "I'll paypal it tonight" and then nothing showed up. So realize it's not an order until he receives the money and puts you in the queue. Also, we're not going to be holding on to this groupbuy forever...it's a strain on both me and the manufacturer...so for those of you that have not ordered...I would suggest you do it soon. I will be announcing a date after the first kits ship where we will close this groupbuy...and the retail prices for these kits (sills and trim) are going to be roughly double what they are now. And there will be no negotiating in the future...so if you don't order before the deadline then you're just gonna be screwed.

For those that are holding out to "see the final product"...I already posted pictures!!! I was only missing 6 pieces of the trim kit...all of which have been made....and the sills were just made thicker per your requests. But nothing has changed...so you probably won't see any new pictures. I mean, I can take new ones...but it's the same stuff.

For those holding out to "see if this guy is reputable and ships"...Tim's guys who were getting the thinner versions are already receiving them as of now! The last shipment of their stuff just went out. So that should end that.

Why do I sound exasperated and mad? Because I am exasperated and mad...I have heard reasons for not ordering that I addressed above...and honestly this is making me look really bad guys . Saying "Yeah we're gonna have 200 orders" and then only getting 30-50. If you guys have issues that you need answered before you order PM OR EMAIL ME! And if you were just bullshitting in that poll way back then tell me. <sigh>.

Austin519
Old 06-13-2002, 10:26 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Order sent for CL Type S sills. Will pay via PayPal.

Thanks Austin.

-RM
Old 06-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro

payment sent via pay pal $55

have a nice day
Old 06-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Banned

Austin519
Old 06-16-2002, 11:32 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Austin519
Chinisimo:
Final word on the first gens, is two weeks. That is set. Two weeks from Friday we will package up and start shipping them.

Austin519
OK, I'm sending the money now . . . . .

DONE!

I just ordered a set of door sills for my 1st Gen 3.0CL (w/lettering)!

I sent $55.00 via paypal.com to ap_signworks@hotmail.com

I can't wait to get them! Thanks again, Austin519, for all your hard work!
Old 06-16-2002, 04:07 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by dustbuster4
OK, I'm sending the money now . . . . .

DONE!

I just ordered a set of door sills for my 1st Gen 3.0CL (w/lettering)!

I sent $55.00 via paypal.com to ap_signworks@hotmail.com

I can't wait to get them! Thanks again, Austin519, for all your hard work!
Is the door sill for the 1st gen out already?? I haven't been following it...so let me know..cause i do want a set
Old 06-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Banned

dustbuster4:
No problem man

99CL:
Well I have posted this quite a bit...but basically in two weeks the first gens will be shipping (two weeks from the first day the second gens start shipping...aka this week).

Austin519

Quick Reply: aluminum sills/trim groupbuy (ends July 11)...