Tinting percentage

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM
East Coast Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting percentage

I've looked around and there hasn't been one thread or website that tells you how much percentage you can have to not violate state law.

I called the guy at the tint place and told him I wanted to do some tint and he said that if I get 35%, it would already violate the "must allow 70% light" coming in law. He said that it was a misconception that people think since you want 70% of light coming in, you could use 30%. I am not sure how to decide. I have an appointment with him this Saturday getting 30% Huper Optiks.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by visuelz
I've looked around and there hasn't been one thread or website that tells you how much percentage you can have to not violate state law.
The tint regulation varies from State to State.

"New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW YORK RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law."

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/
Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 PM
East Coast Crew

Yeah but that information is irrelevant when NY tell you that you have to have 70% light coming in. How will I know if my tint will allow that? I only know the darkness is 30%.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced

My understanding is that that is the definition of 30% tint, it allows 70% of the light to pass. The only other way you'll lose some light is from the glass, but I doubt that is enough to really make a difference.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called the guy at the tint place and told him I wanted to do some tint and he said that if I get 35%, it would already violate the "must allow 70% light" coming in law. He said that it was a misconception that people think since you want 70% of light coming in, you could use 30%. I am not sure how to decide. I have an appointment with him this Saturday getting 30% Huper Optiks.
the 30%/70% is the legal limit in NYC as per the thread above.

i need to get tints too. where are you going? possibly the art of tint guy? he quoted me $450 for huper optiks, full lifetime warranty, etc...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How will I know if my tint will allow that? I only know the darkness is 30%.
You can choose which % tint you want on your car. There are different % "grades" - for example limo, 18%, 30%, 50%, 70%. The % is how much light is allowed into the car (this % is made and determined from the manufacturer of the tint).

If you personally want to find out if the tint is really 70% or whatever you choose, there are test and reflective meters.

http://www.promotorcarproducts.com/d...tint-meter.htm
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
East Coast Crew

I got my tint done at 212 Motoring by Tom from the Art of Tint. I got the Huper Optics 30% for 450. The reason I was asking was that a cop pulled over my friend and in the process of writing tickets, the cop pulled out his meter and measured 28%. He had 35% done at that time. Anyway, the Huper Optics are great. I would recommend them to anyone. I had a UPS driver pass by today and he asked me about my tint and said they looked really nice. I feel great! =D
Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool. i'm debating whether to go cheap and opt for the 300 dollar standard tint from him, or go huper optik and pay the 450.

how does he handle appointments? are they done in one day? thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
kai!

my dealership had the tint already on the car - i think they put the tint and the lip spoiler on almost all of the new cars in the lot. i got pulled over for something stupid once, and the cop kept trying to bust me for other random shit, including my tint. he asked me if i knew that my tint was illegal, and i was like no its not illegal the dealership had it on the car before i bought it, why would they sell something illegal on their cars. the idiot cop didnt believe me so he got his dumb little tint detector from his car and told me to roll down my window half way and he slid the glass between the thing and he said, "Man, *chuckle* this is barely legal!"...Moron. anyway i believe my dealership told me it was 30% when i was buying the car and its legal here in Texas at least.

just wanted to give a warning to those of you who dont think it wont happen to them...some cops are just dicks and will try to bust you for anything. it would suck to pay money for expensive tint and have to get it stripped off.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
cool. i'm debating whether to go cheap and opt for the 300 dollar standard tint from him, or go huper optik and pay the 450.

how does he handle appointments? are they done in one day? thanks!
Tom only works at 212 Motoring once a week and that's on a Saturday. It's best to schedule the appointment at the beginning of the week so that you can go in early and get out early. His standard ones cost 275. If you decide to go, tell him that Kevin with the Acura TSX sent you. Maybe he might give you a discount.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Banned

I suggest you go to Lorenzo's Tinting in the BX. He does a fantastic job, get customer service, precise cut-off line, and does everything by hand. Trust me you wont regret it. I got my 3M Color Stable 35% all around for $300(lifetime warranty). I went in at around 4pm and it was hella packed and they took the time to stay late to get my car done. They even give you a free professional hand car wash right after. http://www.lorenzotint.com thats the website and you have to set an appointment. Oh yea they include the moleskins.