They tried to take my baby.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They tried to take my baby.

I was at a Cinco de Mayo party at a friend's apartment from about 8pm to 11:15pm or so. I parked across the street from their complex in a doctor's office parking lot. We were going to head out to the bars. Around 11:15 or so, I walk towards my car with a group of friends, and notice my remote unlock isn't working. Strange, I think. Maybe it was shorted out by the drink someone spilled on it earlier in the night.

Then, I get to the driver's side of the car. The window is smashed wide open.

My heart dropped into my stomach, and it's still there.

Glass all over the front seats and floor and dash. My tint obviously wrecked. Six or seven large gouge marks in the panel ABOVE the door itself, where the morons obviously tried to pry it open with something. The plastic panel below the steering wheel had been ripped off and left on the floor - they tried to steal it. For some reason, the passenger side floor mat was left on the seat. My GPS unit (suction cupped to my windshield) was not taken. No CDs were taken. My Sirius Starmate was not taken. What did they take? My Acura binder containing Owner's Manual, Service Schedule, and my registration and insurance.. Now, they know my address.

I don't know where to begin dealing with this. I had an officer come out and filed a police report, which I will pick up on Tuesday or Wednesday at the station. I'm going to call Geico first thing in the morning. So now, I need to:

- get the window replaced
- get the new window tinted
- get the entire panel above the doorframe repainted, because they gouged down to bare metal and it's going to rust
- get a new registration
- get a new insurance card
- get my radio code back from Acura because the MF's stole it when they stole the owner's manual binder

I am at a loss. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I don't really know how any of this works. Who do I get to fix my window? Acura? Some random glass shop? How about the bodywork - does that get coverage if it wasn't caused by a collision?

I installed my Tanabe MT exhaust today. I was the happiest guy in the world. I drove around listening to that exhaust all day with a shit-eating grin on my face.

I want to be sick. I'm not going to sleep tonight.

I hate everybody.

- Matt.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sorry.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
hoep oyu find thos ebastards.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:19 AM
stick with gunmetal, man!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm scared now.. that sucks man. hope everything works out for ya
Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That really sucks man... F*CK THIEVES!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:31 AM
06 GBM AT TSX + 35% TINT

I would be really worried if they have your address. Have you report it to police yet?

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
hoep oyu find thos ebastards.
and.... someone has slippery finger today.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:00 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Once you're able to chill out (I realize that's easier said then done right now), a few things should occur to you. First, the jokers that did this were obviously amateurs and nervous ones at that. It looks like they weren't able to take anything of monetary value. The paperwork stuff will be a hassle to replace, but doable. All the car repairs should be covered without a deductible since it should fall under the comprehensive section of your policy. If need be, your insurance company I'm sure can recommend a shop to do all the work (I'll probably get burned for this, but considering what needs to be fixed, I'd take it to my dealer who I have a good relationship with). I'd be less worried about the "they know my address" thing. I'm pretty sure they grabbed the book because it was the easiest thing to take and as soon as they discover it's worth nothing, it went into the nearest dumpster (which if you had the presence of mind at the time, you could have checked as soon as you discovered what happened)(again, easier said than done). Like I said, amateurs.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar situation with my BMW 325i that had a very nice radio and some other goodies, but they grabbed my service book with my insurance stuff it in. Found it all a block away. It was a bunch of spinal twits who have obviously no idea about the immobilizer. If they were for real, they would've removed the steering covers as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Port & Polish Everything

http://forums.gen7accord.net/viewtopic.php?t=6345

atleast you did not get carjacked like me
Old 05-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
i have heard of people leaving their valet key in the binder because thats where the dealer put it. so they break the car open, get the binder, and drive off with your car.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:07 AM
boost owns

You all make some good points. Thanks.

So today I went out in the daylight and looked. There's also damage to the chrome trim around the window. In addition, my hood is completely fcked. A good friend who was with me, bless her heart, tried to close my hood while I had it propped up. She bent the hell out of the hood prop and, apparently, also the hood. It is way out of fitment now. I doubt that can be fixed without replacing it. :sigh:

I submitted my claim with Geico and am waiting to get a call from them about it. In a little while, I'm going outside to garbage-bag up my window, and then to find a strong pay-vaccum to get all the glass out of my car with.

Unbelievable.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Pro

really sucks dude, maybe an aftermarket alarm would do you some good bro... good luck with everything
Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
really sucks dude, maybe an aftermarket alarm would do you some good bro... good luck with everything
I'm putting LoJack in the car at the first given opportunity.

I called Geico today. I'm having my glass replaced tomorrow morning at my office, and am seeing an adjustor on Tuesday morning. After that I'm free to get everything fixed wherever I want.

Tomorrow morning, my first stop is at Acura at 7:30am. I have a great relationship with their service group, and will be asking them for reccomendations of the best place to take my car to get it back to 100%. I will be following their reccomendations to the letter.

