Water rushing forward while breaking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:27 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water rushing forward while breaking sound?

Hello Everyone! I'm new the forum, having only owned my TSX for less then a week. I absolutely love the car, it was love at first sight! My 350Z is jealous and very unhappy as she is about to be sold, not enough driveway space for 2 cars!

Anyways, to my problem: while bringing the car to a fast stop, I hear a water rushing sound on right passenger side, from the middle of the car to the front. It sounds like it's in the body of the car, right below or inside the door! I moved each door back and forth and didn't hear anything sloshing around so I don't think it's in there. Perhaps in the frame, right below the kickplates.

The only time water could have gotten in there is when I was washed the kickplates with soap and water and then rinsed it off with some low pressure water. I have done this with my Z many times with no problems. The amount of water rushing forward sounds like more then I could have ever possibly gotten in there, maybe a half a gallon.

This is very disturbing to me as I never heard anything like this in any car I have owned.

What could it be??

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:04 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
off topic question but why the change from Z to TSX?

Water swishing around? Maybe it's stuck in the body panels somewhere frm awasing?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:13 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That very strange. I dont have that problem, and have not read about anyone else having that problem. Your best bet is you ask teh dealer.

On another note, I am always amazing how people can change cars every year!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:17 PM
9th Gear

I love the Z, but it turned out I couldn't really live without a back seat. I have too many friends and family that I need to haul around, and ridding in the trunk isn't comfortable (yes I have done it!

The TSX is the best of both worlds, great performance and the practicality of a back seat. The A4 and BMW 3 series were also on my list, but for the price the TSX couldn't be beat. The fit and finish is absolutely perfect.

I talked to my friend today, and he said it might be the gas in the tank slushing around. I think he might be right, but the sound of the liquid sounds like it runs the course of the length of the car, not just in the tank.

Any other thoughts?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:18 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Maybe it was gas sloshing around in the tank? Sometimes at certain fuel levels the gas can slosh near the "roof" of the tank. (Of course this would be assuming that the TSX's gas tank is on the passenger side.)
Old 07-28-2003, 12:47 AM
9th Gear

Well I discovered something very disturbing today. On the way to a movie, while stopping I happened to look in the back seat area while breaking and on the passenger side where you rest your feet I saw a PUDDLE OF WATER! The water was at least a half inch high. I SHOULD HAVE FELT FOR WATER EARLIER! ARGH!!!

This sucks BIG time!! My friend and I think it might be the AC not draining water properly from the condensation. There is no other way this MUCH water could have gotten into the car, and it seems to getting worse.

I'm going to take the car into the dealership tomorrow, but this is a complete nightmare. The car is probably going to smell like mold for a long time unless I get the carpet replaced.

What should I do? Ask for a new car or just be happy if they replace the carpet and and fix the problem?

My dream car is turning into a nightmare!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:57 AM
More On

Originally posted by NiteRaven
Well I discovered something very disturbing today.......a PUDDLE OF WATER! ....at least a half inch high.....I'm going to take the car into the dealership tomorrow.....The car is probably going to smell like mold for a long time unless I get the carpet replaced. What should I do? Ask for a new car or just be happy if they replace the carpet and and fix the problem?.....
If it was me, I wouldn't waste any thinking on it now. I'd just bring it in, and hear what they say -- then I would judge that. I wouldn't put any expectations on it in advance. It might make me project a bad attitude, and it would limit my ability to just listen to what they say and evaluate it.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Registered AssHat

I had the same problem on my '99 Accord. The A/C drain was plugged and needed cleaned. But, this is a serious problem. Get it fixed at the dealer right away.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:05 PM
9th Gear

Ok here's an update:

I called Leith Acura in Cary two times and no one answered the phone. I figured it was Monday morning and they were really busy so I took the car in the afternoon. Once I got there a nice service tech helped me out. I explained the problem and was told this exact problem had happened to someone they serviced before. It turned out to be a hose for A/C wasn't connected properly which made all the water drain into his car.

They are going to order new carpet and padding, they are glued to each other. I was told it's really easy to replace, and it should be as good as new. (crossing my fingers!) I was also told all the electrical wires and equipment are underneath the car so they shouldn't be affected

They also gave me a rental car until all of this is fixed. All and all, this is a really crappy thing to happen but it looks like Acura service will come through for me.

Thanks all for your advice!
Old 07-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. Thank your service dealer, looks like they really went out of their way for you.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 PM
9th Gear

My only other concern is rust. Is the floorpan painted, should I worry about this?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
It seems to me that if it was an AC drain problem the front floor would fill with water, not the back.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:41 PM
9th Gear

Update: the car is still in the shop, waiting for the carpet to arrive. They ordered the new carpet with "overnight" shipping but I've been waiting a week already! I went to the shop today to check on my baby as I was really starting to miss her. My heart sunk a little bit when I opened the door and looked inside. The carpet was obviously removed, chairs were in the car but weren't attached, center console was gone, cover over the shifter was removed.... blah.. it wasn't pretty looking. Everything seemed like it came out and off easily so when the new carpet arrives I *hope* everything will come back together in good shape. I was told tomorrow might be the big day.

As they had expected, the A/C drain wasn't hooked up properly which caused the water to drain in the car. The fix took them a minute! I was told they check the drain as part of their check list when they sell the car. I didn't buy the car from them but instead from Asheville, whoops!

Still waiting....
Old 08-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by NiteRaven
Update: the car is still in the shop, waiting for the carpet to arrive. They ordered the new carpet with "overnight" shipping but I've been waiting a week already! I went to the shop today to check on my baby as I was really starting to miss her. My heart sunk a little bit when I opened the door and looked inside. The carpet was obviously removed, chairs were in the car but weren't attached, center console was gone, cover over the shifter was removed.... blah.. it wasn't pretty looking. Everything seemed like it came out and off easily so when the new carpet arrives I *hope* everything will come back together in good shape. I was told tomorrow might be the big day.

As they had expected, the A/C drain wasn't hooked up properly which caused the water to drain in the car. The fix took them a minute! I was told they check the drain as part of their check list when they sell the car. I didn't buy the car from them but instead from Asheville, whoops!

Still waiting....
I understand how you feel man...
Relax tho... And don't go see your baby until she's all fixed up as tho it never happened. I find that works best, mentally at least...
Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
So the way I understand this is the AC drained the water to the front floor board and the water then traveled and settled into the back floorboard? Did you not notice the front carpet being wet in the beginning? I did not realize the back was that much lower than the front. This may be an opportune time to dynamat the floor before they put the carpet back in.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:57 PM
6th Gear

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same problem with my old Prelude, but no mold or other problems, so I'm sure once it's fixed you'll be totally fine.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Pro

Just turn on your heater