423 miles...hhmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
423 miles...hhmmmm

OK--I have 423 miles on my new baby in like a week..(70 mile commute to/from work)--I am approaching the 600 mile mark...Am I to assume I can start to really get on the car after that point...re:Redlining, downshifting, etc...basically drive the car like its meant to be drive.. --or should I wait? As many of you who can chime in as possible would be appreciated...I know its been posted before but its been awhile...
Old 12-14-2001, 08:40 AM
Racer

My dealer told me to wait 'til 1000 on the odo
Old 12-14-2001, 08:43 AM
Drifting

The book says 600, go with the book.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:15 AM
Pro

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
The book says 600, go with the book.
The book also says to only change your oil every 7K miles. If you do that, your going to kill you much faster. I have been changing my oil every 3000-3500 miles since the day i bought it.

As far as the "break-in" period is concerned, I wouldn't start raping her just yet. Start gradually increasing, but don't immediately start red-lining and down shifting. Treat her well, and she will do the same for you!!!
Old 12-14-2001, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Quick Silver

The book also says to only change your oil every 7K miles. If you do that, your going to kill you much faster. I have been changing my oil every 3000-3500 miles since the day i bought it.
And I have been following the book for 40 years without an engine failure. Last car a lowly Chevy Berreta with 350,000 miles.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:05 AM
Pro

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

And I have been following the book for 40 years without an engine failure. Last car a lowly Chevy Berreta with 350,000 miles.
Alright, so you have been following the book for the past 40-years w/o a problem. Do you want an cookie or something?

Doing the math (40 years driving), you are probably somewhere in your mid-50's, or right around that area. I am not talking $hit about your age (I was taught to respect my elders), but I want you to ask yourself a question: "when was the last time you hit redline or did some serious downshifting, just for the hell of it?" If you re-read his original post, he wanted to know when he could start raping his car. Under intense driving conditions, different rules for maintanance come into play. When was the last time you even hit VTEC, on purpose? or redline? If you would have redlined, or downshifted hard on your Berreta, it probably would have exploaded on the spot!

This car was designed for a market of people your age, and thus Acura expected people to play nice with their cars. For the most part, THEY WERE WRONG!!!!!
Old 12-14-2001, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Just wait till you hit 1K. The difference between 600 miles and 1,000 miles is a week of driving/commuting..

IMO
Old 12-14-2001, 02:24 PM
Pro

Quicksilver, take a valium--Chill out
Old 12-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have about the same mileage. I have been flooring it a few times, did 100 a few times. I am light on the breaks though. My car seems fine. I am also driving to NYC for Christmas. So that's a 1200 mile trip each way. I would rather drive a bit harsher now before I take that long of a trip. I also drive straight too. So like 20 hours.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Quick Silver

Alright, so you have been following the book for the past 40-years w/o a problem. Do you want an cookie or something?

Doing the math (40 years driving), you are probably somewhere in your mid-50's, or right around that area. I am not talking $hit about your age (I was taught to respect my elders), but I want you to ask yourself a question: "when was the last time you hit redline or did some serious downshifting, just for the hell of it?" If you re-read his original post, he wanted to know when he could start raping his car. Under intense driving conditions, different rules for maintanance come into play. When was the last time you even hit VTEC, on purpose? or redline? If you would have redlined, or downshifted hard on your Berreta, it probably would have exploaded on the spot!

This car was designed for a market of people your age, and thus Acura expected people to play nice with their cars. For the most part, THEY WERE WRONG!!!!!
I'm over weight so a cookie would not be a good idea. I use SS and downshift often (probably use the transmission to slow the car down as much as the brakes). I don't go out on a race course or abuse the speed limit excessively, and I don't believe in driving behind other cars. I bought the car because of its performance, and visit that performance on a daily basis (until the winter tires were put on). Hitting VTEC and WOT in non racing conditions should not cause your oil to cook, or put you in a non normal oil cycle. I do however believe in synthetic oil. I do not think that Acura missed the boat on who would buy the CL Type-S.. YMMV
Old 12-14-2001, 03:43 PM
6SPDCLS

BULLSHIT

Just REV' away like no tomorrow. I bought my new CLS and I revved it immediately off the lot.

I didn't hit REDLINE but probably 400 rpms away.

I shifted using SS mode throughout all gears up and down. I floored it a few times to show off the acceleration to my buddies. I did this about 10 times while only having 70 miles on the odo.

I have yet to experience any engine problems or transmission problems. I have about 13k on the odo.

I'll agree to let the car break-in properly...so don't excessively push the car to the limit...but don't baby the friggin' car. It's a well built refined HONDA.

When I first bought my integra in 93, I pushed that biach to the limit without breaking it in properly. I have gone to nearly 100k on the odo without one single engine problem or transmission problem.

JUST DRIVE THE CAR LIKE A NORMAL PERSON...ACCELERATE HARD WHEN YOU NEED TO. If it breaks, make Acura cover the warranty costs....that's what a warranty is for