I just got back from the carwash, where I vaccumed the hell out of the car and got all the glass I possibly could. I'm about to go outside and give my leather and dash/interior a full detailing. I want the thieve's blood off my baby.

Tuesday is a trip to the DMV and to the tint shop to get my new window re-tinted.

Unbelievable.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I hope nobody here ever has to go through this.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Acura TSX 2004 5AT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear your troubles. hope everything works out.

did the car alarm go off? were you too far away to hear it?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
I want the thieve's blood off my baby.
they left blood.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:31 PM
boost owns

Yeah - which was not noticed by myself or the cops last night in the darkness. By the time I realized it today, I doubted there was any point in approaching the police about it.

Re: alarm, I'm sure the alarm did go off - that's why they popped the hood and undid my positive battery terminal (also breaking the red plastic covering on top of it in the process). I did not hear it, we were too far away.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Got Phó?

New law to come in effect shortly: Anyone get caught stealing, get their nuts chop off...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
fucking thieves.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

- get the entire panel above the doorframe repainted, because they gouged down to bare metal and it's going to rust
this is a pain to replace, it runs the entire length of the car. you need to find a really good place that can blend it all the way the length of the body.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I'm putting LoJack in the car at the first given opportunity.
kind of overkill, no one is going to be able to drive your car away w/ the immobilizer, the worst they could do is flatbed it
Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
kind of overkill, no one is going to be able to drive your car away w/ the immobilizer, the worst they could do is flatbed it
If they are targetting TSXs, all they need is an aftermarket or modded ECU (that supports DBW) without an immobilizer to steal your car.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Yeah - which was not noticed by myself or the cops last night in the darkness. By the time I realized it today, I doubted there was any point in approaching the police about it.

Re: alarm, I'm sure the alarm did go off - that's why they popped the hood and undid my positive battery terminal (also breaking the red plastic covering on top of it in the process). I did not hear it, we were too far away.

the blood is/was still good even in its dried state. however, not sure other than having it on file(DNA) that they would use it for anything short of solidifying the case should they catch the jerks. Also, did they dust the car for prints, sorry to sound all CSI, but more than likely with all the stuff done to the car (hood pop, glove box open, etc) they left finger prints, which are probably on file at the police station.....might have been amateurs, but it wasn't the first illegal act they have done, nor the last I bet. Just trying to help with getting some "revenge" for the violation of your stuff. My

Hope it all works out!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
this is why we all need guns! lol shoot them dead where they stand....that's my rant for the day, sorry for your misfortune
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by xizor
yeah +1.. i got the lojack because my parents like the "peace of mind".. suckers.. haha, well the lojack doesn't really prevent break-ins, they just help police retrieve the car if it's ever stolen.. if your car moves 300 feet without your transmitter being in the car, lo-jack is alerted.. but lo-jack doesn't prevent breaking your window and taking your valuables
Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
boost owns

I now have a new pane of glass in my car. That's a relief.

One down... a bunch more items to go. Tomorrow I make a bunch of things happen here.

I see the point about LoJack and the immobilizer. All the same, I will at least be looking into an aftermarket alarm system (and am open to any reccomendations)
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Racer

good luck man
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM
8th Gear

I now have a new pane of glass in my car. That's a relief.

One down... a bunch more items to go. Tomorrow I make a bunch of things happen here.

I see the point about LoJack and the immobilizer. All the same, I will at least be looking into an aftermarket alarm system (and am open to any reccomendations)
I have always gone with DEI electronics products for aftermarket alarms....actually mainly just clifford...my personal favorite is the clifford intelliguard 750. it comes with a nice looking carbon fiber remote has many options to choose from like smart windows (windows up and down by remote) and a bunch of other stuff. my personal favorite is the blackjax feature(standard on the 750). the first time you start the car and every time a door is opened(in case you get held up for your car), you need to put in a code on the plainview 2 switch (2 button switch, you make the code)or the car will die while driving and alarm goes off draws alot of attention especially in the middle of the road. the alarm is a little pricey but IMO well worth the hours of sleep at night.
g/l and sorry man i hate MF's that wont go out and get their own instead they steal from the people who do!
Be Easy!
D
Old 05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
8th Gear

forgot to mention

also clifford recently came out with the intelliguard 770, dont really know much about it yet but i do know that it has a really nice looking remote and probably all of the features of the 750 + more!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by gtg710w
I would be really worried if they have your address. Have you report it to police yet?

and.... someone has slippery finger today.

Drunk-zine browsing.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Wow -- that's really too bad. I am sorry for the destruction caused by those freaking thieves.

As for ID theft. That's serious. You should report to transunion, experian or equifax, and report stolen ID. Protect yourself as much as you can.

I just wanna know, if we lock the glove box; can the thief still get into it and get the registration information out? Actually I'm sure that they can, but how long do they have to finagle with a locked glove box before it is opened?

The glove box is locked with the acura key, and if the thieves had to smash the window to get in (that assumption is that they cannot "unlock" the door); does that mean they would have a hard time getting into a locked glove box as well?